The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogm View Post
I recall this and the next one came from the Alexander Palace board.

The second picture is not of Queen Alexandra, but of Queen Mary. She is wearing a tiara she had comissioned that was later broken up (presumably to make the Lover's Knot tiara). Her necklace is the Surry Fringe. She is also wearing one of her wedding presents, the Kensington Bow Brooch with pearl drop.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 03-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Aristocracy

Correction.

Whoa!

Sorry for the error.

I hope this sets things right!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
The second picture is not of Queen Alexandra, but of Queen Mary. She is wearing a tiara she had comissioned that was later broken up (presumably to make the Lover's Knot tiara). Her necklace is the Surry Fringe. She is also wearing one of her wedding presents, the Kensington Bow Brooch with pearl drop.
The jewels in the first photo (Alexandra) are blowing my mind.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Royal Highness

Alexandra had some impressive pieces! I would love to see a closeup of the Rundell Tiara (wedding gift from her husband)---

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 04-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Here are some 200 plus images of various British Queens and princesses. Enjoy.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:37 AM

Sir Alan Ramsey, painter in ordinary to George III. did several portraits of Queen Charlotte.

To my eyes the inset in the image below is the original. I say this because it is more expertly rendered than the one it sets atop of. In addition, in the cartoon below it, we see the cartoonist's rendition of Queen Charlotte that most certainly is of the woman in the inset.

And then there are the two other versions of the same portrait that each look dramatically different from each other. In fact, with the exception of the inset and the cartoon, all of the extant portraits of Queen Charlotte looking dramatically different from each other; that is, as if each artist rendered a portrait of the way he thought this woman OUGHT TO LOOK.

And that's not all.

The strongest evidence we have that Charlotte was of African ancestry is Baron Von Stockmar's comment to be found in his dairy: "She had a face of a true mulatto."

Stockmar, a physician, visited the Court a few years before Charlotte died. Years later he became physician to Queen Victoria.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Indeed, she did have negroid features.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Nobility

Gogm, the portrait you posted of Henrietta Maria on March 7, 2006- the first one, where she's holding a piece of fruit, likely an orange, I've seen that photo marked in some books ( I think Antonia Fraser's Charles II or William and Mary by Barbara Van der Zee and her husband) as Mary, Princess Royal, Henrietta Maria's daughter with Charles I who married the Prince of Orange and whose son was William III, husband of Mary II. I've never seen it identified as Henrietta Maria elsewhere- and the orange might seem to suggest a reference to Mary, The Princess Royal her daughter, since she married the Prince Of Orange ( Holland).
Old 03-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Aristocracy

Identity of Sitter

I posted this image on Webshots as "1652 Princess Henrietta Mary Stuart, Princess of Orange, by van der Helst (Rijksmuseum)" with this caption: "This image was probably from the Rijksmuseum (Explore 1000 Major Exhibits - Rijksmuseum Amsterdam - National Museum for Art and History ). However, I did make adjustments to make the image lighter to reveal details. Notice she holds an orange and there is a very Dutch scene right outside the curtains.":

I had no memory of posting this image, mis-identified, in 2006.

I also noticed my signature is outdated, as of 20 January 2009, so I changed that too.

There are numerous images of Henrietta Maria et filles in the 1600s album at the following site:
http://community.webshots.com/user/gogm1 .
Old 03-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Nobility

Oh, I just saw the additional Catharine of Braganza images. She looks better than in the first portrait of her posted in the black dress, where she looks so foreign and plain. She wasn't a beauty ( especially to Charles II), but I like the first of the additional portraits you posted, unfortunately, the links to the other two no longer work.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Serene Highness

Queen Regnants

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but is Elizabeth II the first Queen Regnant to inherit the throne directly from her father? I believe the others who were royal sovereigns in their own right all took the throne from either a brother (Mary I) or sister (Elizabeth I,) brother-in-law (Anne) or uncle (Victoria), with the possible exception of Queen Mary II of William and Mary fame. I am not exactly sure how the Glorious Revolution brought Mary II to the throne.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I may be wrong but I thought Mary inherited the throne from her father King James, brother of King Charles II. Then came her sister Queen Anne who was married to the Danish Prince George.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Serene Highness

Hi Odette,

Yes, you are correct but the throne was given to Mary and William and after Mary died, Anne had to wait for William's death before she ascended the throne. So, Anne, as Queen Regnant, took it from Wiliam, her brother-in-law. I guess I don't understand why the British gave the throne to both William and Mary. Mary did become Queen after her father, who was still living, but she was not Queen alone and shared the throne with William.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Gentry

The thing with Mary II was, that her father almost brought the Roman Catholics back to the throne. But then William of Orange invaded England and the English people followed him. James had to flee and after hus 'abdication' William and his wife Mary became joint regents.

