Your Favourite Historical British Royal?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I would choose Queen Victoria because she left an huge legacy on all the former British territories and set the example of a leader in a very difficult time; Queen Mum because she really was the force behind her husband and helped a lot with the reconstruction of the Uk after WWII and Queen Elizabeth II because she really has had to put with the worst times of the Royal family and she has managed to do it with pride, too bad Charles won't be a good king:( ...

1. Queen Elizabeth I: for giving Europe's Royal men and the Pope a run for their money. She gave England a sense of drama worth a sequel, we are still waiting.

2. Diana: For being too human. Or maybe too humane at the end.

3. Queen Elizabeth II: for putting up with Prince Philip and with her crazy kids and relatives like Princess Michael.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, one very "bonny" and "Canny" lady :)
followed very closely by her mother, the much loved Queen Mum, Scotlands greatest export:)

Scott

Queen Elizabeth I
and, in the modern era, Prince Charles!!!

Am I Bothered said:
Queen Elizabeth I and, in the modern era, Prince Charles!!!
I don't have any favorites but do think these two was/is more fascinating than others.

1. The Earl of Wessex ( I admire him greatly as he probably as the greatest strength of character that I have ever seen. It rarely happens that someone can stand up to the amount of peer pressure - from his family and media that the Earl has. And than there is the fact that he alone take responisibly for his life and doesn't let spin docters use him and his family for their own means. He know who he is, a kind of steadfast sense of self that is sorely lacking in the other royals. He stood up for his mistakes, didn't blame them on lack of love or attention. And although he gets no thank you for the work he does and is continuous criticised by people who fail to know better, he simply continues with the work.
2. Sophie. Countess of Wessex - I greatly admire someone who is driven by an inner strength of character and purpose.
3. HM The Queen Mother.
4. HRH Prince Philip.

For this list, I used modern royals, but as a historian I was always partial to Constantine the Great, Edward III, St. Helena and Catherine the Great,

Quite a few spring to mind. Here are a some of them:

HM The Queen Mother: I really admire the way she lived like an Edwardian her entire life. No one else would have been allowed!

HM The Queen: She has retained her dignity through all the ups and downs life has thrown at her. Long may she reign!

HRH The Duchess Of Cornwall (Princess Of Wales!!!): She also has retained her dignity, and is far more royal than Diana ever was.

TRH The Duke Of Edinburgh & The Princess Royal: Hard working and always entertaining.

HRH The Duchess Of Windsor: A fascinating woman, and I've always thought she was extremely beautiful.

Anne Of Cleves: The luckiest of Henry VIII's six wives. Did very well for herself indeed!

Last edited:
King- sensitive and caring King George VI

Queen- The Golden Age of QEI

Camilla the Duchess of Cornwall because she really is a lovely and wonderful woman. I admire that she has endured so much over the years and hasn't complained or spoken out. I admire that in spite of everything she is very close to her family and children. That she still has a sense of humor and a good attitude in spite of everything that has happened. The more I get to know her, the more I like her.
In getting to know Camilla, I got to know Charles who is my second favorite. God knows, his private life has been a bit of a mess but I do admire his commitment to Camilla. Unfortunately his private life has long overshadowed his professional life which is a pity because it deserves recognition. He raises over a 100 million a year for his charities and his charities have helped thousands of young people. Being American, I like the fact that he speaks out on issues that he cares about. He is in the perfect position to do it. He has access to people and a private income. I admire that he cares about his country and tries help it and that he is one of the most prolific POW in history.

Diana, Princess of Wales
George VI and consort
Queen Victoria I
Queen Elizabeth I

Queen Mum, Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon... Simply stylish! :)

My fav royal is Anne, The Princess Royal for tireless support of sooo many charties of all types and of her support of the Queen. A lot of times Anne gets overshadowed by other members of her family. Which is sometimes unfair because she is a hardworking person and speaks her mind.

cde said:
Camilla the Duchess of Cornwall because she really is a lovely and wonderful woman. I admire that she has endured so much over the years and hasn't complained or spoken out. I admire that in spite of everything she is very close to her family and children. That she still has a sense of humor and a good attitude in spite of everything that has happened. The more I get to know her, the more I like her

Camilla for all the above reasons, for her silence, her humility, her love for her children and stepchildren, her courage and for sticking by the man she loves despite everything.

