The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-16-2017, 12:48 AM
Heir Apparent

The Dook was a keen gardener. No doubt the gardens at the Mill got the same keen attention as those at Fort Belvedere.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:29 AM
Courtier

Thank you for posting these, they are lovely.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:13 AM
Serene Highness

thank you for posting these picture Sun Lion they are great !!
sam
Old 02-19-2017, 04:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

This evening there was a PBS show 'Extraordinary Women' airing and tonight's particular episode was on Wallis Simpson. Very interesting. Learned some things I hadn't been aware. Overall, I think it was a sympathetic rendering.

Was surprised to find out that Wallis really did not intend to stay with the Prince when he became King, and that she actually did a lot of good works while in the Bahamas, or was it Bermuda? It also gave a good rendering of her childhood, and her hellish first marriage. Methinks she would have been a much happier woman had she been able to go back to Ernest Simpson and live her life out in that way (as she intended). 'David' really was obsessed with her. In the end she was trapped into that marriage by the world as much as by David. Interesting destiny. Once Ernest Simpson left her, she had little choice as a woman of her time, I think.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:50 AM
Majesty

If she and Earnest had stayed within the boundaries of what was acceptable in the upper crust which, let's face it, was liberal and amoral in such a polite and casual way, they might have lived happily ever after discreetly cheating on each other wrapped up in the social whirl.

However, they were both blinded by Edward and his 'set' and the way they lived. While affairs were de rigour within the aristocracy, the royals were a whole different thing. There were too many "outsiders" privy to the intimate goings on by Edward and his set and things like glass ring marks on official state papers were a bit much to expect to go unnoticed. I think Wallis believed she was in control of the relationship right up until Edward decided he couldn't live without her and announced it to his family and government. And then, suddenly, there was no going back.

I don't believe she saw herself as Queen nor do I think she aspired to be so, but rather to be a wealthy, spoiled, discreet mistress, 'married' to Ernest to give the veneer of propriety, but free to be a wife in everything but name to a rich and powerful royal while Ernest dallied discreetly as well. Neither she nor Ernest factored his falling in love into the equation either. But both Edward and Ernest "fell in love" and she ended up married to an ex-king, effectively banished from England and condemned to obscurity.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:20 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree with everything you wrote except for the obscurity line. I don't believe the Duke and Duchess intended to fade into obscurity and everything they did and said was to try and make sure that they didn't.

There was the visit to Nazi Germany as newlyweds, the many visits to the US over the decades where they were feted by Society, both wrote memoirs, and there were lots of newspaper and magazine articles, like the ones posted above about their homes. They regularly crossed the Atlantic between Europe and the US in the great ocean liners of the day, garnering a great deal of publicity as they did so.

I think they both wished to be thought of and remembered as one of the great romances of the 20th century, star-crossed lovers if you will, in at least the US and Europe if not in Britain and the Empire/Commonwealth. I believe the idea of living quietly and fading into obscurity was hateful to both of them. Also, although David was obsessively in love with Wallis all his life, the memories of his life as a King Emperor were never far away. This was not a man who wanted to fade away and be forgotten.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:23 PM
Serene Highness

Want to stay at The Mill, former home of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor?

Here are the details - see you there.

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/sea...libataire-6060

The Duke with The Mill in the background. Is this the point he called "Cardiac Hill"?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...e50c2101f2.jpg

Some formal photos of the property.

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/C3YTRT/the-...rie-C3YTRT.jpg

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/C3TWFM/the-...rie-C3TWFM.jpg

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/C3TWH9/the-...rie-C3TWH9.jpg

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/C3TWE8/the-...lin-C3TWE8.jpg

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/C3TWBX/the-...-le-C3TWBX.jpg
Old 02-25-2017, 02:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I agree with everything you wrote except for the obscurity line. I don't believe the Duke and Duchess intended to fade into obscurity and everything they did and said was to try and make sure that they didn't.

Iwanted to fade away and be forgotten.
well its simple -David didn't want the responsibilities of being King and the restrictions, such as not being able to marry a divorced American.. or having to do duties when eh wasn't in the mood. but he did want the perks. So when he married Wallis, I agree that he didn't think of "fading away into a quite life with his beloved".. He wated to be still seen as a King like figure, and to go on foreign trips and be lauded as royal...He wanted them to be seen and remembered as 2 of "History's Great Lovers"...
I think that David thought that in a few years he cuodl return to England whenever he liked and do duties, if he felt like it, as a Prince if not a king.. and still be part of the RF, but he could get away whenever he wanted to escape. He didn't realise that George VI would not want his "ex King brother" hanging around, and that the public would lose interest and the rest of the RF would never accept Wallis
Wallis would I think have been happy enough with David as King and her as his mistress, known as his partner in society, and rich and admired, but still having her husband to go back to. And if the affair had ended I think she would have happily returned to her married life (or just gotten a quiet divorce and remarried or been a single socialite), and let David go on as King. She was fond of him but I don't believe she was in love or that she expected the affair to go on indefinitely.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:34 AM
Courtier

If she could have gotten her hands on J. Paul Getty, or one of the others, she would have dumped David.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
If she could have gotten her hands on J. Paul Getty, or one of the others, she would have dumped David.
I dare to doubt that. Becoming the Queen, an Empress of India even, seems more promising to me than becoming a Mrs Getty...
Old 02-26-2017, 01:01 AM
Royal Highness

