The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-25-2008, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

did she , cleopatra,send to kill her own bother-husban? my goodness! i did not know that, for what reason? why did she married her own brother?

Old 11-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The youngest couple perhaps: Mary Stuart, Princess Royal and Willem II, Prince of Orange and stadholder of Holland, Zeeland etc. She was only 9 when they married while he was 15. Van Dyck made a famous portrait of the young couple, look here.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Courtier

Princess Maria Luisa of Savoy was a few days shy of her 13th birthday when she married King Felipe V of Spain in 1701. But their marriage probably wasn't consummated until 1705 or 1706, as their first child was born in August of 1707.

And Maria Luisa's older sister, Maria Adelaide married Louis, Duke of Burgundy by proxy in 1696 when she was not quite eleven. Her groom was 14. They were married in person in December of 1697.
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by morhange View Post
Princess Maria Luisa of Savoy was a few days shy of her 13th birthday when she married King Felipe V of Spain in 1701. But their marriage probably wasn't consummated until 1705 or 1706, as their first child was born in August of 1707.

And Maria Luisa's older sister, Maria Adelaide married Louis, Duke of Burgundy by proxy in 1696 when she was not quite eleven. Her groom was 14. They were married in person in December of 1697.
And Felipe V's firstborn, King Luis, and his wife Louis Elisabeth (15 and 13)
Old 11-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
did she , cleopatra,send to kill her own bother-husban? my goodness! i did not know that, for what reason? why did she married her own brother?
It was very common back then, especially within royal families, for half-siblings to get married to each other. The pharaoh Tuthankhamon and his queen Ankhusenamon (sp?) had the same father, pharaoh Akhnaton, but different mothers. And one of the few female pharaohs, Hatschesput, was also married to her half-brother. And in the Bible, Abraham and Sarah had the same father, but different mothers, so they too got married to each other, even though they were half-siblings. But there still seems to have been a rule, that while you could marry a half-sibling, if you had the same father, you couldn't marry a half-sibling, if you had the same mother.

And why did Cleopatra kill her brother/husband? Well, she was a very ambitious woman. That's why she's so famous even today. But back then, a woman could hardly get power, except through getting married to a powerful man. Cleopatra obviously preferred Julius Ceasar, who became more and more powerful, over her brother/husband Ptolemy XIII. So he was killed, and Cleopatra soon had a son with Julius Ceasar named Ceasarion or Ptolemy XIV (he was killed though, when he was very young). So to make a long story short, Ptolemy XIII was killed because of a power struggle, and because his sister/wife Cleopatra wanted the men, who had the most power.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Gentry

Exactly. Cleopatra was actually married to two brothers, both named Ptolemy, XIV and XV.

Her mother and father were also full sibligs, also named Ptolemy XII and Cleopatra VI. They were the children of Ptolemy IX, the last of the "legitimate" Ptolemies, and one of his concubines. Since all of the other properly bred Ptolemies (from brother-sister marriages) had become extinct, the two were married and Ptolemy XII ascended the throne.

I have read that the famous Cleopatra's sister Berenice (who ruled briefly as well) was married to their father, and that her other sister Arsinoe IV was also married to their brother Ptolemy.

Crikey!

I believe in Medieval times the standard was for the marriage to be consummated following the princess' second menstruation. However, that is not always the case and it does seem that some princes quite gladly consumated their unions with extraordinarily young princesses, even if just for political reasons.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

V, I thought the Ptolomy's were decendant from a General from Alexander's army.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

They are, from Ptolemy I Soter. Antigonus I Monophthalmus and Seleucius got the rest.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Gentry

Yes...Ptolemy I Soter was a general and half-brother of Alexander the Great. His mother, Arsinoe of Macedonia, was originally a concubine of King Philip (Alexander's father) before being given away (already pregnant) to a nobleman called Lagus.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Commoner

I remember reading in these forums that there recently was a young royal bride I think from a country of Eastern Europe who was seen sad and even crying on her wedding day because her marriage was an arranged one. Does anyone remember this?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Royal Highness

in modern times, I think one of the youngest brides (if not the youngest )was Queen Anne Marie of Greece.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carminha Stalker View Post
in modern times, I think one of the youngest brides (if not the youngest )was Queen Anne Marie of Greece.
How old was she when she was married?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Claire View Post
How old was she when she was married?
She was 18 years old.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Aristocracy

I think medival times are quite different and incomparable to today or even our century.
First of all most people didn't live that long, and secondly a protected childhood like we see today was not known back then. Even regular peasant folk married rather early (well maybe not quite at 8-15 but right after)

In our century however we protect children and we consider childhood a period of time that last until eighteen.
Which is why for ex Anne Marie of Denmark and Greece who fell in love at cute 16 was made to wait until 18.
That Ira von Fuerstenberg married THAT young however is very surprising. Her groom seriously could and should be accused (or at least supected of) pedophelia...

