The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Commoner

Does Henry VIII have living decendants that we know of, as of today? I suppose they would be born to his illegimate offspring then, but I always wondered if there were any nowadays... :)

Old 05-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Courtier

No he does not, He only had three children that lived to adulthood and they all died without issue.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Nobility

It's unlikely but possible he has illegitimate descendents alive today. His bastard son Henry Fitzroy died as a teenager leaving no descendents, but it has been speculated that some of Mary Boleyn's kids might have been his- she was his mistress, although she was married. Anyone know of any descendents of her children? Henry had no other rumored illegitimate children, but he did have mistresses. Obviously, he never had another illegitimate son other than Fitzroy, or he would have acknowledged the child, one thinks, unless the paternity was uncertain.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Courtier

It was Mary's son Henry Carey that was rumored to be Henry VIII's son he was said to look alot like the King but the King never claimed him she also had her daughter Cathreine Carey, she only had two other children from her second marriage Anne Stafford and a son Edward he only lived to about the age of 10 years old I believe. I read somewhere there was decendents of Mary boylen. I know she had grandchildren her grandson Lord Hunsdon got or claimed the Boylen family title of (Earl of Ormonde) but that was around 1597 or so i am not sure after that. I will have to look it up.

Wow I just read that Henry Carey and his wife Ann Mogan had 12 children and his sister Catherine had 15 it seems more and more likely that Mary Bolyen would have some decendents...
Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have been looking and I have found quite a few descendants of Mary Boleyn alive today, so there may be descendants of Henry VIII around.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

When he was having the Affair with Lady Mary was he Married Divorced ect ect
Old 05-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Married to Catherine of Aragon. After all, having a mistress (or multiples) was de rigeur for a king, wasn't it?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Nobility

I think he had been certain about the paternity of Mary's son he would have said so, but it's still possible he was the father. Lettice Knollys, I believe a descendent of Mary Boleyn was suspiciously a look alike to Elizabeth I. Of course they were cousins through the Mary B and Anne B but still. I'm sure Henry also had mistresses that time didn't record.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Royal Highness

For those of us who want to know apparently there's a new book coming out called Mistresses of Henry VIII by Kelly Hart. I saw it advertised in Majesty magazine today... according to the ad, there were a dozen ladies.

Among the ones listed: Bessie Blount; Mary Boleyn; Lady Anne Stafford; Jane Popincourt, his sisters’ French tutor; poet Mary Shelton; Elizabeth Amadas, a ‘witch and prophetess’; Elizabeth Brooke; Étienette; Anne Bassett, her stepfather was H8's illegitimate uncle; as well as women he kept in secret houses and the wives of two of his close friends. I had never heard of some of these so I can't vouch for the accuracy of the book -- but it should be interesting.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Nobility

Thanks for letting us know! Yes, that book does have a timely topic- as I am quite curious on this issue and so are a number of others. I wonder what if the book considers the issue that he might have had illegitimate children other than Henry Fitzroy, his son with Elizabeth Blount, who died in his teens.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Royal Highness

I don't know... but my guess is, that if Henry had been aware of an illegitimate son, he would have tried some legal maneuvering to get it legitimized. I wasn't aware that he had tried that with Henry Fitzroy, but I guess he did... not that it mattered in the end. (And wouldn't that have messed up the rules governing succession when that came to Charles II and his herds of children??)
Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Nobility

I agree if he had other illegitimate children, that is sons, he seems not to have been aware of them. Henry Fitzroy died in his teens but I believe Henry had already married him off and would have used him as regards the sucession if Edward had died before Henry. Henry was a man obsessed with sons, yet both his known sons died young, and it was his daughter that saved England, and ruled a long time. Anyway, I look forward to that book.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

From what I have read about Henry he was willing to shower honours on his illegitimate chidren but would never ever make them Kings of England. What he wanted was a legitimate heir,he believed that only a legitimate heir would be safe and continue the monarchy.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
From what I have read about Henry he was willing to shower honours on his illegitimate chidren but would never ever make them Kings of England. What he wanted was a legitimate heir,he believed that only a legitimate heir would be safe and continue the monarchy.

He not only believed in the necessity of the heir being legitimate he also had to be male, as he believed that only a King could properly rule the country.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Nobility

He did briefly entertain the idea of doing something with Fitzroy and the sucession though. He had Fitzroy be given a title ( Duke of Richmond?) I think and married him off to a member of the nobility. I believe there were observers of the time who thought he might use Fitzroy in the sucession if he had to, but that never came to pass. Still, the idea crossed the minds of contemporaries, and it seens Henry too.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I agree! I believe that Mary had better chances for being designated heir-presumptive than Fitzroy. Henry VIII wanted a male heir indeed, but I think legitimacy was more important to him. He wanted his children by Anne Boleyn to be legitimate so badly that he broke off with Rome - which is a major decision! Had he not cared about legitimacy, he would have never bothered with establishing a new church in order to marry his mistress.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Nobility

I think he would have prefered a legitimate heir, yes. I think he wouldn't have used Fitzroy as a possible heir unless he had gotten desperate, but I think he had the possibility at the back of his mind. There was the idea of Mary and Fitzroy marrying- but in the end he was married off young to a noblewoman. As it happened, Henry did get a legitimate son so Fitzroy never was used, and Fitzroy died young anyway.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Royal Highness

I think it would have been a very tricky issue to legitimize a bastard son.

To set the chronology straight, Henry Fitzroy died in July 1536, and Edward VI was born in October 1537, so it wasn't a matter of Fitzroy being replaced by Edward VI, Fitzroy was already dead.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Angel View Post
There was the idea of Mary and Fitzroy marrying.
Could you please provide a source for this statement? I find it hard to believe that anyone seriously considered arranging marriage between brother and sister in a 16th-century-Christian-kingdom
Old 05-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Royal Highness

That couldn't have been a serious idea, could it?

Even though I can't give a footnote for it, I think Henry was concerned very early on about the possibility that he might have committed incest by sleeping with his brother's wife (and thus he deserved punishment from God, so no sons), so this would really have been an outrageous idea.

Tags
anne boleyn, anne of cleves, biography, british history, catherine howard, catherine of aragon, catherine parr, catholicism, church of england, elizabeth i, henry viii, jane seymour, pope, queen consort, syphilis, tudor