Rules of Succession

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
Liechtenstein's succession is agnatic primogeniture which excludes all females. The succession is based on Article 12 of the House Law of the Liechtensteiner Princely Family. The line of the succession is limited to the direct agnatic (male-line) descendants of Prince Johann I of Liechtenstein.

In Europe, absolute primogeniture reflects how society has evolved. It's also interesting to note that countries which adopted equal primogeniture the earliest (Norway, Sweden, Belgium) previously had Salic Law (excepting the Netherlands). ... Denmark, which had male preference primogeniture only very recently changed the law.
Salic Law was not adopted in Sweden until 1810 (Bernadotte family chosen as kings), changed to absolute primogeniture in 1980.
In Denmark Salic Law was adopted in 1853 (Glücksburg branch chosen as kings), which was changed in 1953 to male-preference primogeniture to allow princess Margarethe to become heir. In 2009 it was changed to absolute primogeniture.

The heirs to the thrones of Europe are well known, but who is next in line? The modernization of succession laws will result in the first female dominated generation of heirs. Below we outline the next-in-line children, the heirs that stand before them, and the succession laws.
Royalty 101

Succession

I'm very interested in Asian and European royal succession and how it works, and the requirements to not be considered "morganic" in some countries. Both disposed and non-disposed succession laws are acceptable, although I'm more interested in the disposed royal families succession laws more. Links would be helpful, if that's alright. ;)

Last edited:
Something I've read ( don't remember where?) that there are 7 Malaysian families and each take turns to rule. So if the head of family 1 is king now after his demise his descendant doesn't inherit the throne but the head of family 2 does.

Something I've read ( don't remember where?) that there are 7 Malaysian families and each take turns to rule. So if the head of family 1 is king now after his demise his descendant doesn't inherit the throne but the head of family 2 does.

The 'King' or Yang di-Pertuan Agong is elected for a five-year term by and from among the nine Rulers of the Malay states. The 'King' cannot be re-elected again until all other 8 rules have served a term.

I'm very interested in Asian and European royal succession and how it works, and the requirements to not be considered "morganic" in some countries. Both disposed and non-disposed succession laws are acceptable, although I'm more interested in the disposed royal families succession laws more. Links would be helpful, if that's alright.

Almost every section on this website contains a thread about the individual countries succession laws.

There are various succession laws see here. Each country has different laws, such as in the UK the succession is dictated by male primogeniture and not equal such as in Denmark, Norway, Sweden etc.

Norway = Full Linear Succession
Belgium = Full Linear Succession
Holland = Full Linear Succession

Here is a summary of succession rules in different European monarchies.

1) United Kingdom and Commonwealth Realms

Eligibility to the throne: legitimate Protestant descendants of Sophia, Electress of Hanover. In addition, the monarch must be in communion with the established (Anglican Episcopal) Church of England.

Order of Succession: equal primogeniture for persons born after October 28, 2011; otherwise, male-preference cognatic primogeniture.

Grounds for exclusion from the line of succession: conversion to the Roman Catholic faith (previously, also marriage to Catholics); entering into marriage without the consent of the monarch declared in Council (note: the latter rule applies only to the first six persons in line to the throne and the exclusion extends to all legitimate descendants of the marriage).

Minimum age to assume the royal prerogative: 18; until then, the royal prerogative is exercised by a regent who must be the next person in the line of succession who is of "full age", is a British subject domiciled in the United Kingdom, and is not disqualified from succeeding to the Crown.

Vacancy of the throne: ?

2) Kingdom of the Netherlands

Eligibility to the throne: legitimate descendants of King Willem I, Prince of Orange-Nassau, who are not removed from the current monarch by more than three degrees of consanguinity (i.e. children, grandchildren, siblings, nephews/nieces, aunts/uncles, and, if any, great-grandchildren of the monarch).

Order of Succession: equal primogeniture.

Grounds for exclusion from the line of succession: entering into marriage without the consent of the Dutch parliament given in the form of a law passed by both houses of parliament in a joint session (note: the exclusion in that case extends to any children born of that marriage and their issue). Exceptionally, one or more individual persons may be also excluded from the hereditary succession by Act of Parliament if exceptional circumstances require and such exclusion is approved by two-thirds of the votes cast in a joint session of the two houses of parliament.

