Duke and Duchess of Windsor (1894-1972) and (1895-1986)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I highlighted the points you made that are incorrect. You are right to say that the direct reason Edward VIII was forced to abdicate was because of his relationship to Wallis, but to honestly think that Britain would have been led well by a Nazi sympathizer when Britain was at war with Nazi Germany, is simply wrong.

I know this topic is supposed to be discussed elsewhere, but I can't move your post from a thread to another one, so hopefully a mod will do it for me. :)

You have no idea, when Edward became/if he even was a Nazi sympathiser, my personal opinion however, it was done out of spite to his family who cruelly disowned him. My opinion might be wrong in your eyes, but it certainly ain't in mine.

Britain was saved from a monarch who would have led his country into the lion's den thankfully by a simple misguided heart.
But this thread is about William's suitability, not Edward's...

I did not bring up Edward and his suitability, expat did.
You cannot wholeheartedly 100% say that Britain was saved from this man, as you cannot change the past. So your words are about as good as mine in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the Nazi's came to power in Germany around 1932/1933, and since Edward became involved with Wallis in 1934, and she also had some type of relationship/friendship with the German ambassador as well as a certain Italian Count prior to the Abdication but there is an ample proof (i.e. any biography regarding Edward VIII) that Edward was in fact sympathetic to the Nazi's (and Facism) prior to the Abdication. But as also noted in the past in this thread, there were a lot of well off people (financially and socially) who supported Hitler (i.e. Facism).

His support of them had nothing to do with the way his family treated him. Although one would agree that his support became devoted and public following the Abdication. Like a little child who is angry that he didn't get his way so he acts out to get attention. He did all kinds of treacherous and deceitful things i.e. being an handful when the Government tried to get him out of harms way before France fell, demanding money and a title for Wallis when quite frankly, the Government had a LOT on its plate (like a WAR), supporting the notion of being President of an English Republic (if that isn't treasonous than I don't know what is), etc.

IMO if Edward did not abdicate he certainly would have held the opinion of Chamberlain and did nothing to stop Germany. Although to be honest, the British Monarch has no political power but he was of the mindset that war should have been avoided at all costs. And he kept this mindset after the war and when information regarding the concentration camps became known.

Not a quality one seeks in a monarch IMO. Really, after the War ....England should have put up a monument to Churchill and Wallis (she kept him out of the way!).

Last edited:
My dear Zonk,

Well said. I think Edward VIII was ill-suited to be king and his actions support my opinion (leaving the red boxes lying around, drink stains on papers, shirking his duties when King and delegating those duties to others when he was socializing with Wallis and friends, etc). In some respects, the opposition to his union with Wallis may have given him a reason to leave what he did not really want, or, if Edward wanted it, he did not want it enough to also do what was required of him as King, i.e., be a good constitutional monarch.

I've read in a couple of books that some of Edward's advisers thought he would elope with Wallis before George V died or before his coronation. But they never address the fact that Wallis was married to Ernest Simpson at the time. So the only thing I can think of was that George V died before Wallis could divorce Ernest and marry Edward.

:previous: Wallis' inconvenient husband not withstanding, if he had married Wallis before the death of George V he would never have been King and would therefore never have been in a position to abdicate.

As heir he could not marry without the approval of the King and Parliament. To do so would have cost him the throne immediately and Wallis any chance of any title, let alone that of HRH Queen Wallis.

It would have been a far uglier scandal had he done so. Imagine a King of failing health seeing his son and heir disinherited.

I truly think that some of the hatred towards Edward and this supposed theory that he was ill equipped to be King just comes from anger that he had the guts to put himself above the establishment he was born into. He dared to refuse to play by the rules and as a result he is continuously vilified and portrayed as a person who would have sold the country out to the Nazis if he was king during WWII.

Sympathizing with the Nazis in '32 was different than '34 and different again from '36 or '39 or '41 (etc).

When I look at all the crazy ultimately repressive political parties people sympathize with today, I wonder how they'd like it if one of those "causes" went all Nazi on them - it could happen. I've been watching online Norwegian nationalists backpedal stiffly in the past week - case in point.

