The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1561  
Old 09-02-2017, 05:09 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,463
I would hope that Edward would have asked some questions about the role he was to play as King when the Nazis offered him the position, unless it literally was an offer he couldn't refuse! It is probable that they might have hidden their true intentions for the British from him and he could have felt that he might have been able to help his people as King, even if the situation was dire. Faced with the truth though, I do think Edward would have refused to countenance the measures. What would have happened to him in that case? Imprisonment in a castle somewhere, an accident...who knows. It's all hypothetical anyway.

Hitler did regard the English as Saxon and therefore Teuton but I think his admiration for them ceased when they refused to come to the negotiating table after Dunkirk, then after the Blitz, when an offer was put in a speech Adolf made to his faithful minions in Germany in the last months of 1940. They held out, he thought they were cretins for refusing his offer and I don't think there was too much tolerance or admiration on his part left by the end of 1940.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1562  
Old 09-02-2017, 05:29 AM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I don't know of any evidence that she was "left alone", or abused. She had servants who were loyal to her, and took care of her. it is fo course sad that she ended up so ill and unable to have anything like a real life, but that was just bad luck. I'm sure she was well looked after.
Nope she was not, just read the book.
Her closest entourage was fired, her butler stole and published intimate papers and her lawyer imitated her signature and sold or donated items without her consent.
Its clearly not "well looked after".
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1563  
Old 09-02-2017, 06:12 AM
padams2359's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Orleans, United States
Posts: 588
Why would Hitler tell him the truth of his plans when he lied to everyone else about everything? Germany figured "Take England, take the Empire!" 1/4 of the world in one small island. Why do you think they were so determined.
Reply With Quote
  #1564  
Old 09-02-2017, 06:16 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 6,981
Like so many people in the "better class", all over Europe, there was a certain goodwill for Hitler because "at least it are not the socialists or communists". Many German royals and nobles (and Edward was a German Prinz von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, Herzog von Sachsen until the cosmetic change in "Windsor") felt goodwill and understanding for Hitler because of being a dam against those "red herds" which toppled the monarchy in 1918 and because he brought law, order and prosperity after the anarchy of the Weimar Republic.

Hitler managed to outmanoeuvre the hefty and hated burden of the Versailles Treaty. Germany showed the world amazing technical progress, the Berlin Olympics of 1936 were an example of excellent organization, etc. Yes the ongoing crimes against the Jewish were worrying but the organized genocide on people would start during WWII, not in the 1930's, so we must not judge Edward and Wallis, and so many of their fellow British contemporaries, about their attitude towards Hitler, which was "let us give him the benefit of the doubt: is there any alternative?" in the interbellum.

Speculation what he would have done as a puppet King is useless. Edward has abdicated and 100% axknowledged his brother as The King and his niece Elizabeth as the Heir. Period.
Reply With Quote
  #1565  
Old 09-02-2017, 07:53 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,336
I suspect that had Edward been King after 1936, and married to Wallis he may well have abdicated in the run up to War, and moved [with his wife] to the United States. He loved America FAR more than he loved his country of birth..
One thing is certain tho'... Mrs Simpson did us a BIG favour in facilitating his removal from the throne.
Reply With Quote
  #1566  
Old 09-02-2017, 09:49 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: colchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I suspect that had Edward been King after 1936, and married to Wallis he may well have abdicated in the run up to War, and moved [with his wife] to the United States. He loved America FAR more than he loved his country of birth..
One thing is certain tho'... Mrs Simpson did us a BIG favour in facilitating his removal from the throne.
Indeed. Perhaps we should erect a statue to her as the woman responsible for saving the "Great" in Britain?
Reply With Quote
  #1567  
Old 09-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,336
Quote:
Perhaps we should erect a statue...
I'd certainly 'chip in' !
Reply With Quote
  #1568  
Old 09-02-2017, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,463
Noel Coward the composer and playwright, who knew Edward in the 1920s and '30s and was very unimpressed, once said that there should be a statue to Wallis Simpson erected in every town in Britain.
Reply With Quote
  #1569  
Old 09-02-2017, 01:11 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: colchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Noel Coward the composer and playwright, who knew Edward in the 1920s and '30s and was very unimpressed, once said that there should be a statue to Wallis Simpson erected in every town in Britain.
Didn't he famously say, of David/Edward "He hates me because I'm queer and because I know he's queer"?
Reply With Quote
  #1570  
Old 09-02-2017, 01:26 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,463
Yes, apparently there were rumours about Edward's sexuality for years but nothing was ever substantiated. I think his appearance may have had something to do with it, very small and pink and white and gold, youthful looking into middle age. Edward actually seems to have been rabidly heterosexual, especially with married women, and personally I discount the gay rumours.
Reply With Quote
  #1571  
Old 09-02-2017, 01:38 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I would hope that Edward would have asked some questions about the role he was to play as King when the Nazis offered him the position, unless it literally was an offer he couldn't refuse! It is probable that they might have hidden their true intentions for the British from him and he could have felt that he might have been able to help his people as King, even if the situation was dire. Faced with the truth though, I do think Edward would have refused to countenance the measures. What would have happened to him in that case? Imprisonment in a castle somewhere, an accident...who knows. It's all hypothetical anyway.

