The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #141  
Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Tilia C.'s Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: O, Germany
Posts: 1,736
I also saw these pages on Wikipedia, but sometimes there are mistakes in the articles. And the discussion pages of the article some people really challenge the content. I just find it strange that no-one was able to quote a reliable source, e.g. an official announcement. So maybe the change of the house-name is just an internet rumour?
The Dutch RF e.g. is still the house of Orange-Nassau after three generations of queens. I guess I'm a bit stubborn here, I still want an official statement from the Royal House to confirm this.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 06-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,167
Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Nyheder

Here is an article regarding the titles.

What wikipedia says is the only information I can find. I believe it changed due to Margrethes marriage. as it says in the article Frederik, Joachim and there descendants are agnatically (through Henrik) in line to the family of Laborde De Monpezat.

It likes the windsor house should be mountbatten as a wife usually takes her husbands surname, but Elizabeth didn't want to change it.

Maybe Margrethe did.

Category:House of Glücksburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Frederik, Joachim, Christian, Isabella, Nikolai, Felix and baby NN have also been removed from the article above which are people belonging to the house of Glucksburg.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 06-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,425

Your Kongehuset link is a press release dated 30 April 2008. It advises that Frederik and Joachim will bear the additional title of 'greve af Monpezat'; Mary and Marie 'grevinde af Monpezat'; Christian bears 'greve af Monpezat' and Isabella 'komtesse af Monpezat'. It says nothing about surnames.

Beware of Wikipedia when an entry makes claims which are unsourced and unsubstantiated.

The argument that the House of Windsor should be the House of Mountbatten has no more relevance than the House of Windsor being the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

Your Kongehuset link is a press release dated 30 April 2008. It advises that Frederik and Joachim will bear the additional title of 'greve af Monpezat'; Mary and Marie 'grevinde af Monpezat'; Christian bears 'greve af Monpezat' and Isabella 'komtesse af Monpezat'. It says nothing about surnames.
Yes I realised that. I went back and edited my post afterwards and wrote undfer neither that it was an article refering to the titles.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 06-12-2009, 03:47 PM
free2rhyme's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Posts: 207
Though Windsor is the royal family of the United Kingdom's house name I did hear that upon their wedding's such as for the register Charles and Anne both used the surname Mountbatten-Windsor. I also read somewhere that upon the birth of Lady Louise (Prince Edward's daughter) that she became the first royal to actually have the surname Mountbatten-Windsor since the law changed in the 60's when Prince Philip complained he was the only man in the UK not allowed to give his children his name.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 06-13-2009, 08:06 AM
HIRM&DSS Darius's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: RPB, United States
Posts: 18
Quote:
European: Riegning Families-
Belgium- Wettin
Denmark- Oldenberg
Great Britain- Windsor
Liechtenstein- Liechtenstein
Luxembourg- Nassau
Monaco- Grimaldi
Netherlands- Orange-Nassau
Norway- Oldenburg
Spain- Borbon
Sweden- Bernadotte
Non-reigning Families-
Albania- Zogu
Austria- Habsburg-Lorraine
Bulgaria- Wettin
1- France- Bourbon
2- France- Bonaparte
Prussia- Hohenzollern
Bavaria- Wittlesbach
Hanover- Guelf
Saxony- Wettin
Wurttemberg- Wurttemberg
Greece- Oldenburg
Italy- Savoy
Montenegro- Petrovic-Njegos
Portugal- Braganza
Roumania- Hohenzollern
Russia- Romanov
The Two Sicilies- Bourbon
Yugoslavia/Serbia- Karadjordjevic

Source of information- Europe's Royal Families
By-Maria Kroll & Jason Lindsey
Compiled and edited by Burke's Peerage
Copyright- 1979

Although these are semi correct lol , they are semi- incorrect. Usually there is more then one House name Romanov is actually Parent House Oldenburg- Holstein - Gottorp -Romanov
Windsors were actually Saschen-Coburg -un Gotha -Aldenburg then by decree they changed the name to Windsor ( like the Palace) which was named after the Windsor Territory in Old Germany. Our Greek lines were Hesse main house plus the cadet house names per lines. If you look up each you will find most have 3 which was traditional with Parent House line first. Some have more and many have changed or abbreviated names over the decades.
__________________
by Grace of God HIRM&DSS IMPERATOR & GRAND CZAR Darius Adrik Salvo I Noto Von Holstein-Gottorp -Trifiro Kings. The Prince of Kings
The Imperial Sovereign House of Kings
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 06-13-2009, 08:15 AM
HIRM&DSS Darius's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: RPB, United States
Posts: 18
Quote:
Here is an article regarding the titles.

What wikipedia says is the only information I can find. I believe it changed due to Margrethes marriage. as it says in the article Frederik, Joachim and there descendants are agnatically (through Henrik) in line to the family of Laborde De Monpezat.

It likes the windsor house should be mountbatten as a wife usually takes her husbands surname, but Elizabeth didn't want to change it.

