The Most Insane Royal In History?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by tiaraprin@May 30th, 2004 - 10:50 am
In my book, there is a "royal" who claimed to be the "Emperor of the United States" Now that is funny :lol:
How do you think royalty started? ;)

He was Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico. Actually he was beloved by the people of San Francisco and was received as an Emperor. He corresponded with Queen Victoria multiple times.

Originally posted by Charles+Jun 20th, 2004 - 2:40 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Charles @ Jun 20th, 2004 - 2:40 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tiaraprin@Jun 19th, 2004 - 10:40 pm
I just read the strangest thing about Prince Albert, Consort to Queen Victoria of England.

I was browsing through Cosmopolitan magazine here in the USA, and they were talking about body piercings.  They then explained the origin of the "Prince Albert" when a man pierces his <bleep>.

It said that Albert put a ring there to position his "body part" to either the left or right in the tight breeches that were worn at the time,  :sick: hence the name today.

I fell off the chair laughing--Albert has come down through time as quite a prude.  If he only knew what men today were doing and not for the same reason he supposedly did!!  :lol:  :lol:  :p  :woot:  :shock:

*I hope no one is offended by this post due to its sexual context*  If someone is offended, I apologize.
That's a myth, actually. [/b][/quote]
I figured it pretty much was a myth, but it was so funny, I had to share it with the forum! :lol:

And Alexandra from Bavaria entered rooms sideways?? :lol:

I should send you a copy of this book that made me start this topic!!

Did you know that when Norton's dog died, over 10,000 San Franciscans came to the funeral?????

Yes, the image of Alexandra von Bayern, a princess of one of the oldest dynaties acting in such a bizarre manner is somewhat humourous. At that time, the Wittelsbachs were extremely inbred.

Norton I is one of the more endearing characters... He was a much beloved man, although he was penniless. Fundraisers were held at various times to provide for him and his dog. Norton was truly treated like royalty.

Originally posted by Charles@Jun 21st, 2004 - 5:17 pm
Norton I is one of the more endearing characters... He was a much beloved man, although he was penniless. Fundraisers were held at various times to provide for him and his dog. Norton was truly treated like royalty.
Charles, I am typing this especially for you and I hope you like it ;) :flower:

From the book Royal Misbehavior: Crazy Kings & Kooky Queens by David Randall:

Norton I (1819-1880): The first, last, and only Emperor of the United States. Self-proclaimed he may have been but for some reason the people of San Francisco took a shine to this harmless nutcase and played along with his delusion of imperial majesty. They bowed and scraped, voted him funds and allowed him to lord it over them in his own inimitable way for over 20 years. When he died in 1880, they rounded off the joke by giving him a send-off that would not have disgraced a president. It was a considerable achievement for a man who was not only English but also, until he declared himself royal, nothing more than a failed commodity inspector.

Joshua Abraham Norton, to hive his highness his full name, was born in London in 1819. Almost before he could walk, his family had emigrated to South Africa where his father, a ship's chandler, started a farm and helped found Grahamstown. When Norton Snr. died in 1848, young Joshua sold up and went to Brazil but before a year was out he was on the move again. Gold had been discovered in California and, tempted by the tales of rich pickings, Norton abandoned his South American plans, joined a boatload of fellow opportunists and blew into San Francisco. . . . .

his scheme sounded wonderful in theory. . . all he had to do was buy up every grain of rice he could get his hands on, watch the price soar, wait until the stuff was like gold dust and then sell, ever so slowly, at a vast profit. . . Having bought most of his rice stock at 5 cents a pound and seen its price rise inexorably to 50 cents a pound, the greedy Norton was still refusing to sell in hope of that the price would go even higher when, unknown to him, a fleet of ships docked in the bay. They were laden with rice and within a week the market was swamped and the price was at flat bottom. Norton had failed . . . .

the blow (of the loss) must have affect his brain as well ask his bank balance; for by the time he resurfaced in 1859, Norton had undergone an extraordinary transformation. . . .So, wearing the blue and gold uniform of an army colonel (the best cast-off he could find), he walked into the office of the "San Francisco Bulletin", demanded to see the editor, and when the man appeared, dumbfounded him with the words: "Good Morning, I am the Emperor of the United States." . . .The editor was so delighted with his eccentric visitor that he said he would publish the Emperor's first proclamation to his subjects and, with his tongue firmly in his cheek, he did so in the very next issue. . . (quick to see the joke) as the editor did, the people were pointing Norton out on the street, bowing to him and having wonderful fun addressing him as "Your Imperial Highness." By the time of his second proclamation a week later, the entire city was convulsed. . . .

He assumed the title "Protector of Mexico" deeming the Mexicans clearly incapable of managing their own affairs. . . .

Every morning the threadbare Emperor held court in his royal residence--two lodging-house rooms upon whose dowdy walls hung cheap prints of Queen Victoria and Napoleon. . . .In the late afternoon, accompanied by his two moth-eaten dogs, he made an imperial progress through the streets. . .Each Sunday he made it his practice to worship at a different church lest habitual attendance at any one establishment arouse jealousy among the denominations. . .

