The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asma
What's meant by ''semi salic''?
Male succession in the first instance, female if the male line or lines become extinct. Alternatively, sons first, daughters second. The usual term is 'male primogeniture'.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Gentry

I think that semi-sallic means that the rights to the throne are extended to ALL men in line to the throne before any women.

For example, if Denmark were semi-sallic, then Queen Margarethe's male cousins would have been in line before her, though the possibility for a female monarch would still have been theoretically possible if there were absolutely no eligible males. So semi-sallic is similar but not exactly the same as male primogeniture.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...JuAnItA... View Post
Spain = Male Primogeniture
Am I correct, this means male children are in the line first before their female sisters (like in Elena, Christina and Felipes case).

Is this still valid for Leonor, Sofia and siblings to come? If it is... why are they making such a big fuzz about a boy? They do have an heir (heiress), don't they?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Courtier

Full equal primogenture -Beligum,Nepal,Netherland,Norway and Sweden allows both females and males. The eldest child regardless of sex inherits the throne.

Male prinogenture - Japan. Jordan, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Moroccco, Saudi Arabia, and Swaziland. This is type of succession no females are allowed in the line of sucession. Only males are allowed in type of succession.

Primogenture - Denmark, Monaco, Spain, and The United Kingdom. This type of succession goes by the eldest son of the monarch if there is no son the line is head by the eldest daughter. Their male descents go ahead of their female descents and other family members included in the line of succession.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 08-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

What of Russia and Germany
Old 08-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
What of Russia and Germany
Russia Line of succession to the Russian throne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and here is a thread about Russian succession http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ily-16024.html

Germany Line of succession to the German throne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and about German succession too http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...rns-17019.html
Old 01-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
I think Tonga is Full Linear Succession as in 1900 Queen Salote succeeded her Father King George II despite having two younger brothers.
They use Male preference as all. If there is a male, even if he is younger, he is the next in the line. George II was succeded by his daughter because she was the only surviving child. The king had no sons.

"Queen Takipō had still not brought forth a son. One daughter, ʻOnelua, had died a few months after her birth; another child, ʻElisiva Fusipala Taukiʻonetuku, was still alive, but was a girl too. The hope the envying chiefs had had on an heir through Takipō was fading, and Sālote's supporters' hope rose."
Old 02-12-2009, 10:13 PM

Question about succession in Tudor England

I hope this is the right place for this! :)

I'm writing a General Hospital fanfiction set in AU Tudor England(don't judge me lol). I have a question about succession in England:

In my story, England is ruled by King Edward. His only son, Alan Sr., is dead. Alan had two sons - Alan Jr. and Jason. Before his death, Alan Sr. was Prince of Wales. I hope I'm correct in assuming that the Prince of Wales title would then pass to Alan Jr. since Alan Sr. was the only son of Edward.

Alan Jr. married and had a son, Michael, but then Alan Jr. died. So, who would be next in the line of succession - Jason or Michael?

Thanks so much for any help with this!
Old 02-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Serene Highness

I assume Alan Jr. is older than Jason? If that is the case, Alan Jr. and all of his descendants (so Michael included) would be ahead of Jason in the line of succession. If Michael dies without children and he's an only child, or none of Michael's siblings had children, then and only then (short of abdications) would the throne pass to Jason and his descendants.
Also note: While Prince of Wales is the traditional title of the heir apparent, it is not automatic. Prince Charles had been heir apparent since 1952 but did not receive the title of Prince of Wales until 1958 and his investiture did not take place until 1969.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
I assume Alan Jr. is older than Jason? If that is the case, Alan Jr. and all of his descendants (so Michael included) would be ahead of Jason in the line of succession. If Michael dies without children and he's an only child, or none of Michael's siblings had children, then and only then (short of abdications) would the throne pass to Jason and his descendants.
Also note: While Prince of Wales is the traditional title of the heir apparent, it is not automatic. Prince Charles had been heir apparent since 1952 but did not receive the title of Prince of Wales until 1958 and his investiture did not take place until 1969.
Thank you SO MUCH! This has been driving me crazy for days!
Old 02-12-2009, 10:48 PM