BTW another quite young royal bride was Victorias oldest daughter Princess Vicky, princess royal and later Empress Frederic. She married her prince a couple of days short of her 18 birthday due to her parents insistence she should wait. Engaged she had been since she was fourteen.
And her descendant QEII had decided upon her partner-in-life rather early as well, however she too would have to wait until convention would allow for a wedding....
Old 01-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Courtier

I think CP Sarah of Brunei is the youngest bride in those last years.
I think that she was only 17 years old when she married
She was very young but I am not totally shocked since she has the right to accept or not.
It wasn't an arranged marriage.They were presented to each other by a friend.Her mom advised her to think a lot before taking her decision.
It's nice that she continued school but I was sad when I learnt that she was pregnant less than 2 years after her marriage.May be she is very happy but in my opinion she should have waited more.But,this is her choice.
She is an elegant and very professionnal princess.For me,she is one of the most elegant crown princesses.she has nothing to envy to older crown princesses.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fee View Post
I think medival times are quite different and incomparable to today or even our century.
First of all most people didn't live that long, and secondly a protected childhood like we see today was not known back then. Even regular peasant folk married rather early (well maybe not quite at 8-15 but right after)

In our century however we protect children and we consider childhood a period of time that last until eighteen.
Which is why for ex Anne Marie of Denmark and Greece who fell in love at cute 16 was made to wait until 18.
That Ira von Fuerstenberg married THAT young however is very surprising. Her groom seriously could and should be accused (or at least supected of) pedophelia...

BTW another quite young royal bride was Victorias oldest daughter Princess Vicky, princess royal and later Empress Frederic. She married her prince a couple of days short of her 18 birthday due to her parents insistence she should wait. Engaged she had been since she was fourteen.
And her descendant QEII had decided upon her partner-in-life rather early as well, however she too would have to wait until convention would allow for a wedding....
Vicky was married on 25 January 1858. She didn't turn 18 until that November, so she had just turned 17 the year before.
Queen Marie of Romania was just sixteen when she married Crown Prince Carol in 1892.
Kaiseren Augusta of Prussia was sixteen when she married Wilhelm I. He was quite a bit older than her, like 12 years or something.
If you go back far enough, the girls seem to get younger and younger when they're married; for example, Margaret of Baufort was married to Owen Tudor and had the future Henry VII at thirteen; because she was so young, giving birth damaged her body and she was unable to have any more children.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
It was very common back then, especially within royal families, for half-siblings to get married to each other. The pharaoh Tuthankhamon and his queen Ankhusenamon (sp?) had the same father, pharaoh Akhnaton, but different mothers. And one of the few female pharaohs, Hatschesput, was also married to her half-brother. And in the Bible, Abraham and Sarah had the same father, but different mothers, so they too got married to each other, even though they were half-siblings. But there still seems to have been a rule, that while you could marry a half-sibling, if you had the same father, you couldn't marry a half-sibling, if you had the same mother.

And why did Cleopatra kill her brother/husband? Well, she was a very ambitious woman. That's why she's so famous even today. But back then, a woman could hardly get power, except through getting married to a powerful man. Cleopatra obviously preferred Julius Ceasar, who became more and more powerful, over her brother/husband Ptolemy XIII. So he was killed, and Cleopatra soon had a son with Julius Ceasar named Ceasarion or Ptolemy XIV (he was killed though, when he was very young). So to make a long story short, Ptolemy XIII was killed because of a power struggle, and because his sister/wife Cleopatra wanted the men, who had the most power.
Cleopatra also had three more children, twins Alexander Helios and Cleopatra Selene and Ptolemy Philadephous, with Ceasar's cousin, Marc Antony.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Did anyone mention other French royal bride/groom:
- Louis XV - born 15 Feb 1710 marriage Sep 1725 - he was 15,

- Louis (son LXV) b. Sep 4 1729 first marriage by proxy Dec 18 1744 - he was 15,
his second wife Maria Josepha b. Nov 4 1731 marriage Feb 9 1747 - she was 15;

- Louis XV's father Louis Duke of Burgundy b. Aug 16 1682 m. Dec 7 1697 - he was 15 but his wife Marie-Adelaide b. Dec 6 1685 on her wedding was 12 years and 1 day!!!

Not from France:
our King/Queen Jadwia (Hedwig) was around 13 - 15 on her wedding with Władysław Jagiełło
Old 01-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Not quite royal but
James Hamilton 1 Duke of Hamilton b. Jun 19 1606 was almost 16 on his wedding (Jun 16 1622) with 9 years old Mary (Margaret) Fielding.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Nobility

Anne de Mowbray, 8th Countess of Norfolk was six when she married the four-year-old Richard of Shrewsburry, Duke of York. However, their marriage was never consumated, as he died aged 10 (presumably) and she died aged 8.

Mary of Serbia married Stephen Tomašević, heir-apparent to the throne of Bosnia, when she was 12 years old. He moved to Serbia, where he was elected Despot after the death of Mary's father (who had no sons), and therefore it is presumed that their marriage was consumated immediately. She became queen of Bosnia aged 16, shortly after her husband lost the Serbian throne to the Ottomans. Her husband was executed shortly after his accession and she was sent into exile. She never remarried and it is presumed that she never had any children.