Minimum age to assume the royal prerogative: 18 ; until then, the royal prerogative is exercised by a regent appointed by an act of parliament passed in a joint session of the two houses.

Vacancy of the throne: if there is no person qualified to succeed, the current monarch may propose his successor in the form of a bill introduced in parliament. The two houses of parliament are subsequently dissolved and the newly convened houses meet in joint session in order to decide on the bill. The bill is accepted only if at least two-thirds of the votes cast are in favor.

3) Kingdom of Sweden

Eligibility to the throne: currently, only legitimate descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf. In addition, the monarch must be a member of the (Evangelical Lutheran) Church of Sweden.

Order of Succession: equal primogeniture.

Grounds for exclusion from the line of succession (extending to the excluded person's descendants): entering into marriage without the consent of the Swedish government given upon application by the monarch; becoming the head of state or government of a foreign country without the consent of the monarch and the parliament of Sweden; not being a member of the (Evangelical Lutheran) Church of Sweden; and not being raised in Sweden.

Minimum age to assume the royal prerogative: 18 ; until then, the royal prerogative is exercised by a regent appointed by the parliament of Sweden.

Vacancy of the throne: if the Royal House becomes extinct, the parliament of Sweden elects a regent to perform the duties of Head of State until further notice; parliament is no longer required though to elect a new royal house to replace the former one upon its extinction.

4) Kingdom of Norway

Eligibility to the throne: legitimate descendants of the current monarch; siblings of the current monarch; and legitimate descendants of siblings of the current monarch. In addition, the monarch must profess the Evangelical Lutheran religion.

Order of Succession: agnatic primogeniture for persons born before 1971; male-preference cognatic primogeniture for persons born between 1971 and 1989; equal primogeniture for persons born in or after 1990.

Grounds for exclusion from the line of succession (extending to all descendants): entering into marriage without the consent of the monarch; becoming the head of state or government of a foreign country without the consent of the monarch and two-thirds of the members of the Norwegian parliament.

Minimum age to assume the royal prerogative: 18 (?); if the monarch is under age, the Council of State summons the parliament to make provisions for the government of the kingdom during his/her minority.
Vacancy of the throne: f there is no prince or princess entitled to the succession, the monarch may propose his/her successor to parliament, which has the right to make the choice if the King's proposal is not accepted. If the Royal Line has become extinct and no successor to the throne has been previously designated, then a new Queen or King must be necessarily chosen by parliament . Meanwhile, the royal prerogative is exercised temporarily by the Council of State.

5) Kingdom of Spain

Eligibility to the throne: currently, only legitimate descendants of King Juan Carlos I of Borbon.

Order of Succession: male-preference cognatic primogeniture.

Grounds for exclusion from the line of succession: entering into marriage against the explicit prohibition of the monarch and the Spanish parliament. Voluntary renunciations of succession rights are possible only if ratified by organic law.

Minimum age to assume the royal prerogative: 18 (?) ; until then, the surviving mother or father, or relative of legal age who is nearest in line to the throne immediately assumes the office of Regent. If there is no person who can exercise the regency, a council of regents is appointed by the parliament consisting of one, three, or five persons.

Vacancy of the throne: if there are no legally qualified persons to ascend the throne, the parliament shall provide for the succession to the Crown in a manner which, according to the constitution, must be "the best for the interests of Spain".

6) Kingdom of Denmark

Eligibility to the throne: legitimate descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine. In addition, the monarch must belong to the established (Evangelical Lutheran) Church of Denmark.

Order of Succession: male-preference cognatic primogeniture for persons born before June 2009 (?); equal primogeniture for persons born after June 2009.

Grounds for exclusion from the line of succession: entering into marriage without the consent of the monarch expressed in a Council of State; when consenting to the marriage, the monarch can impose conditions that must be met in order for any resulting offspring to have succession rights (e.g. being raised in Denmark).