Hitler did regard the English as Saxon and therefore Teuton but I think his admiration for them ceased when they refused to come to the negotiating table after Dunkirk, then after the Blitz, when an offer was put in a speech Adolf made to his faithful minions in Germany in the last months of 1940. They held out, he thought they were cretins for refusing his offer and I don't think there was too much tolerance or admiration on his part left by the end of 1940.
|no, probably not. I think he would regard tehm as defeated and despise them. but I don't know if David was the type to ask hard questions. he might have been very pleased to be restored to the throne, to have Wallis as his queen.. and managed to turn a blind eye. He never seems to have learned to hide his apparnet belief AFTER the War, that "Hitler wasn't such a bad chap".. so brains weren't his storng point and admiring right wing dictators was something he was prone to do.. like many other upper class folks.
I think David would have been very happy at least at first to become King again.. then maybe he mgith have felt that as a "pro Hitler king" he could use his limited power to help his people.. but if things didn't go that way, I honestly don't know how much he would have protested. And of course if he did complain too much, he would have problably been removed to Germany to soemting like house arrest, as happened to the Belgian King.
Reply With Quote
  #1572  
Old 09-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: colchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, apparently there were rumours about Edward's sexuality for years but nothing was ever substantiated. I think his appearance may have had something to do with it, very small and pink and white and gold, youthful looking into middle age. Edward actually seems to have been rabidly heterosexual, especially with married women, and personally I discount the gay rumours.
Please allow my psychology background to emerge momentarily! His boyish 'pinkness' was very likely the result of have developed orchitis after a prepubescent bout of mumps. It could arguably have resulted in emotional as well as sexual retardation. You refer to him being "rabidly heterosexual" but who, of his lovers, was going to say he was rubbish in the sack? The onus would have fallen on their own prowess. I would never dismiss latent homosexuality. I also feel that Wallis's sexuality was, shall we say, interesting?
Reply With Quote
  #1573  
Old 09-02-2017, 01:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,463
Actually I have read that several of his more obscure lovers, in various parts of the Empire, did hint that Edward wasn't up to much in the sack, Speedy Gonzales, if you get what I mean. When I wrote 'rabidly' I didn't mean that he was lover of the century, just that he had many sleeping companions (often willing married ladies) wherever he travelled, and no homosexual lover has ever come out of the woodwork to tell tales.
Reply With Quote
  #1574  
Old 09-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,015
It ha nothing to do with his sexual performance, it has to do with his sexual orientation. And I agree that he slept with women, not men.
Reply With Quote
  #1575  
Old 09-02-2017, 02:04 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: colchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It ha nothing to do with his sexual performance, it has to do with his sexual orientation. And I agree that he slept with women, not men.
No, it certainly wouldn't have had an effect on his libido, but I think 'dear' Noel could have sensed something in him that he'd have preferred was kept hidden.
Reply With Quote
  #1576  
Old 09-02-2017, 02:07 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,015
I think that Coward just wanted to believe that Edward was homosexual...
if he had been, I think it woudl have come out by now, just as it has that George D of Kent had male as well as female lovers. and it hasn't.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abdication, britain, duchess of windsor, duke of windsor, edward viii, king edward viii, wallis simpson


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duchess of Windsor Jewellery micas Royal Jewels 210 09-03-2017 01:19 PM
The Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson - 3 June 1937 aussiechick12 Historical Royal Weddings 26 05-01-2015 11:42 AM
Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester and Miss Birgitte van Deurs: 8 July 1972 Scott Royal Weddings 15 11-20-2014 10:41 AM
Books on The Duke and Duchess of Windsor Duchess Royal Library 106 07-15-2013 11:49 AM
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester Current Events 1: October 2003-January 2006 A.C.C. Current Events Archive 132 01-13-2006 09:37 PM




Popular Tags
albania best outfit biography birthday carl gustaf chris o'neill crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess victoria current events denmark fashion poll general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín king felipe king felipe vi king philippe letizia monarchy news november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week prince alexander prince carl philip prince charles prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince nicholas prince oscar princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias princess sofia princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats victoria


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises