Rules of Succession

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrownPrinceLorenzo

Aristocracy
City
Bensenville
Country
United States
Can someone give me what kind of Order of Succession the royal families of the world have?

I only know of the following:

Imperial Family of Japan = Salic Law
Royal Family of United Kingdom = Male Primogeniture
Royal Family of Denmark = Male Primogeniture
Royal Family of Sweden = Full Linear Succession
Princely Family of Lichtenstein = Semi-Salic Law
Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg = Semi-Salic Law

I'm especially interested about Middle Eastern Royals' succession laws.

Norway = Full Linear Succession
Belgium = Full Linear Succession
Holland = Full Linear Succession

I think Tonga is Full Linear Succession as in 1900 Queen Salote succeeded her Father King George II despite having two younger brothers.

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
Obviously for now male relatives are the only candidates for succession! :rolleyes: Yet, there seems to be no precendent of succession through primogeniture. Other people will know more, but it seems to go to the most suitable candidate rather then the next male in line.

Spain = Male Primogeniture

So...

Norway is full succession? I thought it wasn't 'coz the current crown prince is younger than his sister isn't he? Or did they change it?

Anymore succession guys/gals?

How about the African royals? And the other Asian royals?

And are ALL Middle Eastern royals male-only succession?

Is Monacco also a Semi-Salic?

Last edited:
CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
Norway is full succession? I thought it wasn't 'coz the current crown prince is younger than his sister isn't he? Or did they change it?
The Norwegian law changed in 1990, to allow women to acceede to the throne. Unlike in Sweden, where the change in laws were retroactive enough to put Victoria ahead of Carl-Philip, it was deemed in Norway that that would be an extremely strange way of doing it, as Haakon and Märtha both were old enough to be aware of the situation.

The exact wording of the law, in English:

Article 6:
The order of succession is lineal, so that only a child born in lawful wedlock of the Queen or King, or of one who is herself or himself entitled to the succession may succeed, and so that the nearest line shall take precedence over the more remote and the elder in the line over the younger.

An unborn child shall also be included among those entitled to the succession and shall immediately take her or his proper place in the line of succession as soon as she or he is born into the world.

The right of succession shall not, however, belong to any person who is not born in the direct line of descent from the last reigning Queen or King or a sister or brother thereof, or is herself or himself a sister or brother thereof.

When a Princess or Prince entitled to succeed to the Crown of Norway is born, her or his name and time of birth shall be notified to the first Storting in session and be entered in the record of its proceedings.

For those born before the year 1971, Article 6 of the Constitution as it was passed on 18 November 1905 shall, however, apply. For those born before the year 1990 it shall nevertheless be the case that a male shall take precedence over a female.
- http://odin.dep.no/odin/engelsk/norway/system/032005-990424/

This is why the Norwegian line of succession ends at Leah Isadora Behn, and doesn't include Princess Ragnhild and her descendants, and Princess Astrid and her descendants.

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:

Jordan:

Article 28 of the Jordan constitution says the following:

"The Royal title shall pass from the holder of the Throne to his eldest son, and to the eldest son of that son and in linear succession by a similar process thereafter. Should the eldest son die before the Throne devolves upon him, his eldest son shall inherit the Throne, despite the existence of brothers to the deceased son.
The King may, however, select one of his brothers as heir apparent. In this event, title to the Throne shall pass to him from the holder of the Throne.”

The last clause was an amendment of 1965. It became part of the constitution then to handle a special difficult situation (several assassination attempts against King Hussein while his eldest son was still a toddler).

Morocco: Male primogeniture

In Kuwait the position of emir should actually alternate between the two main branches of the ruling Sabah family: the Jaber branch, of which the late emir Jaber (who died last month) was a member, and the Salem branch. Crown Prince Sheikh Sabah of the Salem branch became automatically emir after the death of Jaber, but he was ousted after a few days by a vote of the Kuwaiti parliament because of his poor health (as not fit for the throne). The new emir is now (since last week) Sheikh Saad, again a member of the Jaber branch.

Veram98 said:
Morocco: Male primogeniture

So Morocco has had female Monarchs before?

Veram98 said:
In Kuwait the position of emir should actually alternate between the two main branches of the ruling Sabah family: the Jaber branch, of which the late emir Jaber (who died last month) was a member, and the Salem branch. Crown Prince Sheikh Sabah of the Salem branch became automatically emir after the death of Jaber, but he was ousted after a few days by a vote of the Kuwaiti parliament because of his poor health (as not fit for the throne). The new emir is now (since last week) Sheikh Saad, again a member of the Jaber branch.

So basically, they don't pass from father to son then?

So what about Monacco? Is it Semi-Salic law?

Thailand?

How about the non-reigning Royal Houses like Serbia-Yugoslavia?

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
So what about Monaco? Is it Semi-Salic law?
Thailand?
How about the non-reigning Royal Houses like Serbia-Yugoslavia?
Monaco: male primogeniture with female succession (same as UK and Denmark);
Thailand: at the discretion of the King;
Serbia-Montenegro, formerly Yugoslavia: Salic Law.
Princely Family of Lichtenstein = Semi-Salic Law
Article 12 of the Fürstenhaus Liechtenstein House Laws states "Succession to the throne...shall be governed by the principle of primogeniture. This means that the first-born male of the eldest line is always called to suceed to the throne." ie Salic Law.

