George III (1738-1820) and Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1744-1818)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... Not to mention the fact that research by Professor John Rohl (one of the three authors of the book "Purple Secret") and his recent exhumation and testing of the remains of George III's great-great-granddaughter Princess Charlotte of Prussia (sister of Kaiser Wilhelm II) had found DNA evidence of the Porphyria mutation... a key detail in this story that the author of this latest BBC report appears to have missed.

i read the book by Rohl. In the case of Charlotte, the DNA was partially successful (determined one step but not another, this being difficult when remains are old). In the case of Feodora, her remains were mixed in a common grave with those of her husband, according to Rohl, so this was not successful. However, the book is interesting in its catalog of the clinical records of various people on these blood lines, where the investigators could get access to the records. As long as there is secrecy, which is of course their right, there will be room for challenges to this diagnosis of a bloodline. The good news is that removal of inbreeding will help unravel this tangle.

Mecklenburg’s donation helps revive castle where Queen Charlotte was born

Mecklenburg’s donation helps revive castle where Queen Charlotte was born | CharlotteObserver.com

To thank residents of Mecklenburg County for a $15,000 donation nearly 18 years ago, the county’s German namesake has invited residents to come see what an impact the money had on the renovation of a castle. It’s not just any castle. Mirow Castle [Schloss Mirow] is the 18th-century birthplace of Queen Charlotte, the city’s namesake and the wife of King George III of England. In 1996, Mecklenburg County gave $15,000 to help renovate the castle. Those funds were matched with money raised from private sources.

It was behind the Iron Curtain in East Germany before the Berlin Wall fell and had fallen into disrepair over the years.
In the early 1990s, Mecklenburg County formed a cultural and educational exchange program with the German state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, where the castle is located.

D.G. Martin, a Charlotte attorney who traveled to Germany in the early 1990s to search for and discover the area’s links to the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern region, said he is pleased to see the castle returned to its former glory. “We can have some pride in having a small part in that,” he said. More than that, Parks Helms, a former chairman of the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners, said that the renovation preserves an important piece of history. “It is important because it is a link to our history, who we are and where we come from,” he said. “It’s important to remember and strengthen the relationship between that community and this community.” He noted that there are more than 150 German companies operating in the Charlotte region.

Last edited by a moderator:
The painter Joshua Reynolds was the first president of the Royal Academy of Arts. The Royal Academy of Arts was founded in 1768 under the patronage of King George III.
George III was a book collector.
From early in his reign he began buying books.
These were paid for entirely from his private resources.
The King eventually owned 65,000 volumes as well as pamphlets, manuscripts, and maps.

The last child of George III and Queen Charlotte, their daughter Princess Amelia, was born five days before the coming of age of the first, the Prince of Wales in 1783.
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart performed twice for King George III and Queen Charlotte during his 1764 visit.
Mozart was eight years old.
In private George III and Queen Charlotte called each other Mr. and Mrs. King.

...The King eventually owned 65,000 volumes as well as pamphlets, manuscripts, and maps.
Where are these now? Are they still in the royal collection?

The King's Collection was a royal collection of books created by King George III and donated to the nation.
The collection of books was given to the nation in 1823 by King George IV.
When the library was donated there was not enough space to house it in the original British Museum building.
A gallery was built at the British Museum in 1827 to house them.
In 1997-1998 the books were transferred to their new location in the King's Library Tower in the new British Library building at St. Pancras in London.

In 1786 George III was attacked by a mentally unstable woman while alighting from his carriage.
On the spot, the King declared that she was mad and should be treated humanely, and not be punished.

Queen Charlotte introduced the German custom of the Christmas tree to Windsor Castle. :xmastree2::xmastree2:

George III was the first Hanoverian monarch to have English as his first language.

Queen Charlotte with Prince George the baby
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-charlotte-of-mecklenburg-strelitz-george-iv-baby-20686718.html

In private George III and Queen Charlotte called each other Mr. and Mrs. King.
They did? That's cute!

Of course, at this time in England it was customary for husbands and wives to call each other "Mr. Smith" and "Mrs. Smith" (or use other titles if they had them) in public and many did so even in private. In some circles given names were considered too common and informal for the "right sort" of people. :D

:previous:
Best seen in "Pride and Prejudice" where Mrs Bennet is forever shouting out "Mr Bennet!"

The future King George III is alleged to have married secretly, on 17th April 1759, a Quaker, Hannah Lightfoot, the daughter of a Wapping shoemaker, who is said to have borne him three children.

Documents relating to this marriage, which bore the Prince's signature, were impounded and examined in 1866 by the Attorney General. Learned opinion at the time leaned to the view that the documents were genuine.

They were placed in the Royal Archives at Windsor. Permission to view them by a would-be author was refused in 1910, and no outsider has seen them since.

If the future King George III did make such a marriage it would have been legal as it was before the Royal Marriages Act (1772.) Therefore, his marriage to Princess Charlotte in 1761 was bigamous.

Page 286. 'Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy'. Alison Weir. 2002.

Wow, that was the first time I heard about that! I guess it wouldn't matter now, as such a long time has passed. But it would be interesting if someone was allowed to look at those documents.

King George III was the first British monarch to have been taught physics, chemistry, botany and astronomy. Later he became a renowned bibliophile. He had over 67,000 books, many of them rare, on every conceivable subject. Scholars like Dr Johnson and Dr Joseph Priestley were welcome to study in the library at the Queen's House or Buckingham House (later Palace.)

The future King George III is alleged to have married secretly, on 17th April 1759, a Quaker, Hannah Lightfoot, the daughter of a Wapping shoemaker, who is said to have borne him three children.

