The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-21-2018, 01:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
In 1805 King George III made Caroline Ranger of Greenwich Park allowing her greater independence and financial security. Did George, Prince of Wales ask his father to do this?
I have no idea, but Im sure the information wuodl be in some bios of George IV or Caroline. And I doubt it since George IV was hiostile to ihis wife, the rest of the RF didn't like her and it was mainly George III who showed her some kindness.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I have no idea, but Im sure the information wuodl be in some bios of George IV or Caroline. And I doubt it since George IV was hiostile to ihis wife, the rest of the RF didn't like her and it was mainly George III who showed her some kindness.

George III is known as a kind pater familias, who, while autocratic, took good care of his family. IIRC that's why Caroline became the wife of The Prince of Wales - she was the daughter of his sister Augusta who had married another cousin of the Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel-line, so Caroline was a "double" Welf-princess.

George III. saw to it, that his widow would be independent from their eldest son, then George IV. and saved his youngest sister Caroline-Mathilde from the Danish revolt under Dowager Queen Juliane (another Brunswick-princess) over the Struensee-affair and made the Danish give back Caroline-Mathilde's dowry, so she could spent that money while she lived in her brother's palace at Celle. While she died young, she had invested quite solid sums into the enlargement, modernisation and gardens of Celle Palace, in exactly the way she wanted.

So it is very plausible that George III. took care of his niece/daughter-in-law Caroline as well.

Plus he was a fair man - when Caroline, like Caroline-Mathilde in Denmark, was accused of adultery, he stood by both of them and rehabilitated Caroline completely. While Caroline-Mathilde had an affair with Dr.Struensee, Caroline was in fact proven innocent, but I'm sure the king would have found a solution if the situation would have been different.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:50 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't recollect that Caroline was provid innocent of adultery, but of being the mother of a child..
I seem to remember that George III knew that Caro had affairs, and felt that he could have forgiven one attachment since she was neglected but it was much more than that...
Old 07-24-2018, 01:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Future King George IV bought Sense and Sensibility in 1811

Jane Austen's first sale was to Prince Regent: He paid 15 shillings for Sense and Sensibility | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-24-2018, 02:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I don't recollect that Caroline was provid innocent of adultery, but of being the mother of a child..
I seem to remember that George III knew that Caro had affairs, and felt that he could have forgiven one attachment since she was neglected but it was much more than that...

There were rumours about that, so in 1806 George III. ordered a secret investigation with the result that the rumours "had no foundation". Later her husband tried to divorce her on the grounds of her infidelities but again there was no real proof other than rumours, so the process was stopped. As she died shortly after George IV. was crowned king, it didn't matter later anyway. But there never was real proof of her infidelity, while it was clear that the second child of Caroline-Mathilde was fathered by Johann Struensee. And if Struensee had in reality looked like Mads Mikkelsen in the Danish movie "A Royal Affair", everyone would have understood her. IMHO, of course.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Caroline herself said once that she only ever committed adultery with "the husband of Mrs Fitzherbert."
Old 07-25-2018, 02:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Ther But there never was real proof of her infidelity, while it was clear that the second child of Caroline-Mathilde was fathered by Johann Struensee. And if Struensee had in reality looked like Mads Mikkelsen in the Danish movie "A Royal Affair", everyone would have understood her. IMHO, of course.
just because she didn't have children, was not proof that she didn't have affairs. However I think the RF would have problably not wanted to expose her unless it was so utterly blatant (ie proof like her having a baby when it was well known that she and George were estranged)..
George would have liked to divorce her later on, to get rid of her and possibly remarry.. but the proof was all very vague, since she had been living abroad.. and it was mostly "servants gossip and rumours"...
Old 08-09-2018, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

George IV as he last appeared in his pony carriage in Windsor Park.
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/3058089
Old 10-10-2018, 07:43 PM
Heir Apparent

George IV set a date for his coronation, July 19, 1821. He had Caroline's name removed from the prayers to be prayed at the coronation ceremony. Caroline pestered him to have her name put back and to tell her what coronation robes she should wear.

Tags
biography, british history, caroline of brunswick, george iv, hanover, line of succession, pictures, princess charlotte, queen caroline, queen consort