Duke and Duchess of Windsor (1894-1972) and (1895-1986)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The madness of King Edward VIII: Shocking letters hidden for 76 year reveal Archbishop accused Monarch of insanity, alcoholism and persecution mania - and forced him into abdication crisis
He was the first celebrity Archbishop – a man of the cloth who enjoyed the trappings of power. Intelligent and charismatic, Cosmo Gordon Lang baptised the Queen and was a close friend of the Queen Mother. He became the first Archbishop of Canterbury to broadcast to the nation and is even credited with inventing the royal walkabout. But now a darker side to the Archbishop has emerged, with newly discovered Lambeth Palace archives revealing that he betrayed King Edward VIII – the Monarch he was supposed to serve – and orchestrated the Abdication crisis.

Cosmo Lang was a tricky character, but that said, i`m not convinced by this story, any more than i am of the tale that the Duke (never King in my opinion) willingly gave up the Crown for "love." Windsor was an essentially weak man who could not, or indeed would not, sacrifice his own wants and desires, in order to serve the institution that he had been born to serve, ultimately abandoning it, and in the process betraying not only his own birthright but also his own people. Looking at old footage or photographs of Windsor always leaves me rather cold. There is something distinctly odd in his appearance and demeanour, an uncomfortableness. I think that deep down, Windsor knew that he simply was not fit to be King and he sought the first opportunity he could, to betray his duty towards his country.

Although i feel a sentimental sadness about the Windsor's, i have to admit i tend to agree with your suggestions and overall view of the Duke of Windsor's reasons for abdicating, and his failings and weaknesses.
I too think there was something odd and uncomfortable about his appearance and demeanour too.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Windsor knew that he simply was not fit to be King and he sought the first opportunity he could, to betray his duty towards his country.
Perfectly put. IMO 100% correct.

I'd watch it too, if I had access, Lumutqueen.

Stunning watch hidden inside £5 coin King Edward gave to the mistress he dumped for Wallis Simpson expected to fetch £15,000 at auction
An intricate watch concealed within a gleaming £5 gold coin that was a love gift from King Edward VIII to his first mistress is expected to sell for thousands when it goes under the hammer next week. The young Prince of Wales gave the beautiful token of his affection to Freda Dudley Ward some years after he had a passionate affair with the married socialite in 1918. The pair had romantically met in a doorway in London’s Mayfair as they sheltered from a Zeppelin raid during the First World War.
Absolutely stunning!
It took a real craftsman to create a real, working watch to fit inside a coin.

Resized, constitutes less than 20% of the original.

Attachments

• .365.jpg
    .365.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
One cannot have a "mistress" unless one is married. A mistress has to be extramarital.

Cosmo Lang didn't orchestrate the Abdication crisis, although his opposition to any marriage to Wallis Simpson was duly noted. The Government of Stanley Baldwin and the agreement of the Dominions in rejecting a marriage left Edward VIII no choice but to either give up Wallis or abdicate the throne.

He chose to abdicate, which was his own decision to give up his duty to his people and the Crown. By this time, it has certainly been proven without any shadow of a doubt that Wallis was appalled at his decision and was prepared to move on with her life to keep him on the throne.

One cannot have a "mistress" unless one is married. A mistress has to be extramarital.

I understand, that a mistress is s.o. you have a love affair with, but you can't or won't marry; you are not willing or able to share your life with oneanother - as you would do when you are wife and husband.

As she was married - he can't marry her - so she was his mistress. (or he was her toyboy ;))

did diana have any relationship with wallis are was ill by the time she came around the only thing i will know about it is she did attend her funeral

did diana have any relationship with wallis are was ill by the time she came around the only thing i will know about it is she did attend her funeral

From what I read by 1980, Wallis couldn't speak and she was bedridden. I doubt Diana visited her.

Google is the mind killer, never mind fear. Fear ought to be afraid of Google.

Anyhow ... after reading the above I began clicking around and I found this tidbit which really made me laugh out loud.

Brief excerpt from Richard Burton's diaries:

BURTON ON... THE GLITTERATI
13 November 1968 It’s extraordinary how small the Duke and Duchess [of Windsor] are. Two tiny figures like Toto and Nanette that you keep on the mantelpiece.
Chipped around the edges. Something you keep in the front room for Sundays only. Marred royalty. The awful majesty that doth hedge around a king is notably lacking in awfulness. Charming and feckless. [Later] E just reminded me that at one point I said to the Duchess last night, “You are, without any question, the most vulgar woman I’ve ever met.” Waaaaaah!

Richard Burton's diaries are pretty amusing, especially when referring to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. :ROFLMAO:

Richard Burton's diaries are pretty amusing, especially when referring to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. :ROFLMAO:

It was the "Waaaaaah!" at the end that got me laughing. His description of them, his reference to Hamlet withstanding, is not unlike many others I have read over the years. The summation of them as a couple and as individuals seems to be "vacuous".