I truly think that some of the hatred towards Edward and this supposed theory that he was ill equipped to be King just comes from anger that he had the guts to put himself above the establishment he was born into. He dared to refuse to play by the rules and as a result he is continuously vilified and portrayed as a person who would have sold the country out to the Nazis if he was king during WWII.

I don't see it as hatred but more relief that he left.

He was totally unsuited, poorly prepared, no interest in the role, no idea of what his position was, wasn't trusted by the government of the day - who actually took the decision to restrict the information that was sent to him on the grounds of security (how do I know - well a distant cousin of mine - my grandmother's second cousin - was a member of the government of the day and he was involved in the decisions about what information was to be sent - much less than was sent a year later to George VI).

Fascinating details, IluvBertie - and makes so much sense.

Who needs to wait for Madonna's new movie to "rehabilitate" King Edward and thus Wallis Simpson. Let's just re-write history!

People don't hate Edward for his guts . . . . . they despise him for his lack thereof.

By all reports Wallis didn't want him to abdicate but he did it anyway because he couldn't change the law. Namely that Parliament would have no say in his marriage. He also knew that no Archbishop in the UK would perform a marriage service for them let alone crown Wallis as his consort. Hell she was still married and whilst his fast set of socialites behaved in a publicly immoral way there is no way the Church of England would publicly endorse such behaviour.

So, he took the 'high moral ground" :ROFLMAO: and abdicated or, threw his toys out of the cot, stamped his pampered little feet and stormed off in a huff, intent on causing as much discomfort and unhappiness as he could for his family (obtaining vast amounts of money from his family by deception), mixing with overtly pro-Nazi society in the years leading up to WWII. And if that hurt his erstwhile country . . . . though!

Oh yes, a Prince among men indeed! And if that wasn't enough, upon the death of his brother, he and his little band of supporters tried to steal the throne back from Princess Elizabeth . . . . . she was, after all, just a girl!

Cowards all!

I am sorry I just can't feel any pity for Edward. He was totally unsuitable for the position of King (and not that everyone who has been King has been great or had the character and morals to do so) but he couldn't even just pretend to be interested in the red boxes, how his affairs affected his family, how the government had better things to worry about when war was declared than Wallis's title, any of it. He was just bad.

I do think Wallis got the short end of the stick although there are certainly reasons why one can't feel pity for her. The only pity I feel for her is that I think she gets blamed for his Abdication when as already mentioned he was so stubborn and arrogant that he made the decision all by himself.

I have a question, that perhaps has been answered in this thread previously or in some biography, but why was it so imperative that they be married? She was certainly okay with being a mistress of the Prince of Wales/King and I've never heard of her being the one to push towards marriage. So why couldn't he have just kept her as a mistress? Was it simply his subconscious (or conscious) way of getting out of his duties? Of course, as previously stated, it was much fortune that he didn't last as King anyway... :)

:previous: I think that is very much up for debate.

Wallis, I believe would have been content to be the mistress of the King....the power behind the throne so to speak. She had the social life, the jewels, and money if she wanted why take on the burden of royal duties, having a heir (though I don't believe one of them could have a kid), etc.

Edward I think took on the woman's 1930's role. What man doesn't want to be married to the woman he loves? Isn't that what we all dream of...a happy husband/wife, kids and home? When you put it in simple terms like that you understand some of his thought process. He wanted to be married, tied emotionally and legally to his soul mate, someone to share the joys and burdens of being King.

The problem for Edward was that his soulmate was someone else's wife (and someone else's ex wife in fact). England and the Commonwealth could not abide by a divorced woman with two living husbands. Its interesting how they say two living ex husbands as though it would be better if they were dead. And in fact, I believe that death of an ex husband would have been better for Wallis, as the Anglican church would have considered her to be a widow and not a divorcee....bad luck for her that both of her exes were alive.

