The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-12-2017, 05:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Henry VIII spent £6m a year on alcohol, £3.5m on meat - and his second divorce cost him £30m - Mirror Online

Old 03-09-2017, 04:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Want to be King of the Castle???

Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn's honeymoon mansion is on sale | Daily Mail Online

Old 03-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Might be haunted as it was once owned by the Duke of Buckingham whom Henry had executed in 1521!
Old 03-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Catherine Parr 'penned words' to Thomas Tallis piece | Daily Mail Online

"How Henry VIII's final wife Catherine Parr had a secret song writing talent and rallied the country behind"
Old 06-01-2017, 08:41 PM
Aristocracy

The problem with Henry was he was a hypocrite he slept with Anne Boylen sister so the same issues spoiled to them and in fact he made that argument when he tried to get an annullment.

I don't blame Catherine for fighting for her daughter got for her. As for Mary being this awful bloody thing she was no more bloody than her sister. Huge amounts of Catholics died under Elizabeth. Only 275 people died for heresy under her reign and heresy was often linked with rebellion. She herself said she did not want to compel. Bloody Mary is very much a case of winners writing history.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Why can't people remember that Mary reigned for 5 years and Elizabeth almost 50; so it says something that Mary killed so many in such a short amount of time compared to her sister.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 11-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

In 1511 the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I made King Henry VIII a gift of the best suit of armor in Europe, from Germany, in honor of King Henry's prowess in jousting at tournaments.

After King Henry VIII divorced his wife Catherine Howard, Anne of Cleves wanted to remarry Henry.
Writing Fiction & Nonfiction Set in the Past: Seven Surprising Facts About Anne of Cleves

In 1535 King Henry VIII and his second wife Queen Anne Boleyn stayed at Thornbury Castle.

Did King Henry VIII absolutely have to have the permission of Pope Clement VII to divorce Queen Catherine of Aragon?

Did not Henry VIII's nephew by marriage, Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, not cause Henry to have any fear when he, Henry, decided to divorce Charles' aunt, Queen Catherine? Charles was both Roman Catholic and very powerful. Charles V was also King Charles I of Spain. Was not Charles more powerful in the respect that he was a sovereign twice where Henry was a sovereign only once?
Old 03-28-2018, 06:37 PM
Majesty

Yes he did.

Henry had to obtain a special papal dispensation to marry Catherine of Aragon at all in the first place, since she had been previously married to(and widowed by) his older brother Arthur Prince of Wales. The dispensation granting the marriage was based on the assumption that the marriage between Arthur and Catherine had never been consummated.

Catherine went to her grave swearing that this was true.

What Henry was seeking from the Vatican was an annulment of his marriage to Catherine based on his belief(and like minded scholars and clergy that Henry had rounded up) that the previous pope had over-reached by granting him permission to marry his brother's widow, that it had been invalid from the first based on a passage in Leviticus forbidding it.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-28-2018, 07:52 PM
Majesty

Rules of consanguinity in the catholic church at the time. In other cultures it was allowed for a man to marry his brother's widow, actually custom. But the Roman Catholic church believed that when a woman married into a family, her husband's family became her own. So marrying her late husband's brother would be considered marrying her brother.

The church did make exceptions to the rule. In the case when the couple had no children of the marriage, a dispensation could be granted. This was how Catherine was allowed to marry Henry. Catherine refused to claim she had even slept with Arthur. Which was highly likely as he was so ill.

He used the rules to his benefit again to end his second marriage. Even if he had got an annulment from Catherine and remained catholic, the Pope would not have approved his marriage to Anne. Due to his previous relations with Anne's sister (even if not married). He used it as a reason to annul his marriage to Anne before beheading her.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:11 PM
Majesty

Exactly. The mind boggles at Henry's double dealing self serving hypocrisy.

By the way, a friend recently told me that he had read that Henry had also taken Anne's mother Elizabeth Howard as a mistress years before he began his celebrated affair with Anne??!!

Has anyone else heard this bizarre bit of information?

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-28-2018, 10:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

By the way, a friend recently told me that he had read that Henry had also taken Anne's mother Elizabeth Howard as a mistress years before he began his celebrated affair with Anne??!!

