The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:

how about the swedish royal house where there any insane royals in the past
There was Erik XIV (1533-1577). Among other things, he wrote some rather ridiculous love letters to Elizabeth I, trying to get her to marry him.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratherread
How about Ivan the Terrible. He killed his son in a fit of rage and had whole towns slaughtered. Some of the Ottoman Emperors were rather nuts as well. Ibrahim had his whole harem drowned during a fit of madness.
I read that Ivan the Terrible started out as a magnificent ruler. It was only in his later years that his illness began. He was medicated with heavy doses of Mercury which made him insanelly mad and caused uncontrollable violent outbursts. Imagine his dispear once the medication resolved itself in his system and he realized he had killed his son or others for that matter. It must have been horrible for him and all those around him. I can't remember what the doctors were trying to treat him for... If anyone knows....

Old 08-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Royal Highness

I have a documentary of the Czars or Russia. In its account of Ivan the Terrible, they tell a horrible story about this man that leads one to believe completely why he was insane. His entire family was executed and he was kept a virtual prisoner. Hatred and anger burned in his heart. When he became Czar, he brought his revenge upon all who he felt had betrayed him and his family.

For a few years, Ivan was actually calm and sane due to his wife Anastasia Zahkarina Koshkina. Ivan fell in love with her and it was a true love match. However, when Anastasia died in 1560, Ivan went crazy again until after he murdered his own son. Realizing he killed his heir, Ivan was a beaten, broken man and retreated into melancholy and died that way in 1584 at the age of 53.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Royal Highness

Just thought I would bring this thread back with another amusing story, this time about The Duke of Edinburgh's grandfather:

From David Randall's Royal Misbehaviour: Crazy Kings and Kooky Queens:

George I, King of Greece and roller skating enthusiast. His favoured venue for this activity was the grand ballroom of his Athens palace, where he would thread his way in and out of the ornate pillars with the rest of his family, in order of seniority, following behind! (p 94).

Can you all imagine the sight of this?? I would love to know what Queen Victoria would have said about it!!:p :p
Old 08-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

How long has roller skating been around?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Royal Highness

Roller Skating vs Ice Skating

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaggleofcrazypeople
How long has roller skating been around?
I believe since the 19th century. Believe it or not, Ice Skating has been around longer. According to Beverly Smith's Figure Skating: A Celebration, "the world's first figure-skating club had been formed in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1742." (p 15).

I wonder if the Duke of Edinburgh knows of this??:p :p
Old 08-16-2005, 02:27 AM
Nobility

Ivan IV had an ample opportunity to show himself… But Don Carlos and Charles II of Spain certainly deserve a mention. Inbreeding at its worst.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:04 PM
Royal Highness

Since I love this thread and want to keep it going and be read by members, here are some more "Insane" Royals from David Randall:

Ludwig I of Bavaria slept on a mattress made of velvet and filled with the beards and mustaches of his regiments of soldiers.

Khsoru II (591-626) was King of Persia. He lived such a pampered existence that when he went on a trip 1000 slaves watered the roads before him and 200 slaves perfumed them.

Mahomet III (1566-1603) was the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire who made sure there were no rivals for his throne by murdering his 19 brothers the minute he became Sultan. To be doubly sure, he had any of his father's concubines who were pregnant tied in weighted sacks and drowned.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It's my understanding that King Hussein of Jordan's father had mental problems, but I don't know how severe. Queen Noor said it was schizophrenia, I guess it was bad enough that he abdicated for Hussein.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Courtier

Yeah, he had many severe fits that increased with age. You don't hear much about him, at least I haven't, so I wouldn't know what his relationships, if he had any, with Dina and Muna (he died before Noor and Alia) would have been like. I don't imagine that they would have been bad though, by all accounts he was a nice, introverted, intelligent man.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

The personage of Juana The Mad one seems to me to be very interesting. It does little they realized a movie on her. I do not have very clearly if really she was mad or they made it happen for Mad and finished destroying her.
Juana was the heiress of the Wreaths of Castilla and Aragon, was married with Felipe, el Hermoso, and it seems to be that the first interested in whom her wife was losing the power that had was he, an ambitious man who was despising her and cheating her constant. While she was lover of him.
Sometimes I think, that her history is a product of a vision a bit machist of the world.

