The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-08-2017, 05:50 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
Well, she showed to be very vengeful on other occasions, namely regarding Wallis Simpson. She held that grudge for over 60 years.
Some sources relate that in the later years of Wallis' life, the Queen Mum had softened towards her.

Royal Wives at War: Inside the feud between the late Queen Mother and Wallis Simpson - Telegraph

Old 06-08-2017, 11:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
Well, she showed to be very vengeful on other occasions, namely regarding Wallis Simpson. She held that grudge for over 60 years.
Certainly the Duke and Duchess blamed the Queen Mother for the estrangement & the refusal to recognize the Duchess as an HRH, however I've long suspected they were wide of the mark. The person most adamant about not recognizing the Duchess was Queen Mary, she set the tone for the females in the family.
The Duke and Duchess did nothing to endear themselves to the Queen Mother as the years went on. First, David lied about his finances and received the promise of a stipend personally paid by the King, which was money that should have gone to the King's own family. Next, their behavior during the war was a huge problem creating a lot of stress for the King and Winston Churchill. The Duke abandoned his military post in France and after they'd fled they dawdled to the point of almost being kidnapped by the German's and set up to replace the King and Queen when Germany won the war.
David had to be threatened w/ treason to get them safely away. & of course David's public statements in the US advocating peace during the war interfered w/ his government's objectives. Their petty complaints and demands during the war didn't sit well w/ the King and Queen or Churchill who were in the midst of the bombings and seeing daily devastation.
The Duke and Duchess chose the Queen Mother to be a scapegoat and attributed their exclusion to her petty jealousy because that made them sound like mistreated victims, but the truth is they earned the animus of Queen Mary, the King and Winston Churchill & the wartime government because of their actions.
It's great soap opera/drama to lay the blame on a feud between two women, but to do so ignores reality and covers up their own very petty and self centered behavior.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Posts discussing the Queen Mother's relationship / thoughts on Diana have been moved to the Diana's Relationships with The Queen and Other Members of the Royal Family thread.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Nobility

books about the Queen Mother

I just finished reading "The Queen Mother" , by William Shawcross and am almost finished with "The Queen Mother: the Untold Story ..." by Lady Colin Campbell. The Shawcross novel was wonderful, but I am not quite sure what to make of the Campbell book. She takes a hatchet to the Queen Mother's character. How legit is this book? I prefer to think of the queen mother as presented in Shawcross novel.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Its not a novel
Old 06-12-2017, 07:03 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
Certainly the Duke and Duchess blamed the Queen Mother for the estrangement & the refusal to recognize the Duchess as an HRH, however I've long suspected they were wide of the mark. The person most adamant about not recognizing the Duchess was Queen Mary, she set the tone for the females in the family.
Quite ironic considering Princess Margaret is said to have treated Mary with disdain for not being born into royalty!
Old 06-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Quite ironic considering Princess Margaret is said to have treated Mary with disdain for not being born into royalty!
Princess Margaret? Queen Mary's grandddaughter?
Old 06-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I can just imagine Queen Mary's reaction to her granddaughter looking down on her! And actually, Mary's mother was a Princess, Prss Mary Adelaide, granddaughter of King George III.

The only 'disdain' of that sort that I recollect happening in the BRF is Princess Marina of Greece's. She married George Duke of Kent, the youngest son of King George V and Queen Mary, and there is the story that she referred to her sisters in law, Elizabeth, then Duchess of York, and Alice Duchess of Gloucester as 'those little Scotch girls' in a derogatory sort of way. Alice was the daughter of a Scottish Duke and Elizabeth the daughter of a Scottish earl.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I just finished reading "The Queen Mother" , by William Shawcross and am almost finished with "The Queen Mother: the Untold Story ..." by Lady Colin Campbell. The Shawcross novel was wonderful, but I am not quite sure what to make of the Campbell book. She takes a hatchet to the Queen Mother's character. How legit is this book? I prefer to think of the queen mother as presented in Shawcross novel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Its not a novel
Shawcross is as good or as bad as most authorised biographers. No scandal and what is there is the truth, albeit through rose coloured glasses. At least she is not ascribed malicious intent. However, the same cannot be said of unauthorised biographies such that written by Colin Cambell (she was only married to Lord Campbell for nine months).