Minimum age to assume the royal prerogative: 18; provisions relating to the exercising of sovereign power in the event of the minority of the King shall be laid down by Statute.

Vacancy of the throne: if, on the vacancy of the throne, there is no qualified successor, the parliament of Denmark shall elect a monarch and establish the future order of succession to the throne.

7) Kingdom of Belgium

Eligibility to the throne: legitimate descendants of King Leopold I of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

Order of Succession: equal primogeniture for descendants of King Albert II; otherwise, agnatic primogeniture.

Grounds for exclusion from the line of succession: entering into marriage without the consent of the monarch expressed by royal decree (hence, with ministerial countersignature). The exclusion may be reversed though by the monarch with the approval of the two houses of the federal parliament.

Minimum age to assume the royal prerogative: 18 ; until then, the royal prerogative is exercised by a regent appointed by the federal parliament in a joint session of the two houses.

Vacancy of the throne: if there is no person available to succeed, the monarch may name his/her successor with the approval of both houses of the federal parliament, which can only adopt a resolution to that effect if two-thirds of their members are present and upon a two-third majority vote. If the throne is vacant, the two houses meeting in joint session to provide for a temporary regency; following an election, the two newly convened houses meet again in a joint session to provide permanent cover for the vacancy.

Last edited:
In short: all modern monarchies have a limited line of succession. The British one (which else?) is unique with tousands and thousands of heirs.

The number of heirs of the following monarchies:

Japan - 5 heirs
Morocco - 5 heirs
Sweden - 6 heirs
Norway - 7 heirs
The Netherlands - 8 heirs
Spain - 10 heirs
Denmark - 12 heirs
Luxembourg - 12 heirs
Monaco - 12 heirs
Belgium - 14 heirs
Jordan - 24 heirs
Liechtenstein - 53 heirs
The United Kingdom - around 5000 heirs

Last edited:
In short: all modern monarchies have a limited line of succession. The British one (which else?) is unique with tousands and thousands of heirs.

The number of heirs of the following monarchies:

Japan - 5 heirs
Morocco - 5 heirs
Sweden - 6 heirs
Norway - 7 heirs
The Netherlands - 8 heirs
Spain - 10 heirs
Denmark - 12 heirs
Luxembourg - 12 heirs
Monaco - 12 heirs
Belgium - 14 heirs
Jordan - 24 heirs
Liechtenstein - 53 heirs
The United Kingdom - around 5000 heirs

The Netherlands and Norway have an explicit limitation to the number of potential successors based on proximity of blood to the current monarch, which prevents the line of succession from growing over time. No such explicit limitation exists, however, in the case of Spain, Sweden, Belgium or Denmark. Over time then, unless new rules are introduced, the line of succession in those latter countries will keep growing exponentially.

I suppose the royal family could, however, self-limit the order of succession if all persons in more distant collateral lines got married without asking for royal approval, as I believe Prince Amedeo of Belgium did, therefore excluding himself and all his future children and their respective descendants.

Last edited:
I agree.

I think the children of Princess Madeleine will not request permission. Maybe eventual children of Prince Carl Philip will request permission when their aunt Princess Victoria still has only one child.

I expect that the De Marichalars and the Urdangaríns will not request permission when they engage in a marriage.

I think that we will see a reform on the titulature of "Prince (Princess) of Belgium" (as this title is hereditary in both the male and the female lineage and will explode in numbers when there is no reform). Besides that Archduke Amedeo has set the example and I expect his siblings, as well the children of their uncle Prince Laurent not to request permission either.

The current Spanish line of succession is limited to descendants of King Juan Carlos I otherwise it would be much longer.

The current Spanish line of succession is limited to descendants of King Juan Carlos I otherwise it would be much longer.

Actually i have read that it says the successors of King Juan Carlos I. but it isn't clear if this only includes his own descendants

In what monarchies was it a requirement that the heir to the throne be born in that country and also reside in that country?

