English/British Queens and Queen Consorts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mknyazev

Commoner
City
Moscow
Country
Russia
I'd appreciate images of any English Queens Consorts esp. medieval and of 17-19 cent. Anna Neville, Mary of Modena, Mary II, Carolina Ansbach etc. The more. the better.

Before Henry VIIs reign, the art of portraiture was not really developed so most of the portraits done of the royals before the Tudors were painted a few hundred years after their death.

So I chose the pictures of Queens from Elizabeth of York and later because they are a more reliable indicator of what they looked like.

Sources: wikipedia, worldroots, reformation.org, royal.gov.uk

Elizabeth of York, Queen Consort of Henry VII

elizabethyork1465.jpg

Catherine of Aragon, Queen Consort of Henry VIII

catherine-of-aragon14851535.jpg

Jane Seymour, Queen Consoft of Henry VIII

janeseymour.jpg

Anne of Denmark, Queen Consort of James I and VI

annedenmark.jpg

Henrietta Marie of France, Queen Consort of Charles I

henriettamariefrance.jpg

Catherine of Braganza, Queen Consort of Charles II

Catherine_of_Braganza.jpg

Mary of Modena, Queen Consort of James II

mary_modena.jpg

Caroline of Ansbach, Queen Consort of George II

carolineansbach.jpg

Charlotte of Mecklinburg-Sterlitz, Queen Consort of George III

Queen_Charlotte_full_page.jpg

Caroline of Brunswick, Queen Consort of George IV (but never crowned)

Caroline_of_Brunswick.jpg

Last edited:
Adelaide of Meiningen, Queen Consort of William IV

adelaide_of_meiningen.jpg

I've saved all the pictures :p
Thank you ysbel ;)

Here are the portraits of six Queen Consorts of Henry VIII

1. Catherine of Aragon (the same as posted by Ysbel)
http://www.britannia.com/bios/images/caragon.jpg
2. Anne Boleyn
http://www.nellgavin.com/boleyn_facts/AnneBoleyn.jpg
3. Jane Seymour (the same as posted by Ysbel)
http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/tudor/redjane.jpg
4. Anne of Cleves
http://www.wga.hu/art/h/holbein/hans_y/1535h/04cleves.jpg
5. Kathryn Howard
http://tudorhistory.org/howard/kathryn.jpg
6. Katherine Parr
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Kathparr.jpg

Queens Consort

Here are some of Alexandra:

alexandra-courtdress.jpg

QueenAlexandra10.jpg

As a gorgeous Princess:
Pcsslexandra02.jpg

I've had these for a while so I don't know where they came from.

Last edited:
A Large File Picture of Alexandra

This came from the Alexander Palace Discussion Board.

QueenconsortAlexandra.jpg
:)

Last edited:
Some More Pictures of Alexandra

I recall this and the next one came from the Alexander Palace board.
QueenAlexandraCoronation1902a.jpg

Other-Unknown-Queen-Alexand.jpg

Alexandra had two sisters, Thyra and dagmar. Dagmar became Tsarina Maria Fedorvna. This picture shows Alexandra and Dagmar together. It is from the NY Public Library.
dagmardenmarkalexandra.jpg

For an overwhelming display of wealth and femininity, this is Alexandra, Dagmar, and Alexandra's daughter Victoria:
QueenAlexandraDagmar.jpg

I don't recall the source for the last picture.

Last edited:
Queen Mary

This is a picture of her as a shapely young lady. The LISA website has this picture, as do others. It is a stunning example of how a corset can idealize a female figure:
pmay3.jpg

Here is one of Marywearing spectacular jewels. She was as showy as Alexandra and just as able to display jewels and gowns to the very best advantage:
qm1.jpg

This is probably from the Opera Gloves site.

Portraits of Queen Charlotte

I found two at www.wga.hu., one at abcgallery (a Russian art site), one at the UK National Gallery, and one at www.royaltyguide.nl. I have had some for some time and do not recall where I found them. Her pictures can easily be found using Google.:)

CharlotteMecklenburg1771.jpg

QueenCharlotte3.jpg

She looks grand in this one...
QueenCharlotte.jpg

QueenCharlotte_EUR.jpg

QueenCharlotte__Portra.jpg

QueenCharlotte_d357.jpg

QueenCharlotte1744-02.jpg

These pictures are gorgeous, especially the ones of Alexandra.

I havenoticed that all the pictures are a bit steotyped(if thats the right word) they all look so thin with flawless faces. I doubt that they really looked like that. Isnt it amazing how Queen Alexandra manages to have the same hairstyle all the time...

Queen Alexandra Was Vain

Lady Windsor wrote: "I havenoticed that all the pictures are a bit steotyped(if thats the right word) they all look so thin with flawless faces. I doubt that they really looked like that. Isnt it amazing how Queen Alexandra manages to have the same hairstyle all the time..."

She insisted on having photos of her edited to reduce signs of aging. It follows that she was also probably insistent on frequent visits by a coiffeurist to keep her curls in perfect condition.

