The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal History

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM

Arthur, Duke of Connaught (1850-1942) & Princess Louise of Prussia (1860-1917)

Question about a 1922 photograph in which the Duke of Connaught appears.

Hello all! We recently discovered in the family archive a group photo which includes ten or so "top brass" soldiers: and to quote Alastair Massie of the National Army Museum, "The dignitary seated left of centre is Arthur, Duke of Connaught" (Queen Victoria's son): next to him is General Sir Horace Lockwood Smith-Dorrien - you get my drift? At the back, in the boater, is William Taft, one-time President of the US, and at this time Chief Justice, on a three week visit to the old country to see our justice system: he left for the US, never to return (and hadn't been here since 1888) on July 8th 1922.

The Duke is wearing a black armband: on June 22nd 1922, Field Marshal Sir Henry Hughes Wilson was gunned down by IRA activists outside his home at 6 Eaton Place. The Duke accompanied the coffin at the funeral in St Paul's Cathedral.

Oh, and by the way, the little front row group to the right is Rudyard Kipling en famille.

OK, so now we have dates for the photo: sometime betwixt June 22 and July 8 1922.

The next question is, where? Several of those present are wearing little disks on their right breast pocket (enclosure passes perhaps?): there is a waitress clearing glasses in the background. Taken together this, to my untrained eye, looks to be an equine event of some kind.

Can anyone suggest such an event/date where these people might be gathered together? No writing or trademark anywhere.

We are proud to have a relative in the photo.

Paddy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	group2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	283699  

Old 03-06-2012, 12:59 PM

It seems a bit sad to Reply to my own post, but thought I would inform readers of progress to date. It's possible that the lady front row far left is Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, due to marry Bertie the following year, and eventually become the Queen Mum - what do you think?

Anyway, progress to date, see the thumbnail for number key:

Group photo taken at Fritwell Manor, Oxford, home of Sir John Simon (6)
on July 1st or 2nd 1922. Note round passes worn by some people suggesting an army equine event of some kind, perhaps organised for the Tafts (14 & 15)

1 ?
2 ? Uniformed
3 ?
4 ? Uniformed
5 Donald Sterling Palmer Howard, 3rd Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal.
6 John Simon, 1st Viscount Simon, host of this gathering. He was later to become Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary and Chancellor of the Exchequer. He had “an unfortunately chilly manner”: in 1922 he was MP for Spen Valley and deputy leader of the Liberal Party. Husband of 25.
7 ?
8 ?
9 ?
10 ?
11 ?
12 ?
13 ?
14 US Chief Justice William Howard Taft, formerly US President. On three week fact-finding visit to Britain, 16th June-8th July 1922
15 Helen (“Nellie”) Taft, wife of 14
16 ? Uniformed
17 ?
18 ? Uniformed
19 Bonar Law?
20 ?
21 ? Uniformed
22 Captain William Masters, R.A.S.C.
23 ? Possibly Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon
24 Sir Eric Henry Bonham, equerry to the Duke of Connaught (26)
25 Kathleen, Viscountess Simon, hostess of this gathering. Wife of 6
26 Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, favourite son of Queen Victoria. Note black armband: he is in mourning for the death of his close friend Field Marshal Sir Henry Hughes Wilson, shot by IRA gunmen in London, June 22nd 1922.
27 General Sir Horace Lockwood Smith-Dorrien, great friend of Lord Kitchener
28 Carrie Kipling, wife of 30
29 Elsie Kipling, daughter of 30 and 28
30 Rudyard Kipling
31 Captain George Louis St Clair Bambridge, Diplomat, of Wimpole Hall, near Cambridge: will marry 29 in 1924
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trimmed contour 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	283782  

Old 03-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Serene Highness

My dear Paddym,

Thank you for posting this wonderful photograph. It is unfortunate that I cannot help you with solving its mystery; however, I do not think the woman to the far left is Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon. She would have been 22 in 1922 and the woman pictured here looks much older and more matronly than a single woman in her twenties would have looked. The remainder of the people look to be older as well, which would indicate they might be of a similar generation all around. I did check my biography of the Queen Mother and it mentions that in June and July of 1922, the QM spent her time at dinners, dances, theatres, nightclubs and weekends in the country but makes no mention of her attending such an august gathering.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:16 PM

Thanks for your response, I do tend to agree: though also the lady looks too young for the Duchess of Connaught, who would be over 60 in 1922. She may forever remain a mystery!

I'm also asking for help in the Kipling Society forums, where a member has pointed out, in a letter from RK to his daughter dated 19 July 1922, "...Then I to my graves commission, after having writ our names in the D. of C.'s book, a detail I had omitted since the lunch". Another clue perhaps?

Paddy
Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Postcard, princess Louise of Prussia
http://img.tradera.com/images/630/16...ae4dffa492.jpg
http://www.tradera.com/hertiginnan-l...0212_177857775
Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 AM

Thank you, that is most helpful! The photo looks to me to be person 25, ie Duchess and Duke of Connaught side by side, which makes sense. Any idea of the date of your photo?

I still have no idea of the purpose of the gathering however!

Regards

Paddy
Old 05-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Funeral of HRH Princess Louise Margaret of Prussia,Duchess of Connaught in 1917.