Alastair Arthur Windsor, 2nd Duke of Connaught (1914-1943)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kbk

Nobility
City
Warsaw
Country
Poland
Alastair Arthur Windsor, 2nd Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (9 August 1914 – 26 April 1943) was for the three first years of his life a Prince of the United Kingdom and a Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Duke in Saxony, styled in the UK His Highness Prince Alastair of Connaught and Strathearn, the only child of Prince Arthur of Connaught and Princess Alexandra, 2nd Duchess of Fife. He was a British royal and an heir of two Royal dukedoms from both his parents' sides, as his father was the only son and heir of The Prince Arthur, 1st Duke of Connaught (a son of Queen Victoria), and his mother was the elder daughter of The Princess Louise, Princess Royal (a daughter of King Edward VII). Princess Alexandra was also the heiress of her father, Alexander Duff, 1st Duke of Fife, and in turn, Alastair Arthur was born to be the 3rd Duke of Fife in the future.
At the time of his death in 1943, the Duke of Connaught and Strathearn was the only living male-member of the Windsor dynasty who was not descended from George V, who changed the Royal House's name in 1917 and forbade him a Royal status and title, as he was a male-line great-grandchild of a Sovereign (Victoria).
After his death, there were no other heirs to the Dukedom of Connaught and Strathearn, as he was the only male-line grandchild of The Prince Arthur, its grantee, and it became exticnt. The Dukedom of Fife, which was able to pass through the lines of its grantee's daughters, passed after the death of 2nd Duchess to Alastair Arthur's maternal first cousin, James Carnegie, the only child of Princess Maud of Fife, younger daughter the 1st Duke of Fife and Louise, the Princess Royal.
Ingrid, Queen consort of Denmark, born a Princess of Sweden, the mother of current reigning Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and Anne-Marie, former Queen consort of the Hellens, was one of Alastair Arthur's paternal first cousins. His another paternal first cousin was Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden, the father of current reigning King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden.
http://theesotericcuriosa.blogspot.com/2010_03_08_archive.html
http://www.google.pl/imgres?imgurl=...1&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&biw=1280&bih=705

Last edited:
kbk, many thanks for a thread on Alastair Windsor. I have to confess that when I read his biography, as many Royal bios, I have to stop to figure out the relationship between all the family members.:p

Alastair's mother, Princess Alexandra had one brother. Unfortunately this brother was stillborn. The year was 1890. Alexandra's brother was given the name Alastair Duff. He is listed with the title of Marquess of Macduff.

Prince Arthur and Princess Alexandra of Connaught with their son Alastair
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30040137@N04/2811119929

Although Alexandra was a princess in her own right (for other reasons), I don't think it is correct to name her "Princess Alexandra of Connaught".

My interpretation is that, before she got married, her title was "Her Highness Princess Alexandra, Duchess of Fife". After getting maried, she became "Her Royal Highness Princess Arthur of Connaught, Duchess of Fife".

Last edited:
no, there was no "princess Alexandra of Connaught." she ws Princess Arthur of Connaught...

Louise, Princess Royal, may not have inherited the famous beauty of her mother Queen Alexandra but she did inherit youthful looks into middle age from her, in my opinion, more than her two sisters.

Awful way to die, thank you for the info, I had never heard of him.

Alastair Aurthur with his aunt Princess Maud, Countess of Southesk and grandmother, Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife
http://www.rct.uk/collection/2510509

Thank you for sharing the picture, CyrilVladisla.

I agree with an earlier post that Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife looked great and youthful. She must have inherited (or have similar lifestyle choices) Queen Alexandra's characteristics not just youthfulness, but also her tiny waist.

Alastair Windsor, 2nd Duke of Connaught and Strathearn was also affected by George V's Letters Patent in 1917. Until aged 3, he was address as His Highness Prince Alastair of Connaught.

The Argus (Daily Morning Newspaper in Melbourne, Victoria 1848 - 1957) written that The 2nd Duke of Connaught died at Government House in Ottawa due to "natural causes". At that time, The Duke was "the guest of the Earl of Athlone, Governor General of Canada and Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone, for several months"

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/11349086

According to Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone's biography by Theo Aronson in 1981, The Duke "was found dead on the floor of his room at Rideau Hall on the morning of 26 April 1943. He had died, apparently, from hypothermia."

Sir Alan "Tommy" Lascelles diary (King's counsellor: abdication and war: the diaries of Sir Alan Lascelles) recorded that The Duke (served as a lieutenant) was rejected by The Earl of Athlone and his regiment, Royal Scots Greys for being incompetent. The Duke fell out of a window when drunk and perished of hypothermia overnight.

There is a possibility that The Press was not reporting the full detail or The Press themselves were receiving little information. It was certainly a far cry from today's media.

Last edited:
There were lots of rumours about Alistair when he served in Egypt as well, just before the war, where he was described as 'nice but vague'. He was running with a fast set in Alexandria in 1938, which included the visiting American heiress Barbara Hutton and her then husband. Alistair was in hospital in Cairo for an unspecified complaint for quite a long period of time in 1939.

So it seems very likely that there was something either physical or emotional underlying Alastair's death (and the intoxication wasn't random or simple bad luck), and this is one of the royal deaths that have never been fully explained.

I get teh feeling that he was a heavy drinker, not very bright and living a playboy lifestyle.. so its quite possible he was often drunk... and was just unlucky enough to fall out a window on a very cold night....

The duke was so young at the time of his untimely death.

Were there any royal ladies considered as prospective brides for Prince Alastair?

Back
Top Bottom