Elizabeth I (1533-1603)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have just learnt of a most surprising event in our island story. Queen Elizabeth I’s privy council ordered bonfires to be lit and prayers to be said in church to give thanks for the defeat of the Ottoman fleet at Lepanto in 1571.
As a Christian queen, Elizabeth had no love of “the Turke”. During the Ottoman campaign to invade Hungary in 1566, long prayers were ordered to muster “spirituall ayde”, lest “the Infidels, who have already a great part of that most goodly and strong kyngdome in theyr possession, shoulde prevayle wholly agaynst the same (whiche God forbyd), and all the rest of Christendom should lye as it were naked and open to the incursions and invasions of the sayde savage and most cruell enemyes the Turkes”.
The notion of Christendom in peril remained, but the remarkable thing in 1571 was that Elizabeth was allying the prayers of Protestant England with the Holy League put together by Pope Pius V. The fleet sent into battle by Spain, Venice, Genoa, Savoy, the Papal States and the Knights Hospitaller from Malta was commanded by Don John of Austria, natural son of the Emperor Charles V and half-brother of Philip II of Spain.

Pope Pius and the Virgin Queen - Telegraph

Its interesting and worth noting that both Elizabeth & Catherine de Médicis in France were both watching to see what happened at Lepanto.Neither of these queens wanted to see an all powerful Spanish Fleet/army.I never knew that bonfires were light & prayers said in England...goodness knows what Catherine did ;)

Also worth a mention is the fact that Pope Pius V was the Pope who excommunicated Elizabeth I of England in 1570!

Last edited:
In 1559, the year after Elizabeth's accession, Parliament passed the Act of Uniformity which made the use of the Protestant Book of Common Prayer compulsory.

In her speech to Representatives of Parliament, in 1601, Elizabeth I remarked:

There will never Queen sit in my seat with more zeal to my country, care to my subjects and that will sooner with willingness venture her life for your good and safety than myself.

In Royal Britain, it was written:

In 1575, with the Earl of Leicester as her guide, Queen Elizabeth made a series of visits to country houses across central England. In these progresses, held each year, Elizabeth descended upon her nobles and people to impress all with her glittering magnificence.
:crown6::crown6::crown6::crown6:

In Elizabeth Virgin Queen, Philippa Jones wrote:

Elizabeth legislated for a Protestant church with the monarch at its head, but refused her father's title of Head of the Church, which, it was argued, could only be held by a man (since men could not be ruled by a woman in matters of religious doctrine).

Queen Elizabeth I granted the musical composers Thomas Tallis and William Byrd a monopoly licence to print and sell music in England. :whistling::whistling::whistling:

One of Elizabeth's suitors was Adolf, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp, brother of King Christian III of Denmark.
Elizabeth did not share his desire to get married.

On January 22, 1552 Edward Seymour the Protector died.
The leader of the Council, John Dudley, became the major force in the English Court.
John Dudley considered the possibility of Princess Elizabeth marrying Francesco d'Este, Prince of Massa Lombarda and son of Alfonse d'Este, Duke of Ferrara and Lucrecia Borgia.

Last edited by a moderator:
On 7th September 1533, Anne Boleyn gave birth to King Henry VIII’s second child at Greenwich Palace. Disappointingly for him, it was another girl

Elizabeth’s childhood was a somewhat difficult and complex one after losing her mother at the tender age of two. Elizabeth and her half-sister, Mary, were declared illegitimate as Henry VIII sought to create space for his male heir, Edward, after his third wife, Jane Seymour gave birth to him in 1537.
When King Henry VIII died in 1547, he was succeeded by his nine year-old son, King Edward VI. During this time, Elizabeth was raised as ‘normally’ as she could be, receiving tutoring like any other Royal child. Elizabeth spent time under the care of her step-mother Catherine Parr, who took charge and oversaw much of her tutoring, hiring scholars such as William Grindal and Roger Ascham.
History Rewind: Birth of Queen Elizabeth I

Elizabeth's suitors were many, and she didn't pick any of them! Besides Robert Dudley and Henry, Earl of Arundel, were Henri de Valois, Duke of Anjou, King Charles IX of France, Archduke Charles of Austria, King Eric XVI of Sweden and Archduke Ferdinand, the Holy Roman Emperor.

Elizabeth's suitors were many, and she didn't pick any of them! Besides Robert Dudley and Henry, Earl of Arundel, were Henri de Valois, Duke of Anjou, King Charles IX of France, Archduke Charles of Austria, King Eric XVI of Sweden and Archduke Ferdinand, the Holy Roman Emperor.

