Unexpected Monarchs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auntie

Royal Highness
City
Middlesex
Country
United Kingdom
Lets start a thread of King and\or Queens who got to this position unexpectadly and the reason why.

King George VI and his wife Elizabeth became monarch as a result of his brothers abdication.

King George V as a result of his brother death.

Any more further back in history?:D

King Henry VIII after his brothers death became the Prince of Wales and went on to being a king

Haakon VII of Norway - born 3rd (father and brother before him) in line to the Danish throne, elected by the Norwegian people to be their King.

Almost everyone of the Russian monarchs of the 18th Century; the then-existing law on succession allowed monarch to appoint anyone he liked as a successor.

Emperor Nicholas I of Russia--his elder brother abjured the throne.

Emperor Alexander III of Russia--his elder brother died young.

King William IV of the United Kingdom--the death of his niece Charlotte Augusta, the only daughter of future George IV, in 1817 made the prospect of his succession very likely.

King Alebert II of the Belgians, became king after his brother, King Baudouin I, died. Most believed the king would renounce his rights in favour of his eldest son.

Current King Abdullah of Jordan, his father changed the succession at the last minute- switching from his brother to his son.

In our Polish history we had many (if almost not all) unexpected monarchs, especially since XVIth century when we have free election (f.ex. Henri de Valois - Henryk III King of Poland and France, Michał Korybut Wiśniowiecki).

Before him was St.Jadwiga (Hedviga) d'Anjou - King of Poland, daughter Louis I - King of Hungry and Poland. Her elder sister Maria was first choose for Polish ruler but she married Sigismond de Luxembourg emperor Rom.-Germ.

In Russia - don't forget about Catherina II the Great.

Queen Margrethe II - Succession law was finally changed in 1953 to allow her to take the throne. (LUCKY for Denmark!!!)
If the laws hadn't been changed, Prince Knud and his family of inbreeds(not an insult but just a pure fact) would have had the throne and most people agree that the monarchy would be gone if that had happened.

There are many in British History:

Mary and Elizabeth Tudor: Both bastardized but later restored to the succession but not their legitimacy, these two women went on to be the first female monarchs universally recognized in their own right by most royals. Matilda, daughter of Henry I, was technically the first Queen Regnant, but the loyal barons turned their back on her for a male heir, her cousin Stephen.

Charles II was exiled for many years until his restoration came in 1660. He despaired of ever returning to England and becoming King.

Mary II and Anne I. These Stuart sisters reigned after their half brother was declared a changeling snuck in by a warming pan.

George I. The succession passed to the Hanoverians after the Stuart line died with Queen Anne to insure a Protestant monarch.

Richard II. His father, the Black Prince, and his elder brother both died leading the way to his becoming King and to the beginning of the War of the Roses.

John I. With so many brothers ahead of him, he never saw the crown coming to him. He was known by John Lackland, because his father didn't have an inheritance for him. One by one, his father and brothers died leaving him as the only son remaining of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine.

Charles I. His elder brother Henry died paving his way to the crown. What may have been if his brother had lived?? There may never have been a Commonwealth under Cromwell.

Queen Victoria. Many uncles and the possibility of their offspring stood between Victoria and the crown. These uncles passed away leaving no legitimate issue.

Don't forget about Jane Grey - Queen of nine days (10 VII - 19 VII 1553).

prince Vilhelm of denmark (later Georgios 1 of the Hellenes)

tiaraprin said:
Mary II and Anne I. These Stuart sisters reigned after their half brother was declared a changeling snuck in by a warming pan.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does that mean?

The Infamous Warming Pan Story and the Glorious Revolution of 1688

tiaraprin said:
SpiffyBallerina said:
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what does that mean?
Mary and Anne were the daughters of James II of England by his first wife Anne Hyde. James became a Catholic and the people of England despaired his becoming King because his elder brother, Charles II, could not have a legitimate child with his Queen, Catherine of Braganza.
Anne Hyde died and James married an extremely pious Catholic princess, Mary of Modena. If James had a son, Mary and Anne, both raised Protestant by the order of Charles II, would lose their place in the succession behind the son.