While Colin Campbell's book my not be "a novel" parts were barely disguised plagiarism, and worse, more was sheer fiction, such as the claim that Elizabeth and her younger brother were born using the family's French cook as a surrogate. Why on earth would the Bowes-Lyon's family employ a surrogate for their ninth and tenth children beggars belief? They certainly didn't need an heir as they had more than enough spares.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Its not a novel
I'm sorry if I misused the word. My question was simply about the reliability the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Shawcross is as good or as bad as most authorised biographers. No scandal and what is there is the truth, albeit through rose coloured glasses. At least she is not ascribed malicious intent. However, the same cannot be said of unauthorised biographies such that written by Colin Cambell (she was only married to Lord Campbell for nine months).

While Colin Campbell's book my not be "a novel" parts were barely disguised plagiarism, and worse, more was sheer fiction, such as the claim that Elizabeth and her younger brother were born using the family's French cook as a surrogate. Why on earth would the Bowes-Lyon's family employ a surrogate for their ninth and tenth children beggars belief? They certainly didn't need an heir as they had more than enough spares.
Thank you. It is very over the top.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I'm sorry if I misused the word. My question was simply about the reliability the book.
but whether it is reliable or not (I believe that Shawcross is pretty much so) it isn't a novel but a biography...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I can just imagine Queen Mary's reaction to her granddaughter looking down on her! And actually, Mary's mother was a Princess, Prss Mary Adelaide, granddaughter of King George III.

I doubt if Margaret woudl have dared, even fi she wanted to.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Her Majesty The Queen Mother at the opening of the Battle of Britain Museum in July 1993.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

H.M.The Queen Mother visits St Edmunds RC School in July 1986

And a tour of East London in August 1990

Old 08-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Visit to St Mary's Church in May 1983,I think the then Archbishop of Canterbury is there too!

Visit to the Theatre Royal in March 1988 to mark its 50 Anniversary

Old 08-04-2017, 02:29 AM
Majesty

Queen Mother and Elizabeth in pictures as the Queen marks her mother’s birthday | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Queen Mother and Elizabeth in pictures as the Queen marks her mother's birthday
Old 08-04-2017, 02:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Some sources relate that in the later years of Wallis' life, the Queen Mum had softened towards her.

Royal Wives at War: Inside the feud between the late Queen Mother and Wallis Simpson - Telegraph
I don't believe that she ever ceased to disapprove of Wallis, that she always thogth that she and David were trivial and selfish, but she was polite and kindly to W when at the funeral...
Old 08-04-2017, 03:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Queen Mother and Elizabeth in pictures as the Queen marks her mother’s birthday | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Queen Mother and Elizabeth in pictures as the Queen marks her mother's birthday
Thanks, eya! I see that the Express has not even bothered to pick out the best pictures.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:31 PM
Nobility

When I read Lady Colin Campbell's book on the Queen Mother, she said that one of the reasons that she kept declining Prince Albert's proposals was because she really wanted to marry Prince Edward (the Duke of Windsor). I have no faith whatsoever in that book and am ashamed I even read it. But now, I am reading "That Woman" by Anne Sebba which is about the Duchess of Windsor and she makes the same claim. Is there any truth to this?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Majesty

From what I understood her reasons for declining were she didn't want to marry into the BRF they were a very different type of family than the one she grew up in ..and she didn't love Albert at the time. That comes from the bios I've read on the Queen Mother and the other members of the family.

LaRae
Old 10-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
When I read Lady Colin Campbell's book on the Queen Mother, she said that one of the reasons that she kept declining Prince Albert's proposals was because she really wanted to marry Prince Edward (the Duke of Windsor). I have no faith whatsoever in that book and am ashamed I even read it. But now, I am reading "That Woman" by Anne Sebba which is about the Duchess of Windsor and she makes the same claim. Is there any truth to this?
It's verified even in the QM's letters (I believe). Miss Elizabeth was being put forward by Queen Mary and King George for David, she was being actively told she was for David and her family believed this enough to jump the gun with an engagement announcement (story goes). Story is that Elizabeth was quite smitten. It was more on her part than his. When he finally told her that marriage was not going to happen between them, she then relented with Bertie.

I have read one commentator's view that the animus Elizabeth felt towards David and Wallis as a couple was more complex than being just about the abdication.

Tags
queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother