The Most Beautiful Crown Princess Of The Past?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who was the most beautiful Crown Princess in the past?

• Paola of Belgium

Votes: 162 44.5%
  • Sofia of Spain

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • Sonja of Norway

Votes: 41 11.3%
  • Silvia of Sweden

Votes: 54 14.8%
  • Elizabeth II of Great Britain

Votes: 43 11.8%
  • Margarethe of Denmark

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • Beatrix of Netherlands

Votes: 9 2.5%

• Total voters
Queen Sonia and Queen Sofia both were very beautifull and naturals.

For me, Paola. And surprisingly (sp?) Margarethe, she is not that attractive now, but in her younger days, she was quite a beauty.

I think Anne-Marie and Sofia were both really beautiful (and their husbands, wow, they were both VERY handsome young men)

I would have to say that the two most beautiful CP of the more distant past were Alix and Dagmar of Denmark, who were both hailed as beauties of their day. Alix was, of course, Queen Alexandra of GB, and Dagmar became the Empress Maria of Russia. They were both very pretty.

Paola and Sonja were the most beautiful.

Paola
Margrethe
Silvia
Elizabeth
Sonja
Sofia
Beatrix

I would have to pick Paola and I would have to say Anne-Marie. :flowers:

Queen Paola! She was a real beauty.

All the others were pretty, natural and fresh, but Paola was really beautiful and elegant.

Paola of Belgium

because she embodied beauty and grace and self carriage (and she still does!). Such beauty like hers, carried with dignity and charm.

Queen Sylvia

I think Queen Sylvia was beautiful when she was the crown princess.

Sylvia never became Crownprincess.
When she married Carl-Gustav she directly became Queen.

Crownprincesses

Paola is the most beautifull of all :wub: and the second one is Silvia

Sorry but neither Paola nor Sylvia have ever been Crownprincesses before they became Queen.

Paola was only a Princess and then after the death of Alberts brother, she directly became Queen.

Sylvia became directly Queen

... coz in Denmark a Crownprincess is the wife of a Crownprince :)

I do not believe your statement is correct. Queen Margrethe was a Constitutional Crown Princess, that is, a Crown Princess in her own rights.

The wife of any crown prince, is called crown princess but her title is without constitutional backing and derives exclusively by virtue of her capacity as consort to the a crown prince. Proof to this, is that, should any crown prince take divorce, his consort shall cease to be crown princess and, in most cases, a princess altogether.

And this principle applies across the board - not being unique to Denmark.
The same is also true about wives of princes.

Queen Elizabeth II -- a natural beauty and the most beautiful without a doubt! :)

Queen Paola! She was a real beauty.

All the others were pretty, natural and fresh, but Paola was really beautiful and elegant.

I chose Regina's comment because I concur with her.
Let me add, here, the opinion of a man mixed with comments, as I can remember them, from the Media of the 60's and 70's.
Among royalty, there were then three indisputable beauties:
1. Princess Grace of Monaco, who was praised for her cool beauty and astonishing elegance,
2. Paola de Liege or la Princesse de Liege (as the media used to refer her) with star-quality beauty and cosmopolitan aura and chic, and
3. Queen Anne-Marie of Greece who was youthfully beautiful (aged 18 when she married) but not elegant yet (in later years she became extremely elegant).

Comparisons are both unfair and naive. Different people have different qualities and I feel that it pays no justice to anyone to categorize the above six royal personages based on one attribute, particularly beauty, as if in a retrospective beauty pageant.
To start with, you are comparing six royal ladies who differ greatly. Three of them are queens reignant, (ie in their own rights), monarchs that is, and the other three are queen-consorts. The diffrence between the two positions is immense.
Second:
a) immediately upon her marriage, Miss Sylvia Sommerlath became Queen of
Sweden, thus she was never crown princess;
b) Queen Paola was until the death of King Baudouin, Son Altesse Royale, La
Princesse de Liege, (ie HRH the Princess of Liege), thus she was never
crown princess;
c) Queen Sofia, went (technically) from Princess to Queen of Spain. She
was not a Crown Princess for the simple reason that Spain was a Republic
until the death of Dictator F. Franco. Although Franco had chosen Juan
Carlos to become King upon his death, the monarchy came into effect
after his death.

Albeit a princess from a minor, very minor, princely house of the South of Italy and despite the fact that she married "the spare" of the Belgian Throne, Paola de Liege was attracting the reporters and photographers like a magnet. She was a star of the 60's and a big one.