Mary of Modena had many miscarriages and still births. In 1688, she became pregnant once again and all of England held its collective breath. James was now King and wanted to bring England back to the Catholic fold. The Protestant majority was desperate to prevent Catholicism from coming back as the primary religion of England. If James had a son, he would raise that son Catholic.

Whispers and rumors began to circulate that the Queen was not pregnant. It was whispered that the Queen was padding her dresses and allowed no one to see her undress among her ladies in waiting. Anne, daughter of James, was a great promoted of these rumors. Mary, his eldest daughter, was being sounded out to come back and depose her father and reign with her husband, William of Orange.

James' Queen was delivered of a son and all of England became alarmed. They needed to find a way to make the baby illegitimate. A story was circulated that the Queen either faked labor or was delivered of a still born child. The story continued that James had a baby smuggled into the Queen's birthing chamber in a warming pan, a device used to warm beds before people went to sleep. It was a ridiculous assertion, a warming pan is not big enough to smuggle a baby in. However, England seized the rumor as a reason to overthrow James and bring his eldest daughter Mary and her husband to come and be Co-Monarchs. James, being outnumbered, fled with his wife and son to France where he died. Mary and William became King and Queen. The Protestant succession was restored. This event is known as the Glorious Revolution of 1688.

Mary and William had no children, so the crown passed to Anne. All of Anne's children did not survive. In 1714, Anne died, thus ending the Stuart dynasty and bringing over the Hanoverians.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Liliuokalani of Hawaii. Her brother died childless.

Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands. She had three step brothers who all died before their father.

Prince Franz Joseph of Liechtenstien. His uncle died childless.

King Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia. His uncle died childless. Then there was his father King Norodom Suramarit. He became King when Norodom Sihanouk abdicated in 1955. On the death of Norodon Suramarit, Norodom Sihanouk succeeded him. (Complicated one this!)

Queen Margarethe of Denmark. The people voted to change the law to allow a female to take the throne.

Last edited:
Tsar Alexander III (Nicholas II' father) became Tsarevich after his older brother Nicholas died of meningitis at age 21. (Alexander also married his dead brother's fiancee Dagmar, who became better known as Marie).

King Juan Carlos of Spain became "heir" after his older brother was accidentally killed in a shooting accident. (I put the heir in quotes due to the circumstances of JC being groomed for the position of King by Franco).

Very fascinating to see all the twists and turns that history has taken over the years!:)

Jackswife said:
King Juan Carlos of Spain became "heir" after his older brother was accidentally killed in a shooting accident.

I thought it was his younger brother.

Jackswife said:
Tsar Alexander III (Nicholas II' father) became Tsarevich after his older brother Nicholas died of meningitis at age 21. (Alexander also married his dead brother's fiancee Dagmar, who became better known as Marie).

King Juan Carlos of Spain became "heir" after his older brother was accidentally killed in a shooting accident. (I put the heir in quotes due to the circumstances of JC being groomed for the position of King by Franco).

Very fascinating to see all the twists and turns that history has taken over the years!:)

Actually Infanta Pilar is the oldest of Juan Carlos' siblings, she was born in 1936, Juan Carlos was born in 1938, Margarita in 1939 and Alfonso in 1941 (making him younger than Juan Carlos). Juan Carlos was chosen by Franco to succeed him bypassing Juan Carlos's father.

Is Prince Rainier of Monaco considered as an unexpected monarch?.I've heard that his maternal grandfather, Prince Louis abdicated and Rainier's mother, Princess Charlotte was the supposed heiress but the Princess wanted his son to directly inherit the throne, so she passed it to Prince Rainier,and Ranier became the sovereign after Prince Louis, his grandfather..

Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg- her sister GD Marie Adelaide was forced to abdicate.

Jackswife said:

Nicholas I became Tsar after the early demise of his brother, Alexander I. (However, some claim that Alexander I didn't die, but that he lived the rest of his life as a holy man or a monk).

