English/British Queens and Queen Consorts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Regnants

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but is Elizabeth II the first Queen Regnant to inherit the throne directly from her father? I believe the others who were royal sovereigns in their own right all took the throne from either a brother (Mary I) or sister (Elizabeth I,) brother-in-law (Anne) or uncle (Victoria), with the possible exception of Queen Mary II of William and Mary fame. I am not exactly sure how the Glorious Revolution brought Mary II to the throne.

:previous: I may be wrong but I thought Mary inherited the throne from her father King James, brother of King Charles II. Then came her sister Queen Anne who was married to the Danish Prince George.:flowers:

:previous:

Hi Odette,

Yes, you are correct but the throne was given to Mary and William and after Mary died, Anne had to wait for William's death before she ascended the throne. So, Anne, as Queen Regnant, took it from Wiliam, her brother-in-law. I guess I don't understand why the British gave the throne to both William and Mary. Mary did become Queen after her father, who was still living, but she was not Queen alone and shared the throne with William.

The thing with Mary II was, that her father almost brought the Roman Catholics back to the throne. But then William of Orange invaded England and the English people followed him. James had to flee and after hus 'abdication' William and his wife Mary became joint regents.

That is, if I understood it correctly
here's a link where the whole situations of the different monarchs are explained:
History of the Monarchy > The Stuarts > James II

- Queen Gwendolen, legendary Queen of the Britons according to Geoffrey of Monmouth
- Queen Cordelia, legendary Queen of the Britons according to Geoffrey of Monmouth
- Queen Marcia, legendary Queen of the Britons according to Geoffrey of Monmouth
- Boudica, queen of the Brythonic Celtic Iceni people of Norfolk in Eastern Britain who, in 61 AD, led a major uprising of the tribes against the occupying forces of the Roman Empire
- Matilda (or Maud) of England (named, but never ruled 1141 because her title was usurped) styled herself as Lady of the English, although Queen of the English was not unknown; she was named heir by her father, Henry I of England, upon securing the loyalty of nobles of the realm, but Count Stephen of Blois contradicted his promise after the king's death and made himself King of England instead; civil war ensued and was ended when the crown was secured to Matilda's (or Maud's) son, Henry II of England, who became the first king of the House of Plantagenet
- Margaret, the Maid of Norway (heir 19 March 1286 – 26 September 1290) - she was the daughter of Eirik II of Norway and Margaret, daughter of Alexander III, she died during the sea journey to Scotland before being inaugurated
- Mary I, Queen of Scots (ruled 14 December 1542 – 24 July 1567) - she became queen when she was six days old, was crowned at age five, and promptly engaged to the Dauphin of France - the future Francis II
- Lady Jane Grey (ruled 10 July – 19 July 1553) – her cousin Edward VI of England appointed her successor by removing his older half-sisters Mary and Elizabeth from the order of succession as illegitimate heirs; this decision had not been approved by Parliament and was open to questions of its legality; Mary was the heir according to the will of their father Henry VIII of England and was elevated to the throne through revolt; nevertheless, without consideration to Celtic queens such as Boudica, Jane is sometimes referred to as England's first queen regnant; she is called The Nine Days Queen because of the brief period of her reign
- Mary I of England (ruled 19 July 1553 – 17 November 1558) - elevated to the throne in accordance with Henry VIII's will, she is reckoned the first or second queen regnant and subsequent years of her reign as though Jane had never been Queen
- Elizabeth I of England (ruled 17 November 1558 – 24 March 1603) - her elder sister Mary I attempted to remove her from the order of succession; she succeeded her childless older half-sister and led England to one of its richest periods in history, known as the Elizabethan Age; she died childless
- Mary II of England, Mary II, Queen of Scots (ruled 13 February, 11 April 1689 – 28 December 1694) - co-reigned with her husband William III; they were given the throne by Parliament after the same deposed James II during the so-called Glorious Revolution of 1688
- Anne, Queen of England, Scotland and Ireland and later, Queen of Great Britain and Queen of Ireland (ruled 8 March 1702 – 1 August 1714)
- Victoria of the United Kingdom (ruled 20 June 1837 – 22 January 1901)
- Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom (ruled 6 February 1952 - present)

These are all the Queen Regnants I could find. :)

Hi Odette,

Yes, you are correct but the throne was given to Mary and William and after Mary died, Anne had to wait for William's death before she ascended the throne. So, Anne, as Queen Regnant, took it from Wiliam, her brother-in-law. I guess I don't understand why the British gave the throne to both William and Mary. Mary did become Queen after her father, who was still living, but she was not Queen alone and shared the throne with William.