Hello

Well from Wikipedia.org it says Primogeniture and Male Primogeniture are the same thing.

And it also says in Wikipedia that Liechtenstein uses Semi-Salic law.

So I'm confused now.

As for Thailand, can he choose a female heir then? Thanks btw.

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
And it also says in Wikipedia that Liechtenstein uses Semi-Salic law.
So I'm confused now.
There is no confusion.

From The Princely House of Liechtenstein website here .

"The Succession to the Throne

The line of succession and the succession to the throne was regulated in 1606 by family treaty. The primogeniture-succession or the right of the first born was introduced then. In this line of succession the main property of the House and further privileges (eg the title, the archives of the House and the collections) are inherited by the first male born of the oldest family line. The first born son of the respectively ruling prince achieves by birth the right of succession to the throne for him and for his male descendants."

There is nothing "semi-Salic" about the Liechtenstein succession. Females don't get a look-in.

Okay thanks.

Thanks for clearing it up, wikipedia.org got it wrong then. Wouldn't be the first time.

we are also trying in Denmark to make the law of succesion as it is in Norway and Sweden

betina said:
we are also trying in Denmark to make the law of succesion as it is in Norway and Sweden
Prince Christian's birth thwarted some of the rush that was around it, and a lot of the media hype.

What's meant by ''semi salic''?

asma said:
What's meant by ''semi salic''?
Male succession in the first instance, female if the male line or lines become extinct. Alternatively, sons first, daughters second. The usual term is 'male primogeniture'.

I think that semi-sallic means that the rights to the throne are extended to ALL men in line to the throne before any women.

For example, if Denmark were semi-sallic, then Queen Margarethe's male cousins would have been in line before her, though the possibility for a female monarch would still have been theoretically possible if there were absolutely no eligible males. So semi-sallic is similar but not exactly the same as male primogeniture.

Spain = Male Primogeniture

Am I correct, this means male children are in the line first before their female sisters (like in Elena, Christina and Felipes case).

Is this still valid for Leonor, Sofia and siblings to come? If it is... why are they making such a big fuzz about a boy? They do have an heir (heiress), don't they?

Last edited:
Full equal primogenture -Beligum,Nepal,Netherland,Norway and Sweden allows both females and males. The eldest child regardless of sex inherits the throne.

Male prinogenture - Japan. Jordan, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Moroccco, Saudi Arabia, and Swaziland. This is type of succession no females are allowed in the line of sucession. Only males are allowed in type of succession.

Primogenture - Denmark, Monaco, Spain, and The United Kingdom. This type of succession goes by the eldest son of the monarch if there is no son the line is head by the eldest daughter. Their male descents go ahead of their female descents and other family members included in the line of succession.

Last edited:
I think Tonga is Full Linear Succession as in 1900 Queen Salote succeeded her Father King George II despite having two younger brothers.

They use Male preference as all. If there is a male, even if he is younger, he is the next in the line. George II was succeded by his daughter because she was the only surviving child. The king had no sons.

"Queen Takipō had still not brought forth a son. One daughter, ʻOnelua, had died a few months after her birth; another child, ʻElisiva Fusipala Taukiʻonetuku, was still alive, but was a girl too. The hope the envying chiefs had had on an heir through Takipō was fading, and Sālote's supporters' hope rose."

Question about succession in Tudor England

I hope this is the right place for this! :)

I'm writing a General Hospital fanfiction set in AU Tudor England(don't judge me lol). I have a question about succession in England:

In my story, England is ruled by King Edward. His only son, Alan Sr., is dead. Alan had two sons - Alan Jr. and Jason. Before his death, Alan Sr. was Prince of Wales. I hope I'm correct in assuming that the Prince of Wales title would then pass to Alan Jr. since Alan Sr. was the only son of Edward.

Alan Jr. married and had a son, Michael, but then Alan Jr. died. So, who would be next in the line of succession - Jason or Michael?

Thanks so much for any help with this!

I assume Alan Jr. is older than Jason? If that is the case, Alan Jr. and all of his descendants (so Michael included) would be ahead of Jason in the line of succession. If Michael dies without children and he's an only child, or none of Michael's siblings had children, then and only then (short of abdications) would the throne pass to Jason and his descendants.
Also note: While Prince of Wales is the traditional title of the heir apparent, it is not automatic. Prince Charles had been heir apparent since 1952 but did not receive the title of Prince of Wales until 1958 and his investiture did not take place until 1969.

I assume Alan Jr. is older than Jason? If that is the case, Alan Jr. and all of his descendants (so Michael included) would be ahead of Jason in the line of succession. If Michael dies without children and he's an only child, or none of Michael's siblings had children, then and only then (short of abdications) would the throne pass to Jason and his descendants.
Also note: While Prince of Wales is the traditional title of the heir apparent, it is not automatic. Prince Charles had been heir apparent since 1952 but did not receive the title of Prince of Wales until 1958 and his investiture did not take place until 1969.

Thank you SO MUCH! This has been driving me crazy for days!

Back
Top Bottom