The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.~
Hi Solange! :)

Yes, they're claiming that the RF doesn't have a last name. Other royal families who hailed from elsewhere (eg the Greeks) also were simply known as 'of X'. However, they are known as the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (which is different from a last name).

I presume they also discussed how Albert isn't actually the King of Belgium, but rather is the King of the Belgians. Anyway, it must have been an interesting show!
Yes , because here in Belgium we say Koning der Belgen ( King of the belgians ) and not King of Belgium ( Koning van Belgie)

In the Netherlands they say Koningin van (of der) NEDERLAND(en)
( Queen of the Netherlands) and not koningin van de NEDERLANDERS

But tell me if I'm wrong:o

Old 06-19-2005, 07:01 AM
Majesty

very intresting quastians

Old 06-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Courtier

from the website www.kongehuset.dk

Having existed for more than 1000 years, the Danish Monarchy is one of the oldest in the world. The two large houses of the Danish Monarchy are the House of Oldenborg and the House of Glücksborg. In 1863, the House of Glücksborg succeeded the House of Oldenborg. The present Royal Family are the direct descendants of the House of Glücksborg.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:56 AM
Nobility

i once read in a book that only non-royal descendants of QEII will adopt the surname of mountbatten-windsor. lady louise's known as louise windsor not louise mountbatten-windsor. but why princess anne use the surname mountbatten-windsor, i don't understand.

i also don't understand which descendants of QEII will be non-royal, if it's refering to the female-line descendants, they would use their fathers' surnames. if it's referring to the male-line descendants, only prince harry's grandsons (or great grandsons??)will be counted as non-royal. but the decree was made in the 1960s, isn't it too early to worry about it?

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 07-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Courtier

I have a question about the current commoner-crown princesses. I know that in Spain the women don't take their husband's last name, therefore Letizia is still using her father's name Ortiz and not Borbon. Do the other princesses like Mary, Maxima, Mathilde, and Mette still use their maiden names in official documents and such or their married names? And does Marie-Chantal still use Miller or her in-her-wildest-dreams "of Greece"?
Old 07-22-2005, 07:48 AM
Gentry

The house of Schleswig-Holstein-Sønderburg-Glücksburg is a branch of the house of Oldenburg.

The GRF don't have a surname but in Spain they use "de Grecia" (of Greece) though sometimes I have read just "Grecia". The Prince of Asturias is Felipe de Borbón y Grecia. I think that the SRF are the only ones that have last names.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Nobility

[QUOTE=planetcher]Do the other princesses like Mary, Maxima, Mathilde, and Mette still use their maiden names in official documents and such or their married names?QUOTE]

From what I remember from the time of the wedding, HRH Crown Princess Mary would use Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg if required to do so, however I think she is able to just use "Mary", but certainly not "Donaldson".
Old 07-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Royal Highness

[QUOTE=Von Schlesian]
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcher
Do the other princesses like Mary, Maxima, Mathilde, and Mette still use their maiden names in official documents and such or their married names?QUOTE]

From what I remember from the time of the wedding, HRH Crown Princess Mary would use Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg if required to do so, however I think she is able to just use "Mary", but certainly not "Donaldson".
Mette-Marit would also use Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Commoner

Does Denamark and Norway really have the same name? I don't beleive it.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by keira_jeanne
Does Denamark and Norway really have the same name? I don't beleive it.
When Norway became an independent nation in 1905, they selected a Danish prince to be their king.

Also, Greece selected a Danish prince to be their king in 1863; and I believe the Greek royals have this as a name as well.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:05 AM

Real last names of the Monarchy

The real last names of our Monarchs are rarely found but are an important part of history and their origins. Who can say for example the real last name for Romanov of Russia, Friedrich of Prussia, Windsor of England ect... I'm especially interested in Friedrich. (Prussia)
Old 05-20-2006, 05:05 AM
Nobility

Are you questioning the existing family names? Eg: Romanov, Hohenzollern von Preussen and Windsor?
Old 05-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
When Norway became an independent nation in 1905, they selected a Danish prince to be their king.

Also, Greece selected a Danish prince to be their king in 1863; and I believe the Greek royals have this as a name as well.
Errm... I don't think that it was actually the Greeks who selected George, the Danish prince, to be their King. Nor did they select Otto, his Bavarian predecessor some thirty years earlier. It was the super powers of the time who decided on their behalf, as the descendants of Aristotle, Plato, Aeschylus were considered far too primitive to have a say!

As for the name of the greek royals, I believe they do not accept they should have what would be commonly known as a surname. This has been a bone of contention with the greek governement who will only issue passports to people with full names...
Old 05-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Nobility

does anyone know about the Japanese Royal Family's last name?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
And I believe the Greek royals use "Glucksberg" when absolutely required to have a last name.
The name 'Glücksburg' is used in a derogatory manner by the Greeks to emphasise how non-greek the greek Royal Family are! That is when they don't refer to Constantine as 'the ex' ('o Teos')
Old 05-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphills
does anyone know about the Japanese Royal Family's last name?
The Japanese Imperial Family has no surname.
http://www.etoile.co.uk/Japan/Faq.html
Old 05-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Commoner

Does anybody know the name of the Bristish Royal House before it was changed to Winsor
Old 05-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal005
Does anybody know the name of the Bristish Royal House before it was changed to Winsor
Before Prince Albert of Hannover, after Albert of Saxe-Cburg-Gotha or Wettin.
"The House of Windsor, previously known as the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, is the Royal House of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland etc.
The German name had come via Queen Victoria's marriage to Prince Albert, son of Duke Erns I of SCandG, in February 1840. Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, however, wasn't the Prince Consort's personal surname, but the territory ruled by his family; his house, and possibly even his surname, was Wettin."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Windsor
Old 05-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Commoner

After Albert of hannover, i guess Saxe-couburg-gotha was before Winsor but why did they have that name when it was Queen Victoria on the throne, cause if it goes like that then the Royal house should be Moutbatten, shouldnt it?
Old 05-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal005
After Albert of hannover, i guess Saxe-couburg-gotha was before Winsor but why did they have that name when it was Queen Victoria on the throne, cause if it goes like that then the Royal house should be Moutbatten, shouldnt it?
Mountbatten-Windsor is the personal surname of some of the descendants of Queen Elizabeth II and Duke of Edinburgh. The official name of the British RF or Royal Houseis Windsor.
The change of surname does not apply to members of the RF who are not descended from the Queen. The Order specifically applies the surname to those descendants of the EII not holding Royal styles and titles but in practice it is used by all the British Royal Family descended from Queen as their surname, as shown at the marriages of the Prince Andrew and the Princess Anne, when both used Mountbatten-Windsor in their entries in the marriage registers.

More about royal surnames http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page3379.asp