The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-20-2009, 05:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Angel View Post
But to my knowledge Anne wasn't the type to read religious works or be very interested in religion (besides of which it could be a very dangerous interest in Henry VIII's England, and it almost got Katharine Parr in trouble).
I agree with you. It's no wonder that Anne of Cleves wasn't religious. Her father was Protestant and her mother was Roman Catholic; she was raised as (nominal) Protestant, but converted to Catholicism when she came to England because Henry VIII expected her to do so. Being raised in a multi-religion family and easily converting as an adult doesn't indicate religiousness.

Quote:
Catharine of Aragon was very religious, so was Katharine Parr (in very different ways).
What you've said here is very interesting! I've never thought about it! The first and final wife were indeed both religious, but in totally different ways. Catherine of Aragon was a blind follower of the Roman Catholich Church and spent much time praying, while Catherine Parr spent much more time thinking about her religion and considering various Christian denominations. The fact that Henry VIII didn't like their religiousness is also common to both of them. To Henry VIII, Catherine of Aragon was too firm, while Catherine Parr was too flexible.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
Her father was Protestant and her mother was Roman Catholic; she was raised as (nominal) Protestant, but converted to Catholicism when she came to England because Henry VIII expected her to do so.
Henry VIII expected Anne of Cleves to convert to Roman Catholicism ? I don't understand.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Nobility

Yes, he expected her to convert to Catholicism because in Henry VIII's England, the religion as practiced was Catholicism, just without the Pope. Henry wasn't Protestant as we would understand it, he was Catholic to his grave with the exception that he said the Pope had no authority over the Church of England, and Henry had of course closed the monasteries as well and had them destroyed, stripping them of their wealth.But The Church of England of Henry's day was not the later Anglican Church of England, it was Catholic, although not with the Pope included, as Henry was head of it.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieS View Post
Henry VIII expected Anne of Cleves to convert to Roman Catholicism ? I don't understand.
Like Grace Angel explained above, Henry VIII expexcted Anne of Cleves to convert to Catholicism (not Roman Catholicism)
Old 03-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Nobility

Anne was ahead of her time on the religion issue. Elizabeth I was too, maybe she saw something in Anne's example. In that way, Anne was modern than women such as Katharine Parr and Catharine of Aragon. It's too bad we don't know more of Anne's looks or character, but I think her life can be regarded as fairly sucessful, she seems to have been happy.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Like Grace Angel explained above, Henry VIII expexcted Anne of Cleves to convert to Catholicism (not Roman Catholicism)
I understand now.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Courtier

Is David Starkey the reincarnation of Henry VIII? - Telegraph

"Henry VIII: Mind of a Tyrant will be shown on Channel 4 on Monday 6 April at 9pm."
Old 03-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

BTW, that Sunday gossip magazine Parade has reported that Joss Stone will be playing Anne of Cleeves on The Tudors.
PARADE Magazine | Joss Stone: I Like Being a Free Spirit
Old 03-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Commoner

she is a wee bit attractive to be playing Anne of Cleves, and I was dissapointed Anne Boleyn never had those famous black eyes...but I'm so impressed with the direct quotes in the script from letters and state papers.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Laura View Post
she is a wee bit attractive to be playing Anne of Cleves, and I was dissapointed Anne Boleyn never had those famous black eyes...but I'm so impressed with the direct quotes in the script from letters and state papers.
I agree. But then I always found Anne of Cleves by Holbein to be very attractive. Too bad Great Harry did not!
http://www.thehudsonschool.org/renas...r/04cleves.jpg
Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Commoner

Holbien painted her sweetly...but the portrait of her in the orange and black dress by a flemish artist is perhaps more realistic...her eyes are much more droopy, the nose longer, her figure gangly...but she had dignity!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Nobility

Something about Joss Stone's face does remind me quite a bit of Anne of Cleves, at least the way she's she painted in the Holbein portrait, which maybe a bit idealized. Joss Stone maybe too glamourous though for this role. But she's not as glamourous as some singers, actresses they could have gotten.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Something about Joss Stone's face does remind me quite a bit of Anne of Cleves, at least the way she's she painted in the Holbein portrait, which maybe a bit idealized. Joss Stone maybe too glamourous though for this role. But she's not as glamourous as some singers, actresses they could have gotten.
Glamourous is not the word I would use to describe Joss Stone. Hippie, flower child, earthy, yes, but glamourous, not so much. . .
Old 03-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Nobility

Well, Anne of Cleves wasn't too glamourous either, so maybe that fits.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Courtier

BBC NEWS | UK | Henry VIII armour to be exhibited

"Henry VIII: Dressed to Kill runs from 3 April to 17 January 2010-Tower of London."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...waistline.html

"How Henry VIII dressed to kill despite his rapidly expanding waistline."
Old 04-02-2009, 05:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Divorced, beheaded, died. Divorced, beheaded, survived. Itís a simple little mnemonic, a rhyme many of us learned at school to remember the fate of Henry VIIIís six wives.

Daily Express | Express Yourself :: The many mistresses of Henry the Eighth
Old 04-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Divorced, beheaded, died. Divorced, beheaded, survived. Itís a simple little mnemonic, a rhyme many of us learned at school to remember the fate of Henry VIIIís six wives.
I've always wondered: how much of British history do children learn in British schools? I mean, the British history itself is rich, let alone the rest of the history of Europe and Asia. So, how much details of British history were you taught? Did you need learn all the British monarchs by heart and such things?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Glamourous is not the word I would use to describe Joss Stone. Hippie, flower child, earthy, yes, but glamourous, not so much. . .
I love Joss Stone and the fact that she dose not wear shoes is great lol ........ Free spirit is the word i would use to descrbe her ...
Old 04-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Speaking of Tudors on TV, have they gotten that far yet? Wonder what they would say about it. . .

No, they have just killed Anne B. and we have been shown some of Jane S it starts in 7 days here... I can't wait love that show !!!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I've always wondered: how much of British history do children learn in British schools? I mean, the British history itself is rich, let alone the rest of the history of Europe and Asia. So, how much details of British history were you taught? Did you need learn all the British monarchs by heart and such things?

I'm American, but in America a few years ago I had a young British woman as a professor in college teaching a class on British history from the reign of James II to World II. She had been educated in England until college. She wasn't an expert on British history, hadn't studied it in college, it wasn't her area, but she was supposed to teach a class in it since apparently there was nobody else in the department to do so, and it was her own country. She knew enough about British history in general, but she sure didn't know much about English royalty, except the basics, and me and another girl also American knew more about English royalty than she because people would have questions about English royalty, and we'd answer them, she'd say, I'd have to look that up. She knew the politics, but not much about British royalty otherwise, which she freely admitted. She went to Harvard in America, but I'm not sure what her education was back in England.

Tags
anne boleyn, anne of cleves, biography, british history, catherine howard, catherine of aragon, catherine parr, catholicism, church of england, elizabeth i, henry viii, jane seymour, pope, queen consort, syphilis, tudor