Gynandera of Nepal -- twice. As a very young child he was placed on the throne by the Hereditary Rana Prime Ministerial family, when his grandfather and rest of the RF took refuge at the Indian Embassy in order to shak-off Rana rule. He then again became King after the murder of his brother King Birendra and death of Crown Prince Dipendra a few days later back in 2001. (In a nutshell, Dipendra was the assasin of the his father,the King , as well as his mother, siblings, and other members of the Nepalese Royal family. He died a few days later from injuries resulting from a botched suicide attempt).

(and other members of the RF) at the Narayanhiti Palace in 2001 by (the then) Crown Prince Dipendra.

King Louis XV of France certainly deserves a mention. His grandfather, the Grand Dauphin, his father, the Duke of Burgundy and his elder brother, the Duke of Brittany all died in less than a year, between April 1711 and March 1712, leaving two-year-old Louis heir to the throne of his great-grandfather.

I would love to see an interview with King Albert, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Margarthe, Queen Beatrix and King Juan Carlos about how they felt when they realized that they would be the monarch (I put Queen Beatrix on the list since there was always the chance she would be displaced by a younger brother)

Sean.~ said:
Nicholas I became Tsar after the early demise of his brother, Alexander I. (However, some claim that Alexander I didn't die, but that he lived the rest of his life as a holy man or a monk).
To be precise, Nicholas I became Emperor when his brother Constantine renounced his succession. Constantine was proclaimed Emperor after the death of Alexander I, but he did not accept the emperorship. Constantine had renounced his rights in an instrument that was submitted to Alexander I circa 1820 in complete secrecy, and most of the statesmen and nobles had little or no idea of its existence. The 'constitutionality' (Russia had no constitution, of course) of Constantine's refusal was questioned by several ministers, and he was duly proclaimed Emperor. The vast empire started to swear allegiance to the new Tsar. The Imperial Mint even began to coin money with the portrait of Constantine I.

Nicholas wrote to 'His Imperial Majesty' in Warsaw (Constantine served as viceroy of Poland), asking him to come at once and take the throne. Constantine wrote back, to 'His Imperial Majesty' in St Petersburg, begging Nicholas to ascend the throne in question. :)

After several rounds of letters Nicholas acceded the throne--as soon as he did he had the December Uprising of 1825 on his hands.

Can QElizabeth II decide to skip a generation and give the throne to William?Or does the Parliament decide or have to agree? Can the Parliament coerce a monarch who to leave the throne to?

auntie said:
Can QElizabeth II decide to skip a generation and give the throne to William?Or does the Parliament decide or have to agree? Can the Parliament coerce a monarch who to leave the throne to?

No she can't decide who should follow her and neither can Parliament. The only way the throne would skip Charles is if he died or was declared insane.

Jackswife said:

Juan Carlos' brother Alfonso was younger.

Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria in 1848. Franz Joseph inherited the throne after your uncle Emperor Ferdinand, before the father, Archduke Franz Karl.
Emperor Karl of Austria in 1916. Karl inherited the throne after your Vater's uncle. (Emperor Franz Joseph and Archduke Karl Ludwig were brothers. Karl Ludwig was Karl's Grandfather.)

Last edited:
Queen Wilhelmina of The Netherlands who became queen when she was aged 10. She had a (much older) halfbrother, prince Alexander, when she was 4. Another unexpected king was King Willem III of Great-Britain, Stadtholder of The United Provinces, ho took over the throne from his father-in-law.

