The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-04-2018, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Sometimes when there's a problem, the greatest asset one can have is somebody that just listens. QEQM may not have been renowned for her ability at problem solving but she most definitely was someone to go to when you just needed somebody there to listen to you. Charles found that kind of a person in his grandmother and knew he could always count on her to be there for him.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 07-04-2018, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent

well for her grandchildren, I'd imagine that her age and her having been in the RF for a long long time.. durng times of great social upheaval... from 1923 to - well say the 1970s or 80s.. would probably mean that she wasn't likely to be much help In sovling problems for them.. They would have experienced the 60s and a new way of being royal.. so probably they didn't go to her with problems because they knew she did not have the knowledge or experience to be much help... She coudlnt really take it In, I think that by the late 90s, it wasn't such a big deal for Charles to marry the divorced Camilla.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
Well, I think it was him (Charles) who said it during an interview around her 100th birthday. - It was something about she being a very positive person who pretended that problems didn't exist.
It was also mentioned around her 90th birthday that her grandchildren said that she was not a type of person you could discuss problems with.
Most of these BBC clips (on YouTube) were deleted around 2010, but I have also read about the claim that ''one couldn't go to her with problems'' in a pretty serious article on the internet, think it was in the Telegraph around the time of the Diamond Jubilee in 2012.
The old Telegraph website with the jubilee link is deleted, but you can always go through their archive, although it will take a lot of time to go through the hundreds of Jubilee related articles.

But I found this video from her 85th Birthday in 1985 (which I also thought was deleted), where Royal biographer Christopher Warwick talks a bit about it - watch from 4:18:

Warwick is known as a pretty serious royal commentator, and is without any doubt one of my favourites. - He is also a big fan of the Queen, and that doesn't hurt of course, especially since I'm a BIG fan of hers.

Read about him here: Christopher Warwick
Thank you. I will watch that.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother visited Castle Coole in 1988.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

There was a State Visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to France in 1938. This had nearly had to be cancelled. Elizabeth's mother, Cecilia, Countess of Strathmore died on June 23rd. Why was there no Court mourning?
Old 12-11-2018, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
There was a State Visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth to France in 1938. This had nearly had to be cancelled. Elizabeth's mother, Cecilia, Countess of Strathmore died on June 23rd. Why was there no Court mourning?
There was a mourning period, but they decided to go ahead with the State Visit, after a three week delay anyway because of the importance of Anglo-French relations in the tumultuous prewar times. Because they felt that a wardrobe completely in black for the queen would look bad a new one was hastily made all in white instead.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...II-France.html

How Queen Mother put Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson in Exile: Senior royal called American divorcee a 'naughty lady' as she ensured the Royal Family shunned their wedding

The Queen Mum: The Reluctant Queen, airs on Channel 5 on Saturday at 9pm.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:50 PM
Courtier

I don’t think the situation with Wallis and Meghan are the same. I don’t think the comparisons are remotely fair. Meghan was not a married woman carrying on an affair with Harry. Her marriage was long over before they ever met.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth attended the Maundy Service in 1946.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Serene Highness

Today in Royal History is the 119th birthday of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother born Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon.

The Royal Fly®️
Old 08-26-2019, 06:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Funeral:
Old 11-08-2019, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

During the Second World War, Queen Elizabeth refused to flee England to seek safety for herself and her children. She declared, "I could not possibly leave the King, and the King will never go."

Tags
queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother