The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If its personal insight into the life of the Queen Mother, a very good read was written by her niece, Margaret Rhodes. "The Final Curtsy: A Royal Memoir" is the name of the book.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Commoner

Thank you for all the information and suggestions!

Old 01-20-2017, 05:38 AM
Heir Apparent

A friend of mine collects fine bone china and through the years learned various snippets of information. Paragon china held Royal warrants for both Queen Mary and later Queen Elizabeth the future Queen Mother. Both royals were very fond of their range. Royal Albert china, very floral, was also a favourite as was Aynsley china, though they didn't get an actual Royal Warrant for their wares until the present Queen. Queen Elizabeth would have had old silver on her tables, in flatware and condiments etc.

The Queen Mother apparently sometimes had breakfast in bed, especially as she got older. When she was a young married woman this was a special indulgence when at house parties for wedded women only.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:36 AM
Majesty

Morpeth council cuts down trees honouring Queen Mother | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-01-2017, 02:30 AM
Majesty

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...t-to-australia
Old 03-30-2017, 02:11 AM
Majesty

Queen Mother's letters reveal her bond with Prince Charles | Daily Mail Online

"Touching personal letters from the Queen Mother reveal how she championed a young Charles as he struggled with his "distant" mother"

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/...ly-photographs

"Queen Mother in pictures:Britain marks the 15th anniversary of the beloved royal's death"
Old 04-22-2017, 04:27 AM
Majesty

"Major Colin Burgess reveals what life working with the Queen Mother was like
Even in her mid-90s she would walk to make her lunch appointments on time
Her first drink of the day came by noon - two parts Dubonnet and one part gin"

The Queen Mother was even thirstier and more irrepressible | Daily Mail Online
Old 04-24-2017, 04:09 AM
Majesty

The Queen Mother never allowed Diana to be mentioned | Daily Mail Online

"Don't mention Diana! Charles was the Queen Mum's most cherished grandchild-wich is why , when his marriage ended , she never allowed Diana's name to be uttered in her presence again.. as revealed by her own loyal equerry"
Old 04-24-2017, 08:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
The Queen Mother never allowed Diana to be mentioned | Daily Mail Online

"Don't mention Diana! Charles was the Queen Mum's most cherished grandchild-wich is why , when his marriage ended , she never allowed Diana's name to be uttered in her presence again.. as revealed by her own loyal equerry"
The QM took side for her beloved grandchild. A well known fact and hardly surprising at all. Tough times for everyone in the family.
I'm more interested in the less than flattering portrayal of Andrew ..
Old 04-24-2017, 09:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

This portrayal of Andrew is fairly stock standard. It isn't anything new at all I don't think. It certainly fits with the information that came out at the time he was forced to give up the Trade Ambassador's job.

We all know that the QM favoured the future Kings over the other grandchildren and great-grandchildren (Charles and William over the others). That doesn't mean she didn't love the others but she had a softer spot for them - probably knowing what was ahead for them having been married to a King.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
The QM took side for her beloved grandchild. A well known fact and hardly surprising at all. Tough times for everyone in the family.

Me too. Andrew sounds like a nightmare to work for!

(And, if it's true about Diana calling the wives of equerries and the like, then she sounds as if she was seriously disturbed. I never knew she did that).
Old 04-24-2017, 09:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

It goes to show: despite all the titles, castles, money, pomp and pageantry that surrounds the royals, they're just as dysfunctional as any other family. No perfect families on this planet.

The Queen Mother sounds like a typical mother and grandmother of her time, warm and cold as hell when she feels like it. Margaret sounds like any other bratty and spoiled daughter. Andrew reminds you of the uncle you'd rather avoid if you can. Charles reminds you of the rich entitled first born who lives in his own world. Diana reminds you of the wife that will leave you sleeping with one eye open some nights.

The Queen reminds me of a kind woman, but don't abuse her kindness.

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-30-2017, 08:16 AM
Gentry

Why did the Queen Mother take so long to move out of Buckingham Palace after King George's death?