Female members of the British Royal Family will be given equality with men in rules of succession to the throne

Not unless the line died out all but them.But I wish they would have female rulers in the middle east why not? Muslims say men and women are equal why is being female means you can carry your father's name if your the oldest child???? Or the only child???
They have enough sons for the lineage not to end so I don’t see the problem.

Hypothetical- Succession to the brother of the king instead of the son

Hello everyone!
I'm new here :) I recently developed an interest to the monarchy system and I'm glad to have found this forum, I've found already a lot of answers!

I have an hypothetical question though:

A king dies, survived by her queen and a son who's the prince (adult).
(let's say we are in the UK today).

Is there a way for the brother of the king to get to the throne? (without killing the nephew and her mother??)

I'm guessing he's 2nd in line for the Throne, correct?

Is there a law, or rule where he can say that the prince is incompetent and take the throne for himself?

Sorry for the weird question:lol:

Not unless the line died out all but them.But I wish they would have female rulers in the middle east why not? Muslims say men and women are equal why is being female means you can carry your father's name if your the oldest child???? Or the only child???

They have enough sons for the lineage not to end so I don’t see the problem.

The part of royalsmartie's post about female rulership in the Middle East was about gender equality, not the lineage ending, so I don't see how having enough sons solves the problem of gender inequality.

Last edited:
That would naturally depend on the factors involved in the succession to that specific monarchy, including what the laws of succession are (does the brother have a better legal claim than the son?) and its political situation (e.g., is the son politically less popular than the brother?).

There is a general thread for rules of royal succession so you may want to ask your question there.

Rules of Succession

Hello everyone!
I'm new here :) I recently developed an interest to the monarchy system and I'm glad to have found this forum, I've found already a lot of answers!

I have an hypothetical question though:

A king dies, survived by her queen and a son who's the prince (adult).
(let's say we are in the UK today).

Is there a way for the brother of the king to get to the throne? (without killing the nephew and her mother??)

I'm guessing he's 2nd in line for the Throne, correct?

Is there a law, or rule where he can say that the prince is incompetent and take the throne for himself?

Sorry for the weird question:lol:

The most successions follow the closest order of consanguity:

1. The King

1.1 eldest child of the King
1.1.1 first child of the eldest child of the King
1.1.2 second child of the eldest child of the King
1.1.3 third child of the eldest child of the King

1.2 Second child of the King
1.2.1 first child of the second eldest child of the King
1.2.2 second child of the second eldest child of the King
1.2.3 third child of the second eldest child of the King

1.3 Third child of the King
1.3.1 first child of the third eldest child of the King
1.3.2 second child of the third eldest child of the King
1.3.3 third child of the third eldest child of the King

2. Eldest sibling of the King

2.1 eldest child of the eldest sibling of the King
2.1.1 first child of the first child of the first sibling of the King
2.1.2 second child of the first child of the first sibling of the King
2.1.3 third child of the first child of the first sibling of the King

2.2 second child of the eldest sibling of the King
2.2.1 first child of the second child of the first sibling of the King
2.2.2 second child of the second child of the first sibling of the King
2.2.3 third child of the second child of the first sibling of the King

Etc. Etc. Etc.

In some Constitutions a successor can be excluded from the succession indeed. In my country (the Netherlands) by engaging into marriage without an Act of Consent. Or by Parliament voting (with a 2/3rd majority) to abjure a successor.

Last edited:
That would naturally depend on the factors involved in the succession to that specific monarchy, including what the laws of succession are (does the brother have a better legal claim than the son?) and its political situation (e.g., is the son politically less popular than the brother?).

There is a general thread for rules of royal succession so you may want to ask your question there.

Rules of Succession

thank you ! i'll ask there as well!
Yes, let's say that the prince is less popular than the brother politically speaking!

is there a monarchy where the brother can have a better legal claim than the son of the king?