It had to do with the fact that William was a cousin of Queen Mary II. His mother ws Princess Mary, a sister of Kig Charles II. and King James II. As she was the nextoldest sister he was next in line of succession after Anne.

On a completely different subject, has anyone else noticed that some media outlets are calling Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother "Queen Elizabeth I"? How ignorant can you get? I've seen this at least twice, once in Time Magazine online. Don't they have any fact checkers?

I cannot identify any of the guests except the ones you mention in your post.

During the time of Alexandra, Maria, and Mary of Teck it was the fashion for the royals to wear excessive amounts of jewelry, especially around their neck. I personally find it very beautiful to look at, but just wondering if a royal lady practicing the same fashion in 2011 would be looked down upon and viewed as tacky.
Apparently Adelaide was not very pretty in real life; but all the portraits I have seen of her she looks so beautiful.

were there supposed to be pictures of Queen Charlotte linked above? I think they may be gone now. :(

Henrietta Maria of France died on September 10th,1669 at the Château de Colombes, Colombes, France.

Henrietta Maria was the daughter of Henri IV of France,the widow of Charles I and mother of Charles II.Her remains were buried near her parents at the Bourbon vault at Saint Denis outside Paris.Sadly her remains were desecrated in October 1793 during the French Revolution.

414px-HenriettaMariaofFrance02.jpg

The future Queen Mary I was born on the 18th of February 1516.

Mary_Tudor_by_Horenbout.jpg

Henrietta Maria of France died on September 10th,1669 at the Château de Colombes, Colombes, France.

Henrietta Maria was the daughter of Henri IV of France,the widow of Charles I and mother of Charles II.Her remains were buried near her parents at the Bourbon vault at Saint Denis outside Paris.Sadly her remains were desecrated in October 1793 during the French Revolution.

414px-HenriettaMariaofFrance02.jpg

What a stunning painting! I'd love to see it. I saw the Dutch Masters exhibition a few years ago and was entranced by the way the artists captured the texture of the fabrics - satins and velvets and laces - and the pearls. So beautiful!

Hi Odette,

Wiliam was also a grandson of King Charles I as a son of Mary, Princess Royal, making him actually fourth in line to the throne at the time. Mary II was second in line to the throne after her brother James, who was also removed from the succession when his father was deposed.

They needed William's army to land in England and that caused James to flee the country aka the Glorious Revolution. So they needed the throne as an enticement for William to act.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Happy Birthday to Queen Henrietta Maria [Consort of King Charles Ist] and to her daughter-in-law Queen Catherine of Braganza [Consort of King Charles II, who shared the 25th of November as their Birthday.

Britroyals.com has family trees showing some queen consorts if you would like to have a go at it.

Joanna of Navarre, Queen Consort of King Henry IV, sent an alabaster monument to the cathedral of Nantes in 1408.

Marguerite of France, Queen Consort of King Edward I, was fond of music and employed her own minstrel, Guy de Psaltery. She hired musicians to entertain her sons on the zither, viola, and trumpet.

Queen Margaret and King Malcolm III of Scotland gave alms to paupers.
https://www.alamy.com/saint-margare...er-husband-king-malcolm-iii-image1283274.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary of Gueldres was Queen of Scotland. She was the wife of King James II of Scotland. He reigned from 1437 to 1460. Mary brought a pleasing supply of up-to-date cannon with her to Scotland.

Mary also acted as Regent of Scotland from 1460 to 1463 for her son James III during his minority.

How fascinating!
Dowager queen and Abbess at Cookham Abbey, must look to see was it dissolved by Henry VIII or destroyed by the Norsemen.

There is some interesting detail here about the manor of Cookham :

"The manor formed part of the dowry of the Queens of England from the reign of Edward I, who assigned the manor in 1281 to his mother Eleanor, (fn. 25) until the end of the reign of Henry VIII,"

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/berks/vol3/pp124-133

but nothing about the later history of the abbey unfortunately.

According to this Henry VIII gave it to Anne of Cleves but she later exchanged it for manor in Suffolk and the abbey was dissolved.
Cookham History

Back
Top Bottom