That is, if I understood it correctly
here's a link where the whole situations of the different monarchs are explained:
History of the Monarchy > The Stuarts > James II
Old 01-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

- Queen Gwendolen, legendary Queen of the Britons according to Geoffrey of Monmouth
- Queen Cordelia, legendary Queen of the Britons according to Geoffrey of Monmouth
- Queen Marcia, legendary Queen of the Britons according to Geoffrey of Monmouth
- Boudica, queen of the Brythonic Celtic Iceni people of Norfolk in Eastern Britain who, in 61 AD, led a major uprising of the tribes against the occupying forces of the Roman Empire
- Matilda (or Maud) of England (named, but never ruled 1141 because her title was usurped) styled herself as Lady of the English, although Queen of the English was not unknown; she was named heir by her father, Henry I of England, upon securing the loyalty of nobles of the realm, but Count Stephen of Blois contradicted his promise after the king's death and made himself King of England instead; civil war ensued and was ended when the crown was secured to Matilda's (or Maud's) son, Henry II of England, who became the first king of the House of Plantagenet
- Margaret, the Maid of Norway (heir 19 March 1286 – 26 September 1290) - she was the daughter of Eirik II of Norway and Margaret, daughter of Alexander III, she died during the sea journey to Scotland before being inaugurated
- Mary I, Queen of Scots (ruled 14 December 1542 – 24 July 1567) - she became queen when she was six days old, was crowned at age five, and promptly engaged to the Dauphin of France - the future Francis II
- Lady Jane Grey (ruled 10 July – 19 July 1553) – her cousin Edward VI of England appointed her successor by removing his older half-sisters Mary and Elizabeth from the order of succession as illegitimate heirs; this decision had not been approved by Parliament and was open to questions of its legality; Mary was the heir according to the will of their father Henry VIII of England and was elevated to the throne through revolt; nevertheless, without consideration to Celtic queens such as Boudica, Jane is sometimes referred to as England's first queen regnant; she is called The Nine Days Queen because of the brief period of her reign
- Mary I of England (ruled 19 July 1553 – 17 November 1558) - elevated to the throne in accordance with Henry VIII's will, she is reckoned the first or second queen regnant and subsequent years of her reign as though Jane had never been Queen
- Elizabeth I of England (ruled 17 November 1558 – 24 March 1603) - her elder sister Mary I attempted to remove her from the order of succession; she succeeded her childless older half-sister and led England to one of its richest periods in history, known as the Elizabethan Age; she died childless
- Mary II of England, Mary II, Queen of Scots (ruled 13 February, 11 April 1689 – 28 December 1694) - co-reigned with her husband William III; they were given the throne by Parliament after the same deposed James II during the so-called Glorious Revolution of 1688
- Anne, Queen of England, Scotland and Ireland and later, Queen of Great Britain and Queen of Ireland (ruled 8 March 1702 – 1 August 1714)
- Victoria of the United Kingdom (ruled 20 June 1837 – 22 January 1901)
- Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom (ruled 6 February 1952 - present)

These are all the Queen Regnants I could find.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post

Hi Odette,

Yes, you are correct but the throne was given to Mary and William and after Mary died, Anne had to wait for William's death before she ascended the throne. So, Anne, as Queen Regnant, took it from Wiliam, her brother-in-law. I guess I don't understand why the British gave the throne to both William and Mary. Mary did become Queen after her father, who was still living, but she was not Queen alone and shared the throne with William.
It had to do with the fact that William was a cousin of Queen Mary II. His mother ws Princess Mary, a sister of Kig Charles II. and King James II. As she was the nextoldest sister he was next in line of succession after Anne.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Gentry

On a completely different subject, has anyone else noticed that some media outlets are calling Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother "Queen Elizabeth I"? How ignorant can you get? I've seen this at least twice, once in Time Magazine online. Don't they have any fact checkers?
Old 09-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Commoner

Here there's a lovely old family photo of the Queen Mum on her birthday: Rarely Seen Photographs: the Queen Mother’s 95th Birthday Party « The Royal Post
Old 09-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHLondon
Here there's a lovely old family photo of the Queen Mum on her birthday: Rarely Seen Photographs: the Queen Mother’s 95th Birthday Party « The Royal Post
Who can you spot there? I can only see William (I think he's the only one of his generation there), Charles, Margaret, the Queen Mother, and Andrew accurately.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Serene Highness

I cannot identify any of the guests except the ones you mention in your post.

Tags
british history, pictures, queen consort