The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royalty Past, Present, and Future

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Nobility

Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg, her consort Prince Felix and their six children went to Paris in 1940. They also lived in Lisbon, London, New York and Montreal. Grand Duchess Charlotte and her supporters formed a Government in Exile. In 1944, Prince Felix and Crown Prince Jean entered Luxembourg with U.S. troops to free the country. in 1945, Grand Duchess Charlotte returned to Luxembourg.

Old 06-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Majesty

very intresting thread
what did the swedish royals do?

Old 06-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

The book "Born To Rule," which follows the lives of the five granddaughters of Queen Victoria who became Queens Consort, talks quite a lot about the Greek, Romanian, Russian, Norwegian, and Spanish royal families during World War 1.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...768705-9128805
Old 06-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The book "Born To Rule," which follows the lives of the five granddaughters of Queen Victoria who became Queens Consort, talks quite a lot about the Greek, Romanian, Russian, Norwegian, and Spanish royal families during World War 1.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...768705-9128805
All the Queens mentioned in that book personally sided with the Allies because of their English influences. Norway and Spain remained neutral during the war. Queen Ena of Spain had a hard time in the palace because her mother-in-law Maria Cristina, born an Austrian Archduchess, supported the Central powers. Greece remained officially neutral but was continuously being pushed to pick sides. Marie of Romania, and Tsarina Alexandra of Russia all became nurses and devoted long hours helping the wounded. While Marie was revered for her work, Alexandra's hard work and good will went largely unnoticed. Both born German princesses (Sophie was Kaiser Wilhem's sister), Sophie and Alexandra were detested in their adopted countries. Both were accused of being German spies. Sophie was rumored of encouraging pro-German sentiment (largely started by the French who were angry at Greece not siding with the Allies) though this is far from the truth, as Sophie (like most people) detested Wilhem, and Wilhem had disowned her upon her marriage and conversion to Othodoxy.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Crowns in Conflict

Another excellent book on this topic is "Crowns in Conflict", The Triumph and Tragedy of European Monarchy 1910-1918, by Theo Aronson, 1986, John Murray (Publishers) Ltd. The book covers the whole sweep of the European Royal Houses during World War I.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:39 AM
Heir Apparent

interesting thread! I doubt Monaco had much to do with the war, but does anyone know if the war affected Monaco and the royal family? did monaco lend a hand to France or anything?
Old 08-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Commoner

i am quite interested with this thread too. wwI was the war that really shook the foundations of monarchy. although, i am not familiar with the war itself. i, do know, that the German and Russian Imperial Houses went down. When the Russian Imperial Family fell, all the royals houses throughout europe was really nervous. Czarist Russia was said to be the strongest seat of monarchy throughout europe.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:38 AM
Aristocracy

WW1 & Greece

With regards to the Greek Royals they spent most of the First World War in excile. King Constantine I wanted to keep greece neutral, however he was hounded by both sides because of the strategic position of Greece geographicaly.

It is debatable as to whose side the King was on personaly. He had trained in the Prussian Army and of course married the Keisers sister and during the war he seeked aid from Germany which many beleive prooves his german feelings. However this was after he resigned his honoury rank in the German army early on in the war and after failing to woe him from Neutrality, the Allies had cut of supplies to Greece themeselves.

However the British and Allies were determined to have Greece with them so as to have controle in the south Balkands (gateway to south German/Austrian controled areas) and the Agean Sea (gateway to Istanbul and pro-german Turkey). British Warships therefore shelled (bombed) Athens, cut off supplies and supported former Prime Minister Venizelos to establish a revolutionary government which succeeded in forcing Constantine out of the country (people surrounded the palace and so upset that the King should leave a riot broke out suggesting they would rather kill him than have him forced out) and replacing his second son Alexander as a puppet King in name only (who was kept in House-Arrest).

