The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Nobility

Who is she?

Can anybody tell me who is the lady in this picture.

I found it in the address: http://www.nobility-royalty.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Who is she.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	170587  

Old 07-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra
Can anybody tell me who is the lady in this picture.

I found it in the address: http://www.nobility-royalty.com/
A very flattering portrait of Isabella of Spain

Old 07-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Nobility

Thank you, Sean.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Aristocracy

Mystery royal portrait

This portrait is for sale on ebay, however the identitiy of the woman in the portrait is not known. I am trying to help the seller identify her. So far I noticed the dress she is wearing is consistent with the state robes of a British peer, a Duchess for instance. If any one has any idea who this could be I would appreciate the help. The gallery that sold it said the date was 1900 but the artist and subject remain unknown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dagmar.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	242775  
Old 05-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Nobility

My only contribution would be HRH The Princess Royal (Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife)?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:42 AM

It looks like Grand Duchess Augusta of Mecklenburg-Strelitz born Princess Augusta of Cambridge.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:49 AM

p.s - try and date the picture frame because that will give you some idea (if the frame is original) as to when the portrait was painted and then you can narrow it down.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Aristocracy

I tried looking on the frame but no date existed, the frame is not to my knowledge original. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:02 AM

It looks Victorian to me and that would match in with the idea of it being Princess Augusta. My advice would be to take it off of Ebay and send it to auction where the auctioneer will date the frame and find out who it is. Also, you'll reach a wider customer base and you'll get alot more for it.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Commoner

You might be able to find the subject by doing research on the tiara. Many of these are well-known family jewels.

All the best,
marysusan
Old 10-02-2006, 05:40 AM
Royal Highness

It looks very modern to me. Sort of like "the wife's face on the Mona Lisa".
Old 04-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Gentry

Question Who is the lady in the portrait?

http://www.kleio.org/images/large/sforza/677.jpg

This is said to be Ippolita Sforza, born in 1481, died in 1520/1521. Daughter of Carlo Sforza (died 1483), Count of Magenta, illegitimate son of Galeazzo Maria Sforza.

http://www.naergilien.info/research/...cepainting.jpg

This one is said to be Beatrice d'Este (June 29, 1475 – January 2, 1497), Duchess of Milan, daughter of Ercole I. d'Este. And this painting is said to be the work of Giovanni Ambrogio de Predis and Leonardo da Vinci.

But it seems to me that these two portaits are identical to each other, except some decorations(say the headbands, on Beatrice d'Este is a band , while on Ippolita Sforza is two chains of beads; and some clothes details, etc.). Could anyone identify the ladies in the painting? Are they actually the same person? If so, who is she? Beatrice d'Este, or Ippolita Sforza?Thanks~~
Old 04-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Beatrice d'Este was married to a Ludovico Sforza.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_d'Este.

Ippolita Maria Sforza was married to Alfonso, Duke of Calabria who later reigned as King of Naples.
Ippolita Maria Sforza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...SforzaTree.jpg

From what i understand they are sister's in law. Beatrice married Ippolita's brother.

Hope that helps.
x
Old 04-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Gentry

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Beatrice d'Este was married to a Ludovico Sforza.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_d'Este.

Ippolita Maria Sforza was married to Alfonso, Duke of Calabria who later reigned as King of Naples.
Ippolita Maria Sforza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...SforzaTree.jpg

From what i understand they are sister's in law. Beatrice married Ippolita's brother.

Hope that helps.
x
Thanks lumutqueen. But you are actually talking about another Ippolita. Ippolita Maria Sforza, who married to Alfonso Duke of Calabria, was born in 1446, and the eldest daught of Francesco I Sforza. She was the sister of Galeazzo Maria Sforza, Duke of Milan, who was grandfather of this Ippolita Sforza in the portrait through her father Carlo Sforza, Count of Magenta, who himself was an illegitimate son of Galeazzo Sforza. So she was actually the greataunt of the Ippolita Sforza I was referring to(the one in the first portait), who was born in 1481.

In fact, I just wonder if they are the same person in these two paintings, since they seem to be identical to me. And if they are indeed one person, who is she then? Beatrice d'Este, or Ippolita Sforza, daughter of Carlo Sforza. Hope I make my question clear this time....
Old 04-11-2009, 03:51 PM

I think you should take in account that portraits in those days did not always faithfully represent the people they were supposed to represent. It's very much possible these are two different women, both painted to the Renaissance ideal, with only slight differences. I think their noses are different, for example. But that pretty much sums it up when it comes to the facial features.