Maybe Margrethe did.

Category:House of Glücksburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
People here are confusing Surnames with House, Line names in some countries they are the same in Royal lines they are usually different or some combination of both is used. Prince Philip abdicated rights and throne succession to Greece in marrying Her Majesty Elizabeth as such The English House name takes precedence. They do use Mountbatten- Windsor as last name just Windsor as House name. The press in general will call us as they like lol the public should look these things up. Press in general will mis-inform the public as writers tend to take creative freedoms, leave things out, add things etc.
__________________
by Grace of God HIRM&DSS IMPERATOR & GRAND CZAR Darius Adrik Salvo I Noto Von Holstein-Gottorp -Trifiro Kings. The Prince of Kings
The Imperial Sovereign House of Kings
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 06-21-2009, 07:05 AM
imojeen's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: .., Kenya
Posts: 145
what's written is royal's diploma? for example Prince Frederik? Frederik Monpezat? or Haakon? What?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 07-10-2009, 01:48 AM
HIRM&DSS Darius's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: RPB, United States
Posts: 18
Quote:
My impression is, there are three names that have evolved in this discussion, namely:
i) House name
ii) (House) Family name. I think this is what Tommix has been posting.
iii) (Passport) family name. This is what I was referring to, namely ....

... in regards to the UK Royals, I understand it is because of some passport requirement of around the 1950's? that they were 'compelled' to select the name "Windsor" as their family name.

With the House of Hannover, two points
1.) If the European Court of Human Rights uses the family name "von Hannover", then in officialese their name is 'von Hannover'. That is the name that (I presume) is printed in their passports.
2.) With respect to Guelf, I think there might be a spelling mistake here. I think the real spelling is
a. "Guelpf" (German practice that 'pf' is pronounced as 'f') or
b. "Guelph" (also the name of a town in Ontario, Canada), but I'm not an expert.

And as Tommix has mentioned, the Royal Houses can have many names. The reason being that over time (before World War One) they collected property by war/treaty, they married into it, or it was given to them.
Windsor was an old section in Germany in the 1400's ( I am a duke of Original Windsor (old Windsor by blood) The Palace was named Windsor Palace in England after Windsor in Germany- and England officiated Duke of Windsor as one of it's titles and stylings. The Royal Family then took the name of the palace during the War to dis-associate with the Third Reich (from Sachen-Coburg-un gotha -Aldenburg) to Mountbatten-Windsor. Generally just used as the House of Windsor and last name of Windsor
__________________
by Grace of God HIRM&DSS IMPERATOR & GRAND CZAR Darius Adrik Salvo I Noto Von Holstein-Gottorp -Trifiro Kings. The Prince of Kings
The Imperial Sovereign House of Kings
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 07-10-2009, 06:24 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIRM&DSS Darius
Windsor was an old section in Germany in the 1400's ( I am a duke of Original Windsor (old Windsor by blood) The Palace was named Windsor Palace in England after Windsor in Germany- and England officiated Duke of Windsor as one of it's titles and stylings. The Royal Family then took the name of the palace during the War to dis-associate with the Third Reich (from Sachen-Coburg-un gotha -Aldenburg) to Mountbatten-Windsor.
George V changed the House and Family name to Windsor in 1917 during WWI. From 1901 to this date the House name was Saxe-Coburg & Gotha with the Family name of Wettin (that being the name of the Saxon Royal House and Duchies). Windsor was chosen because this British castle/fortress had the image of tradition, strength and stability. The Third Reich was Hitler's creation and came some years later. The 'Duke of Windsor' title was created in 1937.

Windsor Castle is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The name of Windsor originates from old English Windles-ore or 'winch by the riverside' (according to Wiki).
I can't find any reference to a Windsor in Germany.

Mountbatten-Windsor is a more recent creation and seems to be the preferred Family name of most of the Queen's children, at least on marriage certificates.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 07-10-2009, 05:59 PM
HIRM&DSS Darius's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: RPB, United States
Posts: 18
Quote:
Quote:
George V changed the House and Family name to Windsor in 1917 during WWI. From 1901 to this date the House name was Saxe-Coburg & Gotha with the Family name of Wettin (that being the name of the Saxon Royal House and Duchies). Windsor was chosen because this British castle/fortress had the image of tradition, strength and stability. The Third Reich was Hitler's creation and came some years later. The 'Duke of Windsor' title was created in 1937.

Windsor Castle is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. The name of Windsor originates from old English Windles-ore or 'winch by the riverside' (according to
Wiki).
I can't find any reference to a Windsor in Germany.

Mountbatten-Windsor is a more recent creation and seems to be the preferred Family name of most of the Queen's children, at least on marriage certificates.


They are most certainly Oldenburg (Aldenburg) as My 17th cousin Prince William pointed this out to me and my cousin Hally personally- Check link below as for the old windsor I will find the link when I have a free moment and post it. There are many , many Oldenburg and other Royal lines that do not have proper historical documentation( many cadet house lines)other at the time were left out of the registries for not paying proper tax, tith, tribute to church and /or main house.

