Gentry

Monaco

Thank you for explaining that.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora
With the birth of Queen Victoria's baby girl, there is one more female heir to the throne.So, if we put the current reigning royal houses, the female primogeniture generally wins.Here I mean the future royals (as the equal law hasn't been adopted many years ago).But I wish to clarify some questions.
So, I believe all non-European reigning houses don't accept the female heirs. In this way, if I'm not mistaken , there are 10 European reigning monarchies, most of which have female heirs( and mainly equal primogeniture).
1.Britain ( we'll have to wait for the baby of Cambridges, but the equal law seems to be adopted);
2.Belgium ( female heir);
3.Denmark (male heir);
4.Holland (female heir);
5.Norway (female heir);
6.Sweden (female heir);
7.Spain ( I think Leonor will remain heir unless Letizia gives birth to a boy);
8.Monaco ( we'll have to wait);
9.Luxembourg ( we'll have to wait);
10.Liechtenstein ( here I have little knowledge).
In case of European houses I don't know the precise situation with Britain, Monaco and Lichtenstein. Has there been discussed or adopted the equal law?
First off, Queen Victoria? You mean Crown Princess. Equal Law in the UK has not been adopted only proposed and accepted by the 16 commonwealth nations. It will have to be written, examined and debated in 14 of the 16 countries and then pass through each parliament and receive Royal Assent this could take years and I doubt the governments are in any particular rush seeing as we have two Kings ready and waiting.

Also, just to point out Britain already has an heir for this generation of royals William. Charles fits into to the Victoria, Frederik, Haakon generation. A child of William's will be the first future heir for the next next generation.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by titiromi View Post
Yes but Man outrank female so for it's male preference primogeniture
No it is not male primogeninture if there was no females would be in line it is just primogeniture which the eldest son of the reigning monarch is the first in line to the throne.The only way a female would get it no males.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Aristocracy

Well a female being allowed on the throne, is a great idea and could help like in the situation of Japan at the moment. The crownprince only has one daughter, but for some reason I have a male preference primogeniture. I have no idea why and I'm all for equal rights and yes I'm a woman. Perhaps because it had been the tradition in the past. But in my opinion if there are no men or he's unsuited the woman should take over.

Sorry but it's my preference for some reason. So I hope you can all understand that. Also I have no problem the way the things now are organised. Each country should do what is best for their own country and people.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Aristocracy

In Japan, Crown Prince has only one daughter and she is not in the line of the throne. Crown Prince's nephew is the only grandson of the King and he is in the 3rd line. I don't think they will change it because they have a male heir.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:14 PM
Aristocracy

And, what about Spain? Prince Felipe doesn't have a son. Is it needed?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Serene Highness

Will it be changed? The princes have heiresses nor heirs like felipe, willem Alexander and naruhito.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
Will it be changed? The princes have heiresses nor heirs like felipe, willem Alexander and naruhito.
In Japan, it's unlikely seeing as their is a male heir available and in such a traditional country there's no reason to change. The same goes for Spain but the other way round, there's no male heir and a girl being brought up as a future Queen.

As for The Netherlands it doesn't matter, the country has had equal primogenture since 1983.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by imojeen View Post
And, what about Spain? Prince Felipe doesn't have a son. Is it needed?
Females can inherit the Throne, so unless Felipe and Letizia have a son, Leonor will one day become Queen Regnant of Spain.
If it transpires Letizia is pregnant with a boy, I am pretty certain equal primogeniture will be adopted very swiftly; back when Letizia was pregnant with her second daughter, they were quick to announce it was another girl to avoid unnecessary hassle.

As for Japan, the future of Japanese Monarchy effectively rests on the shoulders of a young boy because he is the only male (of his generation) within not only the Emperor's immediate, but also extended family. It is likely some changes will be adopted, possibly granting females right to inherit in total absence of male heirs among all dynasts.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Serene Highness

Liechtenstein is male-only succession I believe or they have a complicated system where if they run out of direct male line descendants, they find a male of the most senior female line of descent or something. I may have muddled that with the previous system in use in Luxembourg prior to the adoption of equal primogeniture.

I'm a pragmatist with regard to succession. The most important thing is the continuity of the institution and to a certain extent, who gets to be monarch has always been influenced by the circumstances in a country and the values of the time as well as the people's consent. In Europe, absolute primogeniture reflects how society has evolved. It's also interesting to note that countries which adopted equal primogeniture the earliest (Norway, Sweden, Belgium) previously had Salic Law (excepting the Netherlands). I assume this is also partially due to the shortage of heirs as well as foresight of where things are going in terms of gender equality. Denmark, which had male preference primogeniture only very recently changed the law. I understand that the UK and Spain don't see it as a political priority because of the legislative hassle it would cause when there are so many other things going on domestically and internationally.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Liechtenstein's succession is agnatic primogeniture which excludes all females. The succession is based on Article 12 of the House Law of the Liechtensteiner Princely Family. The line of the succession is limited to the direct agnatic (male-line) descendants of Prince Johann I of Liechtenstein.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
In Europe, absolute primogeniture reflects how society has evolved. It's also interesting to note that countries which adopted equal primogeniture the earliest (Norway, Sweden, Belgium) previously had Salic Law (excepting the Netherlands). ... Denmark, which had male preference primogeniture only very recently changed the law.
Salic Law was not adopted in Sweden until 1810 (Bernadotte family chosen as kings), changed to absolute primogeniture in 1980.
In Denmark Salic Law was adopted in 1853 (Glücksburg branch chosen as kings), which was changed in 1953 to male-preference primogeniture to allow princess Margarethe to become heir. In 2009 it was changed to absolute primogeniture.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

The heirs to the thrones of Europe are well known, but who is next in line? The modernization of succession laws will result in the first female dominated generation of heirs. Below we outline the next-in-line children, the heirs that stand before them, and the succession laws.
Royalty 101
Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM

Succession

I'm very interested in Asian and European royal succession and how it works, and the requirements to not be considered "morganic" in some countries. Both disposed and non-disposed succession laws are acceptable, although I'm more interested in the disposed royal families succession laws more. Links would be helpful, if that's alright.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Aristocracy

Something I've read ( don't remember where?) that there are 7 Malaysian families and each take turns to rule. So if the head of family 1 is king now after his demise his descendant doesn't inherit the throne but the head of family 2 does.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:55 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess B View Post
Something I've read ( don't remember where?) that there are 7 Malaysian families and each take turns to rule. So if the head of family 1 is king now after his demise his descendant doesn't inherit the throne but the head of family 2 does.
The 'King' or Yang di-Pertuan Agong is elected for a five-year term by and from among the nine Rulers of the Malay states. The 'King' cannot be re-elected again until all other 8 rules have served a term.

Quote:
I'm very interested in Asian and European royal succession and how it works, and the requirements to not be considered "morganic" in some countries. Both disposed and non-disposed succession laws are acceptable, although I'm more interested in the disposed royal families succession laws more. Links would be helpful, if that's alright.
Almost every section on this website contains a thread about the individual countries succession laws.

There are various succession laws see here. Each country has different laws, such as in the UK the succession is dictated by male primogeniture and not equal such as in Denmark, Norway, Sweden etc.