So in order to think about why Wallis's history was such a problem you need to think in 1930's terms and in not 2011. Now pretty much anything goes IMO. The class system was/is very much of 1930's England. Honestly, fidelity, etc were very important character traits (although to be honest people did cheat, steal, lie, etc.) Nowadays we don't expect much from our leaders because they have shown to be fallible but than you did....they were held to a higher esteem.

As someone said (Churchill or the PM)....the lower class hate that she is American and don't mind the husbands and the upper classes hate the fact that she has had husbands, or something like that. She was just totally unsuitable to be Queen but very suitable for a mistress. Elspeth (an old mod) used to say that she found it quite hypocritical that she was okay for a mistress but not good enough for a wife. So its okay to cheat just not marry the person you are cheating with.

Last edited:
I have a question, that perhaps has been answered in this thread previously or in some biography, but why was it so imperative that they be married? She was certainly okay with being a mistress of the Prince of Wales/King and I've never heard of her being the one to push towards marriage. So why couldn't he have just kept her as a mistress? Was it simply his subconscious (or conscious) way of getting out of his duties? Of course, as previously stated, it was much fortune that he didn't last as King anyway... :)

If you think back a decade or so we had a Prince of Wales with an acknowledge 'non-negotiable' mistress. No one really minded until it became an issue at a wedding - a private event but still one where protocol had to be followed and said mistress wasn't going to be able to sit with her partner.

So we had Charles marrying Camilla in 2005 - and some people opposed that marriage on the grounds that she was divorced, some on the grounds that she had played a part in the break-up of Charles' previous wedding, some on the grounds that they simply want Charles to be miserable for ever, etc etc but the main reason why Charles married Camilla at that time was so that he would be able to have the woman he loved by his side at all functions - what person doesn't want that.

Step back to 1936 - divorced people weren't accepted in society so there was no way Edward would ever be able to take her to any event - e.g. Camilla was invited to the Jubilee in 2002 and sat a few rows behind the main family - in 1935 - at George V's Jubilee there was no way that would have been possible.

So - why didn't he want her to remain as simply his mistress - because he wanted to be able to share his entire life with her and he couldn't do that if she wasn't his wife.

I like Edward for standing up for himself and his beliefs and not giving into pressure. I am not going to say whether either he or Wallis was wrong, but I genuinely do not believe they have ever done anything so reprehensible that history has to beat up on them so much. Now not only is he the man who gave up the throne and she the woman who dared to steal England's King, but they are also Nazi sympathizers. I wonder if in another few decades they will be rumored to be cannibals and baby killers as well.
I feel that what Edward had to suffer through and what Margaret had to suffer through laid the path to Charles refusing to go the way of either of them and to stand by the woman he loved and remain Prince of Wales and the future king.
So some say Edward was unsuitable to be King and Wallis unsuitable to be Queen, well the whole establishment of having a monarchy isn't based on suitability; the idea as a whole is based on where and when you were born and who your parents are.
At least in here people are acknowledging that Wallis had no desire to be Queen of England and didnt want Edward to abdicate. Most people who hate WnE portray her as some evil scheming woman who wanted to be a queen.

:previous: The Duke and Duchess ongoing stance regarding the Nazi Party is a well documented fact of history. However, there are no verified reports of cannibalism or baby killing but, I'm sure if you start a forum on the subject . . . . the wacko's will come!

I like Edward for standing up for himself and his beliefs and not giving into pressure. I am not going to say whether either he or Wallis was wrong, but I genuinely do not believe they have ever done anything so reprehensible that history has to beat up on them so much. Now not only is he the man who gave up the throne and she the woman who dared to steal England's King, but they are also Nazi sympathizers. I wonder if in another few decades they will be rumored to be cannibals and baby killers as well.
I feel that what Edward had to suffer through and what Margaret had to suffer through laid the path to Charles refusing to go the way of either of them and to stand by the woman he loved and remain Prince of Wales and the future king.
So some say Edward was unsuitable to be King and Wallis unsuitable to be Queen, well the whole establishment of having a monarchy isn't based on suitability; the idea as a whole is based on where and when you were born and who your parents are.
At least in here people are acknowledging that Wallis had no desire to be Queen of England and didnt want Edward to abdicate. Most people who hate WnE portray her as some evil scheming woman who wanted to be a queen.