Thus the Greek's didnt do very much at all and just watched helpless as their country was gutted ecanomicaly and politicaly by the Allies... but perhaps the ends justify the means???
Old 08-04-2005, 05:06 AM
Aristocracy

WW1 & The UK

As if resisting the ever growing German frontire was not enough for British Politics, the years of WW1 also witnessed Womens Rights movements and Communist sympathies.

If anyone has the opertunity, a recent BBC drama "The Lost Prince" (available on DVD) depicted life for the British Royal Family during the turblent years of WW1 through the eyes of King George V's youngest son John (who was epileptic) is well worth watching.

The BRF helped with the war effort as best they could. To save on fuel for example, heating at the palaces was turned off (Prime Minister Lloyd-George commented how uncomfertable meetings at Buckingham Palace were) and the lavish state banquets were replaced with rashions and home grown food from Sandringham and Windsor estates.

King George V had to make the often criticised decission of not saving his cousin and close friend the Russian Tsar from the Communist uprising due to fear of fueling communist sentiment in the UK.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Another excellent book on this topic is "Crowns in Conflict", The Triumph and Tragedy of European Monarchy 1910-1918, by Theo Aronson, 1986, John Murray (Publishers) Ltd. The book covers the whole sweep of the European Royal Houses during World War I.
I would be interested to read this - I've read some of Theo Aronson's other books and really enjoyed them. One book I also want to read is "Royal Sunset: the Dynasties of Europe and the Great War" by Gordon Brook-Shepherd. :)
Old 08-15-2005, 11:30 PM
Commoner

it must be so sad to be unable to save your cousin because of your position. i think that's what makes them "royal": duty first, before family. sad but there's something very regal about it.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

scots honoured for rescue mission

Donald Edwards will be one of four men receiving the medal

Scottish war veterans who helped rescue the King of Norway in a dangerous wartime mission are to be honoured for their bravery.

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Rescue mission Scots are honoured

On Sunday, four Scots who served on the HMS Glasgow in 1940 were awarded one of Norway's highest military honours at a ceremony in Edinburgh.
The men took part in a daring secret mission to rescue the Norwegian royal family and government.

Donald Edwards was just 16 when he took part in the mission to rescue King Haakon the Seventh, Crown Prince Olav, government ministers, civil servants and some foreign diplomats at Molde. The men were in hiding and in danger of being stranded as German forces advanced.

"It was pitch black, the whole place was on fire and everything was done at 100% speed," Mr Edwards said. "It wasn't until later we realised what we'd done - that we'd rescued a king and a prince, actually took them away under the noses of the Germans."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikkiB
Since it is 60 years since the end of WW2, and there is an discussion on the 60th anniversary-tread, I thought it would be interesting to know what the European monarchs did to help its people. And what did the rest of the royal family do during the war?

So I start by writing down what I know that King Haakon of Norway did during the war;
The King and CP Olav and some of the ministers had a rather action-filled run from the Nazis. After the King had refused to accept the Nazi government led by Quisling, they had to escape because the Germans had sent troops to catch them. They just barely avoided being captured, and managed to get on board a ship to London. The King arrived in London 7. June 1940 and worked with the Exile government who had been established in London in May 1940. From London The King and CP Olav led the resistance, and the King gave speaches on the radio to keep ut the spirit of the Norwegian people. These speaches became very important to the Norwegians.

CP Mrtha and the children (Princess Astrid, Princess Ragnhild and Prince Harald) tried to escape to Sweden, but was refused entry. They were evacuated to the USA, and stayed there the entire war. They visited Norwegian training camps for pilots and soldiers in Canada to boost morale. They also became friends with president Roosevelt and his wife.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Nobility

The escape of Haakon VII was indeed a remarkable event. He sailed to the UK in HMS Devonshire, which was the only ship to receive a distress signal from the aircraft carrier Glorious--she had met two German battleships. The Devonshire had to observe radio silence--the British could not take the risk of losing the King.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Nobility

was denmark occupied by the germans during the war?
Old 06-27-2006, 03:25 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by foiegrass
was denmark occupied by the germans during the war?
Yes, from april 1940 to may 1945.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
Yes, from april 1940 to may 1945.
Sadly enough..Louise have you ever seen the serie callede Matador her in Denmark?
Its a serie about a city an its life in it her in Denmark from 1929 to 1947 and it interesting to learn how they was struggling tru the war.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Gentry

