The Most Beautiful Crown Princess Of The Past?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who was the most beautiful Crown Princess in the past?

• Paola of Belgium

Votes: 162 44.5%
  • Sofia of Spain

Votes: 26 7.1%
  • Sonja of Norway

Votes: 41 11.3%
  • Silvia of Sweden

Votes: 54 14.8%
  • Elizabeth II of Great Britain

Votes: 43 11.8%
  • Margarethe of Denmark

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • Beatrix of Netherlands

Votes: 9 2.5%

• Total voters
Was Paola of Belgium official a Crown Princess of Belgium?

I think, Paola was the most beautiful Princess indeed, she looked like a model or actress. :flowers:
I voted for Margrethe, though. She may not have been the classical beauty, but she's just one of my favourite Royal Ladies and I found her very pretty and special as a young woman.

:previous: Those are also my two favourites from the list, Dierna.
And I´d add Silvia as third one.

For me, Paola was the most beautiful Princess.

I'm going to go for Paola. She looked like she belonged in "La Dolce Vida".

1. Queen Paola
2. Queen Silvia
3. Queen Elizabeth II

Princess Margaret of Connaught, later Crown Princess Margareta of Sweden was one of the most popular and beautiful princesses of all time.

Paola would have been, had she been a crown princess.

My choice is Sonja of Norway, both because I think she was (and still is) a very beautiful woman, and also because she is the only one on the list who have actually had the title of crown princess. Three of them were heiress presumptive, one became queen directly after the wedding and two were "just" princesses and never had the title crown princess before they became queen.

Beauty is all in the way it's felt. I have no idea who felt the best. Really, because, beauty, perceptions of beauty, feelings of beauty, all fade with age as the love to learn increases.

Donna Paola Margherita Giuseppina Maria Consiglia dei prinicipi Ruffo di Calabria. No any doubt.

I don't really understand "crown" princess and regular princess difference when it's bloodline based reference.

I should have voted for Paola, more than beautiful she was stunning. I feel calling some of these ladies beautiful is a stretch especially Elizabeth and Margarethe, it's ok to admit someone you like isn't beautiful. Elizabeth was pretty at best, beautiful would be her sister.

Last edited:
I don't really understand "crown" princess and regular princess difference when it's bloodline based reference.

I believe the term "crown princess" refers to a princess that is directly next in line to be Queen. Victoria of Sweden is a crown princess as she is next in line after her father to be Queen of Sweden.

Anne is a princess of the UK and the Princess Royal but she cannot be a crown princess as she is not next in line for the throne. The UK doesn't have a title of Crown Prince or Crown Princess. Beatrice and Eugenie are bloodline princesses of the UK but will never be next in line for the throne.

I hope this helps. :D

BTW: I voted for Paola. The more I read and learn about this wonderful woman, she just really seemed to be a beautiful person inside and out.

Last edited:
Silvia went from commoner to Queen... no crownprincess for her.

The term crown princess is often written and spoken in media but only three countries do effectively use that title:

Sweden - Kronprinsessan Victoria
Denmark - Kronprinsesse Mary
Norway - Kronprinsesse Mette-Marit

The other European monarchies refer to a title:

United Kingdom - The Princess of Wales (Camilla)
The Netherlands - de Prinses van Oranje (Catharina-Amalia)
Belgium - de Hertogin van Brabant / la duchesse de Brabant (Elisabeth)
Luxembourg - die Erbgroßherzogin / la grande-duchesse héritière (Stéphanie)
Spain - la Princesa de Asturias (Leonor)
Monaco - le prince héréditaire de Monaco, Marquis des Baux (Jacques)
Liechtenstein - der Erbprinz von und zu Liechtenstein (Aloïs)

Other famous titles are:

France - le Dauphin
Russia - the Tsarevitch
Portugal - Duque de Bragança

:flowers:

Last edited:
I should have voted for Paola, more than beautiful she was stunning. I feel calling some of these ladies beautiful is a stretch especially Elizabeth and Margarethe, it's ok to admit someone you like isn't beautiful. Elizabeth was pretty at best, beautiful would be her sister.

I completely, 100% agree with every word. I think Elizabeth was lovely as a young woman, but she simply was not in Paola's league.

Only a couple of women were in Paola's league imo, the last Shah of Iran's first wife(was her name Soraya?) and of course Princess Grace.

Last edited:
:previous: The Shah's first wife was Fawzia, princess of Egypt. But she isn't well known at all. So yes, the one you mean was Soraya, his second wife. Soraya was an outstanding beauty. I agree that she was in the same league as Paola and Grace.

I think at Fawzia also she was stunning. More than Soraya i believe.

I think at Fawzia also she was stunning. More than Soraya i believe.

I agree, both women were beautiful but I think Fawzia had something more, maybe because she has a more classic look.

Why is there no Anne Marie of Greece in this poll? :(
I've always thought of Anne Marie. She's pristinely beautiful and gives off the impression of a shy beauty that is so charming. Truly amazing beauty even more beautiful than any renowned beauty I know until now.
In my own opinion :)

But for this poll, Paola, Queen of the Belgians gets my vote, too. She was very beautiful even when she just stares somewhere with a blank expression! Although her beauty somewhat faded away when she reached her 40's (smoking, ehem), no one can beat her beauty among the other choices in this poll back in their 20's-30's.