To accept what you say, it must be assumed that Edward wanted the throne more than he wanted Wallis-I don't believe this to be the case. Whilst he enjoyed the role of PoW, being King and having to submit to the restrictions and responsibilities that came with it was beyond him-it may have been, that all his life he had hoped that something would occur to prevent it-and then there was Wallis. If she disappeared, there would be nothing between him and the role from which he wanted to free himself.
As for Wallis wanting to be Queen, it's a very long way from my own belief that she never really wanted to marry him. Theirs was a very onesided affair-love, need, dependency being all on his side. She offered to go away (not what one would expect of a woman who would be Queen) and he responded by saying that wherever she went he would find her. He also threatened suicide (not the actions of a man who puts duty to his country above all else) If she was ever to extricate herself from the terrible burden of responsibility that the affair had become her only hope lay in persuading him not to abdicate, and this she attempted to do. It may have been, that reading between the lines she saw that he couldn't have the throne and her, little realizing that he didn't actually want the throne and needed her to prevent him from being tied to it-what irony!!!
I think it possible that, for the rest of his life, he made vague noises about regaining the throne he had been so eager to leave behind, but I believe he was much happier to serve Wallis than to serve his country.
I think your comments on monarchy and and their suitability are valid, however, I am reminded of what Russia did to theirs when they were deemed to be unsuitable!!!

The Duke of Windsor simply exemplified that not everyone is willing to make "the trade."

To be Monarch is an accident of birth, you get everyone bowing and curtsying to you, you get to live in Palaces, have multiple servants, rub elbows with heads of state, have fabulous wealth, jewels, fancy cars, beautiful clothes, extensive world wide travel.

In exchange, you give up your life, your privacy, your freedom of choice, your right to choose your love, your right to a political opinion.

The Duke of Windsor simply was not willing to make that trade off and he has been villified and castigated for that.

Frankly people need to get over it, he was the first, he will not be the last to do so.

He was just a selfish quitter, not at all noble

Many a monarch-in-waiting has dreaded the destiny which awaited them. The Duke of York, he who became George VI, and his wife were appalled at the idea that they were to become King and Queen. They loved their life as it was, and they took on the duty with sadness and determination. They didn't say, "No, not us! We don't wanna do it." When the young Elizabeth learned that she would eventually be Queen, her sister Margaret said, "Oh, poor you."

Although the BRF refer to the Firm, those who would be King or Queen look at it as a holy obligation and not as something to fling aside because it is inconvenient or difficult. They just get on with it.

Edward VIII refused to get on with it, refused to do his duty, put his own feelings above anyone else's, and caused a near-Constitutional crisis.

What he did wasn't standing up for his beliefs and not giving into pressure.
He was a quitter, pure and simple. And Wallis merely happened to be the last in a long line of married women he had committed adultery with.

Many a monarch-in-waiting has dreaded the destiny which awaited them. The Duke of York, he who became George VI, and his wife were appalled at the idea that they were to become King and Queen. They loved their life as it was, and they took on the duty with sadness and determination. They didn't say, "No, not us! We don't wanna do it." When the young Elizabeth learned that she would eventually be Queen, her sister Margaret said, "Oh, poor you."

Although the BRF refer to the Firm, those who would be King or Queen look at it as a holy obligation and not as something to fling aside because it is inconvenient or difficult. They just get on with it.

Edward VIII refused to get on with it, refused to do his duty, put his own feelings above anyone else's, and caused a near-Constitutional crisis.

What he did wasn't standing up for his beliefs and not giving into pressure.
He was a quitter, pure and simple. And Wallis merely happened to be the last in a long line of married women he had committed adultery with.

You have stated the case wonderfully.

Edward VII had doubts when the time came but he did what he had been raised to believe was his sacred duty.

