The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-04-2017, 11:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

hmm I didn't know much about Marina, but she appeals less and less

Old 12-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Courtier

I have to say the opposite was true for me. I didn’t know much about her but I came to admire her very much. Her marriage was not at all easy and she had a fairly lonely life once her children were grown and living their own lives. She must have felt very isolated and perhaps that’s why she relied so much on the company of her sisters and their families which took her further away from the British Royal Family as it forged a new direction where most things were central to Clarence House.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
I have to say the opposite was true for me. I didn’t know much about her but I came to admire her very much. Her marriage was not at all easy and she had a fairly lonely life once her children were grown and living their own lives. She must have felt very isolated and perhaps that’s why she relied so much on the company of her sisters and their families which took her further away from the British Royal Family as it forged a new direction where most things were central to Clarence House.
Totally agree here.
Here's a woman who married a very complicated man, lost him at a quite young age and had to raise three children on her own, with, as pointed out, limited ressources (from a royal point of view).
It's a bit easy to forget that she was a very popular member of the BRF, carriying spectacular engagements across the worl on behalf of the Queen.
I dont' think she was "bossy" either, but she was from a bygone world and wished just the best for her children. At the end she gave her blessing for Alexandra and Edward, so she was not that stiff after all ...
I do think that QEQM was just a bit jealous ans indeed insecure, because Marina was the epitome of the Continental woman : beautiful, tall, elegant, intelligent and regal from head to toe. Snobbish ? She refused to be Queen of Norway !!!!
A fascinating figure, sadly a bit forgotten nowadays.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Courtier

Totally agree Nico. I think with Marina, the last ties to Queen Mary's style were severed and the British Royal Family found itself entering a new age that was really dominated by the Queen Mother for the next 40 years. We know that the Queen rarely made any decisions affecting the family without the consent of her mother....and we all know how that turned out. That isn't to say that the Queen Mother was a terrible person but she had her flaws and they made an impact on those around her.

For Marina, this would have been a totally alien concept. She grew up in a world where rank and position were paramount and where the vast European royal network was incredibly important. It's therefore not a surprise that after Queen Mary's death, she found herself increasingly at odds with the British court and tended to be a bit of a loner. But as you rightly say, she was extremely popular with the British people which gave her a kind of special position within the family. Even when both sides of the House of Commons criticised the cost of refurbishing Apartment 1a at Kensington Palace for Marina, they went to great lengths to include statements of praise for the Duchess because they didn't want to be seen to attack her personally.

Princesses are no longer made the way Marina was. And for the Queen Mother, she must have been a constant reminder that Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon was a royal outsider. I don't think that bothered Princess Alice (Gloucester) one bit but Marina was real competition. Especially when you consider that the only other sister-in-law the Queen Mother had was the Duchess of Windsor and we all know the story there. I can see the situation from both sides. Marina disagreed with the way the Queen Mother raised her daughters and how she lived in her widowhood. Elizabeth thought Marina was a snob and demanded too much. I don't see how they ever really could have been friends.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:58 PM
Aristocracy

Tags
duchess of kent, duke, kent, princess marina