I admit to a strange fascination with the Windsors. I remember hearing them discussed when I was young and the word "romantic" always seemed to be applied. When I got older and began my secondary education I really delved into their lives and, for the life of me, I could find no "romance" in their story. To me, or my weird mind, the truly romantic ending would have been for him to stay on his throne and her to melt away ... their love for each other so great that they could not bear to bring the other misfortune or infamy. Instead, they gave it to one another and then wallowed in it the rest of their lives.

Not to insult any Americans here, I am expressing my impressions of the mood up here north of the 49th, but goodness what an uproar in my Royal Union and Red Ensign flag flying family over the Windsors. It was like religion or sex as far as dinner conversation went :) I don't think anyone cared that she was divorced but her being an American was ever so tender a thing for my royalist grandparents. Closest I ever saw them to being "treasonous" in respect to their stated opinion of the (then) Monarch was over those two.

Anyway, as time went on, I began to believe that it was all for the best - that he would have made a truly terrible King and, no question, the Monarchy would have lost a lot of support around these parts had he married "that woman". I realize there are many royals out there who were not born in the countries to whose royal families they now belong, and they are well respected and do a fine job, as far as I can tell. But for many, many people I have talked to in my own country and others of the Commonwealth it would have been the same problem.

I wonder what it would mean today ... what if William had of fallen in love with someone not of the Commonwealth (excepting any other royal).

Fascinating couple, though - in a cautionary tale/ train wreck sort of way.

Last edited:
Monarch's Jewels and the Dutchess of Windsor

Edward VIII had access to the Private Jewels of the Monarch for about a year. His mother Queen Mary kept a large amount of the larger pieces until her death, and QE II had been on the thrown for about a year. Queen Mary probable did more for the collection than anyone else. What happened during that year? Did Mrs. Simpson have access to some of them? KE8 was known for giving her large pieces of jewelry through out his life. The reason I wondered is that I just finish watching the 1978 BBC mini-series Edward & Mrs. Simpson. Are there some really old pieces that have not been seen in years and may have cruised to The Bahamas? He could never refuse her anything. I guess I I'm just wondering "What happened to the Queen's Jewels in the year that there was No Queen?

From my grandmother--who would have been in her late 40s at the time of the Abdication--I didn't get the sense that the disappointment was as much with Edward VIII marrying an American as with him considering his own desires more important than his duty as King. I think that people felt betrayed by him; and although there wasn't any great love on people's part for Wallis, she wasn't the one who offended nearly as much as he was.

I don't think anyone cared that she was divorced but her being an American was ever so tender a thing for my royalist grandparents. Closest I ever saw them to being "treasonous" in respect to their stated opinion of the (then) Monarch was over those two.

padams2359 said:
Edward VIII had access to the Private Jewels of the Monarch for about a year. His mother Queen Mary kept a large amount of the larger pieces until her death, and QE II had been on the thrown for about a year. Queen Mary probable did more for the collection than anyone else. What happened during that year? Did Mrs. Simpson have access to some of them? KE8 was known for giving her large pieces of jewelry through out his life. The reason I wondered is that I just finish watching the 1978 BBC mini-series Edward & Mrs. Simpson. Are there some really old pieces that have not been seen in years and may have cruised to The Bahamas? He could never refuse her anything. I guess I I'm just wondering "What happened to the Queen's Jewels in the year that there was No Queen?

Queen Mary kept all of the royal collection after her husband's death and was careful to ensure the jewels remained out of her son's hands. However, Edward did have a large collection of unset gems and some older pieces that were re-set into new jewels for Wallis. These were gifts from the Indian princes during his tours of the Raj as Prince of Wales.

Most of the jewels he gave to Wallis were purchased from Cartier and Van Clef & Arpels.

If Edward had ever given Wallis anything that ever once belonged to the royal family, Queen Mary would have come knocking and gotten it back.

Was there anything that Wallis was required to return to the crown upon her death?

Was there anything that Wallis was required to return to the crown upon her death?

I really don't think so.. at least I've not heard or read anything about effects being returned to the crown. As far as I know, everything David gave her was his own personal gift and none of it belonged to the crown.

padams2359 said:

The Duchess did return some items after The Duke died at Lord Mountbatten's request on behalf of The Queen. These included The Duke's military uniforms and orders, his Garter robes, the coronet used to crown him Prince of Wales, and some paintings. The rest of his property was inherited by The Duchess.

Queen Camilla said:
If Edward had ever given Wallis anything that ever once belonged to the royal family, Queen Mary would have come knocking and gotten it back.

Indeed! Queen Mary did give The Duke a beautiful necklace of natural pearls set with a diamond clasp in 1949 as a gift for Wallis. This was the only time she ever made any kind of gesture towards her.

Was he still a Knight of the Garter? Did he ever participate after abdicating?

padams2359 said:
Was he still a Knight of the Garter? Did he ever participate after abdicating?

The Duke remained a Knight of the Garter but obviously could not participate in the ceremonies as he lived outside of Britain.

Back
Top Bottom