George V also expressed doubts - when his older brother died - but again he accepted the duty and did it very well in trying times - WWI, General Strike, Great Depression (sometimes I think people forget the times over which George V reigned). Then his eldest son and heir turns out to be unwilling to make sacrifices and do his duty. Fortunately his second son understood what his role was and again rose to the challenge.

Charles - when asked years and years ago about how he felt when he realised he was going to be King replied something like 'well you don't sit up in the pram and go 'woopee' which also was a telling statement - 'it is my duty, my destiny and I will get on with it' really. He was very young when he made that comment.

Even William has apparently expressed misgivings about the future - even the lipreading at the wedding said a lot when Catherine arrived at the altar and he turned to her father and allegedly said 'and you wanted a quiet little wedding' or something like that - was again 'look we know what we would have like but...in my position as a future King this is what I have to do and I, and now you, have to accept it'.

Very different attitudes to Edward the runaway, fortunately for Britain, King.

To be Monarch is an accident of birth, you get everyone bowing and curtsying to you, you get to live in Palaces, have multiple servants, rub elbows with heads of state, have fabulous wealth, jewels, fancy cars, beautiful clothes, extensive world wide travel.
Gee! Guess what? Dearest David still had people bow to him, lived in fabulous houses, had multiple servants, continued to rub elbows with heads of state, had fabulous wealth, jewels, fancy cars, beautiful clothes and expensive world wide travel.

He just didn't work a day in his life!

England expects every man to due his duty. Edward VIII didn't and George VI did.

Post 1939 E & W looked like a very pitiful couple who went on and lived a very shallow & empty life contributing nothing to the nation in which they lived. Bertie & Elizabeth devoted themselves to their people and country, and while Bertie died young Elizabeth lived another 50 years after him still carrying on with her public life until the end. Hers was a life well lived.

Last edited:
:previous: I think you meant Edward VIII and not the VII....the VII did his duty as well. And didn't turn out too bad:flowers:

Whether it was for good or bad, noble or selfish, I do think David abdicating did pave for modern royals to choose whether or not to pass the legacy onto their children. Witness Princess Anne. Witness Princesses Caroline and Stephanie. Not to mention marrying a commoner (William certainly wasn't the first, even if the media completely glossed over it). Not to mention marrying a divorcee (I'm sure Charles is secretly grateful to his late great-Uncle for paving the way). Not all that long ago, it was unthinkable for royalty to do any of those things, but now it's commonplace (or at least not that scandalous).

Much as I love royalty, I do think it is an outmoded idea that has served its purpose. Which is why I can't feel angry at David for abdicating. The world had changed from his parent's day, his grandparent's day: royalty don't rule but rather serve as figureheads.

I do take issue with David being a playboy, for devoting his whole life to aesthetism. However, I don't think it was fair for him (or any royal) to have to "serve" just because they were born into the position.

My point was, that in the world we live in today, it is ludicrous to expect someone to give up their entire life, freedom of choices for duty, simply because of the parents they were born to.

I have tremendous respect and admiration for those who do, I feel beyond privileged to have lived my entire life with HM Queen Elizabeth II on the throne and the excellent example and standard of behavior she has set while doing so.

But I can also see someone like HRH The Duke of Windsor who would make another choice.

Being born in the USA, I am well aware of boundless Patriotism with a capital P and the demand of total, blind commitment, the "my country right or wrong, love it or leave it" mindset imposed by a society at large. But we all know that doesn't work, anywhere in the world.

We can all see the dramatic social changes that have happened in ALL western societies over the past 60 years. Yes, divorce is now accepted and ignored, in fact it is expected as a way of life by many. Same as out of wedlock birth, that just to be scandalous, now one gives it a second glance it is so common. We now have same sex marriage in Western societies.

What was once scandalous in proper British society is now for the most part ignored as well as openly talked about. Certainly that affects the Monarchy and how it operates, as was posted before, see the Heir Apparent and his second wife who herself is a divorcee.

My point was, that in the world we live in today, it is ludicrous to expect someone to give up their entire life, freedom of choices for duty, simply because of the parents they were born to.