Tree: Anton Gunther von ALDENBURG (OLDENBURG)
__________________
by Grace of God HIRM&DSS IMPERATOR & GRAND CZAR Darius Adrik Salvo I Noto Von Holstein-Gottorp -Trifiro Kings. The Prince of Kings
The Imperial Sovereign House of Kings
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 07-10-2009, 06:17 PM
HIRM&DSS Darius's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: RPB, United States
Posts: 18
Warren my apology, I see where my error is I intended to say Old Windsor in England lol for some reason because of Aldenburg- I was thinking Germany and wrote Germany. Mind slip lol

Germany.Windsor, Berkshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
by Grace of God HIRM&DSS IMPERATOR & GRAND CZAR Darius Adrik Salvo I Noto Von Holstein-Gottorp -Trifiro Kings. The Prince of Kings
The Imperial Sovereign House of Kings
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 07-15-2009, 05:44 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIRM&DSS Darius View Post
They are most certainly Oldenburg (Aldenburg)
I think you are confusing the Saxe-Coburgs with the Schleswig-Holsteins. The Saxe-Coburgs are part of the Wettin family of the Houses of Saxony; the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburgs (of which Charles will be the first British King although he will presumably remain under the House of Windsor rather than Mountbatten) are part of the Oldenburg dynasty.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 AM
principessa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Schweinfurt, Germany
Posts: 2,664
Does the Asian and African royals also have a surname?
__________________
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 07-15-2009, 08:45 AM
HIRM&DSS Darius's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: RPB, United States
Posts: 18
Quote:
I think you are confusing the Saxe-Coburgs with the Schleswig-Holsteins. The Saxe-Coburgs are part of the Wettin family of the Houses of Saxony; the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburgs (of which Charles will be the first British King although he will presumably remain under the House of Windsor rather than Mountbatten) are part of the Oldenburg dynasty.
Warren, I am certain you are correct lol... I am from both lines. They are all intermarried on one level or the other, directly or indirectly and I do tend to confuse the histories. I have 7 Imperial lines 18 Royal lines confirmed in my lines up to the very late 1800's early 1900's when they all changed names and became citizen of the USA and disappeared off of the map. Hence I have Royals whom are cousin by one line, uncle by another. It is Confusing lol. There are also so many name changes throughout all of the lines, some just in spelling/ language ( by regional usages)i.e Aldenburg to Oldenburg other by marriages to entirely new names.
__________________
by Grace of God HIRM&DSS IMPERATOR & GRAND CZAR Darius Adrik Salvo I Noto Von Holstein-Gottorp -Trifiro Kings. The Prince of Kings
The Imperial Sovereign House of Kings
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 07-15-2009, 09:08 AM
espejor's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sevilla, Spain
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIRM&DSS Darius View Post
Although these are semi correct lol , they are semi- incorrect. Usually there is more then one House name Romanov is actually Parent House Oldenburg- Holstein - Gottorp -Romanov
Windsors were actually Saschen-Coburg -un Gotha -Aldenburg then by decree they changed the name to Windsor ( like the Palace) which was named after the Windsor Territory in Old Germany. Our Greek lines were Hesse main house plus the cadet house names per lines. If you look up each you will find most have 3 which was traditional with Parent House line first. Some have more and many have changed or abbreviated names over the decades.
I guess that the name of the Greek Royal Family is Glücksburg... Do you know if I'm right?

Regards!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 07-15-2009, 01:24 PM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Does the Asian and African royals also have a surname?
Africa for example:
Bokassa, Zulu,
Dalmini (Swaziland)
Alaouite (Marocco)
Seeiso (Lesotho)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 07-16-2009, 03:26 AM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by espejor View Post
I guess that the name of the Greek Royal Family is Glücksburg
Like the Danish Royal Family, the Greek Royal Family have no "name". Together with the Norwegian royals and the non-reigning Ducal line, they are of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, which is itself a branch of the Oldenburg dynasty.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 AM
principessa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Schweinfurt, Germany
Posts: 2,664
Am I right? The House of Tuscany is also called Altenburg?!?
__________________
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 AM
principessa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Schweinfurt, Germany
Posts: 2,664
Bhutan = Wangchuck
Japan = Heisei Era
Cambodia = Norodom
__________________

__________________
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
British Royal Family current events 1: November 2002-November 2005 Jacqueline Current Events Archive 396 11-16-2005 05:53 PM
Secret Royal Meetings Warren Royal Life and Lifestyle 1 10-04-2005 08:51 AM
Royal Families of Germany: News & Photos 1 Rick Royal Families of Germany and Austria 176 01-16-2005 08:03 PM
Pavlos And Marie Chantal: Current Events December 2002 - October 2003 Julia Crown Prince Pavlos, Marie Chantal and Family 76 10-14-2003 08:40 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium birth carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman poland president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess mabel princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]