King George IV (1762-1830)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think he was shy by any means.

Did he have many Lovers and Illegitimate Children I Read somewhere he loved spending vast amounts of Money and almost went Bankrupt

Yes, he was very extravagant. I don't think he had many illegitimate children, if any, but his brother the Duke of Clarence (later William IV) had something like 10 illegitimate children with Dorothy Jordan, although when he had to get married to a princess to try and produce an heir, they never managed to have a child who survived infancy.

I wonder who had that inscribed on her stone??
Where is she buried ,does anyone know?
Thanks

If my memory serves me right it was Caroline herself asked for that insciption. I think she is buried in Brunwick where she was born and raised.

Also she sis not want to waste time on washing herself like her husband would.:flowers:

Yes, he was very extravagant. I don't think he had many illegitimate children, if any, but his brother the Duke of Clarence (later William IV) had something like 10 illegitimate children with Dorothy Jordan, although when he had to get married to a princess to try and produce an heir, they never managed to have a child who survived infancy.

At one point queen Sophie-Charlotte, the consort of George III. was very angry about that fact that she had more than 21 illegitimate grandchildren but only one legitimate one: Princess Charlotte of Wales. She even lived to see this one legitimate grandchild die in childbirth in 1817, but died herself in 1818, before the future queen Victoria was born. Poor lady!

She might have had some more legitimate grandchildren if she'd been more inclined to let her daughters marry. But even then, grandchildren who weren't the children of the royal princes might not have been as important to her.

Last edited:
Well much of England was at her side due to the treatment done to her by her husband. Very interesting story by the way. I think George actually became this way due to the fact that he lost his true love for the crown of England.

You mean he treated her badly because he lost his true love for the crown of England or he became extravagant and also had all those mistresss and and a bad reputation because he lost his true love for the crown of England? Well, it seems from the very begining he was extravagant and had a bad reputation much like his brothers, for whom debts, mistresses and a bad reputation seemed to be very common. As for his treatment of his wife Caroline, it also fit into the long pattern of his life- sure,Caroline was no Princess Diana, but she deserved better than he gave her. I don't think George ever had any true love for the crown of England, at all, whether when he was king or before that ( most of his life he wasn't king anyway, merely Prince Regent or Prince of Wales)- he seemed more concerned about himself. Charlotte being head strong reminds me of Queen Victoria- so was she.

George IV did have Beau Brummel as a fashion advisor so he apparently was fastidious.

The picture in the Wikipedia article makes her look very attractive (painters can flatter out of all proportions). But the picture isn't "smellivision.":eek:

I have to agree. In this protrait of Caroline which is on her Wikipedia page, she looks downright gorgeous!

even after the disaster of this marriage it took the royals another (approximately) 200 years to realize a lesson that most people have known all along-let your children marry for love! well at least they got it by now

Well Tsar Nicholas and Alexandra married for love and look how that ended up.
Edward II and George V married women who were suggested to them as good matches and those marriages were relatively happy if not full on happy. Prince Andrew and Sarah married for love and it didn't work out well either.

although Andrew and Fergie didn't work out, at least they got to meet and choose each other initially.
Tsar Nicholas was a tragedy that resulted from his relationship with his country, not his wife

The tragedy that occurred in Russia had many factors one of them being Alexandra. The point I was trying to make is that just because two royals are told to marry simply because they are royal does not mean that a disaster is going to ensue. George's parents are another example of a happy couple who came about through negotiations and not love. Andrew and Sarah came together out of love and they were another disaster of the 80s marriages, so marrying for love doesn't mean that happily ever after is going to happen.
BTW I did not mean Edward II, I meant Edward VII and marrying Queen Alexandra.
As to the problems with Caroline, I blame George more than anybody else; so you didn't like her, who the heck cares just do your job and move on. The picture of Caroline on wikipedia is very surprising, I will not say she is drop dead gorgeous, but she is definitely not ugly. How many German princesses came over to England to marry a member of the royal family, only to end up being called ugly and stinky by the English?

Can we get off the marriage of George and Caroline and talk about George himself. I know his father saw him as a disappointment, but how did the Prince feel and treat his father during his illnesses? Also did George ever become a worthy king?

The last coronation feast held in Westminster Hall was for King George IV in 1821.

When war broke out with France in 1793, George begged his father, King George III, for a command in the army, but was refused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunate German Princesses

Ummmmm.....Speaking of German Princesses who came to England only to be told they were smelly, by a perfectly repulsive groom who thought he was still god's gift... :whistling::ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I always felt a bit sorry for both Caroline & Anne of Cleves.

And I always suspected that Caroline was lead astray by one of the mistresses, but was never sure till I read this thread.

But at least Anne of Cleves was clever enough to get a fairly sweet deal out of the old boy.

Last edited:
If I believed in reincarnation I would think Caroline was indeed Anne reborn.

Ummmmm.....
And I always suspected that Caroline was lead astray by one of the mistresses, but was never sure till I read this thread.

Caroline was not "led astray", she was a silly vulgar woman, pitiable only because George IV was so unpleasant and treated her badly. She was foolish, irresposnble, a little mad....

Different George and Caroline. This article is about George II and Caroline of Ansbach.

Can we get off the marriage of George and Caroline and talk about George himself. I know his father saw him as a disappointment, but how did the Prince feel and treat his father during his illnesses? Also did George ever become a worthy king?

He was never a wrothy King. he was selfish, irresponsible and was not particularly nice to his father, during the old King's madness. He was horrible to his daughter. Bad as she was, he treated Caroline badly. He was unfaithful to the woman he did love, Mrs Fitzherbert.
He had a certain charm which together with his royal status meant that some people forgave him his awful behaviour and had a certain liking for him.
But as the D of Wellington said, the sons of George III were millstones..

In 1805 King George III made Caroline Ranger of Greenwich Park allowing her greater independence and financial security. Did George, Prince of Wales ask his father to do this?

Back
Top Bottom