Royal Cyphers, Coronets, Arms and Monograms

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
monogramm witn the Order of the Elephant

Hallo!
There ia a rifle made most probably in Germany about 1660-1720, which stock is inlaid with monogramm (sorry, it was damaged). Beneath this monogramm is a badge of Danish order of the Elephant, I suppose, and above - the king's (?) crown. Who can it be? I tried to compare it with monogramms of danish kings of XVII-XVIII c., but this one looks too complicate. Here are a photo and a drawing of a monogramm

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 00000064.jpg
    00000064.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 172
  • ??????????? 151.jpg
    ??????????? 151.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 187
Hi all -

Would anyone happen to know who this monogram / cypher might belong to?
Only backrgound i have, is that it came off the butt of an 1808 military musket.

Attachments

• 15259177_10155546178264937_2301292260372697521_o 3).jpg
    15259177_10155546178264937_2301292260372697521_o 3).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 149
Hi all -

Only backrgound i have, is that it came off the butt of an 1808 military musket.

Alexandra, Princess of Wales (Queen Alexandra)?

Hi all -

It might be Prince Ernest Augustus, son of George III. Was created Duke of Cumberland. The date seems to fit.

"In early 1803,Ernest was appointed commander of the Severn District, in charge of the forces in and around the Severn Estuary. When war with France broke out again after the Peace of Amiens, the elder Duke appointed Ernest to the more important Southwest District, comprising Hampshire, Dorset and Wiltshire." Source: Wiki

He later became King of Hanover

Last edited:
That could be it. This one looks incredbly close to that
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...gram_of_Prince_Ernest_Augustus_of_Hanover.svg

It might be Prince Ernest Augustus, son of George III. Was created Duke of Cumberland. The date seems to fit.

"In early 1803,Ernest was appointed commander of the Severn District, in charge of the forces in and around the Severn Estuary. When war with France broke out again after the Peace of Amiens, the elder Duke appointed Ernest to the more important Southwest District, comprising Hampshire, Dorset and Wiltshire." Source: Wiki

He later became King of Hanover

Last edited by a moderator:
That monogram looks incredbly similar. definately think that could be it.
Going to speak to people at the museum and see if they think this matches the guns history.
Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is the correct cypher for King Charles II of England

Hello

My name is Ray Attwood and I live in Surrey, UK. I am a trying to find out which is the correct cypher to use on a rope drum for an event in which I will be taking part in June 2017.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Ray

In case you don't get the correct answer here why not try the College of Arms in London? They know all about arms, heraldry, cyphers etc.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your very quick replies I will follow up with the links and advice, and let you know how I get on.

Regards
Ray

Dual cypher or monogram FR3

Hi I'm new on this site and have a monogram or a dual cypher to discipher. Anyone whom can help? This would be great help. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20170502_124205.jpg
    20170502_124205.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 127
Your crown and cypher

Natski

This is for King James II of England. I have a .pdf available to send to you but I don't know how to attach it to my forum reply.

Can anyone help me out with this technicality, or does this forum have a facility to allow Natski to send me a private email address to which I can reply with an ordinary email and the .pdf as an attachment ?

Regards
Ray

At the top of your page on the right hand side, look under where it says "Welcome 1st Regt of FG" and underneath that you see the words Private Messages. Click on that and it will take you to the area of the website where you can send private messages. :D

cypher identification

I'd love some help identifying this monogram I found on some antique lingerie, does anybody have any ideas? I assume this is a coronet and therefore a lesser royal? Thanks

Attachments

• 1493805281417-748433059.jpg
    1493805281417-748433059.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 1493805340071-2138031322.jpg
    1493805340071-2138031322.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 133
I'd love some help identifying this monogram I found on some antique lingerie, does anybody have any ideas? I assume this is a coronet and therefore a lesser royal? Thanks

The coronet is the rank of a Viscount. Therefore the monogram belongs to a peer or peeress and not a Royal personage.

I hope this is helpful. Sorry I don't know which Viscountcy it belongs to.

