The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-22-2018, 06:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I think you are seeing Alix as a 20th or 21st C girl. She wasn't. She was a 19th Century princess... with very differnet experiences and outlook

Old 07-22-2018, 07:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I don´t think when a teenage girl says she loves a guy, perhaps in 98,5 % cases, it cannot possibly be enough for a longlasting marriage. Who knows at that age, no matter 19th century or nowadays, what love is and means!? This week I love boy x, next week it´ s y....
I guess she said so because she wanted to be a good, obedient little daughter... And I do not believe a second that future royal spouses got married, thinking "Oh, I´ ll be betrayed one day anyway..."
And please, NOBODY is glad to give up ones sex life in normal, healthy circumstances!
But after the sixth child died she was told not to have sex anymore so she wasn't in a normal healthy situation anyway. Had she had another pregnancy there was a good chance she would have died and so aged in her mid-20s she had to give up sex leaving her husband with the same choice - no sex or have mistresses.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:06 AM
Heir Apparent

I've never heard this, but when her health was not that good (attack of rheumatic fever during pregnancy), her deafness etc.. I think that 6 children in about 7 years ddi exhaust her and she was glad to stop having babies...
I don't think that sex was high on herlist of priorities, it wasn't, for many women at the time, when there was no effective contraception.. THey didn't see it as a fun activity.. it was soemthign that led to painful pregnancy and labour, and risking your life...
Old 07-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I've never heard this, but when her health was not that good (attack of rheumatic fever during pregnancy), her deafness etc.. I think that 6 children in about 7 years ddi exhaust her and she was glad to stop having babies...
I don't think that sex was high on herlist of priorities, it wasn't, for many women at the time, when there was no effective contraception.. THey didn't see it as a fun activity.. it was soemthign that led to painful pregnancy and labour, and risking your life...
Her ma-in-law, Victoria, is alleged to have adored 'making them' stage of having babies. She didn't like the bits that followed.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes Victoria was highly sexed, not all women were. That's why I said "many women". Alexandra was a 19th woman, and she didn't see sex, marriage or fidelity in the same way that a modern woman might ...
Old 07-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
They grew apart, but retained a basic fondness and relationship. Alix enjoyed social life as a young bride and they had that in common, but her deafness did make her more inclined to stay home and be with her children and her familiar friends. She wasn't very clever and while Bertie was no giant intellect, he did have more interests which Alix didn't really share...so it was pretty much on hte cards that they would grow apart...
And while she had enjoyed society fora few years, I think that even without the deafness, she would have probably become more of a homebody, and had less to share with her husband.
She was possessive of the children, and didn't treat her daughters, esp Victoria very well...
Good grief! Why does the burden fall on Alexandra? Why point out her flaws but not Edward's?

Yes, Alexandra was a possessive mother who expected Princess Victoria to be on her beck and call. But Edward didn't always treat Alexandra well. Not all royal husbands cheated on their wives, including Alexandra's son, her father, and her brother-in-law Alexander of Russia.The fact that Alexandra actually loved Edward could only have increased her pain and disappointment. Of course she disliked society if it meant facing all the woman her husband had slept with. Edward was very self-indulgent and chose to fritter away his life on parties, mistresses, food, and gambling. His inappropriate associations even led to his being called to testify in court twice. His behavior was hardly befitting the heir to the throne.

Alexandra, on the other hand, always conducted herself with dignity. Give the woman her due. What if Edward had found himself married to someone like Marie of Romania, who took her her own lovers and whose children's paternity has been questioned? Fortunately for Edward, Alexandra chose to keep her mouth shut, look the other way, and take out her unhappiness on their children.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Yes Victoria was highly sexed, not all women were. That's why I said "many women". Alexandra was a 19th woman, and she didn't see sex, marriage or fidelity in the same way that a modern woman might ...

That´s why they went hysteric and fainted all the time (not only because of the tight corsets), because these upper class women tried to surpress their sexuality, as Psychoanalysis found out.
I believe we have nowadays a very limited and strange view upon these past eras. I strongly believe that sexuality was always a very strong and important force in both male or females lives. In some circles women claimed to be "not interested in such activities at all" (which was of course a big fat lie!) because they thought this was the right thing to say for a "decent" woman. All those who admitted it was such great fun had been seen as sluts...

By the way, it wasn´t hard to be "sexed" with a hubby like Albert...
Old 08-11-2018, 10:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Albert wrote to his brother, Ernest of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, on the birth of his daughter, Princess Victoria, in 1841, 'Albert, father of a daughter, you will laugh at me.'
Old 08-11-2018, 10:31 PM
Majesty

Vicky was born in 1840, but it's true that nobility and Kings placed great emphasis on having sons. Nevertheless, Vicky became Albert's favourite child (he could discuss things with her that he couldn't with his other children.) Ernst, Albert's brother, never had legitimate children of his own as he reputedly suffered from syphilis.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Vicky was born in 1840, but it's true that nobility and Kings placed great emphasis on having sons. Nevertheless, Vicky became Albert's favourite child (he could discuss things with her that he couldn't with his other children.) Ernst, Albert's brother, never had legitimate children of his own as he reputedly suffered from syphilis.
But he had illegitimate children, did he? Did he not attempt to father children with his wife because of the syphilis?
Old 08-12-2018, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But he had illegitimate children, did he? Did he not attempt to father children with his wife because of the syphilis?
Did Duke Ernest II of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha have any children at all? I was under the impression he had no illegitimate children.

Tags
biography, british history, pictures, prince albert, prince consort, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha