The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I think all three are descended from Charles II but wikipedia doesn't reference Camilla.

Diana
Sarah is a descendant of King Charles II of England via two of his illegitimate sons, Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond, and James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth.
Camilla is descended from Charles II through Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond and Lennox (son of Louise de Kéroualle).

His daughter, Anne Lennox, married Willem Anne van Keppel, 2nd Earl of Albemarle. They are Camilla's ancestors through the Earls of Albemarle.

Camilla's maternal great-grandfather was Lt. Colonel the Honourable George Keppel, 3rd and youngest son of the 7th Earl. George Keppel's wife, Alice Keppel (nee Edmondstone) was the most famous of Edward VII's mistresses.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Serene Highness

See, everyone is a descendant of Charles II except for me and Russophile!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Administrator

and me! So we are in good company.

I think Charles II and one of the Edwards (maybe also the II) had tons of illegitimate kids...and a majority of the aristocracy and as a result some of the everyday Englishman (and odd American or two) are descended from them.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
...There was a sister of King George III, Caroline Mathilde of Denmark who was married to the King of Denmark and had an affair, right under her husbands nose and had a daughter with her lover...
Truely. The daughter, Louise Augusta, was official known to be the daughter of the king, Christian VII. The king was suffering from having paranoia, self-mutilation and hallucinations.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Administrator

It would be an interesting thought to have a movie or tv movie about Caroline Mathilde...what an interesting life.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
It would be an interesting thought to have a movie or tv movie about Caroline Mathilde...what an interesting life.
There are two movies about Caroline Mathilde - 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dictator_(film) and 2: Herrscher ohne Krone (1957)
But a newer version would be great.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info. I have never heard of those.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
I am not so sure they suffered unduly for being illegitimate, at least not more than any other illegitimate child. Royals were expected to engage in behavior which would not have been as accepted by commoners and these royal bastards were given honors and privileges in recognition of their parentage.

Hey, my 300th POST!
Hmmm, that's true. Royal "bastards" still had some privileges.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Question Calling royal bastards

Calling Royal Bastards! I am conducting research into Royal bastards, their origins, their lives and their psychological hangups. If you or one of your ancestors was a royal bastard, preferably in the 19th or 20th centuries,please respond to this posting! (I am less concerned with earlier centuries for the purpose of this study, although I am always interested,of course). Generally the position of royal bastards deteriorated over this period and continued to do so for royals, who had to show a squeaky-clean image, even if the rest of society were rioting in the permissive society. There appear to be 5-6 royal bastards alive today. It would be good to hear their perspective.

Abbot
Old 07-05-2010, 01:40 PM

According to the Danish movie company, Zentropa, a movie about Caroline Mathilde (UK title: A royal affair), expected premier: late 2011. Read more here: Link me
Old 07-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Serene Highness

The out of wedlock children (I prefer to use this term instead of royal bastards or illegitimate childen) of royalty depending on the time period had a much easier life than if their parents had been average people. If the King acknowledged them or make sure they as well as their mothers were well taken care of, they were lucky as this didn't always happen. As long as the King was alive and didn't have a falling out with the mistress, then the mistress was safe from people trying to harm her or make her life miserable. After the King died or was no longer in the picture, many people who had a bone to pick with him (American term for having a grievance towards someone) or someone who was angry with him sometimes went after the mistress. The children were generally left alone.

It will be interesting to see what Abbot finds.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
The out of wedlock children (I prefer to use this term instead of royal bastards or illegitimate childen) of royalty depending on the time period had a much easier life than if their parents had been average people.

It will be interesting to see what Abbot finds.
In fact most of them ended up with very exalted titles. As far as out of wedlock children go, that term was usually for children born of unmarried parents whereas a bastard or illegitimate child was born when one of the parents (or both) were married to others.
Here is a site which shows how France deals with this in modern times.

http://www.unmarriedamerica.org/memb..._children.htm+