Also, the heirs must be legitimate. Michael's parent were not married when he was born and Jason is the product of one of Alan's extramarital affairs, if I remember my GH history correctly.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waika View Post
Also, the heirs must be legitimate. Michael's parent were not married when he was born and Jason is the product of one of Alan's extramarital affairs, if I remember my GH history correctly.
I think you're right about Jason, but I'm changing a few things to make it work easier for me. Wayyy too many half-siblings/illegitimate children lol. So I'm making him and Emily Monica and Alan's biological children.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Male succession in the first instance, female if the male line or lines become extinct. Alternatively, sons first, daughters second. The usual term is 'male primogeniture'.
I would understand this as saying that Semi-Salic law and male-preferance primogeniture are the same, while I'm sure you know the difference between the two. Semi-Salic law totally excludes females from the line of succession when there are male-line male heirs (a daughter would not succeed if she has uncles or agnatic cousins), while a woman can succeed to a kingdom which follows male-preferance primogeniture simply if she has no brothers (regardless of how many uncles and agnatic cousins she has).
Old 02-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Royal Highness

Sorry if this is a dunce question, but is there a thread available on The Royal Forums that discusses the benefits/negatives of the various types of succession? I know this is a hot topic and people are quite strong on their opinions, but as it's not a straightforward issue understanding the benefits/negatives would be helpful!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula** View Post
But Will change now for Leonor right?
We still don't know it yet, but the government is open in amending the line of succession so we may have a Queen Leonor of Spain someday...I'm hoping this will happen..
Old 06-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Nobility

Succession law

I don't fully understand Luxembourg's succession laws, but from what I can understand, they seem rather interesting to me in the sense that they are unique.

I understand that princesses are not normally in the line of succession, but they come into the line upon extinction of all the males in the line. Could someone explain exactly how the succession works?

I've read somewhere that, should there be no prince of Luxembourg left, the throne would be inherited by the Grand Duke's eldest daughter and her heir-male. Should the eldest daughter have no sons, she would be succeeded by her younger sister or her younger sister's son. Does this mean that an agnatic descendant of Grand Duchess Charlotte's younger sister would have precedence over Princess Alexandra?

Thank you
Old 06-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Aristocracy

I hope it will help:
"The throne is hereditary in the Nassau family and is given through in straight male line according to the right of the first-born male. If there are no male heirs in straight line anymore, the throne is given to the male descendants of another branche. If there is no male heir anymore in all branches, the throne goes according to the right of the first born to the female descendance of the reigning dynasty. Afterwards the succession continues in male line. Princes are not allowed to marry without permission of the sovereign, as otherwise they will loose their rights to the throne, and their titles."
Old 06-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Aristocracy

I think it would be cool if they had equal primogeniture. Women have already proven capable Grand Duchesses (for ex, Grand Duchess Charlotte), and it would definitely be an outward symbol of modernization.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
I don't fully understand Luxembourg's succession laws, but from what I can understand, they seem rather interesting to me in the sense that they are unique.

I understand that princesses are not normally in the line of succession, but they come into the line upon extinction of all the males in the line. Could someone explain exactly how the succession works?

I've read somewhere that, should there be no prince of Luxembourg left, the throne would be inherited by the Grand Duke's eldest daughter and her heir-male. Should the eldest daughter have no sons, she would be succeeded by her younger sister or her younger sister's son. Does this mean that an agnatic descendant of Grand Duchess Charlotte's younger sister would have precedence over Princess Alexandra?

Thank you
No I suppose that Alexandra in this moment comes first after all the dynastic male descendant of GD Charlotte
Old 06-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Nobility

Thank you, Mrs Littrell!

According Mrs Littrell's explanation, Alexandra would come after all agnatic male descendants of Grand Duchess Charlotte's younger sisters. But then again, are there any eligble descendants of Grand Duchess Charlotte's younger sisters? Do they ask for the sovereign's permission to marry? I don't think they do. If they don't, then Alexandra comes after all princes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaiya View Post
I think it would be cool if they had equal primogeniture. Women have already proven capable Grand Duchesses (for ex, Grand Duchess Charlotte), and it would definitely be an outward symbol of modernization.
Why would it be cool to abandon such unique succession law and adopt the boring equal primogeniture (I call it boring because it ruins all the exciting uncertainity of succession)?

Luxembourg is unique in the world because of their succession law and it should be kept.