Interesting info

:) Thank You everyone for sharing all this information. Having been born in the 60's, stories of WWII were always fresh in my relatives minds. Some of these stories of the European Royal families always make for great discussion. Being of European descent and living in Canada as a Canadian makes me very proud to hear about what our society did for the love of tradition and family and cultural customs.
Cheers,
MM
Old 06-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia
Scottish war veterans who helped rescue the King of Norway in a dangerous wartime mission are to be honoured for their bravery. Lt Colonel Jan Magnus Brekkhus, of HM The King's Guard of Norway, said: "It's very important for Norway to pay tribute to those men who made such a tremendous effort to help us at a difficult time."
Quite honestly to me it is surprising and almost contradictory, that they would take 60 years until they finally honour these men (and others in other circumstances) if it was indeed so important to them.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:55 AM
Courtier

Greek Royals and WWII

When Italy proclaimed war to Greece, the King didn't even know it until the morning. The Italian ambassandor went to the Prime Minister's house really early in the Morning, and gave him a telegraph which stated taht , unless Greece surrendered to Italy within 3 hours, war would be proclaimed. Prime Minister Metaxas couldn't reach the Government and the King , so he acted alone declaring that Greece would not surrender. As a result, the royal family learned about the war the next morning when sirines started because the Italian airplanes were flying over Athens.

The whole family started concentreting then to Greece. Crown Prince Paul and Frederika with Sofia and baby Constantine moved to the centre of Athens and stayed with King George and Princess Catherine( Paul and George's sister) in the King's palace. Their niece, Alexandra with their mother Aspasia Manos were living in Venice and were forced the day war was proclaimed to evacuate their home taking only a luggage each and they travelled through Yugoslavia to Athens on the train that was appointed to exchange Greeks form Italy and Italians form Greece to Yugoslavia. Princess Elena and Princess Alice also left their suburban villas and moved to the centre when the bombing began. The last ones to arrive in Athens were Prince George and his wife Marie Bonaparte from Paris and Prince Philip who came to stay with the family a few days before going to serve in the British Royal Navy.Only two members of the family didn't try to join t the rest, Prince Andrew who was living in Monte Carlo and Prince Peter (George and Marie's son ) who stayed in Paris. When bombs started falling, they had to move to Prince George's palace, bacause it was thought to be a safer building.

The day the Germans reached Lamia, the whole family left for Crete, first the women and then the men,and from then they went to Egypt and to South Africa. Paul, Frederica, the children , Marie , George and Catherine settled there and they were joined by Princess Eugenie ( George and Marie's daughter) and her family. Aspasia and Alexandra went to London and King George spent half his time in London and the other half in South Africa. Only two Greek Royals stayed in Greece: Princess Alice , who would not leave and Princess Elena who tried to go and meet her daughter Marina in London but couldn't . They moved in together at Prince George's house.

A quite funny anecdote concerning the first days of war: Mussolini had already bombed Patra , resulting to many deaths and was threatening to bomb Thesaloniki the next day . Thesaloniki didn't have many shelters and the King was over worried, organising stuff etc. Then a telephone arrived from their Embassy in Yugoslavia, and the man on the phone told to King George" Sir , I am to pass you a message from Princess Olga . She informs you that you should not worry about Thesaloniki today." " And how comes cousin Olga exactly knows it?" "Well, Sir, she told me right now to tell you that these imbeciles in the Airforce mixed the cities and bombarded Monastir instead" It seems it is after all useful to have relatives married into other Houses.....
Old 03-11-2010, 02:28 AM
Nobility

HRH Prince Henry Duke Of Gloucester was Governor-General of Australia for the last year of WWII ( term being 1945-1947). He also was the only Royal Governor-General in the Commonwealth of Australia's history.