When his dog Lazarus died, 10,000 people turned up at the mongrel's funeral, making it the best-attended animal internment on record. . .

(upon being arrested as a common vagrant by an unknowing policeman hurt Norton's feelings), for soon after his arrest, he issued the following proclamation: "Know ye, that we, Norton the First, have diverse complaints to our liege subjects that our imperial wardrobe is a national disgrace." What else could the city do but issue funds for a new uniform??. . . Soon he was levying a tax on the city-20 to 25 cents for shopkeepers and up to $3 for banks. . most paid up with a smile on their face. . . .

So he went on for the duration of his reign. . one wonders if he was really mad or had simply found a way of getting his rice money back at long last. .. Whatever the truth, the San Franciscans gave him the benefit of the doubt and when he died in 1880, it took 2 days for 10,000 people to file past his coffin. . .(on his tombstone) it was chiselled the simple inscription, "Norton I, Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico 1819-1880."

Originally posted by Charles@Jun 21st, 2004 - 6:50 pm
He is one of my favourite odd characters ;)
I'm glad I typed that out for you then! ;) :flower:

I was reading up on the Spanish Habsburgs online today... Carlos the Bewitched is notable... I think he only had 6 great-great-grandparents or something like that.

Of course, he was a total mess, a genetic monster.

Originally posted by Charles@Jun 21st, 2004 - 7:00 pm
Carlos had 8, sorry... At least 6 were Habsburgs.

Another Carlos, son of Felipe II only had 6.

Here's a site with more inbred royals: http://members.aol.com/eurostamm/ahnen.html

Maybe some of them were insane as well?
Gonna go through my book and find out Charles!!!! :p :lol: :flower:

See it you can find Archduchess Maria Antonia of Austria (1669-1692)... Her ancesty looks bad...

Maria Antonia of Austria (1669-1692) 1 2 4 4 6 10 12 20 38 61 102 171

Those are her ancestors at each successive generation... 1 being herself, 2 her parents, 4 her grandparents and so on...

Originally posted by Charles@Jun 21st, 2004 - 7:09 pm
See it you can find Archduchess Maria Antonia of Austria (1669-1692)... Her ancesty looks bad...

Maria Antonia of Austria (1669-1692) 1 2 4 4 6 10 12 20 38 61 102 171

Those are her ancestors at each successive generation... 1 being herself, 2 her parents, 4 her grandparents and so on...
She isn't in the book, I will look elsewhere.

It would be interesting if we could find her ahnentafel... it must be bizarre.

Originally posted by tiaraprin@May 31st, 2004 - 11:53 pm
Sara, it has never been proved that either Diana or Sarah were insane. They had certain emotional problems, but these are far cry from out and out insanity!!
I believe that members of Diana's own family admitted even before her marraige that she was mentally unstable.

How about Ivan the Terrible. He killed his son in a fit of rage and had whole towns slaughtered. Some of the Ottoman Emperors were rather nuts as well. Ibrahim had his whole harem drowned during a fit of madness.

Originally posted by Iain+Jun 22nd, 2004 - 2:42 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Iain @ Jun 22nd, 2004 - 2:42 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tiaraprin@May 31st, 2004 - 11:53 pm
Sara, it has never been proved that either Diana or Sarah were insane.  They had certain emotional problems, but these are  far cry from out and out insanity!!
I believe that members of Diana's own family admitted even before her marraige that she was mentally unstable. [/b][/quote]
That doesn't make her insane.

I read the comments about prince Albert. He sired nine children. I'm not sure how that appliance would have helped him to do it. It also says he was a public prude.

It's good to see the story of Emperor Norton I. San Francisco has had and continues to have a colorful history.

Originally posted by Chatleen@Jun 22nd, 2004 - 4:56 pm
The danish king Christian VII was insane. However in history he is mostly remembered because of his wife and her love affair with the german Struensee.

That is true and King George III had to sent a ship to rescue his sister Queen Caroline Matilda from the hands of her husband.

She died a short time later.

Originally posted by Iain+Jun 22nd, 2004 - 1:42 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Iain @ Jun 22nd, 2004 - 1:42 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tiaraprin@May 31st, 2004 - 11:53 pm
Sara, it has never been proved that either Diana or Sarah were insane.  They had certain emotional problems, but these are  far cry from out and out insanity!!
I believe that members of Diana's own family admitted even before her marraige that she was mentally unstable. [/b][/quote]
Uh, when was that said?? I don't recall that???

Originally posted by Moonlightrhapsody@Jun 21st, 2004 - 11:48 pm
:flower: I know it's way, way, way back, but Caligula has my vote!
Yeah, he is good one, right up there with Nero!!! :p ;) :flower:

I have two:
Caligula: Making his favorite horse minister of his goverment is enough reason for me.
Erzebet Bathory: Insane and sick!!!

Here is an amusing one:

Mutesa I, King of Buganda, and an opportunistic savage. When Christian missionaries told him that his baptism was dependent on him giving up all but one of his 7,000 wives, he replied "Give me Queen Victoria's daughter for my wife and I will put away all my wives."