Queen Silvia is very beautiful back then until now, too!
Queen Margrethe is also a stunning beauty since her teens to the time she reached mid-30's. Well the 3 Danish sisters were real beauties!

But my favorite Royal lady as a beauty was not a Queen: It's Maria Nicholaievna . The daughter of the last Tsar Nicholas II. This is in beauty standards, for if I must choice a royal lady in a whole, my favorite one, I should choice Empress Alexandra Feodorovna of Russia and then, her elder daughter, Grand Duchess Olga Nicholaievna.

Vanesa.

I sooo much agree with you, Vanesa. GD Maria Nikolaevna (the one in my avatar) is the most beautiful woman I consider, that if ever I had a choice to choose how I'd look like before I was born, I would choose to look like her! (copycat xD

Princess Alix of Hesse-Darmstadt later the last Tsarina of Russia, Alexandra Feodorovna, is a very beautiful woman, too. She has a sad expression in most of her photos back then but when she smiles, awesome! However, her elder sister, Princess Elisabeth of Hesse-Darmstadt later GD Elizaveta Feodorovna of Russia is more beautiful~ethereally beautiful!!
With regards to Nicholas II's daughters, the GD Tatiana Nikolaevna is the most beautiful actually - an ethereal beauty, too - and I bet had she lived and became Edward VIII of UK's wife, she would've outshone all the queens back in 1920's. She looks very, very beautiful, too - when she had short hair like Audrey Hepburn's, she looked more beautiful than Audrey (why? Because she had no makeup then and yet looked stunning)

However, I'm too biased - will forever be Maria Nikolaevna's fan. She's forever #1 followed by Anne-Marie.

Last edited:
:previous:I agree. Anne-Marie of Greece was one of the most beautiful young princesses in Europe!

Why is there no Anne Marie of Greece in this poll? :(
I've always thought of Anne Marie. She's pristinely beautiful and gives off the impression of a shy beauty that is so charming. Truly amazing beauty even more beautiful than any renowned beauty I know until now.
In my own opinion :)

But for this poll, Paola, Queen of the Belgians gets my vote, too. She was very beautiful even when she just stares somewhere with a blank expression! Although her beauty somewhat faded away when she reached her 40's (smoking, ehem), no one can beat her beauty among the other choices in this poll back in their 20's-30's.

Queen Silvia is very beautiful back then until now, too!
Queen Margrethe is also a stunning beauty since her teens to the time she reached mid-30's. Well the 3 Danish sisters were real beauties!

I sooo much agree with you, Vanesa. GD Maria Nikolaevna (the one in my avatar) is the most beautiful woman I consider, that if ever I had a choice to choose how I'd look like before I was born, I would choose to look like her! (copycat xD

Princess Alix of Hesse-Darmstadt later the last Tsarina of Russia, Alexandra Feodorovna, is a very beautiful woman, too. She has a sad expression in most of her photos back then but when she smiles, awesome! However, her elder sister, Princess Elisabeth of Hesse-Darmstadt later GD Elizaveta Feodorovna of Russia is more beautiful~ethereally beautiful!!
With regards to Nicholas II's daughters, the GD Tatiana Nikolaevna is the most beautiful actually - an ethereal beauty, too - and I bet had she lived and became Edward VIII of UK's wife, she would've outshone all the queens back in 1920's. She looks very, very beautiful, too - when she had short hair like Audrey Hepburn's, she looked more beautiful than Audrey (why? Because she had no makeup then and yet looked stunning)

However, I'm too biased - will forever be Maria Nikolaevna's fan. She's forever #1 followed by Anne-Marie.

:previous:I agree. Anne-Marie of Greece was one of the most beautiful young princesses in Europe!

Might it be because Anne-Marie was never a Crown Princess? She went from being a Danish princess to a Greek queen.

I completely, 100% agree with every word. I think Elizabeth was lovely as a young woman, but she simply was not in Paola's league.

Only a couple of women were in Paola's league imo, the last Shah of Iran's first wife(was her name Soraya?) and of course Princess Grace.

HRH The Princess of Liege (later HM Queen Paola of the Belgians) and HRH The Princess of Hanover,
(the former - twice) Hereditary Princess of Monaco; Caroline was Hereditary Princess of Monaco from her birth until Prince Albert's birth 14 months later, and again from Albert's accession to the the Monegasque throne in 2005 until her niece's, HSH Princess Gabriella (who herself was Hereditary Princess for 2 minutes), birth

I see that mostly European ladies have been mentioned in the thread. While I won't say she was the most beautiful crown princess I think she was one of the most beautiful - Crown Princess Sangey Deki of Sikkim. She died at 25 before becoming queen. Her husband, Palden Thondup Namgyal, went on to marry the American Hope Cook who became the new crown princess.

There are not a lot of photos of Sangey Deki.

This is the first one I ever saw of her:

Darjeeling Unlimited :: Princess from Tibet

This short pdf file is about her life and includes what few photos exist of her. It is titled 'Princess from Tibet' because she was Tibetan.

http://www.darjeeling-unlimited.com/doc/Princess_from_Tibet.pdf

Back
Top Bottom