British Royal Historical Scandals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The out of wedlock children (I prefer to use this term instead of royal bastards or illegitimate childen) of royalty depending on the time period had a much easier life than if their parents had been average people. If the King acknowledged them or make sure they as well as their mothers were well taken care of, they were lucky as this didn't always happen. As long as the King was alive and didn't have a falling out with the mistress, then the mistress was safe from people trying to harm her or make her life miserable. After the King died or was no longer in the picture, many people who had a bone to pick with him (American term for having a grievance towards someone) or someone who was angry with him sometimes went after the mistress. The children were generally left alone.

It will be interesting to see what Abbot finds.

The out of wedlock children (I prefer to use this term instead of royal bastards or illegitimate childen) of royalty depending on the time period had a much easier life than if their parents had been average people.

It will be interesting to see what Abbot finds.

In fact most of them ended up with very exalted titles. As far as out of wedlock children go, that term was usually for children born of unmarried parents whereas a bastard or illegitimate child was born when one of the parents (or both) were married to others.
Here is a site which shows how France deals with this in modern times.

http://www.unmarriedamerica.org/mem...hes_laws_targeting_illegitimate_children.htm+

Perhaps Mr Abbot should get in touch with Robert Brown, who seems to be under the illusion that he is the love child of Princess Margaret and ? The DM has quite an amusing account of it.

I believe there was a man in Australia many years ago also, who swore he was the result of a brief affair conducted by the Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII) when he was in Australia on a royal tour in the 1920's.

The TRUTH about man who claims he's Princess Margaret's love child | Daily Mail Online

What about a king who takes his son's intended bride as his mistress and has a child with her, and the princess in question is the daughter of the king's imprisoned wife's first husband?

Henry II is said to have had an affair with Alys of France, who had been living at his court since the age of eight and lived there for more than 20 years. Alys had been promised in marriage to Richard (Lionheart), but he went on marrying Berengaria of Navarre when he became king. Alys father, king Louis VII of France, had been the first husband of Eleanor of Aquitaine, and Alys had two older half-sisters from that marriage. At the time a betrothal was considered as binding as a marriage, so if Henry had an affair with Alys, it was as if he was involved with his son's wife.

Last edited:
What about a king who takes his son's intended bride as his mistress and has a child with her, and the princess in question is the daughter of the king's imprisoned wife's first husband?

Henry II is said to have had an affair with Alys of France, who had been living at his court since the age of eight and lived there for more than 20 years. Alinvolved with his son's wife.
Stil non proven. The only thing was that Richard didn't marry her... wcih might suggest that he knew she was "soilded goods".
Anyway, Royal bastards whose mothers were well treated by theier fathers, or where the mothers were of a suitable rank, certianly had a fair share of privilege,....

I think King George I of England had a few skeletons clanking away in his Royal closets. He had an affair with an older woman, Sophia, Countess of Platen and Darlington, who may have been his half-sister.

He was a swine to his young wife, Sophia, to whom he was constantly unfaithful. While Elector of Hanover he divorced her after finding out she had a Swedish lover, Count von Konigsmarck, (whom it is speculated he had killed on his orders) separated Sophia from her two young children whom she never saw again, and imprisoned her for the rest of her life in a remote castle (over thirty years) while he sailed away to become King of England.

George III's daughter....
Sophia or Amelia, I think, Zonk.

Princess Sophia
Thomas Garth, an equerry of King George III, was suppose to have been involved with Princess Sophia. She was suppose to have had a son in 1800.
Garth's son Thomas Garth was born in 1800. Who was his mother?

Yes, I had forgotten about Caroline of Brunswick! That poor woman. To have the abbey doors slammed in your face when you show up for your Coronation! What a lout George!

Caroline of Brunswick must have been horrified when she could not enter the Westminster Abbey doors for the Coronation.

what did she expect? She was only turning up to annoy George, and they had not been living togehter since the first year of their marriage.

It was a miracle that Caroline and George actually managed to have one child given the general unpleasantness of their union.
Poor Princess Charlotte!

It was a miracle that Caroline and George actually managed to have one child given the general unpleasantness of their union.
Poor Princess Charlotte!

Yes, I don’t think poor Charlotte was very close to either parent and at times she seems to have been used as a pawn by one against the other.

Apparently Caroline conceived their only child on their wedding night, after George (according to her) had spent half the night dead drunk, lying with his head on the fireplace grate in their bedroom.

well he must have spent some of the tiime in her bed...

Caroline was a very silly woman, she was probably exaggerating.. he probalby bedded her for a couple of nights and then gave up.

hi.....
well Charles Edward the Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, was merely conforming to the political mores of the day which existed in that period of Germany's history, hardly a scandal in its self !!.

it was the norm and rather a exception for a high rankling German to be linked to the Nazi Party and the Reich, in fact amongst this familys members there were nine individuals who was members of the Nazi Party !! .

yes between the two world wars, the vast majority of the German Royal, Princely, Ducal families and the German Nobility became enthusiatic supporter's of hitler and prominent among them was a great number of Queen Victoria's descendants i fear, even the brother in laws of our present Queen's husband Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, was promiment members of the Nazi Party.....:flowers:
Prince Philips brother-in-law, Berthold of Baden wasn’t a supporter

People thinking that Prince John, Queen Mary’s son was abandoned when he wasn’t. Plus the film that came out about him some many years ago

Yes, I don’t think poor Charlotte was very close to either parent and at times she seems to have been used as a pawn by one against the other.

Before her parents marriage her fathers infatuation and secret union with the Roman Catholic Maria Fitzherbert also caused a major scandal.
George was also constantly in debt which must have given plenty of gossip.

Back
Top Bottom