The Most Insane Royal In History?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by maty@Jun 25th, 2004 - 6:06 pm
Erzebet Bathory: Insane and sick!!!
I think she's the winner of the whole lot.

I can't believe she got away with slaughtering 600+ young woman(more like little girls) :cry:

She bathed in their blood because she believe the blood of young will keep her beautiful/youthful in appearance.

She had horrid torture devices made... (what she did to those poor girls... was very horrific...). She also had a torture chamber.

At the end... she was never convicted... all she got was house-arrest :angry:

That is pretty insane! I vaguely remember reading something about this, but I don't know the whole story. Anybody willing to share the whole story?

Originally posted by nightfairy@Jun 27th, 2004 - 8:07 am

Erzsébet of Transylvania (±1561-1614)  the countess who bit her servants. ((this is probably Elizabeth Bathory... a very horrid woman of murdered 600+ young woman)
Is there something with Transylvania and blood? Vampires anyone?

how about the swedish royal house where there any insane royals in the past

sara1981 said:
what about Princess Diana? and Sarah,Duchess of York?

Sara Boyce
I think both Diana and Sarah were very unhappy, maybe to the point of being depressed, and in Diana's case maybe maically, but that doesn't make them as being insane... it makes them human... but that's just my opinion.

I think the craziest royal would have been the Countess Elisabeth Bathory of Hungary, do you know about her? for those that dont, she killed virgins and soaked in their blood so that she would look better, she would whip them to death, engage in lesbian orgies and lay some girls on her bed and BITE THEM TO DEATH. Along with other things too gruesome to talk about in this message board

nightfairy said:
I think she's the winner of the whole lot.

I can't believe she got away with slaughtering 600+ young woman(more like little girls) :cry:

She bathed in their blood because she believe the blood of young will keep her beautiful/youthful in appearance.

She had horrid torture devices made... (what she did to those poor girls... was very horrific...). She also had a torture chamber.

At the end... she was never convicted... all she got was house-arrest :angry:
:mad: OMG SO WRONG BAD CRAZY GIRL OMG SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT COOL

In my opinion is Juana (or Joanne?) I of Spain, she traveled by all Spain with the corpse of her husband, Philip I, refusing to bury and pregnant of Infanta Catalina. Later the poor girl live locked with her in Tordesillas. Also Countess Bathory was very crazy, she kill 600 girls only for look young o_O

Australian said:
I think the craziest royal would have been the Countess Elisabeth Bathory of Hungary, do you know about her? for those that dont, she killed virgins and soaked in their blood so that she would look better, she would whip them to death, engage in lesbian orgies and lay some girls on her bed and BITE THEM TO DEATH. Along with other things too gruesome to talk about in this message board

Oh my Lord, that is really horrible!!! She makes Vlad the Impaler look like nothing!!

I love this thread!!!! I read about the countess in a book about the most evil people in history...A witch of something told her that virgins blood would make her look younger.

Harry's polo shirt said:
I love this thread!!!! I read about the countess in a book about the most evil people in history...A witch of something told her that virgins blood would make her look younger.

I started this thread a long time ago and I am trying to revive it. I am glad that you like it!! :) :) I started this thread due to a book I purchased called Royal Misbehaviour: Crazy Kings and Kooky Queens by David Randall. I think I am going to get the book out again and look for some more interesting insane Royals!!:p :p :D

Here is a new one that goes back to medieval Siam:

King Intr'araja of Siam died in 1424 without naming his successor. His courtiers decided to choose the new King from the 2 eldest sons by having them duel to the death on the backs of elephants. The two princes charged at each other, knocked each other off their elephant and died instantly. The third son, Baromaraja became King of Siam by default!!

Last edited:
that's so great you're mentioning Emperor Norton!

His story is by no means over though, because, check this:

The new yet-to-be-built Bay Bridge between San Francisco and neighboring Oakland which is across the San Francisco Bay, will be named after Emperor Norton! I'm not kidding: they decided to do this to honor the man who was the first to lobby for a bridge to be built across the SF Bay!

By the way, his grave is located in the city of Colma, about ten miles from his beloved San francisco!

..forgot to mention two things
first, this is perhaps my favorite thread on the forum here.

And second, how about Romanian Vladimir the Empaler? I know he's considered pretty much to be a hero in Romania for fighting off the Turks. But he's of course also renowned as the inspiration for Bram Stoker's famous Drakula!

Gone but Not Forgotten!!

princess olga said:
that's so great you're mentioning Emperor Norton!

His story is by no means over though, because, check this:

The new yet-to-be-built Bay Bridge between San Francisco and neighboring Oakland which is across the San Francisco Bay, will be named after Emperor Norton! I'm not kidding: they decided to do this to honor the man who was the first to lobby for a bridge to be built across the SF Bay!

