The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2004, 09:11 AM
Aristocracy

Henry the VIIIth? Even if the book doesn't consider him insane, I do.

Old 06-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I AGREE, Carlotta of Mexico was indeed insane after the death of Maximillian.
I believe she went mad before she heard about the death of her husband & when she was still travelling through europe to find help for her husband in Mexico. It was because of her ambitions that he started this scheme in the first place (she didn t want to be no 2 at the austrian court?). Both napoleon III and the P[ope did not know what to begin with her when she visited them. Anyway, it suited her brother Leopold II that Charlotte went mad. He could use her funds to finance his machiavellian plans in the Congo.
PS I read somewhere that Empress Elisabeth of Austria visited Charlotte once during her madness, and brought with her huge dogs, while she knew Charlotte was terrified of them. So maybe Sisi as mad hatter as well?

Old 06-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally posted by Helena@Jun 6th, 2004 - 3:10 pm
Quote:
I AGREE, Carlotta of Mexico was indeed insane after the death of Maximillian.
I believe she went mad before she heard about the death of her husband & when she was still travelling through europe to find help for her husband in Mexico. It was because of her ambitions that he started this scheme in the first place (she didn t want to be no 2 at the austrian court?). Both napoleon III and the P[ope did not know what to begin with her when she visited them. Anyway, it suited her brother Leopold II that Charlotte went mad. He could use her funds to finance his machiavellian plans in the Congo.
PS I read somewhere that Empress Elisabeth of Austria visited Charlotte once during her madness, and brought with her huge dogs, while she knew Charlotte was terrified of them. So maybe Sisi as mad hatter as well?
I read she went mad when she was in Europe and Maximilian was alive. He wanted to leave Mexico to meet her but he didn`t. If he had gone he would have a longer life.
There`s a book about her by Michael of Greece

Old 06-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Royal Highness

What about Crown Prince Dipendra (sp?) of Nepal? He killed 8 (I think it was 8) members of his family. This included his parents , who were the King and Queen and his brother and sister. I don&#39;t remember what his reasoning for this was, does anyone else? Whatever the reasoning is, you must really be crazy to kill your immediate family. I can&#39;t even imagine hating my family enough to kill them. For that matter, I can&#39;t imagine hating anyone enough to want to kill them.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Royal Highness

That is a good addition Gabriella&#33;&#33; I am going to look him up in my book&#33;&#33;&#33;
Old 06-09-2004, 02:20 AM
Royal Highness

Here is an obscure one:

"Alexandra: 19th century Bavarian Princess whose life was complicated by her firm conviction that she had once swallowed a grand piano made of glass. The only excuse for this extraordinary delusion is that madness ran in her family like water down a steep hill." (David Randall).

Wonder if she was distantly related to Charles VI of France who thought he was made of glass and would shatter??
Old 06-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Royal Highness

I just read the strangest thing about Prince Albert, Consort to Queen Victoria of England.

I was browsing through Cosmopolitan magazine here in the USA, and they were talking about body piercings. They then explained the origin of the "Prince Albert" when a man pierces his <bleep>.

It said that Albert put a ring there to position his "body part" to either the left or right in the tight breeches that were worn at the time, hence the name today.

I fell off the chair laughing--Albert has come down through time as quite a prude. If he only knew what men today were doing and not for the same reason he supposedly did&#33;&#33; :P :woot:

*I hope no one is offended by this post due to its sexual context* If someone is offended, I apologize.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@May 30th, 2004 - 2:01 am
Second would be the mad cousin that Queen Elizabeth II has/had?, who it was found out in the late 1980&#39;s was locked up in a mental asylum in England.
Certianly not a royal though...
Old 06-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by tiaraprin@Jun 19th, 2004 - 10:40 pm
I just read the strangest thing about Prince Albert, Consort to Queen Victoria of England.

I was browsing through Cosmopolitan magazine here in the USA, and they were talking about body piercings. They then explained the origin of the "Prince Albert" when a man pierces his <bleep>.

It said that Albert put a ring there to position his "body part" to either the left or right in the tight breeches that were worn at the time, hence the name today.