If David would have lost all his income and title, Wallis may have gone after J Paul Getty, she did like her money. I doubt Mr. Getty would have reciprocated, he preferred glamorous models and blondes.
Years and years ago I read a biography about Wallis and it stated that she was not really all that happy being married to David, of course, she loved the money, travel, title and jet set life, but David remained the immature man he always was and continued to smother her with an obsessive doting. He reportedly, still talked to her in baby talk at times until late middle age. Wallis supposedly became quite irritated and at times was quite mean to David and treated him horribly. As I wrote this was an unauthorized biography of Wallis so how much of it was, in fact, true, I can't say.
However, when David died, I have read that Wallis, already starting to suffer from dementia, kept repeatedly asking for him and wondering where he was.
I think it was a more complicated relationship than appeared on the surface.
In the end, after David abdicated, all they had was each other and had to rely on each other.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think she would prefer a royal /husband or lover, to a rich American.. provided as you say Katrianna that the royal lover was rich and still treated as a special person, which David was.
But yes I think she was not that happy with David as a man.. but she'd gotten into a tangle where she could not really leave him. If she had walked out on him during the Abdication crisis, I think he would have pursued her and unless she had found another husband quickly I think she would have pretty much "had to give in" and come back to him.
He was obsessed. But I thnk she found it a bit waering and they were thrown inot each ohters' company and had to depend on each other. over time yes I thnk that that created a bond, and when eh was gone she was lonely for him. But at times, she was clearly fed up with him and preferred at least one other man, and he was fed up with their lifestyle where he had noting much to do. He loved being with her, but I should think even for him, as he grew older, he problaby had regrets and boredom..
Old 02-27-2017, 12:28 AM
Royal Highness

At the time of the abdication, Wallis had really painted herself into a corner, which I think she had already realized well ahead of time especially when David became King. He had abdicated because he couldn't be without the woman he loved and declared it, not only to the people of Great Britain, but to millions listening or reading it around the world. The press built it up as a great sacrifice for love, for Wallis to leave David at that time would have put her in the position of the cold hearted, uncaring, gold digger per the press. The man who gave up everything and the woman who rejected him without a thought. I do believe that Denville is correct in that David would have pursued Wallis no matter what, he was that obsessed with her.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
At the time of the abdication, Wallis had really painted herself into a corner, which I think she had already realized well ahead of time especially when David became King. Heher.
I think she didn't realise how obsessed he was, perhaps, and she had envisaged the affair ending, probably because he had become king and had to make a suitable marriage. and that she would go back to Ernest. But Ern was then in love with his girlfriend and wanted ot marry her and Wallis found that David was besotted with her and wasn't willing to give her up and marry a nice young lady.
and she said that if she had left him, for good, he would have chased after her..
Old 02-28-2017, 05:48 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think she didn't realise how obsessed he was, perhaps, and she had envisaged the affair ending, probably because he had become king and had to make a suitable marriage. and that she would go back to Ernest. But Ern was then in love with his girlfriend and wanted ot marry her and Wallis found that David was besotted with her and wasn't willing to give her up and marry a nice young lady.
and she said that if she had left him, for good, he would have chased after her..
Even scarier is some reports I've read that David had told Wallis that if she ever left him, he'd kill himself. That's how besotted with her he was and from what I know of the man, he wasn't the strongest of character and it doesn't surprise me that he'd be symptomatic of being codependent totally on Wallis. They led a very narcissistic and hedonistic lifestyle and that is very common in people that demand to get what they want.

I think Wallis enjoyed high society and the high life but she wasn't that committed to any specific goals such as money, titles and devotion. By the time she did come to realize that David's dependency on her was a full blown fatal attraction, it was too late.

People often blame Wallis for the abdication and I do think she was a factor but not the cause. David, himself, would never have been a strong king to lead his country through WWII as his nature was more of a follower than a leader.

JMO of course.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Osipi, I think you are quite right. David had all the stubbornness of a weak and vain man. He was not a leader and it's always been my belief he never wanted to be King and was looking for an 'out' as early as the First World War. Wallis was in many ways the ideal solution. He could claim the high ground in this love story, in abdicating for the woman he loved he gained a lasting fame for both of them. Britain was so very lucky that he was not monarch in 1939.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I've never heard that he threatened to kill himself. But clealry he would not have let WaLLIS go without a drama and a fight and as she had presumably had some feeligns for him and was linked with him.. and in a way had no one to go back to, by then, she was stuck with him.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, Osipi, I think you are quite right. David had all the stubbornness of a weak and vain man. He was not a leader and it's always been my belief he never wanted to be King and was looking for an 'out' as early as the First World War.
I don't know if he wanted out that early. he was reasonalbly good in WWI, tried to get to the Front, and in the 1920s he worked fairly hard at the royal tours.. but he grew bored I think, got fed up with his father and the expectations of "duty duty" all the time. I guess also he knew they would like him to marry a nice well bred girl and produce heirs and he wanted to stay with his devoted Freda.. and his other flings.
But the catalyst was Wallis. If he hadn't met her, I think he would have stayed as King...
Old 03-01-2017, 06:47 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I've never heard that he threatened to kill himself. But clealry he would not have let WaLLIS go without a drama and a fight and as she had presumably had some feeligns for him and was linked with him.. and in a way had no one to go back to, by then, she was stuck with him.
I did a bit of sleuthing and found a very interesting reputable source (The Telegraph) to confirm that David did indeed threaten suicide should Wallis ever leave him. Not only does this mention that threat but this is an excerpt from a book called "That Woman: A Life of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor" by Anne Sebba. It was also made into a documentary that was shown on British channel 4 (I'm presuming as I don't know British channels) called "Wallis Simpson: the Secret Letters".

Its a very interesting read I think and gives a good insight into Wallis while she was going through her divorce from Ernest Simpson.

Wallis Simpson's secret letters to her ex-husband - Telegraph

Tags
abdication, britain, duchess of windsor, duke of windsor, edward viii, king edward viii, wallis simpson