The most successions follow the closest order of consanguity:

1. The King

1.1 eldest child of the King
1.1.1 first child of the eldest child of the King
1.1.2 second child of the eldest child of the King
1.1.3 third child of the eldest child of the King

1.2 Second child of the King
1.2.1 first child of the second eldest child of the King
1.2.2 second child of the second eldest child of the King
1.2.3 third child of the second eldest child of the King

1.3 Third child of the King
1.3.1 first child of the third eldest child of the King
1.3.2 second child of the third eldest child of the King
1.3.3 third child of the third eldest child of the King

2. Eldest sibling of the King

2.1 eldest child of the eldest sibling of the King
2.1.1 first child of the first child of the first sibling of the King
2.1.2 second child of the first child of the first sibling of the King
2.1.3 third child of the first child of the first sibling of the King

2.2 second child of the eldest sibling of the King
2.2.1 first child of the second child of the first sibling of the King
2.2.2 second child of the second child of the first sibling of the King
2.2.3 third child of the second child of the first sibling of the King

Etc. Etc. Etc.

In some Constitutions a successor can be excluded from the succession indeed. In my country (the Netherlands) by engaging into marriage without an Act of Consent. Or by Parliament voting (with a 2/3rd majority) to abjure a successor.

thank you!
oh yes, so the parliament can decide that the prince isn't fit to rule and give the throne to the king's brother!
this seems the most doable indeed.
So the wife of the deceased king and her son will be stripped of their titles? or the will mantain their royal status but wihtout the possibility to ever get back to the throne?

thank you!
oh yes, so the parliament can decide that the prince isn't fit to rule and give the throne to the king's brother!
So the wife of the deceased king and her son will be stripped of their titles? or the will mantain their royal status but wihtout the possibility to ever get back to the throne?

Parliament can rule that a successor looses his rights but even then not automatically the King's brother will inherit.

Imagine that the British Parliament votes to have the Prince of Wales is stripped of his rights. Then not his brother Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, will become the successor, but the eldest child of the Prince of Wales: Prince George. Then Princess Charlotte. Then Prince Louis.

(But most likely such a vote will lead to the fall of the monarchy anyway).

Last edited:
Parliament can rule that a successor looses his rights but even then not automatically the King's brother will inherit.

Imagine that the British Parliament votes to have the Prince of Wales is stripped of his rights. Then not his brother Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, will become the successor, but the eldest child of the Prince of Wales: Prince George. Then Princess Charlotte. Then Prince Louis.

(But most likely such a vote will lead to the fall of the monarchy anyway).

ok I see, it might go to Harry only if William didn't have children basically

is there a monarchy where the brother can have a better legal claim than the son of the king?

I think the Saudi tradition until recently was to appoint a brother of the king as heir, although legally any male member of the royal family is eligible be appointed.

The part of royalsmartie's post about female rulership in the Middle East was about gender equality, not the lineage ending, so I don't see how having enough sons solves the problem of gender inequality.
It won’t be an issue of gender quality that they would ever change it, but only if there were no sons. And I highly doubt that just because “men and women are equal in Islam” doesn’t necessarily mean they equal in every way. Men and women carry the name of their fathers so I don’t get he point. If the subjects of Gulf rulers want to change the successions, that is up to them and them only.

I think the Saudi tradition until recently was to appoint a brother of the king as heir, although legally any male member of the royal family is eligible be appointed.
In Jordan was well, I believe.

so the brother of the king comes before the son?
or do they have another system to choose?

Saudi succession

so the brother of the king comes before the son?
or do they have another system to choose?

Saudi succession has traditionally been that the eldest (or most capable) male in the family succeed the ruling king. For many decades, the sons of King Abdulaziz have succeeded to the throne. Abdul Aziz died in 1953 and six of his sons have succeeded since. The current king, Salman, is reportedly the 25th son of Abdulaziz, who supposedly had 45 sons.

As the sons of Abdulaziz are aging (King Salman is 87), the next Crown Prince has been chosen from the next generation. Unless he were to change the traditional succession, he will likely be succeeded by a brother (he has at least 11 brothers), though a cousin is also possible.

The selection of the Crown Prince is the decision of the King, but needs the support of the majority of the males in the family, as I understand it.

thank you!
The wife of the deceased king might keep her title of Queen. She might have the title of Queen Dowager.

This reminds me of the Saudi Kingdom customs to select the next king via family meeting and not a father-to-son line.

Back
Top Bottom