The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-12-2015, 10:05 PM
Serene Highness

Interesting that you don't think Catherine Howard actually committed adultery. I've always assumed she did based on the letter and the testimony of several of her ladies. I'll have to check to see if she denied it after the letter was uncovered. I seem to recall that she was fairly resigned to her fate and didn't use a confessor at the end.

I also agree that Katherine of Aragon probably wasn't the flirtation type. She was very religious and probably wouldn't have responded well. The point I was trying to make is that some men think that flirting is almost gallant. They believe they are flattering women even if they have no intention of following through. I've always imagined Anne Boleyn as the ultimate flirt.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, agree on the Court gentlemen and the fashion of flirting was in vogue at certain times.

I just feel that Katherine going all the way and committing adultery would have been too, too risky. Of course I could be completely wrong! People react so differently when they are terrified don't they,( viz Lady Rochford,) others become resigned and almost apathetic? Testimony given under those circumstances must always be suspect, I think. Back to my books on Catherine, I think. I haven't read about her for so long!

Old 03-14-2015, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

How many fingers did Anne Boleyn have?

How many fingers did Anne Boleyn have? History Extra explains... | History Extra
Old 04-16-2015, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Tudor Family portrait discovered at Boughton House!

Elizabeth I: what does this forgotten portrait discovered at Boughton House in 2008 tell us about her? | History Extra
Old 05-31-2015, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Henry VIII's evidence to support break with Rome turns up in Cornish library

Henry VIII's evidence to support break with Rome turns up in Cornish library | Culture | The Guardian
Old 06-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Choral music not heard since era of Henry VIII has been played for first time in 500 years.

Video: Choral music not heard since era of Henry VIII has been played for first time in 500 years - Telegraph
Old 06-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Courtier

Transcendent, beautiful!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, very sublime and powerful.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Just stunningly gorgeous. Gave me chills.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Tudor Times;Henry VIII

http://tudortimes.co.uk/people/henry-viii
Old 06-24-2015, 03:30 AM
Commoner

June 24, 1509 – Coronation of King Henry VIII of England

Henry VIII’s first wife Catherine of Aragon was crowned with him. His second wife Anne Boleyn was crowned on June 1, 1533. Henry’s four other wives were never crowned.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

7 Surprising Facts About King Henry VIII

http://www.biography.com/news/henry-...iography-facts
Old 07-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Anne Boleyn’s last secret

Anne Boleyn’s last secret - The Spectator
Old 07-03-2015, 07:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

An interesting article - thanks for posting. I had always thought it was Henry granting Anne's request. This account make sense in terms of Henry's rationale about executing his Queen.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Heir Apparent

It was an interesting hypothesis. However, there is some evidence the the French swordsman/executioner was sent for as early as the 9th May (well before Anne's trial.) The rate of travel in those days, horseback and then by small ship across the Channel (after the summons by Henry), points to this. It all took time.

There had been the possibility of Anne being burned at the stake for her supposed treason. The fact that she was to be given a merciful death (by sword) may well have been used as a bargaining tool to secure her agreement to the annulment of her marriage. Henry wanted as little trouble and publicity as possible regarding Anne's demise. He was looking forward to his nuptials with Jane Seymour.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
7 Surprising Facts About King Henry VIII

http://www.biography.com/news/henry-...iography-facts
Very interesting article. I was surprised that there is a line of thought that Henry wasn't good with the ladies.

Obviously, being king made him very attractive to a lot of women, but I read that Henry was considered very good looking and was charismatic and courtly.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Very interesting article. I was surprised that there is a line of thought that Henry wasn't good with the ladies.

Obviously, being king made him very attractive to a lot of women, but I read that Henry was considered very good looking and was charismatic and courtly.
Yes he was considered good looking while young; at the time of Anne Boleyns death he was allready old, thickset, with a wounded leg that oozed puss etc. from a fall from his hours while hunting or jousting (cant remember which)
Old 07-03-2015, 12:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
Yes he was considered good looking while young; at the time of Anne Boleyns death he was allready old, thickset, with a wounded leg that oozed puss etc. from a fall from his hours while hunting or jousting (cant remember which)
Old? He was just 45 then, flower of an age for a man!
I read somewhere that after the death of Jane Seymour he fell into depression and stopped caring for his own health.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Courtier

Well do look at the beautified pictures of him around that times es well you have reports about his leg and his getting fat.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Majesty

Thank you An Ard Ri for another fascinating article.

Of all the men who were unjustly executed with Anne, the fate of Henry Norris always strikes me as particular testimony to Henry's cruelty. How awful.

Tags
anne boleyn, anne of cleves, biography, british history, catherine howard, catherine of aragon, catherine parr, catholicism, church of england, elizabeth i, henry viii, jane seymour, pope, queen consort, syphilis, tudor