The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM Queen Catherine View Post
...Mary had "submitted" to Henry in 1536, acknowledging his position as head of the Church of England, among other things. After Jane Seymour's death, Mary was permitted to live in the royal residences and was granted her own household again.
Did Mary have to sign something to come back to court? Was she upset with herself after doing this? Since she was such a devout Catholic, it must have been hard to submit to the belief that her father was head of the church.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Commoner

I thought that Mary had to sign a document acknowledging that her mother and father's marriage was invalid and always had been, and that she herself was a bastard. I'm sure she felt horrible about it. It probably haunted her for the rest of her life. Even though she signed it after her mother's death, I'm sure she felt that she had betrayed her mother, herself, and her own religion. I don't think she would have done it if she did not think it was absolutely necessary, but I don't think that made it any easier for her. She was probably advised to do it to avoid unnecessary conflict with her father. She might actually have been thinking way ahead. If she didn't sign it, there was not chance that she would ever be queen most likely, even if her father didn't have a male heir in the future, and she would have wanted to be queen to restore Catholicism later on.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Serene Highness

From a legal point of view, and being Henry's daughter, I am sure Mary rationalized that the document was void since she signed it under duress and not of her free will. Henry often came up with rationalizations for not validating treaties he had signed.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Nobility

The document she signed on 22 June 1536 was a formal "submission", in which she begged pardon of the king whom she had "obstinately and disobediently offended", renounced "the Bishop of Rome's pretended authority", and acknowledged the marriage between her father and mother to have been contrary to the law of God. And she only signed it after being placed under extreme pressure by Cromwell.

It should be noted, that Mary signed this paper without reading it. By the advice of Chapuys, the imperial ambassador, she made a private protestation that she had signed it under compulsion. She surely did this knowing that Chapuys would relay it to both the Emperor and the Pope in Rome, thereby attesting her loyalty to the Catholic faith.

It should also be noted that Mary was not restored to the succession until 14 July 1543, when the Third Succession Act was passed by Parliament. Henry was by then married to his last wife, Catherine Parr.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Gentry

I've always wondered if Henry ever did really love any of his wives.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Serene Highness

I think he must have loved Katherine of Aragon at one time and undoubtedly loved, or lusted, for Anne Boleyn. Jane Seymour may have been a calm alternative to Anne and perhaps Henry merely sought a consort who could, and would, produce a male heir. Anne of Cleves was a disastrous (at least for Henry) marriage of convenience, and he probably lusted for Katherine Howard. As for Parr, maybe Henry at last just wanted a companion.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Commoner

I think Henry really loved Jane Seymour. Many historians think so, simply because of the fact that he waited for 2 years after her death to remarry, and also, he didn't really want to think about remarrying after her death for a long while. I think he also sort of loved Katherine Howard in his own way, because she made him feel young again. He took the fact that she was cheating on him extremely hard.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian85033 View Post
I think he was more in love with being in love than with the person.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I don't know if he was capable of "love" in the way that a husband should love his wife. If you love your wife, you don't discard her for the next pretty thing if she can't bear you a son or if her looks start to fade. You don't make up rumors about them and have them executed.

Henry was more in love with the idea of being married than he was with the women he was marrying.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Anyone see that recent Documentary of him on National Geographic Inside the body of Henry VIII or something?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Serene Highness

No but it sounds from the documentary's title that it speculated about the general state of his health and maybe how his corpulence hastened Henry's death.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Serene Highness

I did! It was pretty interesting, especially when one of the researchers did the grocery shopping for Henry VIII!! OMG. It's amazing he lived as long as he did. Interesting, but too much speculation.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Gentry

Do you know where I can buy it?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Serene Highness

Go to natgeotv.com. I would say you should find it there.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Gentry

Thanks. Though, is it available on dvd?

BTW, did Jane Seymour die in childbirth, or did she die afterwards? Like, did they not take care of her, having her go to her son's christenings right afterward and all that?
Old 04-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Serene Highness

She died about 11 days after giving birth from a massive infection.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

BTW, did Jane Seymour die in childbirth, or did she die afterwards? Like, did they not take care of her, having her go to her son's christenings right afterward and all that?
It's not like they did not take care of her per say, they did not know HOW to take care of her. An infection was rather lethal back then. Children died of ear infections which these days we have the "little pink bottle" in the fridge to take care of that.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Commoner

Actually, I don't think Jane attended Edward's christening.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:

It was firbidden for a woman of nobility to attend their childs christening in those days. They called it "laying in" and it lasted around 30 days. Because of infant mortality rates babies were christened as soon as possible, so the Godmother normally attended on behalf of the mother. The images of Jane apparently attending her sons christening are thought to be Gertrude Blount, Marchioness of Exeter.

Henry VIII is fascinating to me. I've spent so many years researching into his reign in particular. In reply to the first post, Henry's marriage to Catherine was legal. At the time Catherine married his brother they were both young and rarely unaccompanied by guardians. In addition to this, Arthur was very poorly and many historians have provided proof that his father Henry had suggested he would have to bed her himself in order for her to concieve. Aside from this, Henry VIII wanted to do right by her and had much in common with her. Don't forget that Catherine was a well educated, beautiful Spanish princess - everyone wanted her. She came from a long line of nobility and fertility. By marrying her he secured Spanish alliances and had high chances of male heirs (although that didn't map out)...
The pope sent a dispentation proclaiming that her first marriage was unconsumated (that's what it all came down to). It didn't matter that she was married, the bible only said "laying" with you brothers wife meant no children...which was silly considering Mary was alive and well. It's well known that the whole charade was based around Henry's desire to have a child with Ann Boleyn. He even offered to make any child they had legitamate if Ann dropped her desire to be queen!

If you read into his relationships with all his wives you'll see a pattern of him tiring of his wives having an opinion, and not having male heirs. Through it all though he was married to Catherine for 24 years (before the situation arose), there's no doubt that he really did love her, he just loved the idea of a non stop tudor reign more.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:46 AM
Gentry

A few things:

Princess Mary was baby Edward's Godmother and Princess Elizabeth carried the christening cloth they wiped the baby's head with.

Actually, according to documents of the time, Prince Arthur is definitely believed to have consummated the marriage. There were many signs, including the fact that Katherine was moved extremely carefully after he died to another palace in case she might be pregnant. They would not have taken those measures if they thought she had no chance of being pregnant. Also, the Pope was not even sure and issued the dispensation stating that the marriage "might have been consummated." The Spanish Ambassador also wrote King Ferdinand that the marriage had been consummated. It was Katherine's "Duella" , a woman who acted sort of as a nanny to a child and a chaperone to a young woman, who wrote the king and told him his daughter's marriage had not been consummated. However, the Duella's letter is suspect because it would ahve kept Katherine in her sphere of influence and therefore employed.

Also, the Castille women did NOT have a good record of Fertility at all. In fact Katherine's sisters children were mostly all stillborn or died soon after birth. Henry would have known this before marrying Katherine.

Tags
anne boleyn, anne of cleves, biography, british history, catherine howard, catherine of aragon, catherine parr, catholicism, church of england, elizabeth i, henry viii, jane seymour, pope, queen consort, syphilis, tudor