Henry VIII (1491-1547) and Wives

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of many such love nests dotted about the English countryside. Anne must have done a lot of visiting and Henry followed suit!

How did the Vatican library obtain the love letters King Henry VIII had written to Anne Boleyn?

How did the Vatican library obtain the love letters King Henry VIII had written to Anne Boleyn?

It's not clear. They were uncovered in the library hundreds of years later without clear knowledge of how. Speculation is that they were stolen and sent to the pope during the time when Henry was still appealing for an annulment. It was meant to be proof that he didn't want a divorce for his conscience because of marrying his brother's widow as he claimed. But there is no record including who may have sent them.

In one novel about Anne Boleyn (IIRC) they are stolen by the Papal Nuncio's men when he is in England, debating the divorce...To mess up Herny's chances of getting a divorce by making it clear that he was very lustfully in love with Anne.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the truth. Papal ambassadors and other foreign envoys were often at court, and I'm sure Henry's officials and senior clerks would have snaffled them and passed them on for a price, especially if they still felt favourably towards Queen Katherine. They were so many people floating about in medieval courts, courtiers, attendants, servants etc, even in the King's apartments, no-one would be able to prove anything unless they were caught red-handed.

Last edited:
I would not say it was that easy, really. Im sure that Henry's servants woudl have thrown out any strange person in his private rooms and tehre was "security" even if ti wasn't the same as today. So problaby they must have been stolen by somoene trusted, who wanted to stymie Henry's divorce. Some couriter loyal to Katherine

Last edited:
:previous:

I've often wondered what happened to that poor child. It seems incredible to me that Edward VI did not make provisions for the child of the stepmother who was so good to him(Katharine Parr) or that Elizabeth I didn't either-out of guilt if nothing else.:ermm:

Thank you An Ard Ri.

? How would Eliz hve done anything? the child almost certianly died at the age of 2 or so.

:previous:

I've often wondered what happened to that poor child. It seems incredible to me that Edward VI did not make provisions for the child of the stepmother who was so good to him(Katharine Parr) or that Elizabeth I didn't either-out of guilt if nothing else.:ermm:

Thank you An Ard Ri.

Poor little Mary Seymour,I would have thought that her cousin Edward VI would have at least restored some of her fathers estates to her to help support her,but sadly she was left penniless and being raised by Catherine Brandon, Duchess of Suffolk who held resentment towards the child.

Edward was a cold blooded young man and didn't care. And she was the child of a traitor.

Thomas Seymour's mother,Lady Margery Wentworth lived until October 1550,I wonder why her orphaned granddaughter Mary was not raised by the Seymours?

Thomas Seymour's mother,Lady Margery Wentworth lived until October 1550,I wonder why her orphaned granddaughter Mary was not raised by the Seymours?

I should say that (a) Lady S was an old woman by the time the child was born, and (b) everyone was nervous of getting landed with a penniless child who was the daughter of a traitor. and I would say that she died in infancy.. so poor little thing she wasn't around long enoug to bothter ayone for long.

Mary Seymour really had a terrible short life following the death of her mother and then her fathers execution and then being sent off to live with the duchess who didn't want her,so sad.

Back
Top Bottom