I fell off the chair laughing--Albert has come down through time as quite a prude. If he only knew what men today were doing and not for the same reason he supposedly did&#33;&#33; :P :woot:

*I hope no one is offended by this post due to its sexual context* If someone is offended, I apologize.
That&#39;s a myth, actually.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by tiaraprin@Jun 9th, 2004 - 2:20 am
Here is an obscure one:

"Alexandra: 19th century Bavarian Princess whose life was complicated by her firm conviction that she had once swallowed a grand piano made of glass. The only excuse for this extraordinary delusion is that madness ran in her family like water down a steep hill." (David Randall).

Wonder if she was distantly related to Charles VI of France who thought he was made of glass and would shatter??
Of course she was related to him.

Alexandra von Bayern was Mad King Ludwig&#39;s aunt. Because she had thought she had swallowed a piano, she delegated herself to walking through doors sideways.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:44 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by tiaraprin@May 30th, 2004 - 10:50 am
In my book, there is a "royal" who claimed to be the "Emperor of the United States" Now that is funny
How do you think royalty started?

He was Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico. Actually he was beloved by the people of San Francisco and was received as an Emperor. He corresponded with Queen Victoria multiple times.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles+Jun 20th, 2004 - 2:40 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Charles @ Jun 20th, 2004 - 2:40 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tiaraprin@Jun 19th, 2004 - 10:40 pm

I was browsing through Cosmopolitan magazine here in the USA, and they were talking about body piercings.&nbsp; They then explained the origin of the "Prince Albert" when a man pierces his <bleep>.

It said that Albert put a ring there to position his "body part" to either the left or right in the tight breeches that were worn at the time,&nbsp; hence the name today.

I fell off the chair laughing--Albert has come down through time as quite a prude.&nbsp; If he only knew what men today were doing and not for the same reason he supposedly did&#33;&#33;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; :P&nbsp; :woot:&nbsp;

*I hope no one is offended by this post due to its sexual context*&nbsp; If someone is offended, I apologize.
That&#39;s a myth, actually. [/b][/quote]
I figured it pretty much was a myth, but it was so funny, I had to share it with the forum&#33;

And Alexandra from Bavaria entered rooms sideways??

I should send you a copy of this book that made me start this topic&#33;&#33;

Did you know that when Norton&#39;s dog died, over 10,000 San Franciscans came to the funeral?????
Old 06-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Gentry

Yes, the image of Alexandra von Bayern, a princess of one of the oldest dynaties acting in such a bizarre manner is somewhat humourous. At that time, the Wittelsbachs were extremely inbred.

Norton I is one of the more endearing characters... He was a much beloved man, although he was penniless. Fundraisers were held at various times to provide for him and his dog. Norton was truly treated like royalty.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles@Jun 21st, 2004 - 5:17 pm
Norton I is one of the more endearing characters... He was a much beloved man, although he was penniless. Fundraisers were held at various times to provide for him and his dog. Norton was truly treated like royalty.
Charles, I am typing this especially for you and I hope you like it :flower:

From the book Royal Misbehavior: Crazy Kings & Kooky Queens by David Randall:

Norton I (1819-1880): The first, last, and only Emperor of the United States. Self-proclaimed he may have been but for some reason the people of San Francisco took a shine to this harmless nutcase and played along with his delusion of imperial majesty. They bowed and scraped, voted him funds and allowed him to lord it over them in his own inimitable way for over 20 years. When he died in 1880, they rounded off the joke by giving him a send-off that would not have disgraced a president. It was a considerable achievement for a man who was not only English but also, until he declared himself royal, nothing more than a failed commodity inspector.

