The Real Names Of The Royal Families

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helen88

Nobility
City
Bremen
Country
Germany
I know the Swedish royal family´s name is Bernadotte, but what about all the other ones? Does anyone know?

In The Netherlands it's: Van Oranje Nassau (and maybe Von Amsberg to because that's the name of late prince Claus)

For the english royal family, its Windsor.

Those from Monaco are called : Grimaldi

Originally posted by Robbert@Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:50 pm
In The Netherlands it's: Van Oranje Nassau (and maybe Von Amsberg to because that's the name of late prince Claus)
You're right. Eloise, daughter of Laurentien and Constatijn, haves the name 'von Amsberg'.

For the Spanish royals, it's Borbon.

And I believe the Greek royals use "Glucksberg" when absolutely required to have a last name.

Sweden:Bernadotte
Norway: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Danmark: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
GB: Windsor
Netherlands: Oranien-Nassau or oranje-Nassau
Belgium: Sachsen-Coburg
Spain: Bourbon
Luxemburg: Nassau
Monaco:Grimaldi

But I don´t know the name of Liechtenstein-family.

the last name of the princely family is just 'von und zu Liechtenstein'

Lena  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 12:55 pm

Norway: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Danmark: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg

The RF's of Denmark and Norway might both originate from here, but in public today, I can not see members of these families having the same last name ???

It´s clear, that they have the same name! After the seperation from Sweden (in 1905), Norway also got an own Royal house (again), and so prince Carl of Danmark (known as king Haakon VII) became king. He was a brother of king Christian X of Danmark. And that´s the reason why they have the same name!

Originally posted by Helen88@Nov 4th, 2003 - 9:55 am
I know the Swedish royal family´s name is Bernadotte, but what about all the other ones? Does anyone know?
European: Riegning Families-
Belgium- Wettin
Denmark- Oldenberg
Great Britain- Windsor
Liechtenstein- Liechtenstein
Luxembourg- Nassau
Monaco- Grimaldi
Netherlands- Orange-Nassau
Norway- Oldenburg
Spain- Borbon
Sweden- Bernadotte
Non-reigning Families-
Albania- Zogu
Austria- Habsburg-Lorraine
Bulgaria- Wettin
1- France- Bourbon
2- France- Bonaparte
Prussia- Hohenzollern
Bavaria- Wittlesbach
Hanover- Guelf
Saxony- Wettin
Wurttemberg- Wurttemberg
Greece- Oldenburg
Italy- Savoy
Montenegro- Petrovic-Njegos
Portugal- Braganza
Roumania- Hohenzollern
Russia- Romanov
The Two Sicilies- Bourbon
Yugoslavia/Serbia- Karadjordjevic

Source of information- Europe's Royal Families
By-Maria Kroll & Jason Lindsey
Compiled and edited by Burke's Peerage
Copyright- 1979 :heart:

As a follow up to my last post- What I posted were the"Family" names as opposed to their "House" names. There is a difference. They are not the same in many cases.

TOMMIX  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:39 pm

As a follow up to my last post- What I posted were the"Family" names as opposed to their "House" names. There is a difference. They are not the same in many cases.

Lena  Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 2:33 pm

It´s clear, that they have the same name! .....And that´s the reason why they have the same name!

Thank you for your post, Tommix.

I agree, Lena both Royal Houses (of Denmark and Norway) come from the same "House", but what I failed to note in my post, was that it was my assumption that the surnames in today's passports would surely be different names ?

TOMMIX    Posted: Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:30 pm

Prussia- Hohenzollern

Hanover- Guelf

Roumania- Hohenzollern

Actually, I think Roumania is: Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen because it was my understanding that this south branch of the family is Roman Catholic, and the Rumanians wanted a Catholic as king (while the Prussian side of Hohenzollern is Lutheran).

I wonder about Hanover, that there is no reference to "Welfen" ?

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 6th, 2003 - 11:59 am
Actually Hannover is "von Hannover"

see : http://www.echr.coe.int/Eng/Press/2003/nov...er06112003E.htm
:flower: Actually you are wrong..........The FAMILY name IS as I stated in my previous post.
Surley Burkes Peerage, [my source], is superior and far more authoritative than the website you mention.
As for your comment about the Roumanian Royal family's name in your other post, you are correct that Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen is the House name, but as we were asked for the family names, Hohenzollern is correct. :flower:

Originally posted by TOMMIX@Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:30 pm
Belgium- Wettin
I don't think I ever knew the Belgian royals last name before. Interesting TOMMIX, thanks!

Greece-          Oldenburg
Where does Glucksenberg come in? I read that most often, though Oldenburg is part of a longer name.

Originally posted by Alexandria+Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:09 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:09 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TOMMIX@Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:30 pm
Belgium-        Wettin
I don't think I ever knew the Belgian royals last name before. Interesting TOMMIX, thanks!

Greece-           Oldenburg
Where does Glucksenberg come in? I read that most often, though Oldenburg is part of a longer name. [/b][/quote]
Maybe CHRISTIANS???