From David Randall's Royal Misbehavior: Crazy Kings and Kooky Queens

Diana may have been emotionally unstable, but emotional instability is not in the same league as insanity. Insanity is more severe. I do know that some of Diana's family wondered if she would be able to cope with all the pressures of royal life, and some doubted she would be strong enough to deal with it, but I have never read of a member of the Spencer family saying she was "unstable."

From Joan's Mad Monarches Series

Crazy Caesars of Rome

Gaius "Caligula" of Rome (12-31)  the schizophrenic Emperor with the bad temper.
Nero of Rome (37-68)  the Emperor with the mother-complex. 
Domitian of Rome (51-96)  the Emperor who tortured flies.  :lol:
Elagabalus "The Sun-God" of Rome(204-222)  the narcissistic High Priest of Baal.

Deranged Dukes of Italy

Isabella of Parma (1741-1763)  a lovely Princess preoccupied with death.
Gian Gastone de' Medici of Tuskany (1671-1737)  the Grand Duke who refused to leave his bed.

Kinky Kings of Spain <-- wow... she came up with really creative titles!

Juana the Mad of Castile (1479-1555)  the Queen who caressed her husband's remains.  :eek:
Don Carlos of Spain (1545-1568)  the Crown Prince who liked to beat up girls.  :angry:
Carlos II "The Bewitched" of Spain (1661-1700)  the degenerated monstrosity on the throne.
Philip V "El Rey Animoso" of Spain (1683-1746)  the King torn between desire and guilt.
Ferdinand VI of Spain (1713-1759)  the King who brought peace to his people but not to his mind.

Raving Royals of Great Britain

Robert III Stuart of Scotland (1337-1406)  the King who left his son on a tiny, rocky island.  :huh:
"Mad King" George III of Great-Britain (1738-1820),  the King in the strait-jacket.  :lol:

Foolish Fürsts of Germany

Anna of Saxony (1544-1577)  the moody Princess of Orange-Nassau.
Maria Eleonore of Brandenburg (1599-1655)  the Swedish Queen with the post-natal depression.
Frederick William I of Prussia (1688-1740)  the eccentric King who collected tall soldiers. (real live soldiers?)
Ludwig II "The Swan King" of Bavaria (1845-1886)  the recluse who built fairy-tale castles.  :flower:

Erratic Emperors of Austria

Rudolf II of Austria (1552-1612)  the enlightened Emperor with dark moods.
Ferdinand of Austria (1793-1875)  the Emperor who wanted noodles. 

Melancholic Majesties of Portugal

Isabel of Portugal (1428-1496)  the Queen who introduced madness into the Spanish Royal Family.
Barbara of Portugal (1711-1758),  the Spanish Queen who was afraid to die in poverty.
See: Ferdinand VI of Spain.
Maria I of Portugal (1734-1816)  the Queen who thought she was already in hell.

Peculiar Princes and Princesses of The Low Countries

Amalie of Orange-Nassau (1710-1777)  the deranged duchess of Baden-Durlach.
Alexander of the Netherlands (1851-1884)  the Crown Prince, mother's darling and recluse.
Charlotte of Belgium (1840-1927)  the Empress of Mexico with a handkerchief in front of her face.

Vicious Vikings of Scandinavia

Eric XIV Wasa of Sweden (1533-1577)  the paranoid King poisoned with pea soup.
Christian VII of Denmark (1749-1808)  the King who let his doctor care for both his country and his Queen.

Terrible Tsars of Russia

Ivan IV "The Terrible" of Russia (1530-1584)  Tsar, rapist and mass murderer.  :(
Fyodor I "The Bellringer" of Russia (1557-1598)  the feeble-minded Tsar fond of church bells.
Ivan V "The Ignorant" of Russia (1666-1696)  the simple-minded Tsar, ruled by his sister and his wife.
Ivan VI Antonovich of Russia (1740-1764)  the baby Tsar who became a vegetable.  :cry:

Appalling Autocrats of Asia

Sado "The Rice-Box Prince" of Korea (1735-1762)  the Crown Prince with the clothes obsession.

Savage Shahs of Persia

Nadir Shah Afshar of Persia (1688-1747)  the Shah who took the Koh-i Noor diamond.

Silly Sovereigns of France

Charles VI "The Mad" of France (1368-1422)  the kindly King who turned into a murdering madman.  :(
"Princess Chubby" Marie Louise of Orléans (1695-1719)  the notorious Duchess of Berry.

Villain Voivodes of the Balkans

Erzsébet of Transylvania (±1561-1614)  the countess who bit her servants. ((this is probably Elizabeth Bathory... a very horrid woman of murdered 600+ young woman)

Sadistic Sultans of Turkey

"Mad" Mustafa I of Turkey (1591-1639)  the Sultan fetched from the Cage.
Murad IV of Turkey (1612-1640)  the Sultan who hated women.
"Mad" Ibrahim I of Turkey (1615-1648)  the Sultan who drowned his entire harem.

Lunatic Leaders in Antiquity

Nabonidus of Babylon (+539 BC)  the King who ate grass and imagined he was a goat.  :woot: 

Back
Top Bottom