Hello all,
I have been wondering if the Markle family would be given a Coat of Arms? I recall that Mr. Middleton was granted a coat of arms prior to Kate's marriage and then her Coat of Arms was derived from his. I did read that he had to request it, though. Family Coats of Arms are not a tradition in America and since Mr. Markle is not a British subject I don't know if he would be eligible. Perhaps they might be granted one through their Irish heritage? It would be interesting to see what design elements they would use to represent California/L.A./the US.

Seeing that both of Meghan's parents are American, its highly unlikely that they would be granted a British coat of arms. Its just not feasible from my understanding of how things work.

As a member of the BRF Meghan will have to have a coat of arms, which is quartered with her husband's . Everyone does. Queen Letizia of Spain and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark were foreigners who had coats of arms granted to them. Sophie Wessex has a cost of arms I believe and Sarah of York certainly did.

She might have American or Californian symbols on it, or the classic drama mask, something like that.

Would Meghan's family then be able to use that coat of arms? I kind of figured Meghan would have one but didn't think it would then be able to be used by her family.

Getting ready to check off my "learn something new everyday" box. :D

It depends on who applies and who in the family it is granted to, I would guess. Didn't Sarah York have her own, with a bee in it as a symbol? Can't remember now, off to check!

Later: She did have a bee, but it was on her father's coat of arms first!

Last edited:
Found it. :D

Grants of honorary arms to American citizens

American citizens may be granted honorary arms. They must meet the same criteria for eligibility as subjects of the Crown, and in addition must record in the official registers of the College of Arms a pedigree showing their descent from a subject of the British Crown. This may be someone living in the north American colonies before the recognition of American independence in 1783, or a more recent migrant.

My Arms - Am I entitled to a coat of Arms?

Would Meghan's family then be able to use that coat of arms? I kind of figured Meghan would have one but didn't think it would then be able to be used by her family.

Getting ready to check off my "learn something new everyday" box. :D

Well, there is "being able to use" and then there is "having a right to use." It's not as if there are US police for this who knock on your door if you have a needlepoint a pillow with an unofficial Coat of Arms on it. I doubt if the local mass market printing store bothers to check for rights when they do a print job with a coat of arms on it.

And here in the US, the vast majority of people have no idea that there is a process to get a Coat of Arms. We are the land of Lord Disick, for heavens sake! :eek:

Small anecdote on the pitfalls and misunderstandings about Titles/Heraldry amongst 'non-natives' -

When I worked for the Private Bank Division of Citibank London, I had an American client who purchased a House which came with 'Manorial Rights' attached. He INSISTED on being called [in correspondence, and in person] Lord X.
I pointed out that he was NOT a Peer of the Realm, and being 'Lord of the Manor of X', carried NO rights to be Titled, or addressed as if he were...
He'd write to me as 'Lord X', and i'd respond to 'Mr X'... It drove him NUTS, but was 'the correct form' of address...

Last edited:
Small anecdote on the pitfalls and misunderstandings about Titles/Heraldry amongst 'non-natives' -

When I worked for the Private Bank Division of Citibank London, I had an American client who purchased a House which came with 'Manorial Rights' attached. He INSISTED on being called [in correspondence, and in person] Lord X.
I pointed out that he was NOT a Peer of the Realm, and being 'Lord of the Manor of X', carried NO rights to be Titled, or addressed as if he were...
He'd write to me as 'Lord X', and i'd respond to 'Mr X' It drove him NUTS, but was 'the correct form' of address...

Thanks - this made my morning and good for you!

Yes, I believe David Matthews, Pippa's father in law, has a worthless lairdship attached to his Highland estate, which he never uses.

However, if Meghan becomes a member of the BRF she would have to have her own coat of arms. They all have them. So either Garter Herald is going to have to write to Mr Markle in Mexico suggesting he apply as of day of engagement, or else, in the name of gender equality they might grant Meghan her own without her father's involvement. Don't know how that would be done though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom