The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Serene Highness

Albert was a skilled politician who helped Victoria rule her empire and restore respect to the throne, something which her Hanoverian relatives had squandered for many years. Victoria's seclusion after Albert's untimely death cost her some support from her subjects but her longevity and re-emergence into public undoubtedly helped restore their affection for the "old gal."

Old 09-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Albert was a skilled politician who helped Victoria rule her empire and restore respect to the throne, something which her Hanoverian relatives had squandered for many years. Victoria's seclusion after Albert's untimely death cost her some support from her subjects but her longevity and re-emergence into public undoubtedly helped restore their affection for the "old gal."

Just a note - Victoria didn't 'rule' anything - she reigned and her governments (yes plural as by the time she came to the throne many of the colonies had their own local governments with wide ranging powers although not over foreign policy) did the ruling. She was a constitutional monarch with a parliament making the rules and she had the rights to 'advise, warn and be consulted' and the responsibility to sign the laws. She didn't make the laws and, as had been shown in 1832, the monarch was largely under the control of the PM (the PM told the King to swamp the House of Lords with enough peers to pass the Great Reform Act if the Lords refused to pass it - the King made it known that he would do so so the Lords past the Act). If she ruled she wouldn't have had Gladstone as PM. She was totally unconstitutional over the Bedchamber Affair and Albert made sure that that never happened again. She got away with it the first time because the change wasn't the result of an election and the support in the Commons for Peel wasn't all that great but she wouldn't have been able to do it if the majority in favour had been greater as an election would have been fought over the rights of the monarch and she would have lost, I believe.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for correcting me for using "rule" instead of "reign" but I did not mean to imply that Victoria was a legislator and I doubt if many took my post to mean that. I'm glad you only posted a "note" and not a "song." :-)
Old 11-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Albert of Coburg... Consort to Queen Victoria

Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha 26 August 1819 – 14 December 1861) was the husband of Queen Victoria.

He was born in the Saxon duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld to a family connected to many of Europe's ruling monarchs.
At the age of 20 he married his first cousin, Queen Victoria, with whom he had nine children.

At first, Albert felt constrained by his position as consort, which did not confer any power or duties upon him.
Over time he adopted many public causes, such as educational reform and the abolition of slavery, and took on the responsibilities of running the Queen's household, estates and office.

He was heavily involved with the organisation of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Albert aided in the development of Britain's constitutional monarchy by persuading his wife to show less partisanship in her dealings with Parliament—although he actively disagreed with the interventionist foreign policy pursued during Lord Palmerston's tenure as Foreign Secretary.

He died at the early age of 42, plunging the Queen into a deep mourning which lasted for the rest of her life.
Upon Queen Victoria's death in 1901, their son, Edward VII, succeeded as the first monarch of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, named after the ducal house to which Albert belonged.

Albert was a dashing prince, highly intelligent , a man who .. had he lived, would have had a profound effect and influence on the later 19th century.

His grandson was to return to Germany and claim the ancient title of Prince of Coburg
along with all the immense wealth, buildings and landholdings.
He lived through 2 tragic wars which brought an abrupt end to his family dynasty in far off Germany
go here .......

www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/educ...ch/v18977660FQ6BjEnj

Old 11-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Serene Highness

I watched a brief introduction to a video about Prince Albert. In that clip, a commentator quoted Disraeli as saying that if Prince Albert had lived long enough, he would have been a dictator. Did Prince Albert love power that much? Did he try to exercise power over Queen Victoria? The brief clip tried to show that his unhappy childhood left him with a desire to control events and people.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Majesty

I don't about Disraeli's comment remembering that every PM from Peel onwards sought out his advice at times but he most certainly ruled Victoria and was by her side when she saw ministers and even on many occasions he saw the ministers alone.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Serene Highness

Yes, I imagine that the ministers quickly caught on that if they wanted to "influence" Victoria, or at least get her to agree to their positions, they would necessarily have to deal with Albert. But do any historians believe that he would have been a dictator? It is one thing to control a person, many consorts have tried, and a few have succeeded, but to be a dictator?? That is a harsh assessment that I have never heard leveled at the Prince.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireweaver View Post
He was a very good consort to Victoria, and wasn't treated that kindly by the British people.
I agree, and Queen Victoria had loved him very much. Prince Albert's paternity was also clouded with rumors about his illegitimacy. Even though his father recognized him as his own son. It was still alleged that he is not Ernst I's son because of rumors that both his parents were having affairs.
If you look at the British royal family and take away the scandals and the goofy stuff that's going on, people love to have this king to look up to - the royals are like celebrities. ~ Kevin J. Anderson
Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 PM

Was Queen Victoria's marriage to Prince Albert a love match? I can see that QV respects PA because she listens to his advice and even mourns his death for the rest of her life. Isn't that love?:)
Old 05-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Majesty

Victoria certainly fell in love with Albert from the beginning. In time Albert came to love her as much as she loved him.
Much the same as their great-great-grandchildren really - Elizabeth II and Prince Philip. Elizabeth fell in love with Philip aged 13 but his love for her came later but is just as deep and abiding.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:05 AM

That's great to know. I've always thought that royals get married only for security purposes. :)
Old 05-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Serene Highness

Victoria and Albert's love was genuine and their love also manifested itself in their physical relationship as well as companionship. It is believed that Beatrice burned many of the Queen's diaries and letters because Victoria was very explicit about the physical love she shared with Albert.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:44 AM
Royal Highness

I'm reading an older biography of Queen Victoria and was surprised to learn the Prince Albert was really the one who felt that the BRF should be non-partisan or "above" politics. Queen Victoria had been a Whig, and other monarchs had been Whigs or Tories, but Prince Albert felt they should not take sides. This has continued on to this day.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Aristocracy

Yes Prince Albert is an important figure.... tall , handsome...
Victoria was obviously smitten by this German Prince
.... I wonder how good his english was ? did he learn English at school ?
Old 10-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Commoner

I think he made an excellent husband. I always only hear good things about him. I watched the movie "The young Victoria" after hearing it had much to do with him and Queen Victoria and I absalutely loved it.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Aristocracy

LOOKS like he was very tall too... he towered over his young bride !
go here
Celebheaven • View topic - Queen Victoria
Old 10-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstar View Post
LOOKS like he was very tall too... he towered over his young bride !
go here
Celebheaven • View topic - Queen Victoria
However she was under 5 ft tall (I think she was about 4'9" or so but she was small) so comparing their heights that must be taken into account.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Serene Highness

Victoria was very short and consequently nearly everyone towered over her but she had a presence about her which made up for her height. I guess that is what one calls majesty.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasillisos Markos View Post
Victoria was very short and consequently nearly everyone towered over her but she had a presence about her which made up for her height. I guess that is what one calls majesty.
I think that is one reason that the crown in miniature was made for her.

The two of them together I think is an example not surpassed until we really look at how HM and the DoE have endured all these years. The difference is that Philip ruled the roost as far as family matters go and did/does not interfere with his wife's role of being queen. Albert and Victoria I think ruled jointly if only in her name.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have a crush on Prince Albert. I have a crush on a man who has been dead for 150+ years. But man does he embody the term "Prince Charming".

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012

Tags
biography, british history, pictures, prince albert, prince consort, queen victoria, saxe-coburg-gotha