She moved to Clarence House in May 1953, just weeks before the coronation as far as I recall.

It seems that she was really resentful of her daughter taking the top spot and wanted to cling to it for as long as possible. When the Queen and Prince Philip moved to BP in May 1952, they had to stay in more modest quarters because the Queen Mother was still using the grand rooms all for herself.

Apparently she was waiting for Queen Mary to die so she could move to Marlbough House, much bigger and lavish than Clarence House.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

No totally surprising, if true. Given the era The Queen Mother was born in. I'm not sure the late King was like that though.
'Queen Mother was racist against black people' | Daily Mail Online

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

If true it is reprehensible by today's standards. However the Queen Mother was born in 1900 at a time when Britain had an Empire and was ruling large portions of Africa and other parts of the world. She was well into middle age before it all finished and obviously kept the prejudices of her time, if we believe Sir Roy. It's of a piece with the Duke of Windsor's anti-semitism and George Duke of Kent's very right wing views. Another place, another time.

There's nothing I've ever read that shows that King George VI ever expressed similar views, and it's certainly not true of the Queen.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
Why did the Queen Mother take so long to move out of Buckingham Palace after King George's death?

She moved to Clarence House in May 1953, just weeks before the coronation as far as I recall.

It seems that she was really resentful of her daughter taking the top spot and wanted to cling to it for as long as possible. When the Queen and Prince Philip moved to BP in May 1952, they had to stay in more modest quarters because the Queen Mother was still using the grand rooms all for herself.

Apparently she was waiting for Queen Mary to die so she could move to Marlbough House, much bigger and lavish than Clarence House.
Clarence House was refurbished for Queen Elizabeth, to serve as her new residence. To the wishes of the new residente, the Morning Room was created in the space that had been The Duke of Edinburgh’s study. A Georgian marble chimneypiece was installed in the main salon.

New plaster ceilings were made with her own crown. The whole mansion was re-decorated to the wishes of Queen Elizabeth. She made a habit of calling foreign royals visiting the United Kingdom for a traditional English Tea.

So nothing resentful towards her daughter or "clinging" onto something but simply a matter of logistics, in my humble opinion.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
If true it is reprehensible by today's standards. However the Queen Mother was born in 1900 at a time when Britain had an Empire and was ruling large portions of Africa and other parts of the world. She was well into middle age before it all finished and obviously kept the prejudices of her time, if we believe Sir Roy. It's of a piece with the Duke of Windsor's anti-semitism and George Duke of Kent's very right wing views. Another place, another time.

There's nothing I've ever read that shows that King George VI ever expressed similar views, and it's certainly not true of the Queen.
Very true Curryong and I hope that historians will keep this in mind when discussing the public figures of that era.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Clarence House was refurbished for Queen Elizabeth, to serve as her new residence. To the wishes of the new residente, the Morning Room was created in the space that had been The Duke of Edinburgh’s study. A Georgian marble chimneypiece was installed in the main salon.

New plaster ceilings were made with her own crown. The whole mansion was re-decorated to the wishes of Queen Elizabeth. She made a habit of calling foreign royals visiting the United Kingdom for a traditional English Tea.

So nothing resentful towards her daughter or "clinging" onto something but simply a matter of logistics, in my humble opinion.
I didn't know Clarence House had to undergo such extensive renovations. That makes sense now.

However, from what I know the Queen Mother was not a fan of CH, calling it "that horrid little house".
Old 06-08-2017, 03:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Charles was the Queen Mother's favorite grandchild, period. I could see Sarah Chatto being her favorite granddaughter.

Charles was probably Margaret's favorite nephew, since he was her eldest nephew, when she was 18.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
realy? The QM has her faults but she would be a very nasty woman if she really thogth lke this.
Well, she showed to be very vengeful on other occasions, namely regarding Wallis Simpson. She held that grudge for over 60 years.

Tags
queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth the queen mother, queen mother