Prince Charles for all the work he does and for the courage, finally, to fight for his right to some happiness.

Princess Anne for all her charity work - truly an unsung heroine.

The Queen and Prince Philip for putting up with all their disloyal subjects!

It's so hard to choose one, but I think my favourite of all time would have to be Queen Victoria (followed closely by Queen Elizabeth II).

im beginng to like Philip more and more he seems very interesting , energetic and innovative and William and Harry (of course) Beatrice and Eugenie and little Louise Wessex and her parents

Hello its my first post and i have now read thousands of previous posts on the the royal forums and are now ready to post for my self, gosh so much info.

anyway my fav is HRH Princess Alice , Duchess of Gloucester as she was in my eyes a royal of the old school and when i lived in notting hill i used to walk through the park to work and and on three occasions i saw HRH in the gardens being taken for a walk and belive me after a boring day in the office there is nothing like a glimsp of a princess to brighten up your day.

While I greatly admire the contribution and symbolism of the Queen Mum, I have to admit that my favorites are among the British Royal Rogues Gallery:

Queen Mary - klepto
Prince Harry
Princess Margaret
Sarah, Duchess of York

They all have a little bit of the devil in them and provide some entertaining stories.

Hereditary Mapmaker said:
I have to admit that my favorites are among the British Royal Rogues Gallery:

Queen Mary - klepto
That's unfair to Queen Mary. She did not acquire things for herself but to regain those parts of the Royal Collection which had previously been dispersed.
Regarding the jewels, they were bought.

Hi, MOLEY, and welcome to the forum!

Have you read Princess Alice's memoirs?

thankyou elspeth and yes i purchased a copy about 3 years ago and found it facinating and espically intresting how HRH wrote most of the book on her life before her marrige unlike many who skim over their life and concentrate on their new royal life. i have 2 copies a first print from 1974( i think ) and an update dversion from the 1990's with great added pictures and family sketches.

well, diana of course.....but i really love the british history, the monarchy history of couse, from egbert to william.

I have always been fascinated by Anne Boleyn. She was a force of nature. She changed the course of British history. I wish I'd known her.
anneboleyn2.jpg

Hi, pollyemma!

I also find Anne very fascinating (esp. because she was the mother of Elizabeth I, my favourite royal). I don't approwe of the way she gained power, but if you think about it, the (almost) only way for women to gain influence in those days was through a man. Maybe if men and women were equals, there wouldn't be so many cases of women sleeping and/or flirting their way to the top.

Anne of Cleves and Katherine Parr were also interesting individuals.

Gloriana said:
Hi, pollyemma!

I also find Anne very fascinating (esp. because she was the mother of Elizabeth I, my favourite royal). I don't approwe of the way she gained power, but if you think about it, the (almost) only way for women to gain influence in those days was through a man. Maybe if men and women were equals, there wouldn't be so many cases of women sleeping and/or flirting their way to the top.

Anne of Cleves and Katherine Parr were also interesting individuals.

I'm so glad you agree! anne of cleves is also fascinating. she was an independent woman. i admire the way she built up a life for herself after the divorce.

"my lady of cleves" by Margaret campbell barnes is a really cool novel about her life. I highly recommend it.

I have several favourites, in no particular order:

William III and Mary II, he was such a great statesman and she just a very sympathetic woman.
Grand Duchess Maria Alexandrovna of Russia, Duchess of Edinburgh etc, such a forcefull character.
Empress Victoria of Germany, ambitious woman who saw to many of those crushed.

Helena said:
My favourites are Queen Victoria and her (tragic) daughter Victoria-Adelaide aka Vicky aka the Empress Frederick, very interesting & intelligent women!

I'm going to have to agree with you Helena! :) My two favorites are Queen Victoria and Vicky too. ;) They seem to be the most interesting royals....aside from their several hundred royal relatives lol

This is tough as after the last Stuart monarch, they are all of German descent as opposed to British......

However there have certainly been some colourful folk and certainly fascinating women, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Anne Boleyn and i think Katharine Parr must have been an interesting woman.

Out of all of them though, I think Queen Elizabeth 1. Amazing woman!

Back
Top Bottom