The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Commoner

If England had accepted Edwards wish for Lady Jane Grey to succeed him, what do people imagine would have happened? I think she would have been a good Queen, certainly preferable to Mary. But then we probably wouldn't have had Elizabeth, and I can't help thinking what may have happened if (or perhaps, when) the Spanish and/or Mary Queen of Scots would attempt to invade.

I think her husband Lord Guilford Dudley would have attempted to oust her, or at least undermine her power. He did after all demand she make him King, which she wisely refused. Of course, one may argue that she wouldn't have lasted because she and her dynasty would face many years of conflict due to her shaky claim to the throne. It quite possibly would have led to an age of civil conflict, and even an early reformation of the rules of English monarchy. I certainly think that England and Scotland would have remained separate powers.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Gentry

Interesting thought. I doubt that with another regent, England would have become one of the world's biggest powers - at least not that early.
I'm under the impression, that unlike Elizabeth, Jane hadn't been such a strong, independent (perhaps even intelligent) individual. She probably would have been influenced too much, by others.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Nobility

.. one never knows; look at Queen Victoria - she was bullied in her youth by her mother and that man .. and what a formidable Lady she became ...

Lady Jane Grey was very well educated, keen to learn and intelligent by all we know. She was highly praised by her teachers and the people she corresponded with.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love Elizabeth, she is my favorite monarch of England. But in reading about her, I think her quirks about other people around her marrying really angers me. And although I admire her, I don't like the way she treated Jane's sisters; well the youngest, Mary, most of all. Catherine was pushing some buttons.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Serene Highness

I think that ,that boy that prince that her father always wanted that healthy baby boy was Elizabeth she wasn't a boy but she was in every way what Henry wanted in a son and she was a great monarch just like her father .
Old 07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I found some recent articles questioning the possibilty that Elizabeth I had a child.The two most likely candidates for the illegitimate child of Elizabeth are Arthur Dudley and Edward De Verre.There is even an idea that two kids raised by Robert Dudley's lover were the children of their union with the Queen.Could Elizabeth I have been secretly married to Robert Dudley?
After all,she was a Queen,that was witty enough to cover and arrange all these things.
The Elizabeth Files » The Arthur Dudley Myth
Did the Virgin Queen have a secret love child? | Mail Online
Old 07-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Nobility

That was allready discussed in this Forum ... people do and write anything to get attention and earn their bread ....
Old 07-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Serene Highness

Elizabeth I was supposedly a "virgin queen" and never married though she fell in love so she may have had a child that was never known in history and if these two are supposedly her children a DNA test with a decendent of a Tudor to be done somehow unless you can't reopen a royal tomb::whistles::
Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Commoner

what kind of relationship did Elizabeth have with her father knowing that he killed her mother?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
what kind of relationship did Elizabeth have with her father knowing that he killed her mother?
After a lot of exterminations and executions operated by Henry VIII,all people feared him and his family members were not exceptions,we could suppose.When her father died she was 13-14 ,I think she had mixed feelings,she hardly remembered her mother,being a little child at the time of her execution.At that time Elizabeth probably decided for herself never get married,but she felt protected by her father,while the real dangers appeared later.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Serene Highness

Elizabeth worshiped her father. The fate of her mother was somewhat veiled for several years. When her father's fifth wife, Catherine Howard, was executed, she truly freaked. When she went through the scandal involving her stepmother Catherine Parr and her husband Thomas Seymour, that sealed it. She would never marry, and I can't say I blame her!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
Elizabeth worshiped her father. The fate of her mother was somewhat veiled for several years. When her father's fifth wife, Catherine Howard, was executed, she truly freaked. When she went through the scandal involving her stepmother Catherine Parr and her husband Thomas Seymour, that sealed it. She would never marry, and I can't say I blame her!

I am not totally convinced on that based on reading quite a number of the documents from the time over recent years.

Had a suitable candidate for her hand have been found who would be be ruled by her but wasn't a subject she would have married but she was also saved once Mary had James as there was an heir (and a protestant heir at that).
Old 08-05-2011, 03:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Elizabeth did not marry for various reasons; one of those reasons being she did not want to share her power. As Queen she was the monarch and if she married people would expect her to submit to her husband.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Commoner

she definitely stood her ground by not marrying in a time where marrying and producing heirs was a woman's main job as a royal! (though it's still the same idea nowadays lol)
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Having done a little research,I came across the interesting fact.The present heir of the Duke of St.Albans,Charles Beauclerk,wrote some historical books.Basically,Dukes of St.Albans descend from Charles II and Nell Gwyn's natural son.They are also descendants of Edward de Verre,17th Earl of Oxford.In 2010 he published "Shakespeare's Lost Kingdom:The True History of Shakespeare and Elizabeth",in which he espouses the theory that Edward de Verre was the illegitimate son of Queen Elizabeth I .
His theory could sound fantastic,but many suppose that Elizabeth contracted a legitimate marriage with Robert Dudley,and was the mother of two children ,one called Robert Devereux .I do think that if that's true,their son could be Robert Dudley (the explorer) who was not the son of Douglas Sheffield in that case.
Just my opinion.
Charles Beauclerk, Earl of Burford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shakespeare's lost kingdom: the true ... - Google Books
Edward de Vere, 17th Earl of Oxford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dudley_(explorer)
The other question that brings my attention is the question of probabilty and accuracy of DNA analysis brought from a dead peron and compared to the others or maybe the supposed descendants.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
she definitely stood her ground by not marrying in a time where marrying and producing heirs was a woman's main job as a royal! (though it's still the same idea nowadays lol)
I recall reading that Queen Victoria wanted to pull an Elizabeth and not get married, until she fell in love with Albert. It took a lot of bravery for Elizabeth to stand her ground in refusing to get married and some manipulation. Women today who don't want to get married, or have kids are looked upon as some kind of alien life form. It seems that even in royal circles, the men are seen as having to get married and have children as part of their duty; don't know what kind of situation would arise if Elizabeth II had just said "you know what not looking forward to getting married, might not want to do it"
Old 08-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Serene Highness

And yet, Victoria wasn't even twentyone years old, when she got married, and had nine children.

But yes, it's hard enough to be single today (just ask yours truely), even if you're not royal. So being an unmarried queen (or king, for that matter) centuries ago, who didn't produce heirs to the thrown, must have been hard. But of course, Elizabeth must also have earned some respect from many people for standing her ground. And in the 16th century, it was dangerous to criticize your regent anyway.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Elizabeth I and the men she loved: How the Queen gave an Essex toyboy her heart, then lopped off his head | Mail Online
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Old 11-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Gentry

Without a doubt,the greatest monarch England has ever had.

Tags
biography, british history, earl of essex, earl of leicester, elizabeth i, line of succession, pictures, queen regnant, robert dudley, tudor