The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-07-2003, 11:50 AM
Nobility

What is a FAMILY name and what is a HOUSE name? Which is the diffetrence between them? Or the similarity? I never knew that.
And what about this: Hannover is the same as Brauschweig-Lüneburg ? Is one of the names a family name and the other part a house name?

Old 11-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Nobility

And what are Hannover = Braunschweig-Lüneburg = Welf ?

Old 11-07-2003, 12:35 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandra@Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:50 am
What is a FAMILY name and what is a HOUSE name? Which is the diffetrence between them? Or the similarity? I never knew that.
And what about this: Hannover is the same as Brauschweig-Lüneburg ? Is one of the names a family name and the other part a house name?
Let us take one example first-
In the UK, the Royal's last [ family] name is Windsor, it also happens [in this case] that Windsor is their House name. HM The Queen's last name IS Windsor and the name of this reigning House is also Windsor.

Now for another exmple-
In Belgium the Royal's last [family] name is Wettin, but in this case their House name is Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

To explain it another way, at some time in the past most Royal Families had a last name just like you or I. Such as Smith or Jones [or Wettin]. Most Royal's retain this family name. Their House name is usually derived from the area of land that they ruled over at one time or another. This House name is more closely associated with these families, although they still retain their last [family] names.

As for your question about Hanover and Brunswick-Luneberg. They are House names associated with the family whose last name is Guelf.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:53 PM
Royal Highness

My impression is, there are three names that have evolved in this discussion, namely:
i) House name
ii) (House) Family name. I think this is what Tommix has been posting.
iii) (Passport) family name. This is what I was referring to, namely ....

... in regards to the UK Royals, I understand it is because of some passport requirement of around the 1950's? that they were 'compelled' to select the name "Windsor" as their family name.

With the House of Hannover, two points
1.) If the European Court of Human Rights uses the family name "von Hannover", then in officialese their name is 'von Hannover'. That is the name that (I presume) is printed in their passports.
2.) With respect to Guelf, I think there might be a spelling mistake here. I think the real spelling is
a. "Guelpf" (German practice that 'pf' is pronounced as 'f&#39 or
b. "Guelph" (also the name of a town in Ontario, Canada), but I'm not an expert.

And as Tommix has mentioned, the Royal Houses can have many names. The reason being that over time (before World War One) they collected property by war/treaty, they married into it, or it was given to them.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Gentry

:flower: Since Burke's Peerage is published in the English language, they would naturally use the Anglisied version of German names. So Guelf is the correct spelling [in English].

You are correct about von Hanover in the fact that in Germany today the government does not recognize any former German royal or noble titles, so von Hanover is how that family is known to the German government. That being said, it does not alter the fact that their original family name is Guelf.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 7th, 2003 - 11:53 am
... in regards to the UK Royals, I understand it is because of some passport requirement of around the 1950's? that they were 'compelled' to select the name "Windsor" as their family name.
:flower: Your assumption is incorrect. Windsor IS thier surname AND the House name. Please look at this website to see Letters Patent issused in 1917 by HM George V-
http://www.heraldica.org/faqs/britfaq.html#p2-1
Old 11-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for the reference to the year of 1917, Tommix. That was the principle reason why I put a "?" after the year I mentioned, because I couldn't remember if it was something that happened around the end of the First World War, or after the Second World War.

Thank you for your tenacity in setting the record straight. :)
Old 11-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 7th, 2003 - 1:00 pm
Thanks for the reference to the year of 1917, Tommix. That was the principle reason why I put a "?" after the year I mentioned, because I couldn't remember if it was something that happened around the end of the First World War, or after the Second World War.

Thank you for your tenacity in setting the record straight. :)
You, and the other members are quite welcome. I like to be of service whenever I can! :flower:
Old 11-08-2003, 02:41 AM
Cherry_Jubilee_Alibi

Tommix, you are a gem. I enjoy reading your posts. :flower:
Old 11-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by TOMMIX+Nov 7th, 2003 - 6:35 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TOMMIX @ Nov 7th, 2003 - 6:35 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Alexandra@Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:50 am
Let us take one example first-
In the UK, the Royal&#39;s last [ family] name is Windsor, it also happens [in this case] that Windsor is their House name. HM The Queen&#39;s last name IS Windsor and the name of this reigning House is also Windsor.

Now for another exmple-
In Belgium the Royal&#39;s last [family] name is Wettin, but in this case their House name is Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

To explain it another way, at some time in the past most Royal Families had a last name just like you or I. Such as Smith or Jones [or Wettin]. Most Royal&#39;s retain this family name. Their House name is usually derived from the area of land that they ruled over at one time or another. This House name is more closely associated with these families, although they still retain their last [family] names.