Queen Henrietta Maria

She was portrayed many times (sources credited, when known):
HenriettaMaryStuart.jpg

A spectacular gown:
henriettainGreenPearls1635.jpg

By Reubens, at the Smithsonian:
HenriettaMaria1633.jpg

She looks gorgeous in white:
HenriettaBourbonca1630.jpg

HenriettaMariainWhiteLace.jpg

hmar.jpg

Henrietta1645_1100.jpg

Web Gallery of Art:
HenriettaMaria1660-2.jpg

A Few More

Mary of Modena, Second wife of James II:
National Portrit Gallery, UK
mw04280.jpg

MaryModena-.jpg

MaryModena1686.jpg

I believe this came from World Roots, but I couldn't find it there just now:
MaryModenaca1673.jpg

Caroline of Ansbach, Consort of George II (George I had his wife imprisoned so portraits are almost non-existent):
CarolineAnsbach.gif

Adelheid (Adelaide), Consort of William IV (I don't recall the sources of these two images):
adelaide2.jpg

adelaide.jpg

I just adore the pics of Henrietta Maria! To me, she could actually be accounted as one of the prettier queen consorts of England.

Just HOW did Alexandra of Denmark maintain her waist?? It's a puzzle to me how people in the Victorian era kept that kind of waist.

An amazing wasp waist corset and a dresser with very strong arms to pull the strings nice and tight. Plus women in those days tightlaced meaning they trained their bodies to get that 17 inch waist. Overall the corset was probably the worst for women in those days specifically during the mid to late Victorian times.

An amazing wasp waist corset and a dresser with very strong arms to pull the strings nice and tight. Plus women in those days tightlaced meaning they trained their bodies to get that 17 inch waist. Overall the corset was probably the worst for women in those days specifically during the mid to late Victorian times.

That is pretty much the answer - C-O-R-S-E-T-S.

I suspect Alexandra was conscious of her figure and physical attractiveness, especially given her husband's proclivities, so she watched her diet too.

They had corsets for the larger ladies too:

I read an article by a woman who grew up in the Belle Epoque describing how she looked forward to being corseted as a sign of growing up and being lady-like.

I recall this and the next one came from the Alexander Palace board.
QueenAlexandraCoronation1902a.jpg

Other-Unknown-Queen-Alexand.jpg
The second picture is not of Queen Alexandra, but of Queen Mary. She is wearing a tiara she had comissioned that was later broken up (presumably to make the Lover's Knot tiara). Her necklace is the Surry Fringe. She is also wearing one of her wedding presents, the Kensington Bow Brooch with pearl drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correction.

Whoa!

Sorry for the error.

I hope this sets things right!

The second picture is not of Queen Alexandra, but of Queen Mary. She is wearing a tiara she had comissioned that was later broken up (presumably to make the Lover's Knot tiara). Her necklace is the Surry Fringe. She is also wearing one of her wedding presents, the Kensington Bow Brooch with pearl drop.

The jewels in the first photo (Alexandra) are blowing my mind.

Alexandra had some impressive pieces! I would love to see a closeup of the Rundell Tiara (wedding gift from her husband)---

Sir Alan Ramsey, painter in ordinary to George III. did several portraits of Queen Charlotte.

To my eyes the inset in the image below is the original. I say this because it is more expertly rendered than the one it sets atop of. In addition, in the cartoon below it, we see the cartoonist's rendition of Queen Charlotte that most certainly is of the woman in the inset.

And then there are the two other versions of the same portrait that each look dramatically different from each other. In fact, with the exception of the inset and the cartoon, all of the extant portraits of Queen Charlotte looking dramatically different from each other; that is, as if each artist rendered a portrait of the way he thought this woman OUGHT TO LOOK.

And that's not all.

The strongest evidence we have that Charlotte was of African ancestry is Baron Von Stockmar's comment to be found in his dairy: "She had a face of a true mulatto."

Stockmar, a physician, visited the Court a few years before Charlotte died. Years later he became physician to Queen Victoria.

mainqueen1.jpg

slavery.jpg

forgeries.png

Indeed, she did have negroid features.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gogm, the portrait you posted of Henrietta Maria on March 7, 2006- the first one, where she's holding a piece of fruit, likely an orange, I've seen that photo marked in some books ( I think Antonia Fraser's Charles II or William and Mary by Barbara Van der Zee and her husband) as Mary, Princess Royal, Henrietta Maria's daughter with Charles I who married the Prince of Orange and whose son was William III, husband of Mary II. I've never seen it identified as Henrietta Maria elsewhere- and the orange might seem to suggest a reference to Mary, The Princess Royal her daughter, since she married the Prince Of Orange ( Holland).

Identity of Sitter

I posted this image on Webshots as "1652 Princess Henrietta Mary Stuart, Princess of Orange, by van der Helst (Rijksmuseum)" with this caption: "This image was probably from the Rijksmuseum (Explore 1000 Major Exhibits - Rijksmuseum Amsterdam - National Museum for Art and History ). However, I did make adjustments to make the image lighter to reveal details. Notice she holds an orange and there is a very Dutch scene right outside the curtains.":

I had no memory of posting this image, mis-identified, in 2006.

I also noticed my signature is outdated, as of 20 January 2009, so I changed that too.

There are numerous images of Henrietta Maria et filles in the 1600s album at the following site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/gogm1 .

Oh, I just saw the additional Catharine of Braganza images. She looks better than in the first portrait of her posted in the black dress, where she looks so foreign and plain. She wasn't a beauty ( especially to Charles II), but I like the first of the additional portraits you posted, unfortunately, the links to the other two no longer work.

Back
Top Bottom