Sylvia Sommerlath was quite attractive but aged 33, that is, already mature (by the standards of that period) when she got married.

The remaining royal ladies have never been described as being beautiful by historians or journalists or camera-men of their era, but they disposed other very important attributes.
As one member posted, Queen Sofia, for example, has always been extremely spontaneous, candid and charming but not beautiful by any stretch of the imagination. The same is also true about QEII, Queen Beatrix, Queen Margrethe. What is true is that as they matured, most of them became very distinguished-looking.

Last edited:
How to choice only one of them? Impossible! They were all beatiful in their own style!

My favorite Queen -speaking about beauty - was Alexandra of England. None of the Princess of the list were as beatiful than her. No one comes even close to her...Maybe her sister,Princess Dagmar (Empress Maria Feodorovna). I don't think that Empresses Sissi or Eugenia de Montijo would be so beatiful as people saids. Well...I don't see any special beauty on them. People speaks that Empress Eugenia was one of the beauties of her time, and I only can see a proud lady with a sad expression and strange depressed eyes.

But my favorite Royal lady as a beauty was not a Queen: It's Maria Nicholaievna. The daughter of the last Tsar Nicholas II. This is in beauty standards, for if I must choice a royal lady in a whole, my favorite one, I should choice Empress Alexandra Feodorovna of Russia and then, her elder daughter, Grand Duchess Olga Nicholaievna.

Vanesa.

Silvia, Paola, Beatrix, Margrethe II, Elizabeth II never Crown Princess

Sorry but neither Paola nor Sylvia have ever been Crownprincesses before they became Queen.

Paola was only a Princess and then after the death of Alberts brother, she directly became Queen.

Sylvia became directly Queen

Correct. Apart from the fact that in many countries the title 'Crown Prince(ss)' simply does not exist.

Donna Paola dei Principi Ruffo di Calabria became The Princess of Liège du moment she married The Prince of Liège. When her spouse unexpecedly became King, she became Queen. Belgium does not know the title of 'Crown Prince(ss)' by the way.

Miss Silvia Sommerlath became The Queen of Sweden du moment she married The King of Sweden.

Neither was Margrethe a Crown Princess. She was called Tronfølgeren (Thronefollower) because an eventual brother, even from a second marriage of her father, would have passed her.

Nor was Beatrix a Crown Princess. She was called the Vermoedelijke Troonopvolger (Presumptive Thronefollower) because an eventual brother would have passed her. The Netherlands does not know the title of 'Crown Prince(ss)' by the way.

Nor was Elizabeth II a Crown Princess. She was Princess Elizabeth of York, then The Princess Elizabeth, after her marriage The Duchess of Edinburgh and finally she became The Queen. An eventual brother would have become Duke of Cornwall (and eventually Prince of Wales) and would have passed her. The United Kingdom does not know the title of 'Crown Prince(ss)' by the way.

Neither Elizabeth II and Beatrix were ever The Princess of Wales / The Princess of Orange, because this title was reserved for the male Heir only. (In 2002 in the Netherlands the Act has been modified: Princess Catharina-Amalia will become the first Princess of Orange in her own right since Claudia de Châlon-d’Arlay, Princess of Orange (1498-1521).

:flowers:

Last edited:
Does Paola of Belgium count as a "Crown" Princess? Because if so it was definitely her...she left all the others in the dust when she was young, IMO.

And even if she doesn't count as a Crown Princess, in my opinion she was the most beautiful Princess in Europe during the Sixties, along with Princess Grace.

If Paola had avoided the Sun and not smoked cigarettes for so many years she would still be stunning, even though I think she is an attractive woman.

Last edited:
Does Paola of Belgium count as a "Crown" Princess? Because if so it was definitely her...she left all the others in the dust when she was young, IMO.

No, as other members already said also Beatrix, Silvia and Elizabeth were Crown Princesses.

Actually the question should be "Which Queen was the most beautiful one in the past?"
This was the question I wanted to ask.

Sorry, for causing confusion.

Thanks...okay then I vote for Silvia. Even though I think Elizabeth was lovely as a young woman as well.

Princess Elizabeth I and then Princess Diana

Queen Elizabeth I has film star looks and that is why Prince Andrew looks like a Playboy and a film star. Princess Diana was very beautiful and that is why Princes William and Harry have the same film star looks.

My vote goes to Paola of Belgium. She was, and still is, a verty beatiful lady.

Back
Top Bottom