By the way, his grave is located in the city of Colma, about ten miles from his beloved San francisco!

That is awesome news Princess Olga!! He has not been forgotten and that is great!

Hmmm, I'll have to agree with other posters, I automatically thought of Juana la Loca, Tiberius, Caligula, Claudius, and Nero. But my number one pick would have to be, probably the worst example of the effects of inbreeding lol, Don Carlos of Spain.

Prince Philip has to be the most insane one.....he has this weird sense of humour where everytime he tries to make a joke about a country...he always offense them!

runaway princess said:
Prince Philip has to be the most insane one.....he has this weird sense of humour where everytime he tries to make a joke about a country...he always offense them!

That is funny, but does not qualify him to be mentally insane. Lacking some mentality at times, yes, but insane no.

didn't know that you meant the mentally insane ones...I thought you meant the outragious ones!

runaway princess said:
didn't know that you meant the mentally insane ones...I thought you meant the outragious ones!
\

That is what I meant, the really mentally insane ones, but hey, Philip resembles one at times as we all do!!!:p :p :p

how about the swedish royal house where there any insane royals in the past

There was Erik XIV (1533-1577). Among other things, he wrote some rather ridiculous love letters to Elizabeth I, trying to get her to marry him.

Ratherread said:
How about Ivan the Terrible. He killed his son in a fit of rage and had whole towns slaughtered. Some of the Ottoman Emperors were rather nuts as well. Ibrahim had his whole harem drowned during a fit of madness.

I read that Ivan the Terrible started out as a magnificent ruler. It was only in his later years that his illness began. He was medicated with heavy doses of Mercury which made him insanelly mad and caused uncontrollable violent outbursts. Imagine his dispear once the medication resolved itself in his system and he realized he had killed his son or others for that matter. It must have been horrible for him and all those around him. I can't remember what the doctors were trying to treat him for... If anyone knows....

I have a documentary of the Czars or Russia. In its account of Ivan the Terrible, they tell a horrible story about this man that leads one to believe completely why he was insane. His entire family was executed and he was kept a virtual prisoner. Hatred and anger burned in his heart. When he became Czar, he brought his revenge upon all who he felt had betrayed him and his family.

For a few years, Ivan was actually calm and sane due to his wife Anastasia Zahkarina Koshkina. Ivan fell in love with her and it was a true love match. However, when Anastasia died in 1560, Ivan went crazy again until after he murdered his own son. Realizing he killed his heir, Ivan was a beaten, broken man and retreated into melancholy and died that way in 1584 at the age of 53.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I would bring this thread back with another amusing story, this time about The Duke of Edinburgh's grandfather:

From David Randall's Royal Misbehaviour: Crazy Kings and Kooky Queens:

George I, King of Greece and roller skating enthusiast. His favoured venue for this activity was the grand ballroom of his Athens palace, where he would thread his way in and out of the ornate pillars with the rest of his family, in order of seniority, following behind! (p 94).

Can you all imagine the sight of this?? I would love to know what Queen Victoria would have said about it!!:p :p

Roller Skating vs Ice Skating

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
How long has roller skating been around?

I believe since the 19th century. Believe it or not, Ice Skating has been around longer. According to Beverly Smith's Figure Skating: A Celebration, "the world's first figure-skating club had been formed in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1742." (p 15).

I wonder if the Duke of Edinburgh knows of this??:p :p :D :confused:

Ivan IV had an ample opportunity to show himself… But Don Carlos and Charles II of Spain certainly deserve a mention. Inbreeding at its worst.

Since I love this thread and want to keep it going and be read by members, here are some more "Insane" Royals from David Randall:

Ludwig I of Bavaria slept on a mattress made of velvet and filled with the beards and mustaches of his regiments of soldiers.

Khsoru II (591-626) was King of Persia. He lived such a pampered existence that when he went on a trip 1000 slaves watered the roads before him and 200 slaves perfumed them.

Mahomet III (1566-1603) was the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire who made sure there were no rivals for his throne by murdering his 19 brothers the minute he became Sultan. To be doubly sure, he had any of his father's concubines who were pregnant tied in weighted sacks and drowned.

It's my understanding that King Hussein of Jordan's father had mental problems, but I don't know how severe. Queen Noor said it was schizophrenia, I guess it was bad enough that he abdicated for Hussein.

Yeah, he had many severe fits that increased with age. You don't hear much about him, at least I haven't, so I wouldn't know what his relationships, if he had any, with Dina and Muna (he died before Noor and Alia) would have been like. I don't imagine that they would have been bad though, by all accounts he was a nice, introverted, intelligent man.

Back
Top Bottom