The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-25-2005, 01:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
I believe (from what I remember from my art history classes) that it was Giovanni Arnolfini himself who commissioned the painting to commenorate/validate his marriage. In the back wall, it's written "Jan Van Eyck was here," so not only did the artist produce a painting, he also acted as a necessary witness to the marriage ceremony. He paints his self portrait reflected in the mirror.
I don't know if you've read or watched Girl with a Pearl Earring, the story behind another famous Dutch painting, but Vermeer's bedroom was also the house's hall where the dinner parties took place (you can see their bed in the backround). That might be the same case w/ the Giovanni Arnolfini Marriage. Also, there's some symbolism in that the husband is standing by the window, the outside world where he makes his living as a merchant/banker, and the wife is standing by the bed as her place is in the house. Van Eyck also did a portrait of Arnolfini.
That's what I know about the painting...very interesting subject. Now if you were refering to who commissioned the Elizabeth I "pregnant" painting, don't know much about it.
Oh yes. Sorry. I meant who commissioned the Elizabeth artwork. As well as his portrait in the mirror, there's another figure. Could it be us that is witnessing the event too? Yes, I watched it. Ah, you might be right about the room. I hadn't really thought about where the figures were standing. Thanks. :)

Old 06-25-2005, 04:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

haha good one Dennism!

Old 06-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
He was born in 1561, when Elizabeth was 31.

Slight nitpick: she was born in 1533 and, thus, would have been no more than 28.

Sorry, I'm weird like that.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, being Gloriana, you'd be the first to know!
Old 06-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Aristocracy

Hehe, true enough.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:24 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
haha good one Dennism!
Thank you. Glad you liked it.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Nobility

That's an interesting article, but I guess we'll never know the truth for sure.

I must admit, she does look pregnant to me though!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Belive she lived and died "Pure"
Old 11-29-2005, 02:58 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know if it was post before or you know that, but here is a link to sirbacon site which talks about The marriage of Elizabeth with Earl of LeicesterTudor (they had 2 sons)

Have a nice reading.

http://www.sirbacon.org/links/marriageofet.htm

And her big biography on
http://englishhistory.net/tudor/monarchs/eliz1.html

Have a nice reading.

P.S. Isn't it like with marriege between Queen Victoria and Mr Brown? They was married or not
Old 12-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Courtier

I thought my teather in the 7 th grade was pregnant but she just had a big tummy.
Too much alchohol can make your tummy bigger :-)
Old 12-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Aristocracy

Well, Elizabeth was described as a thin woman, so I doubt she had a big tummy.:p
Old 12-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

lol, i guess we will never really know if she ever did have a child, the most we can do is speculate. But the painting is still damning evidence isnt it? Or do you think she wanted the painting done to see what she would look like pregnant? Or, it could be some sort of symbol, that she is pregnant and carrying England in her womb?
Old 06-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Nobility

Show claims Elizabeth I had secret child

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...4-115418-2045r
Old 06-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorIII
Show claims Elizabeth I had secret child

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...4-115418-2045r
Nice article (though, frankly, nothing new) but what is it doing in Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip Current Events thread? :p

<< ed: Now moved! >>
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here is a photo of the Christening robe that Queen Elizabeth apparently wore. It's great because I have been searching around to find actual clothes worn by the Tudors.

http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/images/Elizarobe.jpg
Old 03-25-2007, 12:17 AM
Courtier

I've just found this thread which I find very interesting. I believe that Elizabeth was married to Leicester (compelling evidence to support this) and that Elizabeth was the biological mother of the great Sir Francis Bacon and the Earl of Essex whom she ultimately had executed. She was a great Queen and, like all successful, great rulers, put her obligation to the state above everything else. Or so I believe.

As for the painting, it's highly possible that it is Elizabeth. Whoever it is is certainly pregnant as Tudor fashion in Elizabeth's day was for tightly fitted clothes, all waisted, at least in every picture I've ever seen.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth's teapot sold for £1m

A Chinese teapot that once belonged to Queen Elizabeth I has been sold at auction in Hong Kong for more than £1m.
The 10-inch porcelain teapot, decorated with songbirds and trees, was purchased by British-based antique dealers Littleton and Hennessy, on behalf of an overseas collector.
According to Sotheby's, the queen gave the teapot to her chaplain, Bishop of Worcester Henry Parry, in the early 1600s.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Courtier

This one of the tragic events of Queen Elizabeth I 's reign she her own cousin Queen Mary of Scots had planned to kill her so she could be Queen of England. Mary keep saying she was innocent but was found guilty and behanded that is a horrible way to die.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
I've just found this thread which I find very interesting. I believe that Elizabeth was married to Leicester (compelling evidence to support this) and that Elizabeth was the biological mother of the great Sir Francis Bacon and the Earl of Essex whom she ultimately had executed. She was a great Queen and, like all successful, great rulers, put her obligation to the state above everything else. Or so I believe.

What compelling evidence that says Elizabeth and the Lord Robert married? I find it very, VERY difficult to believe a woman like Elizabeth would marry secretely and then have children. You have to understand that in England at that time, women were seen as unfit to rule. They merely tolerated Elizabeth as Queen because they assumed she'd marry soon and whomever she married would take over as ruling the country. She saw what happened to her father's wives as soon as they married him and with her own sister, Mary. They lost a part of their own identity and at times, their lives. She wanted to be the ruler of England ("I'll have one mistress here, and no master!") and didn't want to share that power or give up that power with or to anyone else. She wanted to marry Lord Robert but knew she couldn't. She sacrificed her own personal happiness (she did want to marry and have children) in order to retain the power of her birthright.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-18-2007, 02:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
What compelling evidence that says Elizabeth and the Lord Robert married?
It seems to be fairly rife among Francis Bacon websites and societies, arguing that he should have been king after Elizabeth because he was a legitimate child (hence the need for her to have been married). The same websites also seem to believe there's no doubt that Francis Bacon was the author of Shakespeare's plays. I suppose it somewhat depends on your definition of "compelling."

Tags
biography, british history, earl of essex, earl of leicester, elizabeth i, line of succession, pictures, queen regnant, robert dudley, tudor