Originally posted by Alexandria+Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:09 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:09 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TOMMIX@Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:30 pm
Belgium-        Wettin

Greece-           Oldenburg
Where does Glucksenberg come in? I read that most often, though Oldenburg is part of a longer name. [/b][/quote]
:heart: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg is the HOUSE name of both Denmark's and Greece's Royals. Their FAMILY name is Oldenburg.
As I noted in several previous postings the HOUSE name and the FAMILY names are not always the same.
The poster who began this thread was asking for the FAMILY names not the House names. :flower:

What is a FAMILY name and what is a HOUSE name? Which is the diffetrence between them? Or the similarity? I never knew that.
And what about this: Hannover is the same as Brauschweig-Lüneburg ? Is one of the names a family name and the other part a house name?

And what are Hannover = Braunschweig-Lüneburg = Welf ?

Originally posted by Alexandra@Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:50 am
What is a FAMILY name and what is a HOUSE name? Which is the diffetrence between them? Or the similarity? I never knew that.
And what about this: Hannover is the same as Brauschweig-Lüneburg ? Is one of the names a family name and the other part a house name?
Let us take one example first-
In the UK, the Royal's last [ family] name is Windsor, it also happens [in this case] that Windsor is their House name. HM The Queen's last name IS Windsor and the name of this reigning House is also Windsor.

Now for another exmple-
In Belgium the Royal's last [family] name is Wettin, but in this case their House name is Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

To explain it another way, at some time in the past most Royal Families had a last name just like you or I. Such as Smith or Jones [or Wettin]. Most Royal's retain this family name. Their House name is usually derived from the area of land that they ruled over at one time or another. This House name is more closely associated with these families, although they still retain their last [family] names.

As for your question about Hanover and Brunswick-Luneberg. They are House names associated with the family whose last name is Guelf.

My impression is, there are three names that have evolved in this discussion, namely:
i) House name
ii) (House) Family name. I think this is what Tommix has been posting.
iii) (Passport) family name. This is what I was referring to, namely ....

... in regards to the UK Royals, I understand it is because of some passport requirement of around the 1950's? that they were 'compelled' to select the name "Windsor" as their family name.

With the House of Hannover, two points
1.) If the European Court of Human Rights uses the family name "von Hannover", then in officialese their name is 'von Hannover'. That is the name that (I presume) is printed in their passports.
2.) With respect to Guelf, I think there might be a spelling mistake here. I think the real spelling is
a. "Guelpf" (German practice that 'pf' is pronounced as 'f') or
b. "Guelph" (also the name of a town in Ontario, Canada), but I'm not an expert.

And as Tommix has mentioned, the Royal Houses can have many names. The reason being that over time (before World War One) they collected property by war/treaty, they married into it, or it was given to them.

:flower: Since Burke's Peerage is published in the English language, they would naturally use the Anglisied version of German names. So Guelf is the correct spelling [in English].

You are correct about von Hanover in the fact that in Germany today the government does not recognize any former German royal or noble titles, so von Hanover is how that family is known to the German government. That being said, it does not alter the fact that their original family name is Guelf. ;)

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 7th, 2003 - 11:53 am
... in regards to the UK Royals, I understand it is because of some passport requirement of around the 1950's? that they were 'compelled' to select the name "Windsor" as their family name.
:flower: Your assumption is incorrect. Windsor IS thier surname AND the House name. Please look at this website to see Letters Patent issused in 1917 by HM George V-
http://www.heraldica.org/faqs/britfaq.html#p2-1

Thanks for the reference to the year of 1917, Tommix. That was the principle reason why I put a "?" after the year I mentioned, because I couldn't remember if it was something that happened around the end of the First World War, or after the Second World War.

Thank you for your tenacity in setting the record straight. :)

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 7th, 2003 - 1:00 pm
Thanks for the reference to the year of 1917, Tommix. That was the principle reason why I put a "?" after the year I mentioned, because I couldn't remember if it was something that happened around the end of the First World War, or after the Second World War.

Thank you for your tenacity in setting the record straight. :)
You, and the other members are quite welcome. I like to be of service whenever I can! :flower:

Tommix, you are a gem. I enjoy reading your posts. ;) :flower:

Originally posted by TOMMIX+Nov 7th, 2003 - 6:35 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TOMMIX @ Nov 7th, 2003 - 6:35 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alexandra@Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:50 am
Let us take one example first-
In the UK, the Royal's last [ family] name is Windsor, it also happens [in this case] that Windsor is their House name. HM The Queen's last name IS Windsor and the name of this reigning House is also Windsor.

Now for another exmple-
In Belgium the Royal's last [family] name is Wettin, but in this case their House name is Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

To explain it another way, at some time in the past most Royal Families had a last name just like you or I. Such as Smith or Jones [or Wettin]. Most Royal's retain this family name. Their House name is usually derived from the area of land that they ruled over at one time or another. This House name is more closely associated with these families, although they still retain their last [family] names.

As for your question about Hanover and Brunswick-Luneberg. They are House names associated with the family whose last name is Guelf. [/b][/quote]
Thank you, Tommix for the good explanation.

Back
Top Bottom