As for your question about Hanover and Brunswick-Luneberg. They are House names associated with the family whose last name is Guelf. [/b][/quote]
Thank you, Tommix for the good explanation.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:17 AM
Aristocracy

Actually the Royal Family of Hanover&#39;s last name is GUELPH, not HANNOVER. Take a look in Vanity Faire at Prince Ernst-August, Guelph is the family name.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally posted by Cherry_Jubilee_Alibi@Nov 8th, 2003 - 1:41 am
Tommix, you are a gem.&nbsp; I enjoy reading your posts.&nbsp; &nbsp; :flower:
Thank you for your kind words. I&#39;m am gratified to think that others derive enjoyment from my posts. I try to make them interesting and as accurate as possible.

[Also to you, Alexandra, you are most welcome. I&#39;m glad to be of assistance]. :flower:
Old 11-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Royal Highness

Despite all these contributions from worthy readers, I find I am now more confused then before, about all these names.

Would it be possible to do separate posts, where for each House there is
- one list for all the House names, and a
- second list for the family surname(s) ?
Old 11-28-2003, 02:31 PM

The Belgian royal family is the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and Saalfeld (this last name they lose at the end of the 19th century).

The Saxe-Coburg-Gotha royal house also ruled over Bulgaria (Saxe-Coburg-Kóhary) and Portugal (Saxe-Coburg-Bragança).

The British royal family also is the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, but they changed their name German names during WWI for the British name Windsor, as protest against the Germans. So actually the current British Royal Family are the Coburgs, only with another name.

The Coburgs who live in Germany, the Dukes and Earls of Saxe-Coburg, aren&#39;t members of any Royal Family in Europe, and they use the name Wettin as last name when they are in common.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:50 PM
Serene Highness

Question directed towards Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg... how did you come up with that name... are you a fan of the German royals?? We were just discussing Princess Alexandra being the Duches of Brunswick-Luneburg in another forum... just curious...
Old 11-30-2003, 02:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Helen88@Nov 4th, 2003 - 3:55 pm
I know the Swedish royal family´s name is Bernadotte, but what about all the other ones? Does anyone know?
Isn&#39;t the last name Bertil?? I read a magazine who used that name as last name for princess Madeleine.

I had always thought that the Sweden were Bernadottes,.....
Old 11-30-2003, 03:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Nov 4th, 2003 - 12:55 pm
Sweden:Bernadotte
Norway: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Danmark: Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
GB: Windsor
Netherlands: Oranien-Nassau or oranje-Nassau
Belgium: Sachsen-Coburg
Spain: Bourbon
Luxemburg: Nassau
Monaco:Grimaldi

But I don´t know the name of Liechtenstein-family.
The royal hous in denmark don´t youse the names Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg any more BUT only the name Glücksburg.
The names Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg the royal house lost when Denmark went to war in 1863 aginst Germany.
We lost a quit big part of Denmark when we lost the war. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Old 11-30-2003, 03:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally posted by TOMMIX+Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:31 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TOMMIX @ Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:31 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandria@Nov 7th, 2003 - 10:09 am
<!--QuoteBegin-TOMMIX
Quote:
@Nov 4th, 2003 - 4:30 pm
Belgium-* * * *&nbsp; Wettin

I don&#39;t think I ever knew the Belgian royals last name before. Interesting TOMMIX, thanks&#33;

Quote:
Greece-* * * * ** Oldenburg
Where does Glucksenberg come in? I read that most often, though Oldenburg is part of a longer name.
Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg is the HOUSE name of both Denmark&#39;s and Greece&#39;s Royals. Their FAMILY name is Oldenburg.
As I noted in several previous postings the HOUSE name and the FAMILY names are not always the same.
The poster who began this thread was asking for the FAMILY names not the House names. :flower: [/b][/quote]
Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg is the HOUSE name of both Denmark&#39;s and Greece&#39;s Royals. Their FAMILY name is Oldenburg.
No No this is a wrong information you are giving the other members in her.
The rigth name for the royal family in Denmark are NOT Oldenburg BUT Glúcksborg.
If you not trust me then look at this web page: www.kongehuset.dk
ther you haf your answer.

Old 12-03-2003, 05:20 PM

Haha thanks for the question, but it has nothing to do with German royals or something like that, it&#39;s just a name I chosed as nickname. I find it a good name, but I&#39;m not fan of the German royals. I just liked the name...

Kind regards....
Old 12-04-2003, 07:58 PM
Heir Apparent

And then you have the story of then Crown Prince Olav of Norway and his trip to Sweden to get engaged to Märtha. The papers were absolutely certain that he was travelling with a false passport, since none of them had found him out... But he had a correct one with the name: Olav Haakonsen... ie. Olav son of Haakon.