The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Serene Highness

I'm sorry. English isn't my first language, Swedish is, so I make mistakes some times.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I agree with most of what you said except about King Henry VIII not preparing his daughters a little better. Queen Elizabeth shared a tutor with her brother and was extremely well educated, especially for girl of her time. She could speak and write many languages including Latin and it would be hard for anyone to be her equal as far as education goes. King Henry certainly did nothing to stop his daughter´s education and she proved she was very capable of ruling indeed when the throne did come to her.
Elizabeth - was educated - yes, obviously wasn't talking about her education. Should have been more clear... I guess I was talking about Mary which is interesting because I started reading "The First Queen of England" by Linda Porter and there was this quote on pg 30.
Quote:
Many writers have seen Vives as a malign influence on Mary's entire life. In effect, he has been accused of taking an intelligent girl and denying her the chance, through his theories, of developing as an independent, confident woman. This fits well with the long-held view of Mary as a victim; at the point in time when she began the more serious part of her schooling, she was trussed into the straightjacket of Vives's ideas and emerged permanently damaged, believing she was inferior to men and could not trust her own judgment. In this interpretation, she never stood the chance of being a successful ruler since her education had alienated her from the very qualities needed to become one. Nearly a generation later, her much younger half-sister, Elizabeth, benefiting from the new ideas that spread with the Reformation, was not so encumbered and was thus better equipped to take the reins of government.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Courtier

^^
I read that even if she has lovers (which I don't doubt) she had a anomaly in her genitals that meant that she would be always half virgin. I think that her hymen couldn't be totatally broken or something like that.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:57 PM

There's lots of theories but most commonly accepted is that after so many heartbreaks she simply decided to be a born again virgin lol. I think that's probably the most lkogical explanation.
If you consider her weakened position when she first became queen, any inkling of a condition like this would have seen her removed. Don't forget that Queens were checked frequently to make sure they would be able to produce. It would be much easier to cover up being a non virgin than having a "disability" like this (remember any form of disability back then was seen as a devils curse) and with her mothers track record they'd have had a field day with something like that.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Gentry

The only positive thing I can say about Elizabeth I, which I've heard may not even be true, is that she remained a virgin, and was devoted to her country. Other than that...well, nothing, really.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Gentry

^ did she ever marry? sorry im new here
Old 05-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice the goddess View Post
^ did she ever marry? sorry im new here

No she never married and hence the title 'Virgin Queen'.

She claimed that she was married to England.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian85033 View Post
The only positive thing I can say about Elizabeth I, which I've heard may not even be true, is that she remained a virgin, and was devoted to her country. Other than that...well, nothing, really.
Really? She's one of my favs. I think she really improved England's position in the world. Also, it wasn't easy being a woman in that time period and she managed to not get her head cut off.

And if (along side being devoted to her country which is usually the fall back "positive thing" people say about monarchs who didn't do all that much good or bad) being a virgin is (you say) her main positive quality... well I can understand how in the sixteenth century virginity was seen in a positive light and Elizabeth used that to her advantage, but it's downright sexist in this day and age to say that a woman's main positive (or negative quality) has anything to do with her sexual history (or lack thereof). If Elizabeth was a virgin, that has no bearing on her personality, intelligence, or ability to rule. If she wasn't, that also has no bearing. I suppose either way her discretion when it came to her personal life, indicated by how all these years later we don't know exactly what she was up to, could be praised, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Personally, I was absolutely fascinated by the whole virginity debate when I first got interested in her, but now I'm rather sick of it. It doesn't really matter in the long run, unless she had a child. Which she didn't, as far as we know. Catherine the Great managed to hide a child, but people found out eventually. Same for Thyra of Denmark. If Elizabeth had had one I think it would've come out eventually.
So long and goodnight...
Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

You clearly need to read more about the woman then, because you obviously don't know much about her.

There are many positives to take away from the Elizabethan era, the Queen's alleged virginity has nothing to do with any of them.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I am curious why you can say nothing positive apart from Elizabeth's virginity and devotion to her country. I can come up with any number of positive attributes for most people, despite my personal dislike for them, and with historical subjects, contemporary sources and historical treatises afford us the ability to examine their lives closely.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I've just found this thread which I find very interesting. I believe that Elizabeth was married to Leicester (compelling evidence to support this) and that Elizabeth was the biological mother of the great Sir Francis Bacon and the Earl of Essex whom she ultimately had executed. She was a great Queen and, like all successful, great rulers, put her obligation to the state above everything else. Or so I believe.

As for the painting, it's highly possible that it is Elizabeth. Whoever it is is certainly pregnant as Tudor fashion in Elizabeth's day was for tightly fitted clothes, all waisted, at least in every picture I've ever seen.
Sorry Polly but I'm another doubter of the "compelling evidence" that Elizabeth was married to Leicester. The only places anything remotely connected to this theory appear are on websites and in books dedicated to Sir Francis Bacon, and he seems to gather a whole load of theories including being the true author of Shakespeare's plays!
I've never seen any true Elizabethan scholar make mention of Elizabeth and Leicester being legitimately married or her producing children. In fact, there's often a school of through put forward to indicate Elizabeth may have had Amy Robsart murdered just so she could never marry Leicester.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Gentry

I certainly believe she probably had that poor woman murdered.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Administrator

What are the sources that support a theory that Elizabeth had Amy Robsart murdered? Wouldn't Leceister have more of a reason to have his wife killed?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:07 PM
Aristocracy

I did read somewhere that Robert Cecil could have had Amy murdered so it would have been impossible for Elizabeth to marry Leicester, but I cannot remember where ! As Cecil was pushing for Elizabeth to make a foreign marriage , to remove Leicester from the picture would have suited him. Of course , poor Amy could just have fallen, as some historians believe, I think she may have been suffering form some form of cancer, but I will have to try and research this.

Further to my above post, the information came from Elizabeth and Leicester by Sarah Gristwood
Old 08-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

I'm afraid I've missed something here. Who was Amy Robsart, and how would her dying have made it impossible for Leicester to marry Elizabeth?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Amy was Leicester's wife. She basically died after falling down the stairs and breaking her neck (if I recall w/out looking at Wikipedia). Maybe people thought that either Leicester or Elizabeth had Amy murdered so that the two could marry. Never happened.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Gentry

A friend of mine took this picture in Portsmouth I guess. I'm wondering now, whether the one on the left hand side, is the monogramm of Elizabeth I? Cause of the I between the E and R...and what das that sign on the right hand side mean?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monogramm.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	274757  
Old 09-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Courtier

has there ever been painted a picture of Elizabeth when she was a child? Several has been made of her brother as a baby, so I wonder if some have been made of her too, and maybe her sister.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Serene Highness

Not that I'm aware of. The earliest portriat of Elizabeth was done when she was about 12.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think I've seen the portrait when she was about 12. I'm looking for it. My favorite is a painting of her playing the lute or similar instrument. She was older in that one.

Tags
biography, british history, earl of essex, earl of leicester, elizabeth i, line of succession, pictures, queen regnant, robert dudley, tudor