Curryong, Did you mean King Eric XIV of Sweden who reigned from 1560 until he was deposed in 1568?

Yes, he was indeed one of Elizabeth's many suitors.

Yes, Cyril, it was Eric the deposed, (who came to a nasty end possibly through poison) that I was referring to, and carelessly mistranscribed his numbers. Thanks for pointing that out and thank heaven Elizabeth didnt marry him!

Oh, I missed that you had written the numerals wrongly! After how Erik XIV met his end, we never had another king with that name. We did have a prince named Eric (he was one of Gustav VI Adolf's younger brothers), but he also died young in the Spanish flu.

Crown Princess Margaret (Daisy) died shortly afterwards, didnt she, after a mastoid operation?

Yes, she died two years afterwards.

Curryong, Did you mean King Eric XIV of Sweden who reigned from 1560 until he was deposed in 1568?

I often wonder if Elizabeth had married King Eric XIV of Sweden's and his later insanity how would Elizabeth have handled this!

Of course, we will never know. His marriage to Karin Månsdotter seems to have been a happy one though. But I guess Elizabeth made the right choice by never getting married.

Yes, and sent many of them broke in the process!

Nevertheless, according to the book 'Progresses, Pageants and Entertainments of Queen Elizabeth I' some, if not most, of the hosts on these Progresses, used the occasions to push their own agendas.
In 1591 Lord Burghley used the welcome he gave at Theobalds to press for his own retirement and the elevation of his son Robert to Secretary of State.

The Earl of Hertford at Elvetham pressed for support of his policies as Lord High Admiral, after a magnificent pageant. It was said that Leicester used the last hosting at Kenilworth to persuade the Queen to marry him or release him to marry elsewhere. (In fact he did so anyway, much to the Queen's disgust.)

Yes, that was a harsh time. But it seems like Elizabeth turned away from the Catholic Church, since it considered her a bastard, and her cousin Mary (who of course was a devout Catholic) was a threat to her. So I guess that it never could have been different. Religious freedom is historically a very new concept. :sad:

Is it really true though that Elizabeth I didn't use make-up and wigs later in her life? The article seems to claim that "scholars have long discredited the myth that Elizabeth spent her life encased in lead-white makeup".

Foreign visitors who saw Elizabeth were often a lot more objective and honest! Paul Hentznet, a German visitor to Greenwich Palace in 1598 described the 65 year old Elizabeth thus --

'...Her face oblong, fair but wrinkled, her eyes small yet black and pleasant; her nose a little hooked, her lips narrow and her teeth black; her hair was of an auburn colour, but false; upon her head she had a small crown. Her bosom was uncovered as all English ladies have it till they marry. Her hands were slender, her fingers rather long and her stature neither tall nor low. Her air was stately and her manner of speaking mild and obliging.'

From this it doesn't appear that Elizabeth piled on the leaded white paint but she might have done so on certain State occasions, when she was in procession, for example and she became almost an animated icon to the ordinary people in the crowds.

It does seem from the above that in old age Elizabeth wore wigs, also her teeth had rotted. That probably wasn't uncommon among the wealthy, who ate sugary food. I've always been intrigued by the hooked nose. Was it a legacy from her father or her mother?

A portrait of Elizabeth I that is different from the rest.

Elizabeth I's portrait brings us face to face with the ravages of age | Art and design | The Guardian

Foreign visitors who saw Elizabeth were often a lot more objective and honest! Paul Hentznet, a German visitor to Greenwich Palace in 1598 described the 65 year old Elizabeth thus --

'...Her face oblong, fair but wrinkled, her eyes small yet black and pleasant; her nose a little hooked, her lips narrow and her teeth black; her hair was of an auburn colour, but false; upon her head she had a small crown. Her bosom was uncovered as all English ladies have it till they marry. Her hands were slender, her fingers rather long and her stature neither tall nor low. Her air was stately and her manner of speaking mild and obliging.'

From this it doesn't appear that Elizabeth piled on the leaded white paint but she might have done so on certain State occasions, when she was in procession, for example and she became almost an animated icon to the ordinary people in the crowds.

It does seem from the above that in old age Elizabeth wore wigs, also her teeth had rotted. That probably wasn't uncommon among the wealthy, who ate sugary food. I've always been intrigued by the hooked nose. Was it a legacy from her father or her mother?

A portrait of Elizabeth I that is different from the rest.

Elizabeth I's portrait brings us face to face with the ravages of age | Art and design | The Guardian
Thanks for that information! :)

Back
Top Bottom