Carlos II is really the sample of the terrible thing that ends up by being the endogamia.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Royal Highness

I think Juana had the genetics of madness passed to her from her mother Isabella who was the daughter of a "mad mother". The circumstances of Juana's life certainly made things worse, but she had it in her all along.

Translation into Spanish for Lula: Juana recibio "la locura" desde su madre Isabel, quien fue la hija de una madre "loca". Las circunstancias de la vida de Juana la hizo peor de la locura, pero la locura estuvo en ella toda su vida.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Also it is necessary to bear in mind that former there were called mad many people who really it was not, but it was suffering diseases that in these times were not known, and probably many of these "mad" prominent figures today would have another disease diagnosed.
I remember that a teacher told me the history of a queen (I do not remember not of where not of that epoch) that she had been taken for mad in her time; a study of her corpse done for anthropologists had come to the conclusion from that indeed had a cancer, and it was what provoking her problems.

So the one who knows those who were really mad, such and as us we understand it nowadays, and those who were suffering some disorder to reason d etra disease. Mysteries of the history.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Was Carlos truly insane or just horribly deformed? He couldn't close his mouth properly making speech almost impossible.

Juana, I have heard, had symptoms of schizophrenia. She was the older sister of Catherine of Aragon. The two sisters at one time planned a marriage between their children Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, and Princess Mary (later Mary I who married Phillip II, Charles' son)
Old 08-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Courtier

This is an informative online bio on Don Carlos, he was more than deformed lol!

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvenjb/madmona...carlos_bio.htm
Old 08-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Thanks Alicky. I didn't know there were TWO strange Don Carlos' - the one I meant was Carlos II son of Felipe IV - he definitely was deformed and it looks mentally retarded but I don't know if he was insane

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvenjb/madmona...arlos2_bio.htm
Old 08-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Royal Highness

Charles VI of France, "The Glass King of France"

Here is an online bio of one of my favorites, Charles VI of France, who had a cheating wife, thought he was made of glass, and a daughter who married Henry V of France. This marriage brought the taint of insanity temporarily to the Plantagenet line:http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvenjb/madmona...arles6_bio.htm
Old 09-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Royal Highness

Empress Anna of Russia

Well, I have done some more research on "Insane Royals" in the book A Treasury of Royal Scandals by Michael Farquhar.

Here is something new to the thread:

The Empress Anna of Russia (she ruled in her own right) had quite a temper and unique ways of punishing those who displeased her and it was too easy to displease her.

Three nobles who committed a very minor offense were sentenced to live as hens for a week. She had them feathered, commanded them to sit and cluck, and made actual nests for them!!

Prince Michael Alexsyevitch Golitsin was stripped of his title and made to be a court jester when the Empress disapproved of whom he married. When this wife died in 1740, Anna had even more devestating things to do to him. She had him marry "the ugliest woman in Russia", as it was claimed then. The wedding party was filled with "deformed, and freakish human beings to lead a procession of drunkards and other low lifes, all pulled in carriages by goats and pigs. The happy couple followed, in a cage, as the crowds gathered to watch" (Farquhar 39-40). The Empress did not stop at this. She had the newly married couple honeymoon in an actual "ice palace" on the Neva River.

However, the final joke was on Anna. She died nine months later and the new wife delivered twin boys to her husband. The couple actually fell in love with each other and had a happy ending foiling Anna!
Old 09-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Courtier

Queen Victoria

Queen Victoria, I know that she is not insane not really maybe she is.. i am not sure... When Her Husband, Albert died.. She immediately change her way.and some duty or other things . She wore black dress all time until her death.. Is that insane or Obession that lost her hubby because she loved him so much. I just want to know if she was....

Thank you
karla64
Old 09-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla64
Queen Victoria, I know that she is not insane not really maybe she is.. i am not sure... When Her Husband, Albert died.. She immediately change her way.and some duty or other things . She wore black dress all time until her death.. Is that insane or Obession that lost her hubby because she loved him so much. I just want to know if she was....

Thank you
karla64
That is not insane...that is wonderful. It is the sweetest thing ever.:o