I have tremendous respect and admiration for those who do, I feel beyond privileged to have lived my entire life with HM Queen Elizabeth II on the throne and the excellent example and standard of behavior she has set while doing so.

But I can also see someone like HRH The Duke of Windsor who would make another choice.

Being born in the USA, I am well aware of boundless Patriotism with a capital P and the demand of total, blind commitment, the "my country right or wrong, love it or leave it" mindset imposed by a society at large. But we all know that doesn't work, anywhere in the world.

We can all see the dramatic social changes that have happened in ALL western societies over the past 60 years. Yes, divorce is now accepted and ignored, in fact it is expected as a way of life by many. Same as out of wedlock birth, that just to be scandalous, now one gives it a second glance it is so common. We now have same sex marriage in Western societies.

What was once scandalous in proper British society is now for the most part ignored as well as openly talked about. Certainly that affects the Monarchy and how it operates, as was posted before, see the Heir Apparent and his second wife who herself is a divorcee.

What you are saying is correct, but as the topic of the thread is the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, we are pretty much going on what society expected of the British Royal family and the future King during this time period.:flowers:

We can talk about social, gender and economic quality into we are blue in the face but that doesn't change the fact that Edward and Wallis were born 60 to 100 years too early.

Renata quoted something that goes along with what you are saying, and I am going to quote something else that I believe those who are critical of the actions of David (and Wallis) are basing their opinions of.

Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy used to say this quite often when people interviewed her about the deaths of her sons, and this is how she said she coped with life's tragedies:

To Whom Much is Given, Much is Required.

Edward, as a member of the British Royal Family, Prince of Wales and future King of England had a lot and I am not just talking about material items. He had the hope of his people. People held him in high esteem and it was thought that he would make great changes (i.e. coal miners, etc.) while maintaining the British monarchy and empire. It it a lot to expect of one person, yes, I would agree that it is. But really all he had to was his duty: read your boxes, do your royal engagements, provide an heir (and if not hey you got your brothers so thats okay). and he chucked it all for personal happiness. People were (and are to this day) died for their country (for King and Country) and he couldn't put his personal happiness aside? I am sorry that's pretty selfish IMO. And than after he left, just more petty and selfish actions. Oh you have a war going on Mr. Prime Minister, well I am not leaving Portugal until I get assurances that my wife will be received by the BRF and she will get her title. Selfish Selfish Selfish!

In regards to your statement " My point was, that in the world we live in today, it is ludicrous to expect someone to give up their entire life, freedom of choices for duty, simply because of the parents they were born to." well personally, I wish we had more people like that. Everyone is so self involved these days, worried about M E and not their fellow man, and always worried about their personal happiness and not anyone else. We could use a bit more of thinking about others and doing your duty.

Last edited:
I wonder, do we Brits want a RF who sets an example, by their exemplary behaviour, as does the Queen, to the rest of us. Do we want a RF that we can look up to, admire and revere.......or would we prefer them to be no different from us? I'm not sure that we can have it both ways. I agree entirely with what Zonk has to say and will follow RFKs quote with one from the QM, "Service is the rent we pay for privilege."

There can be joy in serving other, whereas a constant search for "happiness" can be ultimately unfulfilling; because we are never truly content in this life and things rarely go the way we plan them. We shouldn't expect others to have to deal with the mess we leave behind when we go off in search of "happiness." That's what the Duke of Windsor did. He disappointed a lot of people and left his nervous, stammering younger brother to clean up his mess. Just because society moves in a certain direction, that doesn't mean that the drift is sound.

Everyone is so self involved these days, worried about M E and not their fellow man, and always worried about their personal happiness and not anyone else. We could use a bit more of thinking about others and doing your duty.

Personally, I prefer the former. But then, I'm an anachronism these days myself.;)

I wonder, do we Brits want a RF who sets an example, by their exemplary behaviour, as does the Queen, to the rest of us. Do we want a RF that we can look up to

Back
Top Bottom