Documents relating to this marriage, which bore the Prince's signature, were impounded and examined in 1866 by the Attorney General. Learned opinion at the time leaned to the view that the documents were genuine.

They were placed in the Royal Archives at Windsor. Permission to view them by a would-be author was refused in 1910, and no outsider has seen them since.

If the future King George III did make such a marriage it would have been legal as it was before the Royal Marriages Act (1772.) Therefore, his marriage to Princess Charlotte in 1761 was bigamous.

Page 286. 'Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy'. Alison Weir. 2002.
its possible thtat Hannah Ligthfoot had died.. however I just find it hard to believe that the very dutiful George would make a marriage that he knew was not acceptable....

The story of Hannah has a lot of holes, if she ever even knew George III. Hannah was married in 1753 to a man named Isaac Ashford. Isaac later remarried in 1759 saying he was a widower. Her mother left Hannah in her will, and died in 1760, but it was said she had not heard from her daughter in 2 years at the time.

Even if George had a relationship with Hannah, she was already married. Any reported marriage to Hannah would have been bigamous on her part.

More found here about the speculation

https://englishhistoryauthors.blogspot.ca/2018/02/hannah-lightfoot-fair-quakeress.html

Queen Sophia Charlotte, the Caregiver

Queen Sophia Charlotte was a wonderful caregiver to King George III. As a mother of 13 children, a wife, an Abolitionist, a Botanist, a musician and more...this strong woman loved and cared for her husband and he went through his traumas.

To bad Queen Charlotte is downplayed in history. However, there is a new book titled, "Invisible Queen: Mixed Ancestry Revealed. Queen Sophia Charlotte. There is a link that tells more on Facebook at Invisible Queen. Interesting story.

Video with more information

Thanks,

Elaine Lee

Last edited:
Queen Charlotte is being remembered by the State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Mecklenburgische Seenplatte District with the issuing of a commemorative coin to mark 200 years since her death.

https://www.welt.de/img/regionales/...m-20090101-180807-99-458236-large-4-3-jpg.jpg
https://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:138715326:1800x650:w?v=5b55e8a6&m=lnokngao

On the 200th anniversary of her death, a celebration of the life of Queen Charlotte was held at the Mirow Palace.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsNxxeyXQAATESz.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsNxxexXgAAx4hU.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsNxxexWsAE93Xk.jpg

I would like to see a movie or a series on Queen Charlotte. She’s rarely ever talked about.

Queen Sophia Charlotte was a wonderful caregiver to King George III. As a mother of 13 children, a wife, an Abolitionist, a Botanist, a musician and more...this strong woman loved and cared for her husband and he went through his traumas.

To

Thanks,

Elaine Lee

That's not my impression from what I've read about her.. She became afraid of the King when he became ill and irrational.. and tried to avoid him...

To bad Queen Charlotte is downplayed in history. However, there is a new book titled, "Invisible Queen: Mixed Ancestry Revealed. Queen Sophia Charlotte. There is a link that tells more on Facebook at Invisible Queen. Interesting story.

Thanks,

Elaine Lee

According to some genealogists the claim that Queen Charlotte had black ancestry through her distant ancestor Margarita de Castro y Sousa is based on insufficient evidence.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/soc.genealogy.medieval/QjZyAu3PDI0

I should also point out that Charlotte wasn't Margarita's only royal descendant. She was also the ancestor of Queen Caroline (wife of George II), Catherine the Great of Russia, and Empress Maria Theresa of Austria. So even if Margarita were black Caroline was Britain's first queen with black ancestry, not Charlotte.

The story of Hannah has a lot of holes, if she ever even knew George III. Hannah was married in 1753 to a man named Isaac Ashford. Isaac later remarried in 1759 saying he was a widower. Her mother left Hannah in her will, and died in 1760, but it was said she had not heard from her daughter in 2 years at the time.

Even if George had a relationship with Hannah, she was already married. Any reported marriage to Hannah would have been bigamous on her part.

More found here about the speculation

https://englishhistoryauthors.blogspot.ca/2018/02/hannah-lightfoot-fair-quakeress.html

Maybe Hannah did just disappear from her marriage and her husband said she was dead and he was free to remarry.. But I doubt if she and George were married in any way. I can't see him going in for a bigamous marriage or marryring someone that he knew would not be accepted as his queen...

King George III was the first British monarch to have been taught physics, chemistry, botany and astronomy. Later he became a renowned bibliophile. He had over 67,000 books, many of them rare, on every conceivable subject. Scholars like Dr Johnson and Dr Joseph Priestley were welcome to study in the library at the Queen's House or Buckingham House (later Palace.)

Have you seen the documentary “George III, The Genius of the Mad King” ? Very good. He was pretty smart and interested in everything in the world. It is a good one. It is on Amazon Prime.

Could someone recommend to me a good book on King George III? I have only read as far back as Queen Victoria. Thanks.

A Royal Experiment by Janice Hadlow is excellent, about George, family, illness etc. also Princesses by Flora Fraser...tells story of all of his daughters in detail but also G and C. Very good.

A Royal Experiment by Janice Hadlow is excellent, about George, family, illness etc. also Princesses by Flora Fraser...tells story of all of his daughters in detail but also G and C. Very good.

Thank you so much!!

I am looking for a biography on King George III and came across these two that look interesting. However, they appear to be the same book with different titles. Here is the first one and here is the second one. What is going on? Thanks.

I don't know but if I were you I would purchase the second one. I've read it (borrowed it from a friend) and it's superb. A wonderful book.

It is probably the same book...

I did a little more looking at the books and the first one I referenced is a reissue by a different publishing company. I wonder if it is because of a different publishing company that the name had to be changed.

Back
Top Bottom