These are examples from Swedish history:

The Wasa dynasty (1523-1654): King Gustav I, who we usually call Gustav Wasa, was married three times. His first wife and queen was Katarina of Sachsen-Lauenburg. She gave birth to a son, the future king Erik XIV, but she died soon after that. The king soon re-married, and Margareta Leijonhufwud became his second wife and queen. She gave birth to many children, including the future kings Johan III and Carl IX. She was never pleased with the fact, that her step-son Erik was close to the throne than her own sons. Queen Margareta died, and the aging King Gustav married a third time, to seventeen-year-old Katarina Stenbock. Katarina Stenbock had no children, and she was only twentyfive years old, when she became a widow at the king's death eight years later. When King Gustav died, Crown prince Erik became King Erik XIV. But he didn't get along well with his half-brothers Johan and Carl. Soon enough, they overthrew their brother, and Johan became King Johan III, and Erik's children never inherited the Swedish thrown. After Johan's death, his son Sigismund became king. But he was a Catholic, since his mother was the Polish princess Catherine Jagellonica, and he also was the king of Poland after his grandfather. Gustav Wasa had turned Sweden into a Lutheran country, and Catholics were suspicious at the time. Finally, Sweden was taken away from him, and his uncle Carl became King Carl IX, so Sigismund had to do with Poland. After Carl IX:s death, his son Gustav II Adolf and his granddaughter Christina were the last two Swedish monarchs of the Wasa dynasty. At least two unexpected kings there.

The Pfalz dynasty (1654-1751): After Queen Christina (the woman in my avatar and my namesake) abdicated and became Catholic, her cousin Carl Gustav became king Carl X Gustav. His son was King Carl XI and his grandson was KIng Carl XII. No problems there, except for that both Carl X Gustav and Carl XI died before their sons were adults. But then, Carl XII didn't want to marry. He was only abroad waring, and no children were born. When King Carl XII eventually died in the war without issues, his sister Ulrika Eleonora became quéen. Two years later, she gave the thrown to her husband Frederic of Hessen-Kassel, and they were co-regents for years. These two were unexpected monarchs.

The Holstein-Gottorp dynasty (1751-1818): However, Ulrika Eleonora never had children, and Frederic's children with his mistress Hedvig Taube had no right to inherit the thrown. Instead, he adopted Prince Adolf Frederic of Holstein-Gottorp. He later became king of Sweden, even though he never learned to speak Swedish, and is most known for eating himself to death on wheat buns (even if his meal also consisted of other food). His son became King Gustav III, a much more famous historical figure. But Gustaf III didn't have luck with his marriage to Sophie Madeleine of Denmark, and it took a long time for them to get children. When King Gustav died after he had been shot at a theater (he loved theaters and everything cultural), his son Gustav Adolf was only fourteen years old. However, the boy became King Gustav IV Adolf. When he lost Finland to Russia in a war, he had to abdicate and flee the country with his family. His elderly uncle Carl, Gustaf III:s younger brother, became king Carl XIII. One unexpected king there.

The Bernadotte dynasty (1818 - present): But like Frederic of Hessen-Kassel, Carl XIII had illegimate children, but no children by his wife. He had to adopt, and after the first choice, a Danish prince, had died, the choice fell on French general Jean Baptiste Bernadotte. He was a good warrior in the critical times of the Napoleon wars, and he had a young son, Oscar, whose mere existence was a good security for the survival of the royal house. Soon enough, Jean Baptise Bernadotte became King Carl XIV Johan. In due time, his son Oscar became King Oscar I and his grandson Carl became King Carl XV. But Carl and his wife Louise of the Netherlands didn't have it easy. They had a daughter and a son. But little Prince Carl died, and Princess Louise was now their only child. But Louise had two uncles, Oscar and August, and her uncle Oscar kept getting sons with his wife Sophie of Nassau. Surrounded by all these male relatives, Louise couldn't be heir, and instead, she was married off to Denmark, where she became the wife of the future King Frederic VIII. She eventually became Queen Louise of Denmark and the mother King Christian X of Denmark and King Haakon VIII of Norway. But Sweden was lost for her, and when her father King Carl XV died, his brother Oscar became Oscar II. That's an unexpected monarch. Oscar II was the father of King Gustav V, who was the father of King Gustav VI Adolf. But since Gustav VI Adolf's son Gustav Adolf Edmund died in a plane crash, his grandson had to succeed him as King Carl XVI Gustaf. That's the only example of skipping a generation in Swedish history.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom