The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
The Japanese Imperial Family has no surname.
http://www.etoile.co.uk/Japan/Faq.html
thanks for your help, Magnik!

Old 05-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Serene Highness

This was an interesting thread, even if I still don't understand the difference between the house name and the family name.

Old 05-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna
This was an interesting thread, even if I still don't understand the difference between the house name and the family name.
Family name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_name
Old 05-31-2006, 06:36 AM
Serene Highness

If I have understood this correctly, the family name is what is used in official records, like on a passport or on an ID card, while the house name "only" indicates the royal's origin and is rarely used?
Old 06-02-2006, 06:39 AM
Serene Highness

Bahrain: Al-Khalifa Dynasty
Brazil: Braganza Dynasty
Cambodia: Varman Dynasty
Egypt: Muhammad 'Ali Dynasty
Iran: Pahlavi Dynasty
Iraq: Al-Hashimi Dynasty
Jordan: Al-Hashimi Dynasty
Kuwait: Al-Sabah Dynasty
Morocco: Alawi Dynasty
Oman: Al-Busaid Dynasty
Turkey: Imperial House of Osman
Persia: Qajar Dynasty
Qatar: Al-Thani Dynasty
Tunisia: Husainid Dynasty
Yemen: al-Qasimi Dynasty
Old 08-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

I read that Prince Felipe has all these last names.. Borbón, Schleswig-Holstein (Greece) , Borbón dos Sicilias, Sonderburg-Glüksbourg, Battemberg, Hannover, Orleans, Romanoff, Anjou, Hesse-Cassel, Nápoles & Schleswig-Holstein (yes, again)
Old 08-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari_*
I read that Prince Felipe has all these last names.. Borbón, Schleswig-Holstein (Greece) , Borbón dos Sicilias, Sonderburg-Glüksbourg, Battemberg, Hannover, Orleans, Romanoff, Anjou, Hesse-Cassel, Nápoles & Schleswig-Holstein (yes, again)
Where did you read that?
He can be descendant of these families but has all these names...I don't think so.

He is His Royal Highness Prince Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso y de la Santísima Trinidad y de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia (of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg), Prince of Gerona, Prince of Viana, Duke of Montblanc, Count of Cervera, and Lord of Balaguer.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Where did you read that?
He can be descendant of these families but has all these names...I don't think so.

He is His Royal Highness Prince Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso y de la Santísima Trinidad y de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia (of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg), Prince of Gerona, Prince of Viana, Duke of Montblanc, Count of Cervera, and Lord of Balaguer.
You missed the most important one.. Prince of Asturias

Oh and what i meant .. and read is that he passes through all these last names..
Old 08-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
You missed the most important one.. Prince of Asturias

Oh and what i meant .. and read is that he passes through all these last names..
There's only one prince Felipe of Spain and one prince Philippe of Belgium and one prince Philip of UK

He is His Royal Highness Prince Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso y de la Santísima Trinidad y de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia (of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg), Prince of Asturias, Prince of Gerona, Prince of Viana, Duke of Montblanc, Count of Cervera, and Lord of Balaguer

Felipe is descendant af all these names but he has only two names after his father de Borbon and after mother Grecia.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
de Borbon - after Juan Carlos
von Schleswig - Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg after Sofia and Hellenes family
de Borbon dos Sicilias - Maria de las Mercedes, Countess os Barcelona
d'Orleans - after Countess of Barcelona's mother Louise Princess d'Orleans
von Battenberg - after Victoria Eugenia "Ena" Princess von Battenberg, Queen-Consort of Spain
von Sachsen-Coburg ind Gotha - after Ena's mother Princess Beatrice of GB
von Hannover - after Sofia's mother Frederike Princess von Hannover
von Hohenzollern - after Frederike's mother Viktoria Luise Princess von Preuss
Romanov(-Holstein-Gottorp) - after Olga GDss of Russia wife of George I of Hellens
von Hessen-Kassel - after spouse of Christian IX of Denmark, Luise mother of George I of Hellens

and few more

f.ex. to the 15th generation surname list http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=e...&after=&before=
Old 08-04-2006, 01:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
There's only one prince Felipe of Spain and one prince Philippe of Belgium and one prince Philip of UK [/I]
I know magnik..
Quote:
He is His Royal Highness Prince Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso y de la Santísima Trinidad y de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia (of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg), Prince of Gerona, Prince of Viana, Duke of Montblanc, Count of Cervera, and Lord of Balaguer. [/I]
What i meant is that on the post above you missed Prince Felipe of Spain's most important title which is Prince of Asturias i was not referring to any other Prince..
Old 08-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I know magnik..

What i meant is that on the post above you missed Prince Felipe of Spain's most important title which is Prince of Asturias i was not referring to any other Prince..
I know and on my second posted I post him correctly with PoA etc.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
He is His Royal Highness Prince Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso y de la Santísima Trinidad y de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia (of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg)

I'm sorry being in the middle of your discussion, i just wanna say a few things.
It was said by the Queen that her surname is Grecia, just Grecia.
All this: Schleswig Holstein Sondenburg Hessen Kassel Gottorp Hohenzollern Braunschweig are not her surname.
She and her children, like the Greek Royal Family, are just Grecia.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...JuAnItA...
I'm sorry being in the middle of your discussion, i just wanna say a few things.
It was said by the Queen that her surname is Grecia, just Grecia.
All this: Schleswig Holstein Sondenburg Hessen Kassel Gottorp Hohenzollern Braunschweig are not her surname.
She and her children, like the Greek Royal Family, are just Grecia.

Yes, I know JuAnItA It was just my simple response/answer for Mari_*'s surname list of Felipe. Grecia is simlpe than SHSG

Btw. maybe you has and could post the rest of this article?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaraprin View Post
Must correct the British Royal Family name--it is Mountbatten-Windsor. when Princess Anne married the first time, she was registered as Anne Mountbatten-Windsor.
prince andrew also used this name when he got married. i think the brf only use their surname when absolutely nessisary

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightRhapsody View Post
Isn't Great Britain's "real" last name "Saxe-Coburg-Gotha" which they changed to "Windsor" to sound more English?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hania View Post
The british royals officiallly have the surname Windsor mountbatten as a tribute to prince phillip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Wasn´t the british rf named Battenberg (Philip?) at first but changed it to Mountbatten to make it sound more british?
the brf surname was origionaly honnover prince albert was from saxe-coberg-gotha an area that is in the germany area i think. the changed it because of the wars against germany so they changed to windsor - when philip was granted british nationality/citizenship he changed his name to mountbatten the brf have been known as windsor for a while but genrally use mountbatten windsor if absolutly nessisery only peter and zara phillips and i think the kents and gloucters? dont use this name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.~ View Post
Prior to 1917 the British Royal House was that of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (from where Prince Albert, spouse of Queen Victoria, hailed). In 1917, after WWI, the house name was changed to Windsor from the Germanic Saxe-Coburg-Gotha due to anti-German sentiment. Windsor was chosen because the ancient castle was seen as a British bastion, etc. , and thus what name could be more British than that?
Hope that all makes sense.
it does make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
Mountbatten-Windsor is the personal surname of some of the descendants of Queen Elizabeth II and Duke of Edinburgh. The official name of the British RF or Royal Houseis Windsor.
The change of surname does not apply to members of the RF who are not descended from the Queen. The Order specifically applies the surname to those descendants of the EII not holding Royal styles and titles but in practice it is used by all the British Royal Family descended from Queen as their surname, as shown at the marriages of the Prince Andrew and the Princess Anne, when both used Mountbatten-Windsor in their entries in the marriage registers.

More about royal surnames http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page3379.asp
unless something really drastic happens to william harry and charles i think edwards kids will use mountbatten windsor when the time comes for them to have familys of their own.

sorry for the long post
Old 04-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Courtier

It is a bit odd, though. Neither Mountbatten nor Windsor are the hereditary names of the family. (Prince Charles, for example, still belongs to the House of Greece and Denmark according to Salic law)... "Mountbatten" is "Battenberg," but from the duke's mother's family..."Windsor" is a complete fabrication... It sort of reminds me of the way that Asian dynasties assume dynastic names upon ascending the throne. (such as Q'ing in China or Sho in Ryukyu).
Old 04-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Nobility

I think George V can be forgiven for his little name "fabrication" as Great Britain was embroiled in WWI against Germany at the time. Since the English developed quite a dislike for all things German, including his "family" name of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, it was a rather prudent move on his part. Hats off to his secretary for coming up with Windsor!

As far as the other royal last names, I thought Norway's Oldenberg was a house/place name and not a true surname. The only surnames I am absolutely certain of are Bernodotte (Sweden) and Bonaparte (French). I don't know enough of Russian royalty to opine as to the Romanov name, but as Princess Dagmar (Minny) of Denmark was renamed Maria Fedorovna (sp?) upon her marriage to Alexander, it can be documented that they were prone to name changes.

Cat
Old 04-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Nobility

Denmark: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg
Sweden: Bernadotte
Norway: Oldenburg
Belgium: Wettin/Saxe-Coburg (the surname of Leopold I)
Britain: Windsor (formerly Saxe-Coburg and Wettin before that; changed 1918); the descendants of QEII are officially Mountbatten-Windsor
Monaco: Grimaldi
Netherlands: Von Amsberg or Orange-Nassau
Serbia: Karađorđević
Spain: Borbon
Brazil: Braganza
Luxembourg: de Nassau
Hanover: Wettin
Scotland: Stuart
Italy: Bourbon-Parma & Savoy
Romania: Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen
Austria: Hapsburg & Braganza-Wettin
Old 04-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Serene Highness

It's very interesting thread, I was always wondering about "real" names of royals. Leslie2006 and others thank you for putting this all together.
I have a question about Japan's royal. Unless I missed something it was stated here that they don't have last name. But don't they have passports, didn't they go to study abroad, so what name they used?

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 05-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Nobility

I completely forgot about the Grimaldis of Monaco and the Stuarts of Scotland! Obviousy true surnames.

The other lastnames/surnames all appear to be place names (de Nassua is obviously of Nassua) wth the possible exceptions of Oldenburg and Wettin, those two I have no clue about. To my knowledge, most royal houses don't really have a surname, with the few exceptions noted, but "place names" or "house names". This practice seems to go back for centuries to the point that these names are considered surnames.

Cat