Lady Elizabeth Howard, later Boleyn, was at court. She was lady in waiting to both Henry's mother and later Catherine. There were rumors by some historians that Elizabeth was a mistress to Henry as well, even some suggested Anne was his daughter. But it was never substantiated, and most historians seem to think Elizabeth Howard-Boleyn is being confused with Elizabeth Blount. Henry never mentioned Elizabeth as a mistress, including when he was seeking to marry, or later annul his marriage, to Anne. Only Mary was mentioned. The rumors seem to stem from the fall from grace and popularity of the family.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:36 PM
Courtier

Some of Henry's contemporaries claimed he had slept with Elizabeth Boleyn.

In 1537 Sir George Throckmorton stated he had pointed this out to Henry before Henry married Anne: "And I said to him that I told your Grace I feared if ye did marry Queen Anne your conscience would be more troubled at length, for it is thought ye have meddled both with the mother and the sister. And his Grace said 'Never with the mother.' And my lord Privy Seal standing by said 'Nor never with the sister either, and therefore put that out of your mind.'"

So Henry denied having slept with Elizabeth (Anne's mother) but not Mary (her sister). One of his ministers, realizing Henry's gaffe, quickly spoke up and denied Henry had slept with Mary.

Source: Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII (scroll down to record #952):

Henry VIII: October 1537, 16-20 | British History Online

For a summary, see Sir George Throckmorton's entry in The History of Parliament; The House of Commons:

THROCKMORTON, Sir George (by 1489-1552), of Coughton, Warws. | History of Parliament Online
Old 03-29-2018, 03:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

It is a very common rumour, that as well as sleeping Mary, he also had had an affair with her mother. However, it is not true...
Old 03-29-2018, 05:50 PM
Majesty

Henry was in fact very nervous about Charles. Not only was Catherine corresponding with her powerful nephew and soliciting his support, their daughter Mary was as well.

As much as he might have liked to offer more than moral support to Catherine and Mary during the divorce crisis, the Emperor had his own fish to fry politically that tempered his involvement with more caution.

But his Imperial armies did sack Rome and with Charles's hostile armies surrounding him Pope Clement did not dare declare the marriage null and void as Henry wanted him to.

So, in that way at least Charles V offer practical support to Catherine while sticking it to Henry.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Catherine of Aragon's family either ruled over large parts of Europe or were queen consorts.

Sister -Joanna I ,Queen of Castile,Aragon, Sicily and Naples
Nephew -Emperor Charles V
Nephew -Ferdinand King of the Romans,Hungary and Croatia.
Niece-Catherine,queen consort of Portugal
Niece -Eleanor,queen Consort of France
Niece -Mary queen of Hungary and Regent of the Low Countries.
Niece -Isabelle ,queen consort of Denmark.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:23 PM
Administrator

I had also heard the rumor about Anne's mother but as stated before, not definitive proof. But who knows, as it has been proved by historical events...Henry VIII was a liar. Denying he slept with Mary, what a horrible person! Or at least a horrible husband. And even worst, a horrible father.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I had also heard the rumor about Anne's mother but as stated before, not definitive proof. But who knows, as it has been proved by historical events...Henry VIII was a liar. Denying he slept with Mary, what a horrible person! Or at least a horrible husband. And even worst, a horrible father.
did ou expect him to admit thtat he did sleep with Mary? Of course it was well known but he was harldy likely to openly say it...
And its pretty certainly not true that he had an affair with Elizabeth Boleyn. Odds are that the rumour started because of confusion iwht Eliz Blount and the fact that the Boleyns were being demonised as a terrible family because Anne was trying to marry the King...
Old 03-30-2018, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Anne's Irish grandmother ,Lady Margaret Butler was the daughter of Thomas Butler, 7th Earl of Ormond.She lived a long life and saw short rise and fall of the House Boleyn.

She died sometime in 1539 but there's no mention of a burial site possibly beside her husband,Sir William Boleyn.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

According to Sir George Throckmorton he did admit to sleeping with Mary:
"And I said to him that I told your Grace I feared if ye did marry Queen Anne your conscience would be more troubled at length, for it is thought ye have meddled both with the mother and the sister. And his Grace said 'Never with the mother.'"
Old 03-30-2018, 08:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Reading through this thread and the discussion of Henry's um... relations... far and wide and with so many mistresses and wives, I kind of have to laugh at the thought of him being the head of the new Church of England.

Basically, I get the feeling that Henry wanted what Henry wanted and he moved mountains to get things to be his way.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~

Tags
anne boleyn, anne of cleves, biography, british history, catherine howard, catherine of aragon, catherine parr, catholicism, church of england, elizabeth i, henry viii, jane seymour, pope, queen consort, syphilis, tudor