The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Oldenburg (originally Aldenburg) is the name of the county in Germany from whence the current Oldenburgs, Schleswig-Holsteins etc descend.
Wettin comes from the name of a castle acquired by the family in the 11th century.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the "problem" is that most families we are discussing here date back into historical times when the idea of a "last name" did simply not exist.

People took their names from the place they came from or from their profession to be distinguished from others. As the world most people lived in was small, more information wasn't needed. Anybody in the vincinity of someone's birthplace could identify Robert the Miller or Wilhelm the Archer.

The Lord of a region took his name from his keep: Rudolf of Habsburg was Lord of Habsburg Castle. The Wittelsbach owned Wittelsbach Castle in Oberwittelsbach close to Augsburg in Bavaria around 900 AD. Once a member of the family ruling a "tribal castle" like that of Wittelbach earned a feudal title to service for the ruler of his country, he either took over the new title or added it to his old lordship. So a Wittelsbach allegedly was given the County of Scheyern (in which Wittelsbach Castle is situation) and started calling himself Count of Scheyern. Younger sons inherited after their father's death a smaller holding and took their name from that, founding new lines of the "House". Or he married an heiress and added her lands to his, adding her titles to his. He then styled himself as "Count of X" from the Family Lineage of Wittelsbach. But that's not a family name, really, it only told where the family, the "House", originally had risen to prominence.

But time advanced and the art of writing was taught to more and more people serving the rulers. And with the knowledge of writing documents became important as they offered a better possibility to prove claims.
With it, people tried to make their relations clear in order to settle inheritances etc. Thus, the way a Lord related to a family became more important. While this was true even to the Upper Nobility, it wasn't necessary for the ruling families. Some none-the-less decided to use the name of their family lineage or House as a family name, while others were content to be known by the lands they were holding.

So while all ruling families derived from the "House of Oldenburg" (which is the family who rose to prominence in the Oldenburg area of Northern Germany) are identifiable by their realm (former or current), it doesn't mean that Oldenburg is their family name, it only serves to identify their family lineage.

I hope it is clearer now. So in any case you have to look for official documents where a ruler decided to make his family identifiable officially by a family name. If there isn't such a document, then the family doesn't have a family name. They are then simply of the lineage of the lords of Wittelsbach, of Wettin, of Oldenburg, of Hohenzollern, of Habsburg. Because that's where their "famous" family started from.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Courtier

The royal family from Denmark dont juse the names Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderbug-Glucksburg BUT only Glucksburg.
The reason for this is when King Christian 9. lost the earldom Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg in 1864 he and his descendant lost the rigth to juse the names for the furtur.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Just wanted to add that I think in England a change started with the inheritance of the Scottish kings who for some generations had used their former position at court (High Steward) as a family name: first Steward, then written as Stuart. Plus in Scotland the Clan system based on clan as family names. Lord X Campbell of Y surely was somehow related to Lord V Campbell of A.

IIRC you could see a change in historic documents from Elizabeth I to James I when they related to members of the aristocracy.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Courtier

Sure, many royal houses take their names from their dominions, but so do many of the names common people hold as well. If one took a sample of commoners anywhere, some would have place-derived names, and others would have names derived from occupations or patriarchs' names. It is interesting that in some cultures, like Francophone ones, a manorial name is preferred to a familial one. So, for example, the Viscounts Carpentier de Changy would use the surname "de Changy", etc.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Commoner

Crimean Tatar : Giray(Turkish), Geray(Crimean Tatar), Girey(Russian), Kerey(Mongolian)
Old 08-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative Spain

According to Greece and Denmark I've always read that it is:

Greece: Schleswig - Holstein
Denmark: Sondeburg - Glucksburg

Is that right?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Nobility

Windsor v Mountbatten WindsorI

I think there is generally some confusion about these names. At the time the Queen decided to honour Philip by the addition of Windsor the received interpretation was that this would only be for the non-royal decendants of Pr Andrew and Pr Edward. There was therefore surprise when Pss Anne married and used Mountbatten Windsor. Since Pr Andrew has no sons there will be no MWs there, but I understand that since Pr E decided not to accept royal style for his children their surnames are MW. Pr Charles and Wm and H are supposed to be just Windsor, but any non royal descendants may well also be MW.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Courtier

Saudi Arabia 's House name is Saud I don't known their last name or if it' the same as their house name.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 08-25-2008, 03:17 AM
Administrator

The Saudis are known as the House of Saud with the family or clan name of Al Saud.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Aristocracy

Question Family Surname's

This question occurred to me in the Danish section of the forum.