Joshua Abraham Norton, to hive his highness his full name, was born in London in 1819. Almost before he could walk, his family had emigrated to South Africa where his father, a ship&#39;s chandler, started a farm and helped found Grahamstown. When Norton Snr. died in 1848, young Joshua sold up and went to Brazil but before a year was out he was on the move again. Gold had been discovered in California and, tempted by the tales of rich pickings, Norton abandoned his South American plans, joined a boatload of fellow opportunists and blew into San Francisco. . . . .

his scheme sounded wonderful in theory. . . all he had to do was buy up every grain of rice he could get his hands on, watch the price soar, wait until the stuff was like gold dust and then sell, ever so slowly, at a vast profit. . . Having bought most of his rice stock at 5 cents a pound and seen its price rise inexorably to 50 cents a pound, the greedy Norton was still refusing to sell in hope of that the price would go even higher when, unknown to him, a fleet of ships docked in the bay. They were laden with rice and within a week the market was swamped and the price was at flat bottom. Norton had failed . . . .

the blow (of the loss) must have affect his brain as well ask his bank balance; for by the time he resurfaced in 1859, Norton had undergone an extraordinary transformation. . . .So, wearing the blue and gold uniform of an army colonel (the best cast-off he could find), he walked into the office of the "San Francisco Bulletin", demanded to see the editor, and when the man appeared, dumbfounded him with the words: "Good Morning, I am the Emperor of the United States." . . .The editor was so delighted with his eccentric visitor that he said he would publish the Emperor&#39;s first proclamation to his subjects and, with his tongue firmly in his cheek, he did so in the very next issue. . . (quick to see the joke) as the editor did, the people were pointing Norton out on the street, bowing to him and having wonderful fun addressing him as "Your Imperial Highness." By the time of his second proclamation a week later, the entire city was convulsed. . . .

He assumed the title "Protector of Mexico" deeming the Mexicans clearly incapable of managing their own affairs. . . .

Every morning the threadbare Emperor held court in his royal residence--two lodging-house rooms upon whose dowdy walls hung cheap prints of Queen Victoria and Napoleon. . . .In the late afternoon, accompanied by his two moth-eaten dogs, he made an imperial progress through the streets. . .Each Sunday he made it his practice to worship at a different church lest habitual attendance at any one establishment arouse jealousy among the denominations. . .

When his dog Lazarus died, 10,000 people turned up at the mongrel&#39;s funeral, making it the best-attended animal internment on record. . .

(upon being arrested as a common vagrant by an unknowing policeman hurt Norton&#39;s feelings), for soon after his arrest, he issued the following proclamation: "Know ye, that we, Norton the First, have diverse complaints to our liege subjects that our imperial wardrobe is a national disgrace." What else could the city do but issue funds for a new uniform??. . . Soon he was levying a tax on the city-20 to 25 cents for shopkeepers and up to &#036;3 for banks. . most paid up with a smile on their face. . . .

So he went on for the duration of his reign. . one wonders if he was really mad or had simply found a way of getting his rice money back at long last. .. Whatever the truth, the San Franciscans gave him the benefit of the doubt and when he died in 1880, it took 2 days for 10,000 people to file past his coffin. . .(on his tombstone) it was chiselled the simple inscription, "Norton I, Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico 1819-1880."
Old 06-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Gentry

He is one of my favourite odd characters
Old 06-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles@Jun 21st, 2004 - 6:50 pm
He is one of my favourite odd characters
I&#39;m glad I typed that out for you then&#33; :flower:
Old 06-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Gentry

I was reading up on the Spanish Habsburgs online today... Carlos the Bewitched is notable... I think he only had 6 great-great-grandparents or something like that.

Of course, he was a total mess, a genetic monster.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Gentry

Carlos had 8, sorry... At least 6 were Habsburgs.

Another Carlos, son of Felipe II only had 6.

Here&#39;s a site with more inbred royals: http://members.aol.com/eurostamm/ahnen.html

Maybe some of them were insane as well?
Old 06-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles@Jun 21st, 2004 - 7:00 pm
Carlos had 8, sorry... At least 6 were Habsburgs.

Another Carlos, son of Felipe II only had 6.

Here&#39;s a site with more inbred royals: http://members.aol.com/eurostamm/ahnen.html

Maybe some of them were insane as well?
Gonna go through my book and find out Charles&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :P :flower:
Old 06-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Gentry

See it you can find Archduchess Maria Antonia of Austria (1669-1692)... Her ancesty looks bad...

Maria Antonia of Austria (1669-1692) 1 2 4 4 6 10 12 20 38 61 102 171

Those are her ancestors at each successive generation... 1 being herself, 2 her parents, 4 her grandparents and so on...