There are a couple or several families that do not have a last-name.

My question is for example: What does Ingrid-Alexandra of Norway tell her friends when they ask her "what's your surname?" (to my knowledge she does not have one)
Old 06-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thread in the Danish forum: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...name-6549.html

This may also be of interest to you, California: The Battenberg - Mountbattens
Old 06-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
My question is for example: What does Ingrid-Alexandra of Norway tell her friends when they ask her "what's your surname?" (to my knowledge she does not have one)
it's Ingrid Alexandra Oldenburg

Old 06-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari_* View Post
According to Greece and Denmark I've always read that it is:

Greece: Schleswig - Holstein
Denmark: Sondeburg - Glucksburg

Is that right?
Denmark was Glucksburg before Queen Margrethe changed the house name to Laborde De Monpezat.

Greece is the House of Glucksburg.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie2006 View Post
Denmark: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg
Sweden: Bernadotte
Norway: Oldenburg
Belgium: Wettin/Saxe-Coburg (the surname of Leopold I)
Britain: Windsor (formerly Saxe-Coburg and Wettin before that; changed 1918); the descendants of QEII are officially Mountbatten-Windsor
Monaco: Grimaldi
Netherlands: Von Amsberg or Orange-Nassau
Serbia: Karađorđević
Spain: Borbon
Brazil: Braganza
Luxembourg: de Nassau
Hanover: Wettin
Scotland: Stuart
Italy: Bourbon-Parma & Savoy
Romania: Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen
Austria: Hapsburg & Braganza-Wettin
Thank you for that list.

I know there is some discussion about this but aren't the descendants of QEII allowed to decide what they call themselves?

Mountbatten-Windsor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According the wikipedia it is the personal surname not the house name. As royals tend to use the names of their titles like William and Harry use Wales when at Sandhurst. Beatrice and Eugenie use York and so forth.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Denmark was Glucksburg before Queen Margrethe changed the house name to Laborde De Monpezat.
When did she change it? I only heard that she created the title of Count of Monpezat for her sons. But I never heard of changing the name of the house.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
When did she change it? I only heard that she created the title of Count of Monpezat for her sons. But I never heard of changing the name of the house.
There was no change, there was only the the title of Count de Monpezat created.
The danish, norwegian and greek RFs have no surname. Maybe the kids are known in school as Ingrid Alexandra Norge or Christian de Monpezat (maybe this was a reason for QE to create the title).
Asfaik Haakon used 'Magnus' as a kind of surname when at University in the US, Frederik was know as Frederik Henriksen at Harvard.
The greek royals use 'de Grecia' (Konstantin and Anne-Marie), Nicolaos, Theodora and Philippos use 'Greece', I don't know which name is in Pavlos' passport.

A bit OT, but do one of you happen to know if all children of K&AM have danish passport as well?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Well Cp Frederik, Cp Mary, Christian, Isabella, Joachim, Marie, Nikolai, Felix and Baby NN there house has now changed to Laborde de Monpezat. Margrethe still says House of Glucksborg. She did create people Count and Countess of Monpezat, but some how the house of the above people have changed.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you for your answers, but unfortunately I now have two contradictory answers!
Via Google I couldnt find much information either, except for a Wikipedia article that might not be accurate. It is followed by a discussion and several people saying that the information is wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_talk:House_of_Laborde_de_Monpezat
So, in the absence of an official announcement, I tend to believe that the name of the royal house is still Glcksburg.
But maybe someone else has better googling-skills than I and can provide a link to a reliable source? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

House of Laborde de Monpezat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Queen Margrethe's house hasn't changed. Margrethe II of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Crown Prince Frederik, Prince Joachim their spouse and descendants house have.
Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Prince Joachim of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia